Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP - Bothan Jedi Master

Page: 2 of 4
 TrevHimself
07-17-2002, 4:59 AM
awesome model bradfu! i was wondering if you were planning on letting others skin it? i would like to...but its your model. if you do though, will the parts of the beard be surfaces so there will be more variation?
 adillon
07-17-2002, 5:00 AM
i really dig the prologue, BradFu!!

i feel that original characters are probably the best thing that could happen to JKII, and having a story that helps them fit into the star wars universe makes these characters just that much better. good job.
 BradFu
07-17-2002, 5:29 AM
Trev: since his hair, beard, and clothes are fairly specialized to his character, I likely won't have too many things changeable on him. I'll see if I can setup the beard to be removeable, as well as the hood and 'belt'. The hair tails and their ties should be removeable too, so there should be a decent amount of customization possible.

I plan on doing at least one additional story outside my main Calaron story, which will highlight Master Fa'row, though I haven't decided whether he'll be a Master yet, and whether he'll have an apprentice. I'm starting to really like the character, and the events in the Prologue just beg to expand on him :)
 bliv
07-17-2002, 5:37 AM
Skin Ideas

Borsk: Cream coloured fur, posh robes.
Bothan Spy: Darker robe, brown fur.
Sith Bothan: Sithy look....

I reckon that the Aalya Secura model was more of a success because of the large skin pack that was released with it. It would be nice to see the Bothan do the same.
 Harukaze
07-17-2002, 5:50 AM
Thing is, Bothans have more variety to their looks than Twi'leks do, from a modelling perspective. Part of the problem is hair. Tattoos and other similar features can be skinned on, but hair of this sort has to be modelled on, and not all Bothans have the same hairstyle.
 BradFu
07-17-2002, 6:05 AM
Exactly. So theres room for some amount of customization with my model, but one way or the other, they'll all have the same hairstyle (on the top of the head, anyway), and the same robes. I mentioned earlier that I'm perfectly willing to let others use my base head (without hair or beard) for other models if they're interested :)
 Eklin
07-17-2002, 6:35 AM
You should only release 1 or 2 skins for it at the most. Let others do the rest and put them in as individual projects.

This is because I hate it when you get 3/4 pointless skins that you'll likely never use, so they just take up space in your character selections (like what happened with the Mandalorian and that Twi'lek chick models).
 Harukaze
07-17-2002, 6:55 AM
True. Although many of the female Twi'lek skins came in a separate pack. I suppose they should get split up into separate files, like Yin is [granted, she was designed later on]. So I think I will agree, and recommend that the model itself only come with Master Fa'row and nothing else.

Btw, BradFu, I'm going to PM you with my email address, so that if you're willing, you can send me the skinmap. I don't have anything specific in mind yet, but it's always good to be able to jump on a project when inspiration hits.
 Adonai Saboath
07-17-2002, 7:11 AM
you COULD always just open up the pk3, remove what you don't want and then repack it.....least thats what i would do....

and sorry to get a bit o/t....but

i REALLY think someone should modify the bot selection, and skin/player selection.....something that'll display the bot/skin's icon, maybe around 12 at a time or so........especially with bots.....it really sux having to scroll through everything......and skins....it'll get to the point soon where we'll also get tired of scrolling through them too....
 BradFu
07-17-2002, 8:19 AM
Well, if they edit the pk3, then it becomes incompatible with the rest of the pk3s for the model. What I plan on doing is 3 skins. Standard, plus CTFs. The CTF skins will be full-fledged skins, rather than just recolored. Blue will be the young version of Fa'row, Red will be a Sith version.
 Adonai Saboath
07-17-2002, 8:22 AM
removing a few skins would make it incompatible?....i figured the person who used those skins would just be viewed as the model's default skin.... guess i'm still living in the simple days of Q3....
 BradFu
07-17-2002, 9:03 AM
Yeah, the game goes by filesize as well as name. Otherwise people could sneak stuff past pure servers.
 BradFu
07-17-2002, 12:09 PM
UPDATE:

Made an attempt at unwrapping the outer robes, turned out decently well, but it could definitely be better, I'm just not all that good at unwrapping. Here's the results:

http://windu.cjb.net/bothanskin2.jpg)
http://windu.cjb.net/bothanskin3.jpg)

