Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The death of SWGB

Page: 1 of 2
 duder
06-06-2002, 9:18 AM
I'm not sure that we will see anymore installments to the SWGB series. Perhaps we may be rewarded with a patch, but not another xp. The next film is three years away, and I doubt that they will base one on the extended universe.

What d'ya think?
 Crazy_dog no.3
06-06-2002, 10:50 AM
I don't think it will die as such people stop playing very soon.

Yes, I agree there will probably not be any more add-ons, and it will die that way, but not as in people stop playing.
 Fishflesh
06-06-2002, 11:29 AM
maby swgb 2
 AU_Andy_Ewok
06-06-2002, 11:33 AM
Once AoM is out there will be like 6 people playing this game after a few weeks. :p
 Fishflesh
06-06-2002, 11:34 AM
if that so 1 of them will be me then
 DarthMuffin
06-06-2002, 11:50 AM
Once AoM is out there will be like 6 people playing this game after a few weeks.

Excuse my ignorance but what is AoM?
 duder
06-06-2002, 11:58 AM
Age of Mythology.

Check it out at;

www.ensemblestudios.com)
 Kryllith
06-06-2002, 1:52 PM
Oh I imagine I'll slack off of SWGB when AoM comes out (just like I slacked off of AoC when SWGB comes out), but I'll still play it. I'm too much of a Stars Wars nut not to. :P

Kryllith
 DarthMuffin
06-06-2002, 6:36 PM
AoM looks really great! Does any1 know when it'll be avaible?
 Paragon_Leon
06-06-2002, 6:39 PM
I doubt you've seen the death of GB.
If anything, a new game in the series could be made with AOM's engine !
How about that ?

Also, don't be too sure that AOM will be a success. Just look at what happened with Empire Earth and you'll know what i mean...
 TheMadDoofer
06-06-2002, 9:10 PM
Arg! And I got that game too.

:(
 Treacherous Mercenary
06-06-2002, 9:23 PM
I had problems with that game, so I went to this game just to find another AOK clone.
 Fishflesh
06-07-2002, 12:27 PM
Star wars gb is not death it just started to live

what do you think of mario he is old and still far away from death!
 MAD_Attila
06-08-2002, 11:19 PM
Community-wise, this game was dead the day it was released.

More people play the original Age of Empires than this game.

Sithmaster_821
06-09-2002, 1:07 AM
AOM comes out in October(ES keeps on pushing it back)

Just because more people play the original AOE than this game doesnt mean its dead.
 Ten-Forward
06-09-2002, 1:24 AM
The next Star Wars RTS...Will be based on the AOM Engine...bank on it..
 J-5
06-10-2002, 10:14 AM
What about Warcraft 3? I'm gonna be all over that when it comes out :D !!
 Natopo
06-10-2002, 10:50 AM
By no means is GB dead. The reason people aren't buying CC right now is cause it's too expensive, when it lowers more people will buy it. Maybe we'll be lucky and get GB2:D
 Fishflesh
06-10-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Ten-Forward
The next Star Wars RTS...Will be based on the AOM Engine...bank on it..

I dont think so dude
 Ten-Forward
06-16-2002, 10:36 AM
The AOM engine is a real 3D world..if Lucasarts used the outdated AOK engines what makes you think the next logical step is???
 Admiral
06-16-2002, 1:58 PM
GB, will be around for a while since it is the only really enjoyable SW RTS game. Until a squeal is made GB will live. It is a simple fact. Look at XWA. Still a fairly large community and look how old that game is.

Personally I don't have CC yet since I need the money to pay for other things.

remember me?
 Treacherous Mercenary
06-16-2002, 2:37 PM
GB is dead as it's almost exactly the same as AOK unless lucas arts get their act together and improve things to try and get players back like improving units and making them abit different, etc...
 Slimmer
06-16-2002, 4:03 PM
SWGB will die out for a couple reasons: 1. WC3 2. AOM and the most important factor is all the illiterate kids who can't read and play DM and Scenario Games in the RM ROOMs. This turns away so many players cause they can not a find a game. SO if you are one of these morons please use the right rooms if you want to see this game Grow in players.

