Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Joruus C'baoth

Page: 1 of 5
 Darth Vigrid
07-12-2002, 1:10 AM
Joruus C'baoth is a Dark Jedi from the Timothy Zahn novels. I just started on the head last night, and it is by no means finished.

Pics here:

http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/)
 Delmar
07-12-2002, 1:16 AM
looking good so far. what kind of outfit will he be wearing?
 nucular_jedi_14
07-12-2002, 1:22 AM
nice a bearded dude!
btw he kinda looks like Gandalf from J.R.R. Tolkeins Lord Of The Rings Books And Movies
 Darth Vigrid
07-12-2002, 1:42 AM
He will be wearing a brown cloak. Check out the reference pic at the bottom of the site. And, He does kinda remind me of Gandalf.
 Delmar
07-12-2002, 3:20 AM
oh cool.. he definitely has a gandalf/saruman feel to him
 Grets Sirob
07-12-2002, 7:25 AM
Hey!
It's Joruus.
Sweet.
You'll have to skin him so he looks like Gandalf and Saruman(don'tk now why, just cause I guess...)

:emperor: I shall rule the galaxy.
 Emon
07-12-2002, 7:48 AM
Originally posted by Delmar
oh cool.. he definitely has a gandalf/saruman feel to him

That's exactly what kind of character Joruus is.

Great work, are you gonna make a Jorus C'Baoth model, too? Oh, wait, he'd be identicle, nevermind. ;)
 Darth Vigrid
07-12-2002, 7:57 AM
Thanks for the praise guys. And for those who don't know Joruus is an insane clone of the Jedi Master Jorus who was born 100 years before A New Hope.
 TUX
07-12-2002, 10:45 PM
Wow... Great model! Timothy Zahn's EU is the best. Anybody working on a Noghri (sp?)?
 darthweaver
07-12-2002, 10:59 PM
looking good. on the covers of the books, he is always wearing a brown robe with nothing underneath it.oh and remeber to add the medalion thing which is round his neck ;)
 t3rr0r
07-12-2002, 11:01 PM
don't forget to utilise shaders w/ alpha maps on the beard, when it comes to skinning. i'm sure major clod could assist in that area, with the wookiee and all. :D
 Darth Vigrid
07-12-2002, 11:44 PM
My Main reference for this model is the cover of Heir to the Empire.
I've started work on the robe and I added the medallion he has around his neck. The shaders for the beard sounds like a great idea. I'll look into it.
 Darth Vigrid
07-12-2002, 11:47 PM
 Darth Vigrid
07-13-2002, 3:59 PM
I did alot more work on the robes and some more on the hair. Still have some more details to do.

Check out the new images:

What do you think?
 nucular_jedi_14
07-13-2002, 4:02 PM
i love it!
 Horrorz2002
07-13-2002, 4:04 PM
Looking amazing so far, keep up the good work! I can't wait to chop people in half by the dozens with my "old decrepit" Jedi master!
 moooa
07-13-2002, 6:14 PM
It's looking very good but whydo u make the robe with 2 part (like a pant). Why do u not make it in 1 part (like monmothma)

moooa
 Harukaze
07-13-2002, 10:39 PM
I think his robes actually are supposed to be divided. My friend has the comic, which I'll check out, although it's hardly accurate [Khabarak, for example, was larger than Leia in one scene, and they're supposed to be roughly child-sized]. It's impossible to say on the cover to the book, because heads are blocking him from the waist down. Perhaps some other art will help shed light on that. Either way, in game, it will probably work better for him to have the split-robe design.
 StarViperPilot
07-13-2002, 11:13 PM
Nice!!!:cool: One suggestion, he doesn't look angry/stern :mad: enough. But I know your not finished so maybe you were going to change that anyway...
 genthar
07-13-2002, 11:43 PM
Good work Vigrid! There's alway room for a loopy dark Jedi to run about with delusions of universal domination.
 Darth Vigrid
07-13-2002, 11:54 PM
From all the pics I've seen of him I think his robes were always divided. But, I might attach it and just see what looks best. I agree that the face does need some more anger in it, to look more like the cover of the book.
 Darth Vigrid
07-13-2002, 11:59 PM
Oh, and Harukaze if you can give me anymore pics/information from the comics that would be great. I don't have any pictures of him from behind and I'm still trying to figure out what the back of his hair should look like.
 Harukaze
07-14-2002, 1:47 AM
You don't want to use the comics as reference for his hair. The artist was really very untalented, it was sad.