Once again, if anyone who is skilled in the ways of Unwrapping has any interest in helping out with this model, e-mail me at bradfu@msn.com, it would be greatly appreciated :)
 Lucko Mabri
07-17-2002, 12:58 PM
wow :o

-Lucko Mabri

p.s-Excellent job brad! :D
 delquar
07-17-2002, 2:07 PM
great model. props. just a q or two, any chance of you making parts of the beard surf's so we can have different beard/hair types? i think that would be a nice addition
 pud1
07-17-2002, 3:08 PM
Dont forget the nose and mouth
http://www.swgalaxies.net/picture.php3?image_filename=screenshots/mayconcept1.jpg)
http://www.swgalaxies.net/picture.php3?image_filename=screenshots/both3.jpg)

I know your not finished i just wanted to let you know that it will make the model come together, alot!
looking good
 BradFu
07-17-2002, 4:37 PM
Not sure what you mean, pud. Do you mean the nose doesn't look right?
 pud1
07-17-2002, 4:42 PM
No i mean when u skin it....dont forget the animal-like mouth!
the upside down "T" shape between the lips and the nose that makes it look bothan.

It's looking really good bradfu
 BradFu
07-17-2002, 4:50 PM
Oh, gotcha :) I'm way ahead of you on that, decided to actually do that with the model, as well as with the skin. It's not easy to see, but in some of the past shots (the head shots specifically) you can just barely see the cleft between his nose and mouth :)
 pud1
07-17-2002, 5:05 PM
Ah cool
lemme go look
 Darth-Nasty
07-17-2002, 9:48 PM
great model!

original jedi characters are great!
 Toonces
07-17-2002, 11:25 PM
Yeah Baby! He's looking great Brad :D

Sorry I didnt get back to you last night, my brother said you sent me a message. They were hogging my computer all night last night :(

CT :lightning
www.drivingcatstudios.com)
 Cyris
07-18-2002, 2:12 AM
Yo sup. Ummm i gots a question. Im new to this **** and i was wondering if you could tell me where you got the program for modeling and where i could get it. Thanks alot Brad or whoever.
 MaulerZ
07-18-2002, 2:33 AM
BradFu this model is how should i say this.......kick ass to say the least im gonna dl when it comes out.
 BradFu
07-20-2002, 11:10 AM
Current Status: Stuck

Since theres been a lot of interest in this model, I wanted to let everyone know where it stands. Right now, he's waiting to be unwrapped. The problem with this is that I can't handle the unwrapping myself and make it any good, and don't have anyone to do it yet. Anyone who can do a good job of it and is interested, please e-mail me at bradfu@msn.com or send me a Private Message. I will be doing the skinning, but I can't continue with that till I get it all mapped out :)
 BradFu
07-20-2002, 9:49 PM
Cool, rolyat :) If you can hook me up with someone to unwrap, then I'll definitely do a pilot body for you :)
 BradFu
07-20-2002, 9:51 PM
I am all-seeing. I can reply to posts before they're even made! FEAR ME!!!
 adrian832
07-21-2002, 6:51 AM
BUMP!

I am so looking forward to this! I have a bothan character. Not Jedi, but oh welll, this model will do. It looks like your alrerady like 50% done, good job.
 rolyat
07-21-2002, 7:30 AM
Hello all

I started to read you and I should admit that I am really interested into a Rebel-Alliance Bothan pilot for personal reason in JK2.
BradFu, I may know someone able to unwarp yours, but I have to contact him before more reliable news.

CU
-------------------
Rolyat To'ust
 LeMon_Vox
07-22-2002, 7:38 PM
Just wanna keep this thread alive :)

Hey, Brad! As you may noticed, we both stucked at the same step. Did somebody replied for the job? For me, NONE!

I also want to do the skinning for myself, but I would really like to step through this UVmapping and weight stuffs.

SOMEBODY OUTTHERE, PLZ HELP US!

:trooper:
 Darth Loki
07-22-2002, 8:35 PM
there are friendlier forums around for this sort of stuff. look around.
 12thMonkey
07-23-2002, 5:07 PM
launch ignition in 5 4 3 2 1 BUMP
 Harukaze
07-23-2002, 7:02 PM
While there are friendlier forums, I don't think that's the problem. I think it's more that the few people who know how to do this - and are any good - are likely working on their own projects.