Lastly game will die out cause Zone will never support it as we have already seen.
 Sithmaster_821
06-17-2002, 4:50 AM
The game is growing in players. The number of people on the zone has doubled since CC has come out and it keeps getting higher. But people who play games like senate and hero fest and fortress blood (and you know who you are) will kill off this game if they keep playing in the wrong room. Random Map means random map. Not one or two rnadom maps and everything else scenerios and death matches. You guys have your own rooms and they are empty. So wh ydo you use ours?

Another thing. I hope they dont use the AoM engine for SWGB2. Im probably one of the biggest fans of AoM on these forums, but I hope Lucasarts uses the experience gained from this game to make their own RTS with their own engine. Most people were turned off by this game because it wasnt original and used another games engine.
 simwiz2
06-17-2002, 9:58 AM
I can not think of anything more annoying than going into CC RM room on the zone and finding EVERY single game filled up - and not a single RM game to be seen. And then trying to grab a game that just opened up - but being a second too late - and seeing it become a senate game. There's nothing more infuriating about this game than that. I am a huge fan of this game and this problem makes me think twice about playing it on the zone - so i could easily imagine it turning people away who arent sure whether or not they like the game yet.

The zone should enforce the rooms' type of game, that is the only way to fix the problem.
 Crazy_dog no.3
06-17-2002, 2:47 PM
Like I said, GB will not die very soon.

And as for WC3, that's a different type of RTS altogether.:p
 J-5
06-17-2002, 8:01 PM
A different type or a better type???????????
 Sithmaster_821
06-18-2002, 2:01 AM
Warcraft3 is a different game (the other extreme of RTS's)
 CatholLynAyt
06-18-2002, 3:57 AM
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a senate game?

I don't play online, but if I do, I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.
 Sithmaster_821
06-18-2002, 5:29 AM
Its a boring pointless multiplayer scenerio where you have meetings and train jedi and fight over patches of land that are supposed to represent planets. They are completly boring so you should just steer clear of them.
 polaris_crd
06-22-2002, 7:54 PM
I'm a huge AOM fan and I can't wait for it to come out. I'm always on the forum at www.ageofmyth.com) and www.plannetageofempires.com). Hopefully I will be one of the 10,000 people to do the online beta test. I bought SW: GB the same time I bought EE. EE was a huge disappointment:( AOM will kick butt though. I've seen video feeds of this game in motion and it looks awesome.

Ensemble studios is owned by Microsoft corp. I suspect that Lucas signed an agreement to get the engine for this game in return for making some Starwars games for the X-box. Any truth to this? If that is true you can bet anything you will see a Starwars game using the AOM engine.

Sometimes people on the zone piss me off so bad. Whats worse then DM and senario people taking up RM space is people that just take up space period. I've seen people taking up game space and they actually have the nerve to put "Leave me alone" or "go away" in the game description. They just seem to take up space for no damn good reason. Then you have people who use game space to advertise or harrass other players. That really pisses me off. I've noticed a sharp decrease in the number of players on the zone.

Stupid script kiddies have got worse within the last 4-5 days. You piss off the wrong person and they use a zone flooder on you every time they see you. That and there is some kind of message flooder to lagg people out during a game which really sucks bad (Even worse if you have audio chat turned on). I've had this happen once before but it went away as soon as I changed my screenname. My computer hardly ever freezes up but it's been doing it while I'm on the zone.
 DarthMuffin
06-22-2002, 7:58 PM
Well, for me it will die when W3 will be out! :D
 DarthMaulUK
06-22-2002, 11:59 PM
WC3 isnt a worry at all.
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=633914#post633914) check out why its the most over rated game this year.

AoM is gonna rock I think. Ensemble have created a series of games that are so popular amongst the many and unlike SWGB, the zone have supported the AOK series well.

Im not saying that rated rooms etc will make SWGB a hit over night with thousands playing,but the Mpluses HAVE to get a grip and allow people to start using the correct rooms.

