Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Star Wars Galaxies.. Nothing but Bounty Hunters?

Page: 1 of 2
 JediGhost[SITH]
05-27-2002, 4:07 PM
I'm interested in hearing about some jobs people are taking up on SWG (or planning to), not including Jedis and Bounty Hunters.

If all the game had was Bounty Hunters and Jedis, well, there'd be no cars, pets, droids, etc.. Because who would build them!?

I'm going to try to be a Doctor/Physician and/or a Musician.. If Bartending is interesting, I might travel that road.

What jobs are you guys trying for?
 Kwok69
05-27-2002, 4:56 PM
Hi JG. I want to be a miner, there are several reasons for this but I dont want to let on just yet (mmwuuhahaha:D)
I will say this though, I heard a man can make a pretty penny selling mined crystals to jedi for use in making holocrons!
 setsuko
05-27-2002, 6:52 PM
Right now, I'll guess I'll keep a low profile and see what eventual armed duties will be necessary for our dream-town. So no, not everyone will be bountyhunters. I guess I am far to territorial to chase around the galaxy!
 Madcow
05-27-2002, 6:54 PM
I am being a thief, mainly because you don't need much cash for it
 Gaalgoth
05-27-2002, 7:11 PM
Cow, as far as i've heard there are no thieves in this game. and ghost, as far as BH's and Jedis go, there will be many who strive to become them but few will reach that level. True, tehre will be more BH's then there are jedi, but not everyone who wants to be a BH will be a BH. There isn't a button that lets you instantly be Boba Fett, and once most of the would-be Bounty Hunters realize they have to work to become a Bounty Hunter they will probably just quit and try being a soldier or something that they get to shoot stuff with. Besides, many of those that do have the initiative to be a bounty hunter don't realize that you actually have to hunt down your prey using tip-offs and hacking skills before you can kill them. Don't worry, there won't be too many Bounty Hunters.
 Ulic Quel Droma
05-28-2002, 2:01 AM
i keep seeing you guy say that people would rather be bh's then jedi and that alot of people will realise they cant and give up, but what about people like me who are gonna try 100% to be a jedi, personaly i think bounty hunting would be a stupid job cause all the people i've seen wanting to be one are gonna limit the jobs and pay
 Wraith 8
05-28-2002, 7:49 AM
Ulic.... read the sticky thread in the general discussion.. and we will talk there about it... not every thread on these foprums has to go about jedi...

I want to be a transport Tycoon :D.. im gonna trade stuff.. haul stuff.. im gonna be a transporter.. if people want a ride to another planet (when the spae expansion comes) i will give them a ride and all.... and occasionaly i will take on Smuggling ...
 Kwok69
05-28-2002, 1:52 PM
so then wraith - I may have a job for u in the future, perhaps we could come to some arrangement?

Kwok
 JediGhost[SITH]
05-28-2002, 5:35 PM
Well I've decided I will try to pursue the doctor career. Since there aren't many of them, when you get hurt (or need a physical) I'll be the only one!

P.S. Plus they all have big houses, hott women, fat wallets, and nice cars.
 setsuko
05-28-2002, 6:09 PM
Originally posted by JediGhost[SITH]

P.S. Plus they all have big houses, hott women, fat wallets, and nice cars.

You mean, hutt women?
 DudEhead
05-28-2002, 6:19 PM
Hmm... if bounty hunterism don't work out, i'll try han solo style smuggling... if that don't work either, im gonna be a leet womp rat :p ...
 Jan Gaarni
05-28-2002, 6:32 PM
I think he means HOT women. :D
 JediGhost[SITH]
05-29-2002, 12:36 AM
Actually it is supposed to have 2 T's

hott.

We're not talking about hot, but hott. Okay? not hot. lol
 Wraith 8
05-29-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Kwok69
so then wraith - I may have a job for u in the future, perhaps we could come to some arrangement?

