Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Power Droid Strategies

Page: 1 of 1
 J-5
05-29-2002, 7:26 PM
I noticed that there hasn't been much talk about power droids (that I've seen) since the expansion came out. I was wondering, how often do you guys use power droids? How many would you typically make during, say tech-1? Do you use them at all or do you just continue to build a bunch of power cores? They seem like they be good to use in a forward base. And do you remember to research the power core technologies? OK, enough questions, time for some answers (please :) ).
 D'Blee
05-30-2002, 12:24 AM
Power droids are apparently great for forward bases. Haven't tried them with a rush, yet, although I see no reason why they shouldn't be useful in this regard, since they save you a) the worker time needed to get a PC up and b) enough carbon for about three troopers - which is a lot, early in the game. Gonk, gonk, smile.

I also use them for powering ore and nova dumpsites, which are typically a bit far away from the main base and only actually need to be powered for a minute or so in the average game - not worth the carbon for a powercore, but you might benefit from the slight edge in research speed if you send a Gonk over there. Gonk, gonk, tee hee.

Finally, in combat - this is not my idea, I can't take credit for it, but someone over at Mr. Fixit came up with this and I can't remember his name. Send them into a fight and the story is that enemy units prioritize them, gaining you a few seconds of freeplay - much like leading an air assault with transports to soak up the damage while your fighters wreak havoc. Gonk, gonk, chuckle.
 Kryllith
05-30-2002, 3:07 PM
Ditto, I used them move them about for ore/nova facilities and for forward movements. They also work fairly well if you can stick them with a jedi master or so and you want to start converting buildings... like shield generators...

Kryllith
 TheMadDoofer
05-31-2002, 8:35 PM
The only time I used them was in the Republic campaign where you need them to establish a wookie base.:D

:fett:
 Sithmaster_821
06-01-2002, 1:19 PM
They are enormously good for forward building. They're cheaper than power cores and, if you cart them in with your foward builders, then buildings work at full speed instantly. (and sheilds start instantly too:D )
 J-5
06-01-2002, 6:07 PM
So, you guys prefer to use them outside your main base. I use them early on in a game, but later, I prefer the power core. PCs are far more sturdy and reliable than PDs. By then, 200 carbon is a cheap amount of resources to pay for a PC (only unless your TF :( ).
 Paragon_Leon
06-01-2002, 8:10 PM
it's always good to keep a power droid handy next to a power core. you can imagine why...

is it my imagination or are the power droids one of the best new additions in the game ?
 Crazy_dog no.3
06-02-2002, 7:23 AM
It's a good addition.

When I get CC I too will probably use PDs for foward bases and resource proccesing centres.
 Heavyarms
06-02-2002, 8:46 AM
you must remember that you must make a PC first, then a PD can be made in the power core.
Page: 1 of 1