Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Anyone like the confederacy?

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthTenor
05-24-2002, 5:52 PM
I don't know about the confederacy. They are supposed to be a trooper/ mech civ (according to the manual) much like the GE which are Mech/trooper/jedi civ.

I don't know why everyone seems to bashing the confed right now saying that they are the worst. The game has only been out for a week and still there is alot to learn. I haven't experimented enough with the confeds to warrant a debate on which is the best civ but, Has anyone looked at their use of the controllable predators? They only cost food and each has it's uses to counter certain units. The cost of food will undeniably allow more use of carbon for their mechs, and heavy weapons which are suppose to be the best. (heavy weapons at least)

Goenosian engineers I believe is supposed to allow a faster rate of fire for their artillery. Even causes pummels to attack faster. That is certainly a plus. Have these babies come in with artillery and troopers and mechs as back ups and you would think that they would be really good. A better version of the TF IMHO. Although more expensive. Thus the trade bonuses for confed.

Anti air retrofit would allow them to defend and fight civs that are strong in air.

anyway what are your thoughts on the confederacy?
 Leaper2k2
05-24-2002, 6:25 PM
DT:

I will give you my early views, as I have played them some. Let's start with the predators:

Nexu - This cat is supposed to be good at taking out workers. Actually, it isn' bad at the task at all. However, don't plan on using it for much else.

Reek - The building buster. You need at least 4 of them to concentrate on one structure, and then you begin to see their usefulness. The nice thing about them is that they are relatively cheap, and much quicker than pummels... so just get 4 or 5, pick a building, and forget about them. If they take the building down, they will move to another. Bad thing about 'em : They tend to waste alot of time going after enemy troops when they are left to their own vices... which they are not so good at.

Ackley - The "troop killer". Personally, I would rather use Strike Mechs... but they do kill troops rather fast, and they have decent hit points; so I guess they aren't so bad either.

Next, their special unit, the Genosian Warrior. I personally think as people get better at using them, they will come to appreciate this awesome unit! This baby will take out anything with flesh really fast. Workers... dead. Troopers and Mounted Troopers... meat. And most importantly, Jedi.... toast! It takes longer of course, but they whoop up on Jedi real good!! They also have excellent A.I. as a unit. Put em somewhere and leave them go. They will take out all local fleshies with no micromanagement by you... priceless!!!

As far as Troopers and Mechs... honestly, I would agree with others that the Confederacy is simply Above Average in both categories. Their troopers get pretty great late into the game... but that takes awhile. Their mechs are fine... but certainly not Empire worthy.

Air, Sea, and Jedi..... ah.... who needs' em anyway ! :)

Summary: The Confederacy aren't all that bad. Their economy can be touchy early on.... which may be where some of the gripes are coming from. But midway into the game... they are a tough Civ. to be sure. Late game.... the verdict is still out as far as I am concerned.

O.K. there is my 16 and a half cents.

Peace ~

Leaper
 DarthMuffin
05-24-2002, 9:41 PM
I think the Confederacy is pretty good.

Controlable Preds.: I have found that a bunch of 6-8 reeks can destroy a command center very fastly. About the others, I dont really use them...

Unique Unit: The flying geonosisian:it's awesome! It's one of the most (if its no the most) effective unit against troops. They seems to be a verry effective weapon against a "mass-clonetroopers-republic-attack".

Troopers: They are the second best in the game. Only the wooks are better.

Mechs.: They are pretty good, but there is a lack of upgrades...they dont even have redesingned specifications...

Hvy Weaps.: A lot of upgrades here. The geonosisian engineer ( or something like that) is really useful.

Jedi : No comments

Sea : No comments...but who really uses ships ???

Air : Probably their most notable weakness...

As you can see, the confed. is a great civ, and they are ( I think ) much better than the naboo and TF.
 Gaming Nut
05-25-2002, 6:27 AM
Sicne reason Why they are good have ben lsited I shall shed light on some piotns that they could be consider bad.

Their troopers thou tough are a total pain in the ass to keep at full health in and out of battle If you have like 50 its faster thou not cheaper to simply fight them to their deaths and then build new ones. All the others civs but TF its much cheaper and faster to use 5 medics on a group of damged troopers. This is my biggest beef with them and reason I still use rebels and wookies If I feel like a trooper battle.

Their mechs firepower is sub standard casue they lack the advacned power pack upgrade.

Thou powerful their Heavy weapons aren't leaps and bonuds above 3 other races gungans, Empire, and trade fed. Their engneering tech helps but not a ton Pummels move faster but are still slow as **** and get raped by montuies and jedi which the 3 races that lack good Heavy weapons are good with.

Anyone that likes air or jedi will certainly say they suck.

The pedtoers are worthless sorry but they are.

the worker killer is ok if the fool has no troopes within a mile and a half unlikely.

The reek is faster then a pummel it also has no armor kiss it good bye to anything other then unamred buildings a CC can take like 10 of them.

