Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Tercero-Anakin Model

Page: 5 of 5
 Elessar-Eдrfalas
08-14-2002, 3:45 PM
i think the one on the left is more accurate, the one on the right looks like its orangy red
 Andy867
08-14-2002, 3:48 PM
That's the thing though, in some bright lights his hair will appear that way... So, that's why I did both pictures, to give a better reality.

OH GOD THERE's THAT R word again!!! LOL

But seriously though, it just helps people better understand that hair will look different, so you can't rely on pictures with certain lights
 agentj64
08-14-2002, 3:51 PM
Jesus crist that is the most amazing facial detial i've seen
certinally well captured by tones color and highlights
an honor to see your post -Tercero-
 djnugget84
08-14-2002, 3:54 PM
in my opinion the hair color should actualy be a little bit of both images. dark hair like the one on the left but with highlights like the color of the one on the right. eather do that or combine them and have a darker color of the one on the right
 Daskers
08-14-2002, 3:57 PM
Great work. This is gonna be a truly excellent model. How much detail will it have as far as things like caps and moving facial features go. Not completely important, but I like a model that I can chop up in a fight.
 Archonon
08-14-2002, 4:58 PM
This is truly the most impressive Anakin model I've ever seen. I can't wait to see this ingame. Tercero, are you making this model with the 3d eyes and mouth? I'd like to put this into SP replacing Kyle as well as having it for MP.

About the hair, wasn't Anakin like dirty blonde? I think he should retain that hair color, since the reddish tones appeared only because of certain lightings and I never recall him brunette. But that's just imo. :)

I love this model. Excellent job.
 Wei St Paliv
08-14-2002, 5:29 PM
Well Well Well.....

This Model certainly looks the fecking best it ever has done.

When can we see more than his face skinned and modelled. We wont get to see ANakins face most of the time, cause he will be infront of us, running around. :P

So when this is all done, have you though about an Obi Wan Kenobi SKin to go with this one. The Episode 1 Obi Wan looks pretty much exactly like Anakin (Model Wise).

I think people want a Spot On Obi Wan Episode 2, so maybe you could do that next.

Well anyway well done on this model. It looks better than any Model in any game I have ever seen based on a real life person. Why real game designers can't do what you are doing is astonishing.

Well Done mate!
 ZePhyR
08-14-2002, 7:45 PM
I like the lighter colored hair like the way Tercero had it. It also seems to me that the braid should be thinner.
 "thA dekMan"
08-14-2002, 7:52 PM
wow i really like the new nose! :p

I think with the hair, the left one is closer than the right, because the right is to orange. I think it needs to be more blonde, not orange. But not to much because he does seem to have brown-ish hair.
 Atsuri
08-14-2002, 8:34 PM
I was just skimming through the threads of the board when I saw your model. I looked at it and was like ... wow... Just one question, are you going to make this for single player and multiplayer? If so that would be awsome!
 morphius_doh
08-14-2002, 9:22 PM
I think the left image is the one to go with, and I think this is as close as we can get to perfection on the face.
 keo718
08-14-2002, 9:25 PM
I say the original.
 Deetox187
08-14-2002, 9:39 PM
yeah i think the original hair looks much better.
 Andy867
08-14-2002, 9:49 PM
The only suggestion I could make for the hair, is make it more sparatic, instead of having it combed to the back of the head... Other than that, just maybe do a little adjustments here and there on the hair for highlights and shadows, and the hair is set. now.. ONTO THE BRAID!!!
 -Tercero-
08-14-2002, 10:21 PM
Back from work...long day...

Okies, now for replies...

As far as the hair, I know I still need to do a lot of work on it - it needs to be reshaped, recolored, and the skin needs a lot of tweaking...as far as the braid, I'm planning on hitting that soon - I just want to nail down his hair color a bit more first.

I'm glad people like the new nose. It increases the polycount by 8 or so, but I think that it's more than worth it. Took me a while to get it looking even remotely good, but I think it's a pretty big improvement all said and done.

On single player, the model is built with facial animations in mind, but they probably won't be in the first release. I might come out with a SP update later, but for now the mouth is modelled all as one piece to save on polys.

And as far as future models, Obi-Wan is my next planned project, of the Episode II kind, with Episode I soon to follow. That might be getting a little ahead of myself at this point, though - I still need to finish this one and get it working first.

