Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Helm's Deep

Page: 1 of 2
 Matt-Liell
01-25-2003, 4:54 PM
I know there was one of these before but I never saw anymore about it. I had planned to make a Rohan map for awhile but decided to make Helm's Deep instead. I was working on my Legolas model and needed help and noone was helping so I decided to continue with Helm's Deep. I just have the rough shapes of the map inplace now except the walkway around the outer wall. I'm working on Uruk-Hai models to spread on the floor to look like they have been killed and when I'm done I'm going to use Chairwalkers orc model if I get permission to put outside the outer wall to give it the Helm's Deep feel. I made this map according to the movie AND my personal ideas so its not movie exact but its pretty close, and with that here it is!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/mattliell/shot0174.jpg)
http://members.lycos.co.uk/mattliell/shot0175.jpg)
http://members.lycos.co.uk/mattliell/shot0176.jpg)
http://members.lycos.co.uk/mattliell/shot0177.jpg)
http://members.lycos.co.uk/mattliell/shot0178.jpg)
http://members.lycos.co.uk/mattliell/shot0179.jpg)
 El Sitherino
01-25-2003, 5:36 PM
nice job on setting up the stucture. cant wait.
 Higginson
01-25-2003, 5:40 PM
Hey Matt, Looks quality, cant wait, and good luck.
 Matt-Liell
01-25-2003, 6:15 PM
Thanks guys, just a note:

It will be darker when I'm finished and the only light will be given off by torches so it won't be bright when it's released.
 Higginson
01-25-2003, 6:23 PM
Yeah thts a good idea, i thought helms deep was lookin a bit bright! but neway lookin forward to sum updates soon!
 boinga1
01-25-2003, 10:21 PM
dude that's massive...incredible. Can't wait to see it done!!
 Altus_Thrawn
01-26-2003, 6:54 AM
Looking very good, nice job on the architecture.
A stupid question, but...why is the tower there. I don't remember a tower from the 1 time I saw the movie....did I just miss it?
 Higginson
01-26-2003, 7:44 AM
How on Earth did u miss the tower? hehe, Its the most noticable thing, apart frm the wall :p But its lookin good Matt, keep up the good work.
 Matt-Liell
01-26-2003, 8:27 AM
I'm having some trouble on two things:

1. Importing some of my custom models, they aren't working for some reason.

2. Making torches that light up the map.

If you can help please do!

And for those of you that missed the tower:p:

http://hot.ee/lotr/tt/hd_model.jpg)
 Higginson
01-26-2003, 8:39 AM
Im not the best mapper in the world but cudnt u just make the torch model and amplify the light source u put on top of it? just a suggestion.
 Matt-Liell
01-26-2003, 10:11 AM
Well that relates to #1, my custom models are not being imported.
 Higginson
01-26-2003, 10:44 AM
Is there a specific file format you hav to save it as? or hav u made the model proply? im not sure of any of this because i dont no about it, ive never tried modelling (proply). these are just suggestions. it probly wont help but its the thought tht counts :)
 Altus_Thrawn
01-26-2003, 10:47 AM
1)Thanks for helping me "un-miss" the tower. :)
2) For the torches, you probably are already doing this but I would just make a torch shaped thing and put it on the wall, and the fire with fx_runner, and have either one small light for each torch or many spotlites.
3) A friend of mine says you should put ladders on the walls like the orcs climed up. A push trigger could be used.

LotR all the way!
 Matt-Liell
01-26-2003, 11:12 AM
All great ideas! I think I may make the ladders and about the fx_runner, do I have to model a flame or does it make one?

