Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Mars

Page: 1 of 2
 wedge2211
11-03-2002, 4:50 PM
Star Wars characters visiting our own solar system? What? WHAT?!

http://wso.williams.edu/~jshoer/outcast.htm)

Outcast Free-for-all, on the planet named for the God of War.
 Takeoffyouhoser
11-03-2002, 5:13 PM
looks pretty good. Are you going to have an outdoor mars area ?
also, those kejim wall textures look best if you shorten the wall 3 or 4 units and add another brush above the wall to add a trim texture to the top. they do not look as stretched that way.:)
 wedge2211
11-03-2002, 7:42 PM
Hmm, i'll think about that.

Yeah, you will be able to go outside. The idea is that there's a base set into a canyon wall, so you can take an elevator topside and walk around a bit on the surface, but there will also be hangars opening into the canyon and such.
 Eldritch
11-04-2002, 8:08 AM
How will you be able to walk around on the surface with that decompression and lack of atmosphere? :D

Map is off to a great start, though.
 wedge2211
11-04-2002, 1:31 PM
Don't get too scientific on me. Heh, heh. ;)

I just finished making it play Holst in the background!

Now, I ahve 2 questions for people out there...

(1), How can I edit a fog shader? I want to make red fog (now for you scientific types, I *KNOW* there's barely any moisture on Mars, I just want a canyon to fade into the distance but I want it to fade to RED, so I think I'll do it with fog.)

(2), Does the speed key of a func_train translate to some definite value of units/second? I have a door in from of an enclosed func_train, and I ONLY want the door to open when the func_train is present, and since funcs can't trip trigger_multiples, I figure I'll set off the door with a func_timer that is timed to go off each time the train gets to the destination. And I'd hate to get the value slightly wrong so that it starts okay but halway through a FFA game the door is suddenly openeing when the train is gone and closing when it is there. Not too useful. :)
 Eldritch
11-04-2002, 3:49 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211

(1), How can I edit a fog shader? I want to make red fog (now for you scientific types, I *KNOW* there's barely any moisture on Mars, I just want a canyon to fade into the distance but I want it to fade to RED, so I think I'll do it with fog.)

(2), Does the speed key of a func_train translate to some definite value of units/second? I have a door in from of an enclosed func_train, and I ONLY want the door to open when the func_train is present, and since funcs can't trip trigger_multiples, I figure I'll set off the door with a func_timer that is timed to go off each time the train gets to the destination. And I'd hate to get the value slightly wrong so that it starts okay but halway through a FFA game the door is suddenly openeing when the train is gone and closing when it is there. Not too useful. :)

Answers:

1) I know it's possible, but I don't know how. You could ask WhiteShdw, I believe he's edited fog shaders before.

2) Yes. The speed key translates to 1:1 (1 unit per second). To do what you're looking to do, though, I'd make a small map to test the timing and stuff.
 WhiteShdw
11-04-2002, 4:58 PM

It's pretty easy to do. Just open up the fogs.shader file in ShaderED for an example. There you can easily set the draw distance and color of your fog.

Also have a look at the actual code of the fogs.

Setting the draw distance is easy to do, but if you want to change the color you should really use BehaveEd, because you have to use an RGB value and that's not easy to get. Let me know if you're having trouble.
 Shadriss
11-04-2002, 5:02 PM
Hehehe. FUNC_Timer. And to think that until I found it, we didn't really know what it was for! :)

At least, if wee did, ,no-one bothered to say anything THEN!

Good looking map, BTW. I noticed you mentioned (on the page) a few of the prominant Martian landscapes, such as the face. You gonna try to work that in also, ,or no?
 wedge2211
11-04-2002, 9:28 PM
Um, hmm, Valles Marineris (sp?) is the H-U-G-E Martian version of the grand canyon. I'm not even gonna TRY to do anything for Olympus Mons, WAAAY too big. :) The face though, that's a good idea...if it was real...

http://wso.williams.edu/~jshoer/outcast.htm) for some NEW SHOTS!!! I did put trim on the kejim textures, they look much better now. I've experimented with a couple industrial-looking doors that include grating textures (you can see through em :) ), and I managed to get my lift door thingy working (sorta) by just putting a trigger in the path of the elevator at the destination point so when the elevator gets there, the rider trips the trigger and the door opens. ;) EXTERIOR SHOTS, TOO...I'm using one of the Tattoine skyboxes floating around...the rocks are still very rough-looking, but I'm working on it!

