Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

CC Patch - Finishing Touches

Page: 1 of 1
 Jedi Dad
05-31-2002, 4:19 PM
Here is a list of things I would really like to see in a final 'cleanup' patch for battlegrounds (in addition to fixing any techinical issues that may have been reported):

1) Translucent (semi-transparent) stealth units.

Having the little blue light come on indicating they have stealth is just not very obvious. I need a visual clue using the unit itself so I don't forget. What would really be cool also is to have him go solid (no transparancy) when he is detected.

2) Bounty Hunters that Cost NOVA.

Since when do bounty hunters only work for food (and carbon)? about 75-100 nova should do it.

**This last one may be possible already and I am just missing it, but just in case:

3) Be able to set countdown time limits to trigger events when making custom senerios.

EX. Set a 15 min countdown before units start arriving at a certain location on a map or start attacking your position.
 DarthMaulUK
05-31-2002, 4:27 PM
The Stealth is a good idea. I am sick of units having to get into a formation when retreating, or moving.

This wastes valuable seconds in combat and you lose alot of units. A 'Scatter' or 'retreat' button would be a welcome addition.

I have also not been a fan of rushing. I think Battlegrounds should have been made alittle more like Red Alert where you can only build in a certain radius.

There's alot of new players out there who get put off playing online for this very reason - getting killed in 10 minutes isn't fun. Players want to explore the units and be able to use the Tech 4 units - not stay in Tech 1.

Lucasarts spent too much time listening to the small expert community rather than appealing to the masses. Sure - if you are good enough to hold out against a rush but not everyone can.

DMUK
 Jedi Dad
05-31-2002, 6:13 PM
To help counter the quick rush, what they should do is add a time penality for long distance construction. The further you are away from your starting location, the longer it should take to build unit production buildings (carbon, ore, towers, walls... would not be effected).

EX. if you are on the opposite side of the map and are building a troop or mech building just out of your enemies LOS, it should take about 4-6 times as long to build the building, thus giving the other person a chance to find this out while scouting. If they don't scout, well then that is their problem.
 darthpotty
06-01-2002, 2:26 AM
rushing is a weak tatic for people who can't win games the hard way.

the red alret idea is not bad but there is a way of getting around as i found was that you just bulid turrets till you reaach their base.

so whats to stop someone from makeing a line of gaurd towers to someones base.

they should also fix the problem of more units per team. because i make droidka armies and i want to have 50 on one team nor 20 or 30.
 Slimmer
06-01-2002, 4:03 AM
oh my.... what they needed to was add more Campaigns to old Civs like 3or4 for a new mini campaign.

The Time Counter is there i just dont know who to use it for scenarios but others do.

Reason they didnt use Red Alerts game engine is simple look at its Profits and then look at the Profits Age of Empirese had. Theres your answer. Also Red Alert was not a true RTS game. But in cased you missed it they did use a Red Alert Theme when they made the Power Core (as u mentioned above about the range where you can build).

As far as Rushing you better learn otherwise get ready to lose in 10 -20 minutes like DMUK did to me. ever heard Survival of the Fittest. Also MircoManaging your resources takes Skill thats why SpaceMass was made the way it was(by accident), so all would learn how MircoManage your resources.

There is by the way a new patch coming but susposedly its only to fix the Install Wizard problems or something like that. It will not fix any gameplay at all.
 arthur
06-01-2002, 11:41 AM
How about a way to also turn off a lot of those animations so it would run faster on slower machines, even faster machines sometimes chug. Like jumping fish, excessive frames of animation, etc.
 Tummy
06-02-2002, 7:41 PM
To fix the slowdown time just get more ram, that helps ALOT
 Kryllith
06-03-2002, 1:05 PM
I'm not much of a rusher, prefering to wait until the at least the 3rd tech level when I have access to most forms of units, though I'm not above an early rush if I start out with someone right next to me (which tends to happen with 7 opponents). The computer loves to rush though, so I play quite defesively at first to stave off the rushes. It generally works... I don't like the idea of making things build slower the further you are away from home base. Heck, given the requirement of power cores/droids people already face the problem of slower building if they don't spend the time and resources to outfit their places with power. The idea might be good in AoC/AoK, since you don't need power for speed there, but not in SWGB.

I DO think that the maximum level in a group should be uped. I get sick of having a few units being left behind because I thought I was controlling them all and ended up no doing so. I'd also like to be able to set up quick keys between groups of units. There may be a way to do this already (I haven't really looked into it) but it would be nice to press number and go to one "set" group then hit another number and go to another. Anyone know if this is already in the game and I'm just working harder than I need to?

