Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

my model shows up as kyle

Page: 1 of 1
 Flamegrape
09-16-2002, 7:22 PM
I'm finished with my first player model and followed the instructions from Space Monkey's tutorial. It works in ModView. But when I test it in the game, the icon appears but the model shows up as Kyle. Now I hate Kyle more than usual.

I know this question has been asked a million times. But since I can't search LucasForums...

I made a model_default.skin and accounted for all the parts. I just copied and pasted Jan's sound .cfg files.

The model.glm file is there.

The textures are all there.

What am I missing?

Any simple help would be appreciated.
 KevinCoyle
09-16-2002, 8:15 PM
if your sure your directory structure and everything is correct, open up the console in a game using your model and see if there are any errors that appear in the console, such as "bad or illegal bone" or something like that. It may give you a clue as to what's wrong
 Madjai
09-16-2002, 8:27 PM
yea that sounds like a problem with your directory.
in your .pk3 it should have models/players/<your character>
and in your characters folder should be the model.glm, .skin file, textures and an icon. just double check everything.
 Flamegrape
09-16-2002, 8:53 PM
Originally posted by KevinCoyle
if your sure your directory structure and everything is correct, open up the console in a game using your model and see if there are any errors that appear in the console, such as "bad or illegal bone" or something like that. It may give you a clue as to what's wrong

That was a good idea to check the console. But it told me nothing. Just to be sure, I relocated all of my downloaded skins and models to another directory so that only the assets#.pk3 and my model remained. But the console indicated no error message of any kind.

What's weird is that the icon appears in the menu. But it doesn't show up on the game screen in the upper right corner; it shows Kyle instead. And when I jump around, get hurt, etc., I hear Jan's sounds. So the sounds are working. This tells me that the directory structure is correct.

Originally posted by Madjai
yea that sounds like a problem with your directory.
in your .pk3 it should have models/players/<your character>
and in your characters folder should be the model.glm, .skin file, textures and an icon. just double check everything.

Yes, I did all that. I quadruple-checked. The icon shows up in the menu and the sounds work. Just no model.
 Phizzle
09-16-2002, 8:57 PM
you could send it to me and I'll try to help if not....I'm sorry (ya don't have to send it to me if ya dont wanna)
 Flamegrape
09-16-2002, 9:18 PM
Wait a sec. I take back some of the things I posted just now. In my monkeying with the files for dozens of times, I have figured out some things.

The first thing that I figured out was that my .glm file was not zipped up with the .pk3 when I first started. HOLD ON. That didn't solve the problem!

I put it in the pk3. And to make a long story short, I can still see the icon in the menu but it still doesn't work.

Given the hint to check the console, I did that. And yes, I do see an error message or two. The first time around, I saw a message stating that it could not find the _humanoid.gla file in my model's directory! (In models\players\mymodel\ directory.) Not really thinking that it's the proper solution, I put the 10MB _humanoid.gla file in with my .pk3. Now I get an error message stating something about "bad or illegal bone."

Okay, I think I'm on the same page with you guys. I think I'm almost there...

Any ideas?
 Darth Vigrid
09-16-2002, 9:23 PM
This might be a problem with your .glm. Does it load up ModView?
 Flamegrape
09-16-2002, 9:24 PM
Originally posted by Darth Vigrid
This might be a problem with your .glm. Does it load up ModView?

Yes. (See first post in thread.)
;)
 Toonces
09-16-2002, 9:29 PM
What are you using to pack your pk3's? The engine is very sensitive to a certian level of compression.

Try PakScape, I had this problem when I first tried to pack pk3's many months ago, I was using winace, and the engine didnt like that at all :)
 Madjai
09-16-2002, 9:30 PM
were you the one that made the skeleton fit the model instead of the other way around?
 Phizzle
09-17-2002, 9:52 PM
No that was CoolJ. Like I said send all the files to Phizzle@comcast.net and then we'll see if I can get it to work.
 golfrguy87
09-18-2002, 7:08 AM
OMG! I am having the same problem! I just finished my first skin, and Im having the same exact problem!. I can see it using Modview and in the menu but when I go to play it goes away. Its very weird...but when I was playin on a server i was able to use it......
 Flamegrape
09-18-2002, 12:34 PM
I finally figured out what I did wrong. This is valuable information that will probably be lost forever on this crud bboard that no one can search.

Anyway...

When I first tried to convert my .xsi file to .glm format using Assimilate/Carcass, I had alot of trouble. Eventually, I followed the advice of some others and I installed the SDK in d:\base\ instead of the default location in the game directories. In this new installation, for example, you would find the carcass.exe file here:

D:\base\Tools\carcass.exe

Then I created this directory:

D:\base\models\players\mymodelname\

And put all my texture files there, as well as my .max project file. I reloaded my textures in MAX from this location so that they would be referenced "locally" in base\models\players\mymodelname\. Then when I exported the .max project to an .xsi, it would remove the /base from the texture references (the default optin for the xsi plug-in).

When I ran the .xsi file through Assimilate, I made sure that the _humanoid.gla file was in this same directory too. This was WRONG. This is why my model.glm file did not work in the game.

The right way to convert the .xsi file to .glm format is to place the .xsi (and I think the texture files) in here:

D:\base\models\players\_humanoid\

and make sure to leave the _humanoid.gla file in that directory too. The .xsi and .gla files both need to be in this directory.

Once the model.glm file is made, you can move it to your model's directory, pack it up in the proper way, etc., etc.,

Someone needs to underscore the importance of this issue in a future revised tutorial.

(BTW, I've been trying to post this for the last few days. But I've been unsuccessful connecting to LucasForums. This bboard really needs to be upgraded, fixed, expanded, moved, trimmed, whatever.)
 Darth Vigrid
09-18-2002, 2:50 PM
I usually just put the humanoid.gla in

directory and everthing else in

D:\base\models\players\mymodelname\

and it works fine. I think you just had the humanoid.gla in the wrong directory. It is the only file you need to have in

golfrguy87
09-18-2002, 6:46 PM
Thanks you thanks you! My skin now works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This is great! Thanks FlameGrape! :)
 golfrguy87
09-19-2002, 8:46 PM
Dang it! I thought i fixed it but it only worked on that 1 server for some weird reason.....This is weird... I dont understand whats wrong! I guess ill play on that 1 server 24/7 :)
Page: 1 of 1