As for the back of his hair, I'd say go with mid-lower back length. Not quite to his waist, but close to it. That's just my opinion though, but it's fitting in with how long he let his beard get.
 Darth Vigrid
07-14-2002, 2:02 AM
Thanks, That sounds like a good length for the hair.
 Kstar__2
07-14-2002, 2:02 AM
cool!
 Xyphox
07-14-2002, 4:39 AM
Nice model! You're doing a great job. BTW I love your avatar. Cecil from FFIV!
 Harukaze
07-14-2002, 6:25 AM
*grins* Glad you said four, otherwise I'd have to hurt you :)

Got any skinners lined up yet, btw? I am admittedly just a novice but I'm learning more by the day . I could seriously see the default skin pack containing a skin for Jorus C'baoth [I]and Joruus C'baoth. I'm not sure team support could be pulled off without an overabundance of cheese [sorry, to my mind, it doesn't seem like Master C'baoth, either one, would walk around in a red or a blue robe, and anything more subtle might be too subtle for team gameplay]. If you already have someone lined up, maybe could I at least try my hand at the Jorus skin?
 spacermonkey
07-14-2002, 6:28 AM
he looks good, why not have a few polys hanging over his face then using some opacity to turn them into whispy hair like in the drawing.
:)
 Darth Vigrid
07-14-2002, 6:48 AM
I was gonna try to skin Joruus myself, though I still have alot to learn. Harukaze, if you wanted to do a Jorus skin that would be great. I still have some more work to do on the model itself. When that is finished, I'll let you know. Maybe the team skins can be a different character all together like Chesire did with his Darth Maul. Thanks for the suggestion spacermonkey, I'm still working on the hair.

By the way have you made any skins before, Harukaze. If not, then that's fine, I haven't either, I was just wondering.
 NerfYoda
07-14-2002, 9:15 AM
Originally posted by Harukaze
*grins* Glad you said four, otherwise I'd have to hurt you :)

Got any skinners lined up yet, btw? I am admittedly just a novice but I'm learning more by the day . I could seriously see the default skin pack containing a skin for Jorus C'baoth [I]and Joruus C'baoth. I'm not sure team support could be pulled off without an overabundance of cheese [sorry, to my mind, it doesn't seem like Master C'baoth, either one, would walk around in a red or a blue robe, and anything more subtle might be too subtle for team gameplay]. If you already have someone lined up, maybe could I at least try my hand at the Jorus skin?

Dumb request: add a Charleton Heston style Moses skin to the model. :) Moses using the force & lightsabers = funny & this model is perfect for it. :)
 Darth Vigrid
07-14-2002, 9:20 AM
Thanks Xyphox, good to see a fellow FFIV fan!
 Darth Vigrid
07-14-2002, 9:27 AM
I'll probably just stick with Star Wars type characters for the first release. Once I get better at skinning I could maybe do a skinpack, as I know there are alot of bearded/robed characters out there.
 Harukaze
07-14-2002, 7:28 PM
*sheeps* I don't have anything released yet, no. I started off by editing existing skins, but thanks to Chesire I was able to get to work on a skin straight off the wire-frame. Let me tell you, I've learned so much more from doing that than any skin editing I could have done, and I'm glad I never embarassed myself by releasing a modified skin like that. Some people have and, no offense intended, they're really not nearly as nice as the fresh, entirely new ones.

My current project, the male Zabrak, is exactly like what you described for Joruus: each team color skin is a different character altogether. Coincidently enough it uses the Maul model you mentioned ^_^ Maybe by tonight check out the skinning forum for a screenshot of what I've accomplished; what's there thus far is nothing special, but I'm working on another update today. I think those pictures there are before I discovered the wonders of charcoal, so it's really a lot more flat than he is now.

Oh, and since you're also a novice to this, I'll give you advice I just discovered. Lighting sucks. Badly. So, whatever it is you're doing, make it much more overly obvious than you normally would, otherwise you're going to get nowhere. After I first got a texture to look like cloth, I was so psyched, thinking it would look so amazing in-game. Got it in-game, and it looked almost as flat as when I had had him entirely without texture.

Anyway for the skins for this model. I think it's a good idea for you to do team colors for Joruus, but if you don't mind, I'll release Jorus without team colors. They'll be similar enough to begin with [although I look forward to seeing our differences in design; I've already got something in mind to distinguish Jorus from Joruus] that doing additional team colors might be redundant. Once you're done with the model, let me know, and maybe we can discuss some skinning ideas, conceptually and actual design-wise.
 Lucko Mabri
07-14-2002, 7:37 PM
Wow Amazing! :D

-Lucko Mabri
 Darth Vigrid
07-14-2002, 11:51 PM
I worked a little more on the model last night. I made the hair longer in the back and I think it is at a good length. The bottom of his robe still needs some work.