On dismemberment, that'll be mainly up to Toonces. I'm building caps into the model, so I guess it will be possible to cut him up into kibbles and bits...

Okies, back to work for me - I should be checking the forums periodically for the next couple of hours, though, if anyone wants to contact me.
 "thA dekMan"
08-14-2002, 11:20 PM
ooo obi ep2 and 1 that would be awesome, and u gotz skillz to. Whatever happened to what? tex60 or something. Those were some good models, and its a shame that they didn't get finished. But its nice to see you taken the job up, and i have faith in you they will turn out awesome|! ;)
 Elessar-Eдrfalas
08-15-2002, 12:47 AM
man that'd own if u did obiwan ep2 style, im not fillin the skin of obiwan fromt he tyrion model, its not original, but if u did it id have no problem with that;) nuff bout obiwan, LETS SEE SOME UPDATEZ!! hahah just jokin', take ur time :D
 Andy867
08-15-2002, 9:13 PM
Hey -Tercero-, hows the model coming along. and by the way, did you get my PM, (asking hows the progress) lol...

"Hey Peter. What's happening. We have a bit of a problem here. Yea, apparently you forgot to put the new cover sheets onto the TPS reports. Did you see.. the memo on this? (Peter Gibbons talks).. You see we are putting these new cover sheets on the TPS reports before they get sent out. So if you could go ahead and remember it for time, that'd be great, oh, and I will get you another copy of memo to ya.. Thanks... "
 SithMaster01
08-15-2002, 9:31 PM
Quote: And as far as future models, Obi-Wan is my next planned project, of the Episode II kind, with Episode I soon to follow. That might be getting a little ahead of myself at this point, though - I still need to finish this one and get it working first.

FFIINNAALLLLYY!!!!!!!!
Someone needs to make a good Obi Wan! I've been waiting for
this forever!!!!
 -Tercero-
08-15-2002, 11:08 PM
Hey, just wanted to let everyone know that the model is still coming along - updates might be slower for the next few days - I'll be working a lot... but they should pick back up on my next day off. I'll be working on it in the meantime too - I'll try to post a shot a day or something. I'm thinking about moving on the the body and coming back to the face at a later point - that way I can get a beta out there faster so everyone who really wants it can have something to tide them over until it is perfected.

I'll try and post up my progress before I hit the hay for tonight - I might add in the cloth tabbards that he wears under the leather ones and work on the shoulders and arms a bit more.

Oh - if anyone has a couple clean shots of his belt pouches I'd really appreciate it. I have the food capsules done, but I'd like to get a better look at the pouches befor I start modelling them. All the ones I have are at funny angles.

If anyone still has feedback on the face, I'd still like to hear it - even the most insignificant details are appreciated!

Oh, one more thing - more a poll than anything - I'm trying to figure out if I should make a robed version too. It'd take longer and have to be a seperate model, but I could make one. I wanted to see how high the demand for one was before I spent the time on making one, however, so if you really want it, just drop me a post. Otherwise I might just release it later in a bigger model pack.
 Eets
08-15-2002, 11:17 PM
Here's a belt pic.

Yeah, you should make a robed version, but after the regular version is complete. :)
 keo718
08-15-2002, 11:18 PM
I vote yes for the robed version(on Tattoine). Asked for the face comments, look at my last couple of posts.
 Andy867
08-15-2002, 11:21 PM
I wouldn't mind a robed version, and with knowing you for perfectionism, mastering the look of it, seeing as how its basically the vader robe, just without the chain holding it up near the neck. but it you think you can get the look right, because it needs to look like a premonition(sp?) of vader, then I say go for it! oh, and the other "voices" say go for it too;)
 "thA dekMan"
08-15-2002, 11:23 PM
http://starwars.carrotnetwork.com/reviews/dlxani.html)

that website has a few pics of the action figure if you can see any detail in that, but i guess it gives the basic positioning. I'll try and find some actually good ones for ya ;)
 Eets
08-15-2002, 11:27 PM
 Andy867
08-15-2002, 11:54 PM
 Deetox187
08-16-2002, 12:14 AM
For sure a robed version would be great, you got my vote. :)
 -Tercero-
08-16-2002, 12:25 AM
I've been considering it for a bit, and I think that I might release the robe as a second version, like Anavel Gato did with his Padme model (fantastic work by the way...) The robe will take a good bit more time to create, considering I'll have to reoptimize the entire model to make way for the extra polys (it's already a little on the heavy side without a robe right now... still being optimized, though...) I might also release a Thousand Moons version (seen breifly on Naboo) if I ever get that far.
 Andy867
08-16-2002, 12:27 AM
Thousand moons? What does that version look like.. where he is wearing the refugee clothing, or where he is wearing the Tan shirt?
 -Tercero-
08-16-2002, 2:06 AM
It's a black shirt with a pretty neat pattern on it - here's a pic

http://www.geocities.com/tercero_bootleg/face13.jpg)