I'm compiling the map right now, I changed all those ramps to actual stone stairs and put some mountain textures on the walls. After I test it I'll get some pics and show you then I'll work on the torches.
 Matt-Liell
01-26-2003, 11:55 AM
 Higginson
01-26-2003, 12:12 PM
Lookin better with evry picture:) I wish i cud make good maps! neway keep goin with it and i hope u figure out ur probs soon.
 El Sitherino
01-26-2003, 1:53 PM
hey matt not sure what your gonna do but if you want id like to beta test this. when i do my maps i like havin people with all types of machines check stuff out. but whatever you decide thats fine with me im just tryna get a good reputation as a beta tester. well lemme know if you need help.
 Matt-Liell
01-26-2003, 3:35 PM
Sure you can beta test it when I'm ready Isanesith!
 Higginson
01-26-2003, 4:28 PM
Well about what insanesith said, to have a variety of diffrent systems to test it on. Would I be able to beta test also or is 1 person enough for you?
 Matt-Liell
01-26-2003, 4:37 PM
The more the merrier!:D
 Higginson
01-26-2003, 4:44 PM
Thanx alot Matt, been lookin forward to this map, and now im beta testing it im overjoyed. Cant wait till its done. Good Luck and if you need any help, just ask (probly wont help but im lernin mapping as i type with the richdiesal tutorials).
 boinga1
01-26-2003, 8:46 PM
dude, you must have had some freakin awesome reference pics. Amazing, i don't think i really apreciated how BIG this thing was in the movie.
 wedge2211
01-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Hmm. It desperately cries out to be worked on. It's really blocky, and you should play around with the textures, there are better ones to use, you might even make your own (and vary them, as well). Also, be sure you've got the setting down...there's Helm's Deep itself, the gorge, and then the wall cuts that off from the outside plains, and the Hornburg is at one end of the wall. I'm a huge LotR fan (one of those who has a pretty good idea what everything looks like from reading the books, luckily Peter Jackson is also one of those fans), and what you've got doesn't really look like Helm's Deep to me. You also really need to build some sort of exterior setting...It's hard to see what you're trying to map when it's all built on a random floating square.
 Kain
01-26-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
Hmm. It desperately cries out to be worked on. It's really blocky, and you should play around with the textures, there are better ones to use, you might even make your own (and vary them, as well). Also, be sure you've got the setting down...there's Helm's Deep itself, the gorge, and then the wall cuts that off from the outside plains, and the Hornburg is at one end of the wall. I'm a huge LotR fan (one of those who has a pretty good idea what everything looks like from reading the books, luckily Peter Jackson is also one of those fans), and what you've got doesn't really look like Helm's Deep to me. You also really need to build some sort of exterior setting...It's hard to see what you're trying to map when it's all built on a random floating square.

thats some harsh judgement from someone who only complains. its like that because its a WIP, done a done product. lets see some of your maps.

neways - good stuvs so far.
question - is it gonna be raining and everything?
idea - every so often, you should make (in the sky) arrows go flyin back and forth
last question - is that legolas' sword your using in those pics? need legolas' sword...*eyes glaze over and drools*

keep up da good work! cant wait for this and legolas!
 The Truthful Liar
01-26-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by MydnightPsion
thats some harsh judgement

It's constructive critism nevertheless.
 El Sitherino
01-27-2003, 12:50 AM
well the textures arent worked on yet cuz the map is in structural stage so yeah.. anyways.
 Matt-Liell
01-27-2003, 11:51 AM
Ya, I just have those textures on to get the stucture right. About what you said wedge, I'm creating the inner part of helms deep for play and only have this part done, the map will get bigger later when I'm finished this part and I will make the breached wall. Also as I said this is interpreted from the movie AND my own thouhgts so it might not be exact but it will look alot better after more work, I've only worked on it for 2 days. :rolleyes:

last question - is that legolas' sword your using in those pics? need legolas' sword...*eyes glaze over and drools*

Yes it is my unskinned sword I made, the skin isn't showing up for some reason.
 Arkum
01-28-2003, 12:37 AM
2 days!! Wow, a lot of peopel wouldn't even be this far in 2 days or owuldthey? anyway, nice!
 Matt-Liell
01-28-2003, 12:43 PM
Well we have a choice to make here. I have seen that the other Helm's Deep is being worked on and is looking really nice now this is what we have to decide.

1. Should I continue with Helm's Deep?

2. Do another LotR Map, if so please give suggestions as to which place.
 Altus_Thrawn
01-28-2003, 6:17 PM
Hrrm...both? I love lotr, the more lotr maps the merrier.
Isengard (with the orc-making caverns) could be a good, if difficult map.

Also, I'm pretty sure the FX_runners are just fine by themselves and you don't need to model them.
 Matt-Liell
01-28-2003, 6:23 PM
2 is little much right now for me, cause my Legolas model is finally going to get ingame.
 wedge2211
01-28-2003, 6:45 PM
Matt--sorry if my criticism seemed a little harsh up there...if you want my opinions...:

Yay Legolas model! Get it OUT! :cool:

I think that since there is another Helm's Deep project, you might want to try something different. Isengard could be pretty cool, actually...Some other ideas might include Rivendell, Amon Hen, Cirith Ungol, Osgiliath, Edoras, Lothlorien (ground and flets in the trees), Hobbiton, Mirrormere, or maybe Erebor and Laketown, though those are locations from the Hobbit. Unfortunately, lots of these would take a crapload of skill with patches, loads of custom textures, fine detail work, and about a few years more time than we all have. :) Pick whatever you want, it's up to you. My suggestion is to choose a location that will bring some uniqueness to JKII but would easily fit a FFA game.
 Matt-Liell
01-28-2003, 6:53 PM
Matt--sorry if my criticism seemed a little harsh up there...if you want my opinions...:

No nothing like that wedge, its just that I don't want to waist time making a project that is already being made while I could be making something original!
 Eldritch
01-28-2003, 6:56 PM
thats some harsh judgement from someone who only complains. its like that because its a WIP, done a done product. lets see some of your maps.