Thanks for the fog help...what exactly is draw distance now?
 Shadriss
11-05-2002, 7:26 AM
Interesting idea on the grating... my only question there would be, doesnt that negate the effect of the areaportals? If you can see through them, the engine has to draw whats there. Cool idea, but will the tradeoff in performance be worth it?

As to the face - I know it doesn't exist 'per se', but those shadows that form it are pretty close to one. What's wrong with a little 'poetic licence' so to speak?
 WhiteShdw
11-05-2002, 9:47 AM
Thanks for the fog help...what exactly is draw distance now?

textures/fogs/fog1
{
qer_editorimage textures/fogs/fog.tga
qer_nocarve
surfaceparm nonsolid
surfaceparm nonopaque
surfaceparm fog
surfaceparm trans
q3map_nolightmap
fogparms ( 0 0 0 ) 256.0
cull disable
}

This is a basic fog shader code. There is only one row which you need to edit:

"fogparms ( 0 0 0 ) 256.0"

( 0 0 0 ) This is where you input the color in RGB values. This is best done in ShaderEd, because there you get a pop up window that allows you to select different colors.

256.0 This is where you set the draw distance or view distance. This value defines how far you can see in the fog. It's measured in Radiant Grid units.
 wedge2211
11-05-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Shadriss
Interesting idea on the grating... my only question there would be, doesnt that negate the effect of the areaportals? If you can see through them, the engine has to draw whats there. Cool idea, but will the tradeoff in performance be worth it?

I think so...the only doors I've done that with are doors in front of elevators, so there really isn't a whole heck of a lot of extra area being drawn. On my computer, when I did a BSP fastVIS, the FPS in those areas was around 90. :) It does look really neat, though, I'm gonna keep it.
 wedge2211
11-05-2002, 1:03 PM
Cool, I have some good fog effects, and the outdoor area is just about finished, then I'll complete the underground levels. Oh, and I rationalized the decompression thingy...let's say the players have suits and can breathe and not explode in the thin Martian atmosphere, but if you puncture the base you still get a lot of wind trying to get outside. Heh heh...
 Shadriss
11-05-2002, 3:06 PM
Good call on the doors, then. I got the impression originally that most of you doors would have it... but if it's only those few, I agree, the effect will be nice.
 Eldritch
11-05-2002, 4:41 PM
Looks more and more impressive. I like the idea of seeing part of the base from the outdoors area(s). Specifically the shot of the window built into the side of the cliff. Very cool. Also the sky and ground look great.
 wedge2211
11-05-2002, 7:57 PM
I'm uploading a new round of screenies now, including some showing curves as sand dunes, the air lock, a view through one of the grate-doors, and my red fog. And the heart of the ventilation system. :)
 Elijah
11-05-2002, 11:17 PM
That map looks great... i'm really diggin' that out side area, the read lighting is awsome! :thumbsup:
 wedge2211
11-06-2002, 12:01 AM
Okay, a couple people complimented the skybox, and i think I mentioned this before but I'll say it again to be safe, it isn't MY skybox. I pulled it outta one of the Tatooine maps floating around out there, it was just way too perfect. I'll figure out exactly whose it is and give em full credit in the readme. But thanks anyways!

Colorizing the rock and sand textures helped a lot, too. ;)

AND, I have finished up the basic outside area, and I'm moving on to the second (of 3) underground levels...Should go fairly quickly...my elevator/door timers are working nicely, too.
 The Truthful Liar
11-06-2002, 12:57 AM
Nice map but could you please make the images a tad smaller and/or perhaps COMPRESS them? :cool: It's takes quite a while to load even on my broadband. :p
 wedge2211
11-06-2002, 1:50 PM
I just figured out my "Carexa Station" areaportal problems...I'm going to detour from MArs to finish that up just to get rid of it, though it's certainly not as cool as this map. :-D
 wedge2211
11-07-2002, 7:57 PM
Okay, eh, Carexa's hopeless, I keep hitting snags and the frame rate sucks. Back to Mars then...
 wedge2211
11-08-2002, 12:36 AM
Here's a shot of the basic layout in Radiant: http://wso.williams.edu/~jshoer/images/editingshot.jpg)

Basically, you run around inside the base that's built into the cliff wall and on top of the cliff area that's directly above the base, the canyon itself is just for show (and throwing people into, of course :D). I want to get some general opinion...do you all think it would be better to leave the map as is, playable on only one side of the canyon, or build in a natural stone bridge to cross over and some stone formations on the other side? Nothing too extensive, basically a couple of rocks to jump around on and some goodies (ie, rocket launcher/disruptor), but it would certainly expand the arena and the possiblities.
 Grets Sirob
11-08-2002, 12:43 AM
I'd have to say yes.
If you can pull it off and still have a decent framerate, most deffenitly yes.
Always look for a chance to expand a map, makes it more fun.