Harukaze, that all sounds great. Team support really isn't necessary for Jorus. I usually don't play team CTF seeing as how my labtop isn't too powerful, I usually just duel. I do realize that other people will want it though so it will be included with Joruus. Thanks for the texturing advice, everything looks different ingame. I checked out your Male Zabrak thread (and the pictures without the charcoal) and its looking pretty good. I check back there later for your updated shots.

Pics updated:

Darth Vigrid
07-16-2002, 12:41 AM
I'm nearing completion on the actual model itself, but I have one question. Are the bones included in the polygon count of the model?

With the bones I have a count over 4,000.
Without the bones the count is 2500.
 Darth Vigrid
07-16-2002, 2:25 AM
I've finished the actual modeling and am going to start with all the technical stuff (weighting, UVW mapping).

Updated pics:

What do you think?
 Master Burner
07-16-2002, 2:45 AM
its awesome!!! any idea when you are finished?? looks like it would be fun to play as him in SP ;)
 adillon
07-16-2002, 3:13 AM
darth vigrid -

you're model is *BLEEP* amazing! i'm so impressed by how quickly you cranked it out, too.

although i'm unfamiliar with this character and his background, but to be able to play as a character who's an insane clone of a jedi knight is awesome! you just gotta have some insane laughter/sounds/taunts for him.

keep up the great work! can't wait to see its progression.
 Volkie
07-16-2002, 3:14 AM
I can see this model is going to be very popular,good work so far, you are obviously a very skilled artist
 Darth Vigrid
07-16-2002, 3:24 AM
Wow thanks, This is my first model and I'm happy with the way it has turned out so far. As for the release date, I'm not sure. I still have to get him ingame and skinned.
 adillon
07-16-2002, 3:52 AM
Originally posted by Darth Vigrid
This is my first model

your FIRST model?! wow! you could've said it was your 30th and i would've believed you. it's just that great!

good luck with all you have left to do ... and keep us posted on your progress!
 Darth Vigrid
07-16-2002, 7:05 AM
Today, my computer decided it wanted to crash and I had to format my hard drive, so I lost all my files, including my model. I'm just going to have to restart it, and hey maybe it will come out even better. Hopefully, it won't take me too long. Don't worry, I won't give up on it.

At least I've learned an important lesson (Always back up your files).
 Harukaze
07-16-2002, 10:32 AM
*dies*
 Darth Vigrid
07-16-2002, 1:13 PM
Don't worry. This just pushes the release a few days back. It really didn't take me to long to make, and I've learned alot since I first started. After I finished modeling, I realized I was going to have a hard time fitting it to the skeleton. This time I'm going to build my model directly on the skeleton from the root.xsi. This should shorten the process by alot. Maybe, this will all work out better in the end. Hopefully, you're still up for skinning Jorus, Harukaze.
 Harukaze
07-16-2002, 6:47 PM
Absolutely! Spent the entire night on the phone. Not with whom I hoped, but a good friend none-the-less, who happens to own JO and is GM for my Star Wars campaign on campus. So *sheeps* didn't get any skinning done. Turned Maw into a single-player NIGHTMARE, so that was fun, but I didn't even TOUCH photoshop ^_^ So my own skin pack will probably not be out until the end of the weekend rather than Friday like I originally guestimated.

And I know what you mean about learning and being able to redo something new a lot faster the second time around. At one point, I completely threw out all of my Zabrak's clothing and began from a purely flat set, each piece all one color, and went from there. The results speak for themselves; it's up to the community to interpret what they say though ;) If what we saw was your first attempt at modelling, I for one cannot WAIT to see what we can expect from you this time around.
 Darth Vigrid
07-17-2002, 3:44 PM
I've begun work on the head again, though I still have more work to do on it.

Updated pics:

Harukaze
07-17-2002, 6:03 PM
I definately like. He looks very dignified there, which I like. Even Joruus was a bit cultured, even if his instabilities won out in the end. Skinning ideas are definately running around in my head for our friend Jorus.

Random note, but I don't think you'll mind my bringing it up. Scheduled for 2004 is a new Zahn duology set in the prequel era and focusing a bit on the mysteries still surrounding Jedi Master Jorus C'baoth. No title and little more information than that, but I thought you'd be interested; I know I am.
 Wakka Bongo
07-17-2002, 11:26 PM
WOW!!!
That Looks Great!
:D
 t3rr0r
07-17-2002, 11:34 PM
wow. you new jorus head is a work of art. :eek: it surpasses the old one by far (no offence ;)). :D
Page: 1 of 5