Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Yarael Poof

Page: 3 of 4
 El Sitherino
11-30-2002, 7:18 PM
hey you think i could beta test? if not oh well. just a question
 t3rr0r
11-30-2002, 7:36 PM
Originally posted by Psyk0Sith
I think i will resize him...but should i make the skeleton taller or leave it to default and use the mod? Not all servers have the
resize mod...
personally, i think you should leave it up to the mod to make him taller.
 El Sitherino
11-30-2002, 7:42 PM
Originally posted by t3rr0r

i agree seeing how hes taking time out of his life to make this for us.
 Padawan_7
11-30-2002, 8:20 PM

Yeap, I too agree.
 Elessar-Eдrfalas
12-01-2002, 2:38 AM
this is coming out amazing! i was going to attempt this guy! but i was told a while ago that the bone structure didnt allow it so i didnt..:p but i guess people were wrong, lol this is looking great guys, keep up the great work.
 Psyk0Sith
12-01-2002, 2:17 PM
resizing the whole thing takes about 45 seconds (time to load 3D max, load the file and use the scale tool!)...

i will do it and post a screenshot later.
 t3rr0r
12-01-2002, 2:27 PM
resizing the whole thing takes about 45 seconds (time to load 3D max, load the file and use the scale tool!)...

i will do it and post a screenshot later.
but it will be more difficult for jedimod, etc. to resize him correctly... he'll be really, really big if you use the tck scaling on the scaled skeleton... since his scaled height would be 1.47 (since kyle = 1.8m = 1). :O
 Psyk0Sith
12-01-2002, 4:07 PM
T3rr0r:
I would have made 2 versions of the model, the default one would have been normal height (re-scaled with jedimod) and the other one would be loaded through the console when there is no mod to resize him.

but let's forget about my crazy ideas:

it does work, but he is walking through the ground because of the skeleton's origin. When i move the whole thing (to have everything at normal floor height) things get really screwed up.

This was possible in quake 3 so i thought it would work the same in JK2.

So default size it is.
 NeoMarz1
12-01-2002, 6:53 PM
Just sent Psyko the First final skin texture.

heres what I did...
1) darkened the robe
2) Changed the skin Hue, and lightened it.
3) Made Red, Blue, and Sith varient.
4) Finished Icons.
5) adjusted facial texure to look more like the movie shots.

Should be some screenshots soon... keep watching the thread.
Mars out!:D
 Master_Payne
12-01-2002, 10:46 PM
Great model (and skin too), after this one someone should try a kaminoan
 NeoMarz1
12-02-2002, 12:45 AM

but it will be more difficult for jedimod, etc. to resize him correctly... he'll be really, really big if you use the tck scaling on the scaled skeleton... since his scaled height would be 1.47 (since kyle = 1.8m = 1). :O

Yeah I just tried it at 1.5 (maybe a little tall) but hell, Its way cool fighting Yarael when he's the right size. That huge saber sliced through me like butter. I sent Psyko the screeny, I hope he posts it... This model has gotten me more "psyked" since I made the sizing adjustment. Wayyyyyyyyyyy cool!
Mars out...

By the way I used Jedi Mod 3 .cfg- More servers should support these mods.
 NeoMarz1
12-02-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Master_Payne
Great model (and skin too), after this one someone should try a kaminoan

Yeah I agree, Only thing is that the race seems slow and gracefull. I dont know if they would make good fighters. I still would like to see it.

Mars out!
 Psyk0Sith
12-02-2002, 3:39 PM
as promised by marz...

http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/screenyarael.jpg)

Will post more soon...thanx marz! the skins rock!

if you cant see it anymore, copy/paste this link
 t3rr0r
12-02-2002, 4:42 PM
as promised by marz...

Will post more soon...thanx marz! the skins rock!
rofl... he's quite intimidating. :D
 Eldritch
12-02-2002, 5:10 PM

rofl... he's quite intimidating. :D

*Gulp*... he is scaled up, right? ;)

Both model and skin look great... can't wait to download it!
 Hekx
12-02-2002, 6:46 PM
Oh... my.. god...

Lovely :)
Look foward to seeing him scaled in JediMod :p

He looks quite.. demonic... the stare...