Kryllith
 Jedi Dad
06-03-2002, 3:15 PM
True, without a power core, unit build speed is alot slower, so I can live with that.

I would also like more in a group. As for your grouping issue, CTRL-# will assign all those selected to number #. Hitting # will select them all again.
 J-5
06-03-2002, 7:42 PM
I'm not sure if this would be possible on a patch, but I think that jedi should become more like spellcasters rather than combat units :cool: . I thought that this would be the case when I bought the game, but all that jedi get is Conversion. Here are my ideas for new jedi "spells":

FORCE LIGHTNING: Jedi master shoot lightning that effects a large area. Good versus a large group of enemies (think Protoss High Templar)

FORCE GRAVITY: (of something like that) Jedi master can cause one enemy unit to float (but this would be hard to illustrate on SWGB's engine) for a period of time. Good for retreating or just neutralizing a tough enemy unit (such as an AT-AT or cannon)

SHIELD: maybe some type of shell that a Jedi master can cast on one friendly unit. The shield minimizes damage from most enemy units, nullifies all damage from a bounty hunter (so cast it on other jedi), and vanishes after a period of time.

These spells could turn the tide of a battle and give the Jedi a true assignment on the battlefield. Right now, besides counterunits, the civ with the largest army wins (one-on-one). Though it is highly unlikely that these spells will ever be incorporated in the game (I mean HIGHLY UNLIKELY :( ), I think that it would be cool to do something besides conversion
:D .
 Kryllith
06-04-2002, 12:51 PM
Cool, that should make things a heck of a lot easier for all the micromanaging I do. ;) Thanks for the tip.

Kryllith
 Kryllith
06-04-2002, 12:53 PM
While we're talking about Jedi spells, how about letting Jedi's levitate the relics so they can defend themselves on the way back to a temple. :)

Kryllith
 Darth Windu
06-05-2002, 12:20 PM
The relics do levitate when the Jedi grab them.
Also, the one thing i would like to see in a patch/expansion? DEBRIS!!! Im probably being picky here, but a unit just exploding doesnt seem very realistic to me, especially considering that i play C&C: Tiberian Sun and C&C: Red Alert 2 where if you blow up a tank, pieces of it go flying and hit the ground individually, and if you shoot down an aircraft, you can see it spinning out of control then hit the groud and explode (with debris) in a ball of flames.
 Fishflesh
06-05-2002, 12:45 PM
GO Play Red alert!
 Kryllith
06-05-2002, 12:51 PM
The relics levitate? Then why aren't my jedi able to fight while carrying them?

Kryllith
 D'Blee
06-06-2002, 12:35 AM
Because the Dark Side clouds everything. Or some other generic Star Wars catchall excuse.

Yes, the Jedi and Sith do look pretty cool waving their hands and floating the relics back to base. Shame they still can't stop themselves being eaten by Rancors, though.

Right now, besides counterunits, the civ with the largest army wins (one-on-one).

This is a bit of an odd thing to say because, with every unit getting a bonus of some kind against every other unit, the entire game is basically composed of counterunits. One aircruiser beats twenty repeaters beat five mech destroyers beat ten strike mechs beat twelve mounted troopers beat thirty AA mobiles beat one aircruiser. Numbers are not a single decisive factor.
 J-5
06-06-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by D'Blee

This is a bit of an odd thing to say because, with every unit getting a bonus of some kind against every other unit, the entire game is basically composed of counterunits. One aircruiser beats twenty repeaters beat five mech destroyers beat ten strike mechs beat twelve mounted troopers beat thirty AA mobiles beat one aircruiser. Numbers are not a single decisive factor.

Okay, I'll go with that, but don't you think that the use of spells could allow a lesser army overcome a larger, better composed army. Say a Jedi master and 10 repeaters face off against 20 repeaters and 3 bounty hunters. Army 1 would typically lose to Army 2 (given that they are upgraded nearly equal). Now say that the master unleashes a Force Lightning spell over Army 2's heads. If it is like Psionic Storm of SC, all of the troopers atleast, get their heads ripped off, leaving the 3 bounties to deal with all of Army 1. Get it, Got it, GOOD!!

I've seen hoardes of clonetroopers rip through strike armies, so that what I meant by largest army.
 Koenig
06-06-2002, 12:53 PM
Hmm Rushes are quite weak I guess, but if D-Day wasn't a massed Infantry rush at first, then what was it?. No one likes to use it(well some do) but sometimes its the only way to break a well put together base.Trade Federation players are encouraged to rush because thats they way the Trade Federation works
Page: 1 of 1