He wears it under the white robe that he wears on Tatooine, it only appears breifly in the movie, but it also appeared in some really nice promo shots - it's a pretty neat design, which is what made me think to make it - and it is very similar to his regular garb, minus the leather tabbards.

I might do it as an alternate skin on an Anakin model without the tabbards (in standard Jedi robes). I like to make as many costumes as possible available for the characters that I make - it's almost like a line of action figures - the same head on 30 different bodies.
 Andy867
08-16-2002, 3:23 AM
here are some more shots to help you with the Carvat and vest he wears on Naboo

http://www.padawansguide.com/anakin_nonjedi.shtml)
 -Tercero-
08-16-2002, 3:43 AM
Okies, here's a screenie of tonight's work - I redid the chest texture - it now features the inner cloth tabbards, as well as being a little bit sharper. The tunic still needs a lot of work, but it'll have to wait for tomorrow... right now I need to get some sleep...zzz

http://www.geocities.com/tercero_bootleg/anakin17.txt)

if that link doesn't work, try this one:

http://www.geocities.com/anakin_tercero/anakin17.txt)
 monsoontide
08-16-2002, 4:43 AM
Excellent.

It takes such a long time to decent textures - I mean to really work them and the mesh to look like the character and not just a generic human face.

I have been dissapointed by some of the model releases recently and I'm really glad you're going for such accuracy.

It's a real art/science to balance skin/mesh/polycount in a model - and then to get it all weighted etc and actually working in JK2.

BTW which programs are you using?

Monsoontide
 Kn1ves
08-16-2002, 6:43 AM
Looking good
Buuuuuuuuut
I don't like those circles under his eyes, you've put two, one stron one light, when there's actually only a single light one.
His lips look too dry, you should soften the cracks and make them a little more alive and red, you can see it in a stronger light.
You can notice those details here:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/anakinskywalker/img/curve.jpg)

Also, I don't really like the skin color, should be lighter IMHO.

But, Model-wise, PERFECT job, and although I was critical about the skin I still think it's FANTASTIC! Great job! :cool:
 morphius_doh
08-16-2002, 8:54 AM
This model is shaping up to be the best one to be released! I only have a few suggestions for the vest, once you work on it more:

Make the vest have a bit of a glossy texture, and add the stitching along the edges, and on the shoulder area.

Here is a pic that shows what I mean.

http://www.padawansguide.com/promo/pages/anakin4_promo.htm)
 keo718
08-16-2002, 9:01 AM
Something is amiss with the face.... You might want to move up his earlobes, lips, nose (yes, even more), and chin (slightly). Also, theres something about the nose shape that isn't exactly right. Check this ref pic and compare.

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/multimedia/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Episode_2/Characters/Anakin_Skywalker&image=aotc-anakin05.jpg&img=&tt=)

http://www.geocities.com/tercero_bootleg/anakin17.txt)

edit: in your anakin14, the nose shape was more accurate, although a bit too wide. And the bottom lip doesn't need to be bigger, but it does need precise shadowing underneath it. Check the ref pic.
 cROsIs**
08-16-2002, 10:24 AM
I honestly font get why everyone in this thread is telling the modeler to DO THIS BECAUSE IT'S NOT ACCURATE. Dude, its an EAR bone, when you play as him your not going to stop in the middle of a game and say, "Hey, you know what.... HIS EARS ARE ALL WRONG".

In my opinion the model is perfect.... getting it to look like the real actor is important, BUT, I think all the nonsence in this thread is taking it a BIT out of hand....

But again, Just my two Republic Credits.
 keo718
08-16-2002, 10:38 AM
If anyone still has feedback on the face, I'd still like to hear it - even the most insignificant details are appreciated!

Without feedback, models do not reach thier full potential. Why don't you ask Tercero if any feedback in this thread helped?