Good work :thumbsup:
 quamosity
12-02-2002, 7:51 PM
yeah psykosith, feel free to include the hilt
 Sebulba-Dug
12-03-2002, 12:51 AM
Okay, from what I've seen, he kcks ass (He's my favorite Jedi) I know a lot about how he should look and every thing so if ya ever need a bit of help email me!

thatsashot@yahoo.com
 Sebulba-Dug
12-03-2002, 12:55 AM
P.S. Is the a release date? Sorry, I had to ask.
 Eldritch
12-03-2002, 9:35 AM
Originally posted by Sebulba-Dug
P.S. Is the a release date? Sorry, I had to ask.

Don't be afraid to use the http://www.lucasforums.com/images/edit.gif) button. It's useful for editing your original post, rather than posting a new one. ;)
 Mex
12-03-2002, 10:43 AM
Nice picture, he is big tho, maybe a little too big!

and whats the skin you are using to face Poof? Looks cool! :)
 nomad
12-04-2002, 12:34 AM
That in-game screenshot has me real excited :D
I finished recording this evening and I plan to mix down late tonight. I hope you all like it. I think we captured what we attempted to do with it.
My Brother, Stephen, is the voice talent. He and I totally agreed with each other on how his voice should sound. I wrote a bunch of lines for him and then we just winged it until we found the voice we were looking for.

Padawan_7, I'm sorry that I didn't reply to your question before... heh, I kept meaning to, but I was trying to figure out the same thing as you. "What should his pitch be?" Based on the whole long tube thing, I was trying to figure out how high-pitched that would make it.
You should have seen us, testing sounds and voices through all different types of brass instruments and tubes and such.
Length and width both effect the pitch, but the materials that the tube is made of can affect it even more so.
We eventually went with the voice that I had, pretty much, originally thought of.
The pitch is not very high at all. I could equate it to an old and wise monk, who has spent countless years meditating in a mountain some where in The Orient.
Of course, I haven't edited this stuff yet, and we'll see how I like it when I start playing around with it. I expect it to remain pretty simple... but we'll see.
Anyway all this talk is quite boring compared to the interesting things the model and skin makers have to say... so I'll stop rambling...

now.

-nomad

MTFBWY

Oops... hehe We also have put together a bunch of sounds for Hans Moleman's Watto model. I really think everyone will love these, but their editing will take a back seet to my work on Yareal :D
 Kit Fisto
12-04-2002, 1:15 AM
That really does look awesome. Great work :)
 Padawan_7
12-04-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by nomad
Padawan_7, I'm sorry that I didn't reply to your question before... heh, I kept meaning to, but I was trying to figure out the same thing as you. "What should his pitch be?" Based on the whole long tube thing, I was trying to figure out how high-pitched that would make it.
You should have seen us, testing sounds and voices through all different types of brass instruments and tubes and such.
Length and width both effect the pitch, but the materials that the tube is made of can affect it even more so.
We eventually went with the voice that I had, pretty much, originally thought of.
The pitch is not very high at all. I could equate it to an old and wise monk, who has spent countless years meditating in a mountain some where in The Orient.
Of course, I haven't edited this stuff yet, and we'll see how I like it when I start playing around with it. I expect it to remain pretty simple... but we'll see.
Anyway all this talk is quite boring compared to the interesting things the model and skin makers have to say... so I'll stop rambling...

now.

-nomad

MTFBWY

Oops... hehe We also have put together a bunch of sounds for Hans Moleman's Watto model. I really think everyone will love these, but their editing will take a back seet to my work on Yareal :D

No problem nomad. Wow, it sounds like you and your brother have really worked hard on creating Yarael's sounds. I'm sure both of you will be able to make him sound right.:D I can't wait to play and hear Yarael Poof!

Oh and that's good news about Watto. I didn't know you were working on sounds for him too. That's good to hear!
 Mex
12-04-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Flanders

Could somene awnser my question?
 frendon
12-04-2002, 1:10 PM

Could somene awnser my question?

that's one of the ctf skins for the ep2obi model that toonces, arco and neomarz are working on.
 Andi Ken-Obi
12-05-2002, 3:24 PM
I will also work on making that poof saber non-jedimod compatible
I have a non jedimod compatible lightsaber package from Quamosity and thereґs already Yaraelґs lightsaber included.
I added a saber icon for the weapon bar as you can see on that screenshot.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/fitaclan/andi/shot0000.jpg)

If requested, I could submit a link for download.
 Taigan
12-05-2002, 3:47 PM
Yarael is my least favourite from the jedi council,But now im actually anxious to have it!
AHHHHHHH
 quamosity
12-05-2002, 6:20 PM
wow, I completely forgot about that original package. You have my permission to re-release the saber with the graphics. Thanks for doing them.

oh, and I would like to download em, too :)
 NeoMarz1
12-05-2002, 10:16 PM

well you may be right. I was looking at the Zam Wessel comic as a reference for his height. Comics tend to exagerate for effect. In one scene he looks almost to be twice the size of Zam! In the cfg file it's an easy fix, so don't worry too much about that! We will come up with a good Height, right guys? :D Mars out!
 NeoMarz1
12-05-2002, 10:22 PM

Could somene answer my question?

