Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Simpson's Duel

Page: 1 of 1
 Wudan
02-19-2003, 6:38 PM
Ok, so, when I'm bored with other projekts I've been ripping away at a map that is still a WIP, but it's been fun to work on.

1st off, the Simpson's home is not very ... realistic, but I'm doing my best here ...

Ok, here goes:
http://users.sisna.com/tokyopop/wsimpsons1.jpg)
http://users.sisna.com/tokyopop/wsimpsons2.jpg)
http://users.sisna.com/tokyopop/wsimpsons3.jpg)
 The Truthful Liar
02-19-2003, 7:00 PM
Looks pretty accurate in my eyes. Good job. :] Work on the texturing and lighting though.
 Eldritch
02-19-2003, 11:31 PM
I was just thinking about how cool a map like this would be to have the other day... were you reading my mind, wudan?

I like the cell shaded look of everything... don't know how you pulled that off, but it looks good. A couple of nitpicks :

-the windows should be clear (see through)
-the lighting is so bright it hurts the eyes :(
-could just be the lighting, but I think the walls are a darker pink
 Wudan
02-20-2003, 11:37 AM
Cel-shading is thanks to Q3Map2 (and a few shader changes), the lighting in the second pic is r_fullbright 1 :(

I've added some rudimentary lighting to the entire house now, so I can see it and I fixed my problem with the windows, but am afraid to show pics because neither the front room or the dining room are finished :(
 Kengo
02-20-2003, 12:17 PM
It's a really great idea, with a massive number of possibilies for interactivity and secret, things like pressing the TV on bringing on at least the sound of something simpsons-esque, the phone ringing with stupid messages, that kinda things :D
 Darth Link
02-20-2003, 8:07 PM
gee i never thought id see cel shading in JO
 Sam
02-20-2003, 8:15 PM
Looks good. It'd be cool to have a Simpson family model pack to go with it though.
 __CKY__
02-21-2003, 1:02 AM
Yea I agree but the house looks really good dude :D
 dekerd
02-21-2003, 2:13 AM
Very nice. One suggestion though, I think the doorway between the living room and the front window area needs to be wider.
Other than that and some more detail texturing, it's a great idea.
 Eagle_e7
02-21-2003, 11:30 AM
Looks great:)

Keep up the good work:thumbsup:
 Hekx
02-21-2003, 11:57 AM
The first pic looks great, the second is blinding, and the third is okay. It looks good so far, and I can't wait until it's finished.

Any chance of making it a FFA instead? Some secret areas and destructable or interactive objects would rule. :)

How about a music player / jukebox that plays the Sonic Youth version of the Simpsons tune? It would be cool to see the TV actual show TV. I think it's possible to add videos in JK2. If not a shader could work?
 Darth Link
02-21-2003, 6:13 PM
a shader video would be a pretty bad idea. one of the reasons is because the shader file would be huge, like about 30 megs for an episode, or a couple megs for a clip. second, it would be pretty small and unclear due to the size of the TV
 Wudan
02-22-2003, 9:28 AM
Well, the shader file itself is just ASCII, I think you are referring to a ROQ file - I can make an animated shader, it would just have a max of 8 images, so it'd have to be something like a sequence you could fit in an animated GIF.

Yes, the thought has crossed my mind.

A few other projects have moved to the front burner, because this isn't entirely AotC:tc related, and AotC production is back in full swing, I've got some exciting effects and additions, plus we have to work our stuff into the ProMod code, making it 100 percent AWESOME.
 Yun the Sith
02-22-2003, 9:43 PM
It looks a little bright. Just tone down the lighting, and the textures a little too.
 Wudan
02-23-2003, 9:24 AM
Not to worry, will do.
 Eldritch
03-15-2003, 8:34 PM
What's the status, wudan? It's been almost a month now with no updates.

*starts humming the Simpsons theme as he walks away*
 DarkLord60
03-16-2003, 3:12 AM
Heh great job wudan. Simpsons are awesome.
 master_thomas
03-17-2003, 8:44 AM
Originally posted by wudan

Well, the shader file itself is just ASCII, I think you are referring to a ROQ file - I can make an animated shader, it would just have a max of 8 images, so it'd have to be something like a sequence you could fit in an animated GIF.

Maybe give it static(snow, whatever you call it. I've heard lots of names). Then you need a max of like three images or even give it any technical difficulties screens. Maybe make it black as though off, or a sunfade screen (Blue with the following words: This station is temporarily out of service due to an atmospheric condition known as "sun fade" service will resume in about 15-60 minutes , or the test strip(
=========== =========== =========== =========== =========== ==========
==============================================)
Co you know what I mean by this? It's sort of like that only with vertically longer color stripes and the black stripe covers the entire area beneath the colored stripes. I don't know what this is called, but you could put a target_speaker in the television that makes a high-pitched whistling noise. Then, it doesn't have to be animated.

I can't see the pics :(. I know this is a common problem with others, but show picture doesn't work. The white box with the red x in it disappears for one second, then reappears.
 Wudan
03-19-2003, 12:12 PM
The map hasn't been abandoned, I've just been revving up the main projects of the new animation tool I'm writing (don't expect much ... just new animations :) ) and of course AOTCTC.

I have 100mb of webspace in each of my folders with my ISP, I innadvertently nuked them because I hadn't worked on this in some time.

I'm not a fantastic mapper, but I've got more than a few tricks up my sleeve that I've learned since I released my first one (special kudos to whoever can find the first one), and I've scrapped more than a few since the first.

I'm going to finish this map, since there appears to be adequate interest in it.
 SkiTzoGuy
04-07-2003, 3:57 AM
nice house.. IM not that familiar with simpsons but it looks pretty accurate. Great Job
 sematriclen
04-13-2003, 3:00 AM
well i cant see the pics but it sounds like a good idea being a simpsons fan myself
 Wudan
04-13-2003, 9:30 AM
The pics are gone and so is the map, my hard drive ate it. I might start this over again as a saga map for AOTC ... but not for a while.

Please, let this thread die. Better yet, admin, close this.
 Livingdeadjedi
04-30-2003, 8:31 PM
hey dude email me. i have a simpsons house ya might want
and some textures i made. but i dont want to finish it. so i can let you have it =]
Page: 1 of 1