And also add some destructable stuff, such as the rocks, maybe some pipes(I've always thought that it'd be fun to blow a chunk out of the wall, but you don't have to do that).
Make it logical though. Don't have the entire thing explode, have some undestructable parts of the entire object.

I can't wait to play this map, sounds very fun.
But don't rush it, never rush a map(I should know that, I've had a map in production since the tools came out, and it's still sitting on my hd...:eek: ).
 wedge2211
11-08-2002, 2:01 AM
 SunBurN
11-08-2002, 2:21 PM
The map looks really good, but one suggestion. You might want to experiment with stretching the textures for the rock/canyon faces. They look was too pattered. If you don't know how to do it, let me know.

And if you know how, but like them the way they are...then that's fine too...just offering my opinion :)

SunBurN
 Grets Sirob
11-08-2002, 3:26 PM
Wedge,
I noticed while going through your screenshots, one which was called, "What will be the levelshot."
Allow me to help you on this.

When you make a level shot, before you take the screenshot, always type the following codes into th consel:

cg_draw2d 0(turns off all 2d objects, such as the hud, avatar, and other things on the screen)
cg_drawgun 0(turns off the weapon)

This will give your map a much more professional look, as the start up screen will not show any excess items, and only showcase the level.

Great map otherwise, I'll deffinetly download it. As long as it includes bot support.

And since some people seem to have trouble bot supporting, if you don't feel up to the task, allow me to help you out. I'm not the best bot router, but I can make it if you need it to be. I feel that bot routes are the final thing that add a professional feel to a map. It is essential, otherwise some people will not download the map(such as me, although I do occasionally download maps without bot support, due to the incredible detail to the map. I then bot route it myself.).

Please take my suggestions to heart, as it will make the map much better, not that it isn't a good map to start with. :)
 wedge2211
11-08-2002, 4:24 PM
I was just thinking about varying the rock textures myself, actually. What I did origianlly was take the Artus rock texture and colorize it with a red filter, but then I re-discovered all the rock textures in the Yavin set, so that'll give me some extra rocks to bang together. I don't really like the regular appearance of the canyon walls, either. :)

Thanks Grets! About the levelshot, the picture caption really only meant that that's the angle of the shot. RichDiesal's tuts go on quite a bit about how to take uber-quality levelshots and such (though I'm not averse to just typing "levelshot" myself). I'm okay with handling that.

I've seen a couple bot-support tutorials and descriptions, and I think I have a pretty good idea of how bot supporting works. THis is my first map for public release, though...I'd like to try it myself and get a feel for it before I ask for help. Thanks for the offer!
 Grets Sirob
11-08-2002, 8:32 PM
No problem, always glad to help!

It's great that you're going to extra mile and adding but routes and a great levelshot. I find that those two things, while seemingly not that important, are one of the key things that can make a great map even better.
 buckman
11-10-2002, 4:15 AM
I would like to point out that the skybox used in this map, wich is seen in the screenshots, is made by me for my tatooine-map...and normaly i would let you use it, but it turns out that it may be used in the Attack of the Clones: TC. Im sorry to say this but im afraid that i cant let you use it :(

Good luck with the map, it looks really good...

-Buck out :duel:
 The Truthful Liar
11-10-2002, 9:09 AM
Ahh, that's a shame. Well don't loose hope, if I have time perhaps I could work on the skybox. :cool:
 wedge2211
11-10-2002, 11:34 AM
D'oh. Ah well, I can get around it, although I must say it looks really cool with that skybox. Any chance we can both use it? :D I'll pull it out, though, sorry.

Can anybody point me to that skybox-making program out there, I forgot where to look.
 buckman
11-10-2002, 2:05 PM
i used the trialversion of Bryce to make that tatooine skybox, its a truly amazing program...you should try it out its not that hard.
 wedge2211
11-10-2002, 4:39 PM
Cool, I think I've heard it mentioned a few times. Anyone have a link?
 buckman
11-11-2002, 4:31 AM
http://www3.corel.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=Corel/TrialSoftware/Index)

ill try to find a tutorial for you too, ill post here when i find a good one ;)
 wedge2211
11-11-2002, 8:46 AM
Cool, thanks. I think there were too many clouds in that skybox for Mars, anyways. :)
 wedge2211
11-11-2002, 4:41 PM
Okay, now that that's been sorted out, we can move underground again......couple more screenies!