Glad you asked... It does look rather interesting eh? :D Its the Sith version of my ObiWan. Should be released soon:D I think Toonces said it may come out the weekend (Obi that is)

Mars out!
 nomad
12-06-2002, 1:20 AM
Marz, what size was he in that screenie?
I tried him out at 1.4
Check out this pic:

http://www.starwars.com/episode-i/snapshot/2000/11/snapshot20001113.html)

It's a good one for trying to determine Yarael Poof's size. Remember, he is sitting down in this picture. I was glad to see that you had him very large in that first in-game shot, because I was afraid that people wouldn't realize how tall he really is.
Great job on the skin!!

And Psykosith, really awesome job on the model. It looks great and it moves very well. I see you used the Mon Mothma style for the bottom of the robe's weighting. It works quite well.
If only we could make his head sway with JK2's engine.

Just so everyone knows, Yarael seems like a very peaceful being, and his taunts reflect that.

-nomad

MTFBWY
 Andi Ken-Obi
12-06-2002, 2:15 PM
Thanks for your permission quamosity, Iґm glad that you like it. I also added icons to the other sabers in your package (except Quinlan Vos) because I donґt like to have a new saber model and still see the default icon of Kyleґs.
I hope that everyone who wanted the saber will enjoy it. So hereґs the link.

Saber Poof ( http://mitglied.lycos.de/fitaclan/andi/saber_poof.zip)
 Taigan
12-06-2002, 4:11 PM
So.....
Is it coming out real soon?:D:lsduel: :dsaber: :slave: :wan: :mauls: :jfett:
 NeoMarz1
12-06-2002, 8:47 PM
Originally posted by nomad
Marz, what size was he in that screenie?
I tried him out at 1.4

-nomad

MTFBWY

Yeah we must think about the same, I did it at 1.5! Based on the fact that we have similar numbers, we cant be too far off! Anyone one else have any thoughts on the sizing?

Mars out!
 t3rr0r
12-06-2002, 9:27 PM
Originally posted by NeoMarz1
Anyone one else have any thoughts on the sizing?
since his scaled height would be 1.47 (since kyle = 1.8m = 1). :O
:p
 Psyk0Sith
12-07-2002, 1:55 AM
I also used 1.4 to size him, it looked pretty good.

nomad: is it ok if i send the soundpack to the beta testers? i think they should listen to it and give some feedback.

By the way i lowered the pitch of the voice to a whole step down, and it makes him sound more like a monk like you said. If you have cool edit or something like that, you should try it and let me know what you think.

and maybe some examples could be linked here so others can hear what he could sound like...
 Padawan_7
12-07-2002, 2:57 AM
t3rr0r, actually Yarael Poof should be scaled down a little lower than 1.47.

It's true Yarael is 2.64 meters tall and Kyle is 1.8 meters tall. And thus, the scaling factor would normally be 1.47....but you have to take in consideration that when Kyle is measured as 1.8 meters tall, that's from his head to his feet as attached to the JKII skeleton. The Yarael Poof model's head is attached way above the JKII skeleton’s position for Kyle's head (do to Yarael's neck length). So his scale should be adjusted accordingly. ;)
 NeoMarz1
12-07-2002, 10:54 AM
Just sent Psyko the final skin pack. It looks pretty good, so there shouldn't be anymore adjustments (with exception to model tweaks) I added a new "green robed" varient... Oops I just thought of something... Hey Psyko, did we want to keep the "green skinned" varient as a choice? (e-mail me on this matter)

On top of that I just finished the icons. Which were a pain due to Yaraels size. His long neck forced me to downsize the image causing problems with resolution. I made some good compromises, so it doesnt look too bad. Mars out!
 Enjoi9187
12-07-2002, 11:10 AM
padawan, so you are saying that the 2.64 meters on yareal ARENT from his head to his feet? meaning, if kyle is 1.8 from head to toe, and in game he is 1, and yareal is 2.64 from head to toe, then the same rules apply
 Psyk0Sith
12-07-2002, 2:31 PM
marz, i only got the screenshot?, haha it looks cool! :D thanx!