Your saying the model is perfect. How do you think it got that way? It got that way because of the perfectionism of Tercero, and feedback that reveals things he might have not seen.

Everything matters, even down to the earlobes. Why? Because its all proportion. It is properly aligned proportions that cause a model to accurately reflect the person. I mentioned earlier to Tercero that the mid nostril is aligned with the bottom of his earlobes. This means if the earlobes are too long, then so will the nose be. If the nose is too long, amidst other things, it begins to look less like Anakin. That is why I mentioned them. I guess I say these things because I am a portrait artist.
 -Tercero-
08-16-2002, 11:26 AM
Crosis. a big part of the reason that these posts are being made is because I asked for them. If you look at the first pic and compare it with the latest one, they are worlds apart. One small change isn't much, but a hundred of them makes a huge difference, and I've made thousands based off the feedback from this thread.

Thanks to everyone who's put their two cents in - I know people are anxious to have the model, but I've never liked releasing something that I feel is unfinished. When the model is released, I think that it will be one of the best out there, and a big part of it is you guys' input.
 adillon
08-16-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by -Tercero-
Thanks to everyone who's put their two cents in - I know people are anxious to have the model, but I've never liked releasing something that I feel is unfinished. When the model is released, I think that it will be one of the best out there, and a big part of it is you guys' input.

well said, tercero ... both a scholar and a gentleman.

i haven't had any input/criticism/thoughts on your model, but i've read and followed the thread since it's beginning. i've been so *BLEEP* impressed with the work you are able to produce. just a little jealous ...

and you're right, when it is completed, it WILL be one of the best out there. keep up the great work. :D
 cROsIs**
08-16-2002, 3:37 PM
:swear:
 niko9enzo
08-16-2002, 6:19 PM
Great work Tercero!!
i havent posted till now but iґve been reading the thread all the way... keep it up!!
its the best anakin model iґve seen!!

by the way....would you tell me what programs are you using to make this model?? it looks great!
:D
 Dr_Lazarus
08-16-2002, 6:58 PM
*turns into the Crocodile Hunter*

Gorgeous! GORGEOUS! :)
 -Tercero-
08-16-2002, 10:39 PM
Okies - back from work again - had an exhausting day, but a good one - I made over $200 on top of my base pay today, so no complaints out of me...

It'll probably be another slow night for updates - I have to hit the sack soon so I can go back and do it all over again tommorrow. I'm going to try and make some progress, though.

Oh, and if anyone wants me to whip them up shots at any specific angles for critiqueing, just let me know and I'll make it happen!
 Starwalker
08-16-2002, 11:20 PM
Smashing work, Ive been glued to this thread for each update lol
Great work! :)
 mariners2001
08-16-2002, 11:23 PM
hey tercero,

i'd personally like to see a complete front view of anakin as I'm curious how much is done.......
 -Tercero-
08-17-2002, 12:43 PM
Okies, people will be happy to know that over the last few days I've been able to shave off a couple hundred polys without making the model look much different. I'll be optimizing it a bit more over the next couple of days - my goal is to get the first lod to have 3000 polys.

Here is a BIG screenie of the new model:
http://www.geocities.com/tercero_bootleg/anakin18.txt)

or if that link doesnt work, try this one:
http://www.geocities.com/anakin_tercero/anakin18.txt)

Oh, I also wanted to see if anyone wanted Anakin to be able to move his mouth for SP. I'td probably be pretty difficult to do - I'd more than likely release it as a patch for the model after it is released, if at all - I just wanted to get some feedback on how much people wanted this feature.

Also, I'm also probably going to release in the first pack a variant without the leather pauldrons - it should add some variety, and it'll give people a pretty good platform to make additional padawans from. I'll whip up some development skins when it's ready if anyone's interested.

All right gotta get going - tell me what you think!
 SpYzEr
08-17-2002, 12:50 PM
That looks great! Keep up the good work:D
 Grafox
08-17-2002, 12:51 PM
Some constructive crit. He looks to young in that last pic, like a 12 year old, make him look older :)
 KBell
08-17-2002, 12:54 PM
in my opinion, i think you should release a seperate mod that enables Anakin to move his mouth, like you said, and within the same pk3 file, just add the file that converts Kyle to Anakin for SP cause im sure you will get alot of people askin for a SP one from you :p
Page: 5 of 5