Kwok ofcourse.. im sure we can come to an aragment.. the only down side right now is that at the start wthere will be only 2 kinds of vehicels... speederbikes and speeder.... hopefully one with a big loadung space :D
 Kwok69
05-29-2002, 7:28 PM
sokay wraith, In the beginning i forsee a stock pile of resources happening for a time. When a freighter we possess, travel you will, hmmm?
 Vesentac
05-30-2002, 3:17 AM
I'm also will probably play a miner,

not for crystals though...

more for specific types of rare ore if I'm lucky......
 Wraith 8
05-30-2002, 4:34 AM
Originally posted by Kwok69
sokay wraith, In the beginning i forsee a stock pile of resources happening for a time. When a freighter we possess, travel you will, hmmm? yeah sure :D... i hope they release the game with all sorts of speeders... even cargo.... BTW Kwok... uhm.. you are gonna hire npc's arent you? it is alot easier to let them mine for you :D

Originally posted by Vesentac
I'm also will probably play a miner,

not for crystals though...

more for specific types of rare ore if I'm lucky...... if you ever need someone to transport your ore.. call me :D
 JediGhost[SITH]
05-30-2002, 1:37 PM
Wouldn't mining for the Lightsaber Crystals be sort of pointless? If there aren't that many Jedis, who you gonna sell 'em to?

Or could you sell them to NPC Merchants, since I hear that you can buy Lightsabers from some NPCs?

And can NPCs do any job in the game?! If they can, then whats the point of having humans? Just make the NPCs do everything, it's probably much more efficient.

Then we can all spend our time slogging to become Jedis!
 setsuko
05-31-2002, 10:14 AM
We know for a fact that you will be able to hire NPCs to keep your shops. Other than that, I have not read anything by the devs about it.
 JekRendar
05-31-2002, 1:59 PM
Those words echoed thru my head as I was reading the above posts, then I heard Vader, "Only your hatred can destory them!"

I'm now about to light up my flamethrower and mo' your rumps!

Dud, you can't just select BH, similar to Jedi you have to earn it.

Gaal, I don't know about thieves, but slicers are about the closest.

Dud, how do you expect to be a DECENT smuggler with the other half of the SWG players as smugglers too?

Ok, you're lucky my thrower is broken or else you'd be in big doodo!

I'd want to be a Medic (that's what they call them according to Stractics), or a tailor (make my own clothes and sell them to the rich and call it Victor's Secret). Heck, maybe even a Politation (sp?)
 Wookiee
06-01-2002, 2:29 AM
I was thinking of being a weapon/armorsmith but I might be a musician first to make some money on the side and get some funds going.
 Janzeke Khan
06-01-2002, 3:18 AM
Hey Wraith if you ever run into trouble let me know and I'll help protect your cargo.
 Koffin
06-01-2002, 12:48 PM
I want to be a little guy in a space suit who just floats around the galaxy with a big squeegy. As ships fly by, I can clean their windows for tips. Ill be known through out the galaxy as "Galactic Squeegy Man"!!!

Well...either that or Ill be known as "That little spot on the lower left window."
 Demangel
06-02-2002, 8:37 AM
That squeegy bit was something I found utterly hillarious! LOL don't worry man if your the little spot on the lower left corner of my window, I'll make sure not to turn on the windshield wipers.

Who would put windshield wipers on a space ship? Me of course, how else are you going to see when you pass through those meteor showers? ;)

As for my profession?

Well asside from the unmentionably Jedi thing, I am going to start off at least with the intention of simply exploring SWG.

for example in EQ, I was the first in my guild to successfully visit just about EVERY outdoor zone on luclin, and conducted guided tours so to speak all around it, I explored it heavily in the first few weeks after it came out. (I was one of the lucky few who could get it to work on my pc).

So whatever I do it will probably be somewhat similar. I'll be a tough guy of some kind to be sure, but I might not put an emphasis on fighting. But we'll see how the game plays you know?

But probably something along the lines of a guy who simply lives day to day, doing odd jobs for people who need X thing transported, or simply galavanting around the galaxy visiting all the places my faction will allow.

I don't know if this can be called a profession or not the way I am thinking of it. But in all likelyhood it will be a mix of a few of them. As for the Jedi thing? I'll be working on that too in between hopping from planet to planet.

Anyway obviously I will need some piloting skills so some sort of speeder will be important early on, eventualy evolving into either an X-wing/tie of some kind, or some more or less normal transport ship with adequate defenses when the expansion gets released...