All these crappy Scenarios out there are driving me mad. Some r ok but then others re-work them, giving the host a massive advantage making the whole experience a waste of time.

As for the death of SWGB. Who knows but LA wont be adding to this baby I think - apart from a patch I guess.

I think Lucasarts need a decent space RTS to replace Rebellion/Supremacy.

DMUK
 DarthMuffin
06-23-2002, 12:47 AM
I think Lucasarts need a decent space RTS to replace Rebellion/Supremacy.

It would be nice...

But I still think that W3 will hurt swgb...
 darthpotty
06-23-2002, 10:49 AM
i will plays this game for ages even when the WOK or AOM or what ever the other games are talking about because i represent the audience who didn't buy it for the AGE OF EMPIRES engine style/gameplay. i bought because i like STAR WARS and because it gives you the chance to make your own STAR WARS wars up. you'd never see Naboo vs Rebels and now you can fight those battles out and it's cool. you can make and train jedi which i think is very cool.

SENATE games are not total waste of time they are fun games that try to resemable a real senate and what would hapeen in the STAR WARS universe if you had wanted to declare war or train jedi.

So there and i don't care what new game that is coiming out like that will bet this engine or whatever. i will play this because of the STAR WARS factor.
 DarthMuffin
06-23-2002, 11:42 PM
I completly agree, but now people only want games with great graphics...

And AoM seems to have excellent graphics...
 WarteX
06-24-2002, 12:22 AM
Good graphics add alot depth to a game and also abit of the gameplay
 Crazy_dog no.3
06-24-2002, 1:04 AM
Graphics - Gameplay = :(
Gameplay - Graphics = :(
Graphics + Gameplay = :thumbsup:
 DarthMuffin
06-24-2002, 3:39 AM
Exactly!!!

And that's why all be completly adicted to W3!!!
 Crazy_dog no.3
06-24-2002, 4:00 AM
U are addicted to that game, aren't u?!:rolleyes:
 DarthMuffin
06-24-2002, 9:10 PM
COMPLETLY
 Crazy_dog no.3
06-25-2002, 2:38 AM
Thought so.:)

Enough spamming.

Do u think there could be any further GB X packs?
 Fishflesh
06-25-2002, 3:56 AM
chances are 1 on 10000 that there wil be another xp

its not much but its something;)
 Xirion
06-25-2002, 6:36 PM
i think there will be :)
maybe with a few races we didnt expect maybe the Vong and the New republic!
 DarthMuffin
06-25-2002, 7:58 PM
I dont think there will be any...

But maybe they will create SWGB II based on AoM for Ep. III.
 JediMasterEd
06-26-2002, 4:22 AM
*digs himself out of the piles of homework that has buried him for sometime*

I'm back! No school! Ok, I really think that Galactic Battlegrounds is dead in a way. they're being yanked off the shelves, when I got the game for $50, now is lower than $40, and CC is starting to take up space. Reason, more people are using KaZaA and Morpheus to get these games. Empire Earth is, what I believe, very alive. Good graphics and somewhat gameplay. could perfect it a little bit more but still, a very good game. W3 looks awesome and so does AoM. Galactic Battlegrounds, right now, is in its infant stage, relying on others to help it out, but when Lucas Arts is able to create its own engine, it will surely rock the world.
 Crazy_dog no.3
06-26-2002, 5:19 AM
EE sucked! I mean, Chinese looking like French?!
 DarthMuffin
06-26-2002, 8:39 PM
W3 looks awesome

Finally!!!

Some1 here got a brain!!!

Thx a lot JediMasterEd, everybody here seem not to like W3...
 JediMasterEd
06-27-2002, 2:16 AM
i've always been a warcraft fan. it doesn't really matter anyway if the french and chinese look alike. they're only custom civs.
 DarthMuffin
06-27-2002, 4:45 AM
i've always been a warcraft fan

Me two:)

But like DMUK said, I think that AoM will hit SWGB harder than W3 because W3 got their fans and Age of Empires games got theirs. Since SWGB is similar to AoE, many players will move to AoM.
Page: 1 of 2