http://wso.williams.edu/~jshoer/outcast.htm)

AB_Legion....I'll be pretty busy in the coming week (what's with all this work in college?)...can I take you up on the offer to do a skybox for me?
 buckman
11-12-2002, 5:05 PM
I have to say this now, i have been browsing through your screenshots and i must say that they look fantastic. That long hallway and how the interior blend together with the exterior. it looks really cool that some parts of the buildings can be seen from outside :D

and one other thing, non of the screenshots from 11 Nov shots, 3rd level interior works. You just get a message File Not Found...
 wedge2211
11-12-2002, 5:11 PM
Thanks a lot...there's some more eye candy up there for you as of today, I have FINSIHED the interior architecture. The hangar bay is also visible form the exterior, to the right and down from the window in the cliff, I haven't taken a shot of that yet though, I'm going to wait till I can crank myself out a new skybox.

Has anyone else seen those file not found errors? I tried the links and they seem to work, but I'm accessing them from inside the network.

BTW, I expect this thread will be moved to the showcase forum any time now, watch ther for updates. I estimate completion this weekend. :D
 wedge2211
11-16-2002, 4:01 PM
 MuRaSaMuNe
11-16-2002, 6:59 PM
Wow... nice environment :thumbsup:
 wedge2211
11-20-2002, 7:45 PM
OK, things have slowed down a little, but I'm getting back on track...here goes:

First off, I'm in desparate need of a skybox. I would REALLY like anyone (buckman, you mentioned this, and I'd really appreciate it) to point me to a Bryce 5 tutorial and how to use Bryce to make skyboxes. If no one can do that, would someone be willing to make me a Martian skybox??? I would REALLY appreciate it. I'm going to go Beta VERY SOON with a temporary sky, but I need a polished one.

Speaking of beta, I still would like a few testers!! Check the Beta Testing forum for details on that front.

As for general progress - The only things I have left to do are finishing one of the traps, finish putting in player spawn points, and then do some bot routing. Then as soon as I ahve a couple more testers I will do some beta testing and then RELEASE! I'm more than a little excited.

Anyone interested in testing or helping me out with the skybox?!?! I can finish this thing before the weekend if I can get these few things done!
 wedge2211
11-22-2002, 9:22 PM
I ahve FINSIHED with the architecture, FINSIHED with details in the map, FINSIHED with placing entities and making the levelshot and everything...except bot routing. I tried this just now, myself. It worked, except my bots tend to get stuck between two waypoints. It's very frustrating. I spectated an all-bot round and watched as, one by one, each of the bots got themselves snagged on a corner of hung up between two waypoints.

Is anyone out there, experienced in bot support, willing to add waypoints to this map?

Also, I'm still in need of a skybox...
 wedge2211
11-23-2002, 4:56 PM
I have released the Mars map beta to testers! I expect a final release sometime around or immediately after next weekend.

I fixed the bot routing myself, it works well now. But I released the beta with a temporary skybox!! AAAAH! NEED SKYBOX!
 Altus_Thrawn
11-24-2002, 8:58 AM
I would help you if I could..............

Forgive my lack of knowledge in this matter, but if you were to find a picture on the net of martian sky, could you use that?
 nucular_jedi_14
11-25-2002, 11:07 AM
nice map i'll beta test if you need it
 wedge2211
11-29-2002, 11:20 AM
Problem with a picture of the actual Martial sky is that it has to wrap around (360 panorama) and it has to have a "top."
 wedge2211
12-06-2002, 1:07 AM
I've decided, the hell with it, the temporary skybox is good enough for some mad gameplay.

Release on Saturday!!
 wedge2211
12-07-2002, 2:47 PM
MARS FFA IS NOW EXITING MY EMAIL OUTBOX FOR THE FILES SECTION OF JKII.NET

Thank you to all who helped me out on this project, I'm really glad to see it go out of my hands and into the community.

The map includes many playable areas, including a hangar, cargo bays, life support bays, vents, control rooms, locker rooms, computer rooms, and exterior areas; I have also included background music (Holst's "Mars, the God of War"). The beta testers (thank you, thank you) said that this was a fun map to play, I hope you all enjoy it. Look for it on jkii.net soon!
 Hellfire Jedi
12-07-2002, 2:58 PM
I loved beta testing this m8 i love your maps i wish to see more from you from now on ok m8 u rock!

Also one little thing u think u could make a realistic rendition of the EP2 council building if you can thanks a lot man!!
 wedge2211
12-07-2002, 3:03 PM
Thanks, have fun with the real version! :)
Page: 1 of 2