It sounds like a fun job. Heck if I don't make it to Jedi, I'm sure to transport one sooner or later on my ship... If I can't be one, I'd like one for a pal heheh.

Myfriend plans on being my big black furred wookie companion... Heheh gotta love die hard friends like that heheh.

But no we won't be doing any Han solo, chewbacca impressions... at least not unless you have good money to throw at us for it.
 JediGhost[SITH]
06-02-2002, 1:44 PM
I don't know if this can be called a profession or not the way I am thinking of it.

If your talking about exploring SWG, it is a job. I think there were 2 that related to this, I can only remember one however, and that was the Adventurer.

How can you get paid for this? Hmm who knows..
 JekRendar
06-03-2002, 1:20 AM
Originally posted by JediGhost[SITH]
If your talking about exploring SWG, it is a job. I think there were 2 that related to this, I can only remember one however, and that was the Adventurer.

How can you get paid for this? Hmm who knows..

That's actually a good question (seriously it is). The Devs themselves said that Explorer was a profession, but how they make money...hmm...? Maybe they get paid to explore (or find) new caves or colonies, or whatever!?!
 Wraith 8
06-03-2002, 7:43 AM
Originally posted by Janzeke Khan
Hey Wraith if you ever run into trouble let me know and I'll help protect your cargo. sure... your on...

that emidiatly brings up a question. will there be something like a comlink in game? or a holonet?
 Legacy_Of_Sith
06-09-2002, 4:13 AM
Will there be a bodyguard profession in the game? If not, I'll probably be a droid builder. :bdroid1:
 JediGhost[SITH]
06-09-2002, 5:06 AM
Nope, there's no Bodyguard profession.
 setsuko
06-09-2002, 6:57 PM
But then, the fact that there is not bodyguard profession doesn't mean that you cant be a bodyguard. Make a good fighting char, and support and protect people for a fee.
-"For 400 creds, I'll watch your back on your next mining expedition"

Then you are a bodyguard. Professions are a name for what skills you possess, not how you use them.
 JediGhost[SITH]
06-09-2002, 7:40 PM
Will there be a bodyguard profession in the game?

The answer is no..

Can he roleplay it? Probably.
 Sounds Risky
06-24-2002, 1:24 PM
I still plan on hunting Krayt Dragons out in the Dune Sea and Jundland Wastes.
 gavor
06-24-2002, 2:25 PM
You sound like you're doing exactly what i'm planning to do Demangel. Maybe we can swap stories/info when the time comes.
 Thew Rydur
06-25-2002, 3:35 AM
OCH gave me a good idea for a character. A big game hunter. Kind of like the guys that went on safaris (spelling?) in the 1900's but instead of an elephant gun I'll have an ion cannon :ion:. I don't know what would be a good race for this, maybe trandoshan or wookie. I guess I could pretty much be an explorer. I might want to have some creature training skills though.
 setsuko
06-25-2002, 4:51 AM
Sounds like a good job. You could hunt and sell hides, and perhaps capture and breed the more rare and exotic animals.
 Jan Gaarni
06-25-2002, 5:27 AM
that emidiatly brings up a question. will there be something like a comlink in game? or a holonet?
I'm fearly positive that there will be a comlink in the game, but how far it will reach, I don't know.

I stated earlier that if it's gonna be realistic then it shouldn't be able to be used to communicate between planets, that you would need to get to a more powerful terminal somewhere on the planet in order to do that.
I figured out a way since then to be able to use the comlink between planets realistically.
All it needs to do is connect (threw the air) to a relay station, either in orbit or on the ground, which then relays the message or call to the other player on another planet. :)

As for the HoloNet, it will be extremelly restricted, and mostly used by the military and COMPNOR.
The HoloNet went down prior to the Clone War in order for the military to take full advantage of it when relaying information back and forth, as can be seen here: HoloNet News (http://www.HoloNetNews.com) :D
...and I believe it remained in military use up until the Empire was driven off of Coruscant.
 JediGhost[SITH]
06-25-2002, 10:25 AM
I read in the FAQ that they are putting in a way to send a message to anyone, anywhere, on any planet.