I need to learn to model, and I figure, I need to learn uvw unwrapping eventually anyway, so... if I figure it out, I'll be willing to try my hand at both your models... I want both of them enough at least to try. And, like I said, it's a skill I need to learn anyway for a project I plan to do.
 Darth Loki
07-26-2002, 8:06 AM
BradFu, you haven't abandoned it have you?
 Frumpus
07-27-2002, 6:12 PM
Hey Brad. I've been stuck at that stage for a while with my elf as well. http://jitd.fragland.net/php/upload/kram/July%2025%20elf%20&%20goblin.jpg)

I'm wondering what to do next - modelling has become easy for me, so I used this "down-time" to work on a few goblin models.
http://jitd.fragland.net/php/upload/kram/3goblins.jpg)

Let me know when you get this figured out, OK? Even some links or tutorials would be great; I'm kinda stumped - not sure shere to go next.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70153)
 Darth Loki
07-29-2002, 9:45 PM
bump
 Wes Marrakesh
10-04-2002, 11:06 PM
I REALLY hope this isn't dead... I really want a Bothan Model :D
 JediQuermian
10-05-2002, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I was just talking about that yesterday - hope it's not dead. I was asking on one post what happened to it?!
 superdude201
10-05-2002, 5:19 PM
He hasn't replied cause he needs someone to unwrap it. Well heres a good link brad fu about how to unwrap it if u r interested Clickie Here (http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/qbranch/tutorials/meshimages.shtml)
 Khier
10-05-2002, 8:01 PM
i can't see any of the pics! it says page cannot be displayed
 TzurielAzar
01-12-2003, 3:49 PM
Bradfu, I'm not sure if you are still trying to finish this project or not. However I am a 3d modeller that can finish up unwrapping your UVW's for you. please feel free to e-mail me at ka_tzuriel@hotmail.com.

Thanks
 TzurielAzar
01-13-2003, 5:32 PM
I have taken over unwrapping the UVW's and Skinning the Bothan for Bradfu.

I just wanted to make the announcement to the JK2 community that this awsome model started by BradFu is still a reality.

If you have comments, questions, or suggestions, please e-mail me at ka_tzuriel@hotmail.com
 propaganda1981
02-06-2003, 11:43 AM
I've been looking for a Bothan model for I don't know how long! Can't wait to see this one in action!

:explode::barf::monkey4::vamp1::drop2:
 Psyk0Sith
02-06-2003, 5:52 PM
That's great news, Bothans are excellent characters for JK2.

Thanks for resuming work on the model. I'm sure lots of people will be happy.

P.S.:Shouldnt this thread be moved to the showcase forum???

/me waits for moderator...
 Hekx
03-01-2003, 5:20 PM
Bumpty Bump.

Can a mod please move this to the showcase forum?

I know the person who's taken up the project of BradFu, and he's been quite busy with work lately. Hopefully he will finish it eventually. :)

-Edit
Thanks for moving it. :)
 SkiTzoGuy
03-08-2003, 2:15 PM
Bothans look cool! :cool:
especially the one your making..:D i hope everything turns out ok..

:koon: I Shall wait Patiently for his day to come..

:eek:
:mob::duel: :eets:
 Spedema28
03-17-2003, 2:17 PM
Hey Bradfu, you're model looks awesome!
I'm just writing to offer my abilities as a skinner. If you'd let me, I'd love to make a skin for your model, and offer skinning/shader help if you need any. I wish I knew something about modeling to help you, but I do not. I have made a lot of skins, but haven't really posted any to the public, beyond putting some on my old clan's web site (omniclan.com).
So, if you'll let me make a skin for your model, let me know.
azmo23@hotmail.com

z?gir
 ninja
03-23-2003, 7:48 PM
oh hey thats cool a galaxy model :D
 DarkLord60
03-23-2003, 9:47 PM
More pics
 Ronin_Medjai
03-25-2003, 5:04 AM
I talked to TzurielAzar on msn today and he says that he might not work on it much more and he said he would agree to let my Modeling Friend have a peek at the max file to work on it a bit My modeler guy is good hes made awesome stuff,but most of it is unreleased heres a pic of his work Gandalf (http://www.roleplayersinc.com/ganphoto.jpg)

Hopefully He can get this thing finished so we can all play with Bothans Yay!
Page: 2 of 4