The trooper killer suffers from the same probelm as a reek no amror a jedi ahs high armor to tkae the ranged shots and close. The perd has no suck advantage and is meat to the very unit it was ment to kill troopers. It dosen't help that its a tech 4 unit and all troopers have full armor, attack, range, and are reapters.

And oh yeah their warriors really arent that good either sure they can take out troopers but AA takes them out easily too. this inculdes AA troopers agian the very thing they should conuter can kill them 1 on 1 its not a fight the warior wins but 30 on 30 with the range and attack upagrdes its AA troopers all the way. And god help you if he brings in AA mobile, fighters, or has a tower.

Their not usless but their hardly usful alot of the time either.
 J-5
05-25-2002, 10:01 AM
Then can't it be said that the Confederacy will take a little more skill to play with. No you can't just make 200 clonetroopers and call it a day. They are probably the best when you have a mix force backing each other up (so is any other race but esp. the confeds.) And they have the best workers it the game after you research Geonosian Diligence. They certainly aren't a beginner's civ. Anyway I finished their campaign and had a blast playing it ;) .

(p.s. what is a pedtoer?)
 DarthMuffin
05-25-2002, 11:08 AM
(p.s. what is a pedtoer?)

He just misspelled, it's predator.
 Crazy_dog no.3
05-25-2002, 2:03 PM
I liked them even though I haven't played.:D
 J-5
05-25-2002, 2:07 PM
In that case, Gaming Nut is right, the predators are pretty worthless. I tried to air drop the Nexu (5) on the enemy's CC to take out the farmers and they only get to kill one worker while the rest garrison in the CC and destroy my Nexu :mad: . I air drop them because they have horrible staying power (e.i. no armor). This strategy doesn't really replace the pummel drop not that I thought it would. Computer controlled workers will attack Nexu also. I think the Nexu should be available in tech-2 because after that, they lose their usefulness (or would lose).

As for the Reek, they cost 125 food, but you'll need alot of them to take out larger buildings. Support them, because they also have no armor. At least they are fast moving. I think they are the most useful predators.

Lets see, tech-4, what should I use to kill troopers? Strike mech or Ackley? Well one is ranged with armor and one is melee with no armor. I know! I'll use... the Geonosian Warrior!!:D

But seriously, don't think that I suddenly don't like the Confeds because I'm still a supporter of them. I just don't like the predators much.
 DarthMuffin
05-27-2002, 8:52 PM
You are right. Predators are not that usefull. When I wrote that I destroyed a CC with 8 reeks, I forgot to say that sev'rance tann was with them...
 Kryllith
05-28-2002, 3:37 PM
I've not played the Confed that much (only in the scenarios) but I don't think they are that bad. I do think that the delayed tech for the creatures is pretty sad though. If they were available earlier (T2 & T3 or T1 & T2 instead of T3 & T4) then they'd be a lot more useful... Course, if the Reek and Nexu were available at T1, I imagine the Confed would suddenly shoot way up in the ranks.

Kryllith
 duder
05-28-2002, 3:50 PM
Originally posted by J-5
They are probably the best when you have a mix force backing each other up (so is any other race but esp. the confeds.) And they have the best workers it the game after you research Geonosian Diligence. They certainly aren't a beginner's civ. Anyway I finished their campaign and had a blast playing it ;) .

I don't see much point in a research that strenthens your workers in t4. Strike mechs, fighters, repeaters, Jedi, and Assault mechs will still rip through them like they arent even there!!! Bit of a waste of a tech if you ask me.

They miss out on some key war centre techs for the mechs and troopers, which is a real killer in long games. I've not got the game, but apparently the predators really arent that good either.

Their saving grace is their trading, which is far superior to any other civ. They will probably be a strong civ on low nova maps.
 Gaming Nut
05-28-2002, 10:51 PM
The T4 upgarde also make them harvest faster since they knew people would think what you just said about an amror and hit piont upgrade.

The driod upgrade Gives their troopers 3+ attack their acutlly tougher then advacned power pack equided troopers. Thats the only key upgadre they lose Ture their mech are somewaht substanard. But you've just got to attack frist that off sets the weakness.
 DarthMuffin
05-28-2002, 11:02 PM
Gives their troopers 3+ attack their acutlly tougher then advacned power pack equided troopers

But they are still weaker than wookie's.
 Sithmaster_821
05-28-2002, 11:04 PM
The predators gain from all troper upgrades including droid upgrade. However only the reek is anywhere near worth using. Their +3 attack although better than most civs is really offset by no adv pwer pack. Their mechs aren't very strong for a mech strong civ. They're weaker than GE, TF, and the gungans and have worse strike mechs than the naboo. They lack adv power pack, redesigned specs, and hv. strike mechs. They're only strong point is heavy weapons but in cc massed artillry has been toned down. They're warrior although strong dies quickly and isn't cheap.
Page: 1 of 1