And I think I read there's a way to just send a message to everyone on your planet as well.

So if you and someone else want to meet somewhere, but your galaxies apart, you can send the message:

"Hey <so and so>, meet me at the cantina on Tatooine."

And no matter where they are, they get the message.
 Koffin
06-25-2002, 11:27 AM
they should make it so you can leave a message on the holonet and the third party must check it periodicly to recieve it.

However...If they are willing to purchase more advanced com equipment, then the message will be sent straight to them.
 Jan Gaarni
06-25-2002, 11:32 PM
hmmm, someone didn't read my post. :D

Ok, here it comes again. ;)

As for the HoloNet, it will be extremelly restricted, and mostly used by the military and COMPNOR.
The HoloNet went down prior to the Clone War in order for the military to take full advantage of it when relaying information back and forth, as can be seen here: HoloNet News (http://www.HoloNetNews.com)
...and I believe it remained in military use up until the Empire was driven off of Coruscant.

This means, if you are lucky, you might be able to slice into the system and send messages, but otherwise, you are gonna have to use alternate systems. :)

That is, IF they will follow the continuety when it comes to the HoloNet. ;)
 JediGhost[SITH]
06-26-2002, 3:58 AM
I'm pretty sure the FAQ said you could send a message anywhere and it would appear in the player's (or every1 on the server) little text box at the bottom of their screen.

Just like a chat room.
 Jan Gaarni
06-26-2002, 4:58 AM
Well, if by server you mean just the planet then that would be the comlink. :D
 JediGhost[SITH]
06-26-2002, 6:12 AM
No, by server I mean everyone..

Communcating in SWG is just like communicating in any other online game.

There's a little chat window at the bottom of your screen that shows sent/received messages.

They aren't getting that much into the roleplaying whereas you have to check your comlink or anything to get messages.

They pop up the text box, type "HI!" hit enter, and voi la, it pops up on your box.
 Koffin
06-26-2002, 6:19 AM
Did I say Holonet?

no,no,no...

Im talking about that thing Han wears in his hair that can transmit signals to a reciever.

It also keeps his hair in place while in zero gravity or when he works at Luby's

Its called a SoloNet.

Sorry about the typo...
 setsuko
06-26-2002, 6:21 AM
If you wear tin foil on your head ingame, the transmissions will be blocked. And aliens won't abduct you, either. Works like a charm! *corrects her RL tin foil hat*
 Koffin
06-26-2002, 6:23 AM
Yeah but in real life it doesnt work so well...

trust me I know......

:yodaball:
 JediGhost[SITH]
06-26-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by setsuko
If you wear tin foil on your head ingame, the transmissions will be blocked. And aliens won't abduct you, either. Works like a charm! *corrects her RL tin foil hat*

Dear God, please say that was a joke... :)
 Jan Gaarni
06-27-2002, 1:13 AM
No, no, no, she is very much seriouse. :D
 Ride
06-27-2002, 2:24 AM
I will try to be a pilot, maybe be some kind of taxi with a land speeder or something. Maybe help pilot a AT-ST, sand crawler, warships, things like that. Maybe be a pilot for one of the bus things, where I fly people across the galaxy or something. I dont know, if not being a pilot of some sort, maybe do something with the pets. Buy/sell/trade sort of thing, a pawn shop or something.
 Darth Phansigar
06-28-2002, 6:49 AM
I may either be a Wookiee miner or a weapon designer. Perhaps even a factory owner and tycoon.

If possible, I may be able to graduate to "Hutt criminal status," so to speak.

The game isn't in my hands yet and we will have to see.

As is for Bounty Hunting, I don't believe that many will have the cunning and stamina to execute the path sucessfully. It is difficult to see though because many are hellbent on doing it.
 Koenig
07-01-2002, 10:38 PM
Thinking about it logicaly if everyone was a bounty hunter the following would apply:

1)Low Bounties, as several go for each one, any high bounties would attract so many a small war would be fought over the target.

2)Happy Times for Gun/equipment makers.

3)High death ratio for Bounty Hunters,especialy new ones, as the sheer numbers involved ensue many conflicts.

All of which means, even if it does happen, thing should even themselves out.
Page: 1 of 2