Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Air Transports

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Windu
06-05-2002, 12:45 PM
I have some problems with the air transports in GB in that-
1. They should land! Especially when picking up or dropping off units
2. They should be unit restrictive (ie 1 assualt mech, or 2 artillery, or 3 mech destroyers, or 4 strike mechs, or 5 troops etc)
3. If they dont already (i dont have CC) the Republic fighter (gunship) should be able to carry up to 5 units, but only infantry.
What do you guys think?
 J-5
06-05-2002, 7:21 PM
1. Okay, but it doesn't really matter

2. YES, definitely

3. No way, the Republic is strong enough as it is. Could you image 20 Republic gunships dropping 100 clone troopers into battle?! :eek:
 Darth Windu
06-07-2002, 11:58 AM
actually ive been thinking about it a bit, what if the republic gunship was sort of like the mech destroyer, where it can carry one unit?
 Kryllith
06-07-2002, 2:21 PM
Nah, I don't like the idea of fighters carrying troops because it pretty much negates the need for a transport. Purpose of the transport is to get people to a specific place quickly. Think about it. Do players put people in the Strike Mechs because they want to move them quickly? No, they do it because it makes them easier to manage and it keeps them safe. This is why we don't have a ground "transport". And if we did, then troops probably wouldn't be allow to hop in the mech destroyers...

Kryllith
 J-5
06-07-2002, 4:49 PM
Originally posted by Kryllith
Nah, I don't like the idea of fighters carrying troops because it pretty much negates the need for a transport. Purpose of the transport is to get people to a specific place quickly. Think about it. Do players put people in the Strike Mechs because they want to move them quickly? No, they do it because it makes them easier to manage and it keeps them safe. This is why we don't have a ground "transport". And if we did, then troops probably wouldn't be allow to hop in the mech destroyers...

Kryllith

I agree about the fighters not being able to carry troops, but there is a ground "transport" also known as the assault mech (actually, I never use mechs as transports, but they could carry medics or workers into battle safely). Of course there nothing on the ground that can carry mechs and heavies into battle...
 Kryllith
06-07-2002, 5:45 PM
I agree that the Assault Mech can carry troops, but I don't see it as a "transport." Transports are designed to carry troops where they can't get to on their own, and generally they tend to move faster than the troops themselves can move. The Assault Mech affords the troops neither of these ability, so I see as more of a mobile turret (without the healing capability) than a transport. That's basically why I don't like the idea of fighters carrying troops. If they could, they could move units to places they couldn't normally go and at a much faster rate... which basically nullifies the need for air transports.

Kryllith
 CatholLynAyt
06-07-2002, 6:59 PM
I just thought of this tactic, wonder if it works. I hate to give anyone ideas, but I'm sure I'm not the first to think this up. And I only play against the computer anyway. :)

Can you put troops in an assault mech, then have the assault mech board an air or sea transport, so that you can carry troops and mechs at the same time? If this is possible, you could have 5 mechs on a transport, each with 5 troopers, and unload a decent army of 5 mechs and 25 troopers. Is this possible? Or does the game limit the total number of units on the air/sea transport and "notice" that you're trying to get around the restriction?
 SITH LORD
06-07-2002, 8:10 PM
The computer will not let you carry loaded assault mechs in air transports.
 Darth Windu
06-08-2002, 10:45 AM
People, you're missing my point, im not talking about all fighter's carry troops, just the Republic Gunship (and make it so it only carries troops, not mechs, heavies etc)
 J-5
06-08-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Darth Windu
People, you're missing my point, im not talking about all fighter's carry troops, just the Republic Gunship (and make it so it only carries troops, not mechs, heavies etc)

I think that gives the republic a disadvantage even if its "more like the movies", and as said before, it lessens (but doesn't eliminate) the need for air transports. Would the trooper die if the gunship was destroyed? If so, you would have to micro a bunch of gunships to their "drop zones" instead of using them as they were meant to be used... as fighters! And while your dropping your troops off, enemy missiles are picking off your gunships. Get what I mean, gunships are meant to be fighting not dropping, that what air transports do! They're durable enough to take hits from missiles, while gunships are not!!
 Darth Windu
06-09-2002, 1:04 AM
Which is why the Gunship should be the Republics second unique unit, but thats for another topic. If the gunship was shot down, yes the trooper would die. Also, i dont think it would disadvantage the Republic, as you could use them as pure fighters anyway.
 Kryllith
06-10-2002, 3:00 PM
I can see making the gunship carry troops if the republic lost the ability to have air transports. They'd get the bonus of having troop transports that can attack like fighters, but they lose the ability to air drop bigger units like mechs and artillery. I wouldn't have a problem with that. After all, their ability to pump out troops is one of the advantages of the Republic, making a change like this would simply focus more on their using troops than mechs/artillery.

Kryllith
 simwiz2
06-10-2002, 7:11 PM
having fighters carry things would be awful. it is already super-tedious getting all my fighters repaired by right-clicking them, but it would be so much worse if i had to use the repair button because the workers kept trying to board (like what happens when trying to repair mechs/ air transports).
 Sithmaster_821
06-10-2002, 8:03 PM
Your gunship idea belongs on its rightful thread and no it isnt a good idea just something that makes the game slightly more like the movies.
 Darth Windu
06-11-2002, 8:12 AM
sithmaster - i have already made a Gunship thread, and according to the majority of people who have posted there, they agree with me that it is a good idea, but only if its a unique unit, not the fighter.
 lionsault9
06-18-2002, 2:38 PM
It is all so unrealistic. I think that a proper transport sholud be the one we see at the movies. The imperial shuttle should be able to land as well as other civ's transports during loading and unloading. They also should be able to transport lots of unit. (whats the pt if they can only transport 5 units)The republic gunship also should be able to transport at least 5 clone trooper.

TIE fighter should be able to shoot 2 green lasers instead of one as u can see in e4,5,6 and TIE intercepter 4 lasers as for TIE defender forget it . Eliminate em'. They look like ******* to me.
 Treacherous Mercenary
06-18-2002, 3:32 PM
I know what should be done then. Make the standard transport carry ten units, but carry less mechs, etc to off set it, then if you wanted to, have the gunship carry 5-6 troops and that's it for the republic and possibly make it a seperate, unique unit..
Page: 1 of 1