http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/yarael_vs_yoda.jpg)

(copy paste if ya cant see it)
http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/yarael_vs_yoda.jpg)

could you please send the skin pack again?, i dunno what i happened but it's not in my box.

oh and about the icons, should i send new ones with close ups of his face?
 Padawan_7
12-07-2002, 5:00 PM
Originally posted by Enjoi9187
padawan, so you are saying that the 2.64 meters on yareal ARENT from his head to his feet? meaning, if kyle is 1.8 from head to toe, and in game he is 1, and yareal is 2.64 from head to toe, then the same rules apply

No, Yarael is 2.64 meters tall from his head to his feet. What I'm trying to say (this is difficult without a picture)....well, picture this:

Kyle is 1.8 meters tall in 'real life,' right? In game the JKII skeleton used for all the models in multiplayer is 1.8 meters tall. And thus, the Kyle model attached to the JKII skeleton is 1.8 meters tall. Now (here is the tricky part) Yarael in 'real life' is 2.64 meters tall. The JKII skeleton used by Yarael in game (without a scaling mod) is again 1.8 meters tall. And the Yarael model attached to the JKII skeleton in game (without a scaling mod) is 1.8+ meters tall, due to the fact that he has a very long neck that extends way above the JKII skeleton itself. In fact, the Yarael model's lower section of the neck is attached at the place that the Kyle model's head and face would be attached on the JKII skeleton.

So in other words, without any scaling mod in use, if you had the Kyle and Yarael models in game, the Yarael model would already be taller than Kyle (due to Yarael's neck length). However, since both are attached to the same JKII skeleton, their shoulders will be exactly the same height. Understand now? I hope all that makes sense. :)
 Taigan
12-07-2002, 5:31 PM
Its coming out soon right.....?
Its done right!?!!?

SOON RIGHT?!!?:mob:
 SpYzEr
12-07-2002, 6:37 PM
Originally posted by Taigan
Its coming out soon right.....?
Its done right!?!!?

SOON RIGHT?!!?:mob:

2 words to describe your posts: useless spam
1 word to describe you: N00B
2 words of advice: SHUT UP!

Sry for being off topic :D
 Hellfire Jedi
12-07-2002, 6:41 PM
Spyzer one word...
Amen.

Hellfire

Sry fer off topic
 Psyk0Sith
12-07-2002, 8:01 PM
Sorry for making you guys wait for the model, but it still needs some small fixing up, the audio is not final yet, and i'm waiting for the final skin from neomarz...so please /me looks in Taigan's direction...be patient ;).

I have fixed the left hand bug (i had to make his arms shorter, but it still looks good so its alright.)

Here's the first soundpack from nomad, anyone interested in this model should listen to it and give feedback.

(the file is 1.177 mb. taunts, jump and gasp)
http://www3.sympatico.ca/psykopat/yp_sndpack.zip)

Here's my opinion:
i think you and your bro did an excellent job, here's a few things i would like to change:

1.Some of the taunts are too long, i personnaly prefer shorter taunts. We could leave a few longer taunts.

2.I would like to lower the pitch of the voice to make him sound
older.

3.Finally, a bit of de-noise or something like that to reduce the hissing.

Remember that this is not final, so please don't hesitate to add your own suggestions.

Thanx!
 Hellfire Jedi
12-07-2002, 8:31 PM
My fav is Lower your weapons
There great maybe sound like schhhhhhhhhhh to much in the backround
Do you record these your self nomad or make them from a proggy
 Hekx
12-07-2002, 8:53 PM
They sound very... intriguing.. hehe :D

I picture futuristic aliens to look similar to Yarael Poof, what about the idea of harmonic keyboard-type sounds instead of an actual voice?
Just a suggestion. :)
 t3rr0r
12-07-2002, 9:01 PM
they sound really good... any chance you could lower the pitch of his voice just a bit?
 Enjoi9187
12-07-2002, 11:01 PM
nice, but if hes gonna roll the r's, do it for all taunts, like:

"The forrrce, is my ally, the darkside (should roll r) is enemy to all."

"As a jedi, is it my responcibility (roll r), to eliminate threats like you."

also, that jump is WAY too long
Page: 3 of 4