If you'd like to see Wedge's 2 released maps, you can download them from http://www.jediknightii.net). You can also see his current WIP in this forum, sooo...

I'd hate to think that you made a comment that wasn't properly researched (insinuating that all Wedge has done is complain, and not done anything else), but that looks like what you've done.

Wedge was spot on with what he said - and aside from that, the sky is not even used properly... the individual sky textures have been used and lit with light entities, rather than use the sky shader.
 Matt-Liell
01-28-2003, 7:02 PM
Well I think I'll make Isengard, any pics for me guys?
 Matt-Liell
01-28-2003, 7:18 PM
Ok I got some good pics so Isengard is going to be worked on!

"There will be no dawn of, Jedi!" - Saruman, In Matt-Liell's soon to come map for jk2!:p
 Arkum
01-28-2003, 8:09 PM
Isengard, cool.

Amon Hen, the last battle in the Fellowship would be sweet thoguh!
 Altus_Thrawn
01-31-2003, 6:16 PM
Cool! You liked my idea!
Will you keep this wip thread or make a new one?
 boinga1
01-31-2003, 7:44 PM
could probably keep this one, get a mod to rename it.
 Matt-Liell
01-31-2003, 8:14 PM
K, after playing it Isengard was BORING so I left that and started Rivendell. Now this time I'm going to make a commitment to finish it and sorry about dropping all these projects guys but I'm pretty busy.
 Pnut_Man
01-31-2003, 8:22 PM
Rivendell is cool, it should work very nicely as an RPG Map..
 Higginson
02-01-2003, 6:34 AM
Hey Matt, May i Beta test Rivendell since your not doin Helms Deep anymore?:rolleyes: I know its a bit early but i got a feelin there will be tons of requests later on, so i thought i would ask early. Hope to see some screenies soon! :D
 Altus_Thrawn
02-01-2003, 6:42 AM
Rivendell will be an awsome map.
1) It has alot of curves so be careful.
2) The walls are rarely smoothe, they are covered in fancy woodwork, which will be hard to make.
GL anyway.
 Matt-Liell
02-01-2003, 7:01 AM
Originally posted by Higginson
Hey Matt, May i Beta test Rivendell since your not doin Helms Deep anymore?:rolleyes: I know its a bit early but i got a feelin there will be tons of requests later on, so i thought i would ask early. Hope to see some screenies soon! :D

Yes and be patient about screens, my first priority for jk2 is my Legolas model.
 wedge2211
02-01-2003, 7:08 PM
rivendell? yow. i hope you've got LOTS of time to spend getting familiar with the almighty patch mesh. :)

Although all that fine tracery and stuff could be done with a shader that you can see through the "empty" portions...
 Perfect Chaos
02-01-2003, 7:27 PM
I wouldn't mind recreating a scene out of LOTR such as Rivendell myself, but I have my map for the DF mod to finish, maybe after that... perhaps making the Barrow-Downs (only seen in the books, for those who have actually read the books) would be interesting, for those who like creepy levels... There are almost limitless levels to make ;)
 boinga1
02-01-2003, 10:02 PM
good luck matt...you're gonna need it.

rivendell, i think you will soon find, is gonna be a nightmare
 Matt-Liell
02-02-2003, 7:48 AM
Originally posted by boinga1
good luck matt...you're gonna need it.

rivendell, i think you will soon find, is gonna be a nightmare

Your right it is. What I really want to do is make a good map with basically a simple location from LotR with a team. You know texture artists cause I don't have the time to make alot of em', and other specialties others may have. If anybody else would like to create that team with me please post here. We can then take a vote on what the map should be.
 Altus_Thrawn
02-02-2003, 8:55 AM
I'd be glad to help, but I just map.
And if all else fails, can I beta test Rivendell or whatever you decide to do?
 __CKY__
02-02-2003, 11:48 AM
I would gladely help but I suck arse in anything with editing for JO Lol But i'd Beta for you or something maybe find pics for you? I dunno lol
Page: 1 of 2