Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

ScuMMVM, DOTT and Sam&Max

Page: 1 of 1
 DjalenzoH
05-10-2002, 8:18 AM
Hi there, i've recently came up with a copy of DOTT and Sam&Max all in full talkie, and in goog shape. Trouble is, i'm using WinXP, i've tried Using scummvm to run DOTT and Sam&max.... they run fine , but i can only get speech and sound fx... no music. what must i do? Thanks for the help in advance guys.
 bgbennyboy
05-10-2002, 4:08 PM
Try LEC Quick And Easy (http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/news/catnews.php?category=developernews)
Scroll down to find the post

Not sure about ScummVM, wait for endy to reply for that
 john_doe
05-10-2002, 6:19 PM
AFAIK ScummVM has problems with these games' iMuse implementations or something like that...not sure.
 DjalenzoH
05-11-2002, 4:16 AM
Thanks Guys! MANY THANKS!!! I'll try this now.
 DjalenzoH
05-11-2002, 6:24 AM
Ok, so i've installed LEC Quick n easy 3.0. I've configured the VDM part, now i've found that there are 2 folders both named DOTT and Samnmax inside the QuicknEasy folder. Am i suposed to copy every file concerning each game, into those folders? I've done so, and when i run them thru Quick n easy, DOTT runs fine, except that whenever a touch Enter or Escape the game freezes, and even pressing the "." key, it still won't budge. As for SamNMax it just displays a black screen, seems to be frozen in there... am i doing something wrong?.. Im terribly sorry to bother u guys with theses lame questions, but it's been so long since i've played these masterpieces, i'd just luv to play them one more time.:(

Thanks.
 Serge
05-11-2002, 6:39 AM
The keys problem... WinXP uses a new codepage (437) for DOS Prompts to add support for special characters like, say, the Euro symbol. This screws up a LOT of DOS programs that depend on the old codepages. So...

Before running the game, type "chcp 850" at the DOS prompt to change the keyboard code page to the old DOS standard for US keyboards. And run the game from the SAME DOS prompt. If you open another, or run the game directly from Windows (making Windows open another DOS prompt) the codepage is reset.

Or, if you know where to find the Q&E .bat file that runs the game, just add chcp 850 before the line where the game is run. I don't remember where the Q&E .bat file is... Probably in the Q&E directory, and called something like Q+E.bat.

Hope this helps. As for SNM, don't know... Might be the same. I seem to recall sometimes having to press a key before the game started.

- Serge
 Serge
05-11-2002, 6:43 AM
About "bothering". You aren't. These forums are here to let people ask questions etc. :) Although this might be more related to the Help forum, the same people (bgbennyboy etc.) seem to frequent here.

- Serge
 DjalenzoH
05-11-2002, 7:18 AM
Thanks for the help guys. The chcp 850 solved the problem for DOTT, now i have to run it thru the Q+E bat file. The problem now is, that every time a character starts a voice line, it abruptly stops... until i press the "." key... can't figure this one out. SamNMax still refuses to run. i get a Rom 93 error while running it.
:(
I know this should be in the Help forum... maybe u should copy everything over there?

Thanks guys.
 Serge
05-11-2002, 7:31 AM
Moved :)

Rom 93... Probably Room 93, right? :) No idea why it would do that. Sounds like a corrupted resource file.

- Serge
 DjalenzoH
05-11-2002, 7:46 AM
Oh no... this just isn't my day. I recall though, having a P120, with 32Ram and dos installed in it. and this same copy worked fine there. :confused:
 bgbennyboy
05-11-2002, 8:06 AM
The chcp thing is a known problem (thanks Serge)

The reason they wont work is because youve done it wrong :)

Uninstall Q+E then delete the Q+E folder that gets left behind
Reinstall it
Start Q+E
Setup vdmsound bits - (choose the vdmsrun.bat and click the filecopy button)
Click on the sam and max radio button in the setup
Click the max head
Put your S+M cd in
Browse in the filecopy tool to your cd and to the SAMNMAX folder on it
Click go
Do the same for DOTT (but with the DOTT cd obviously)
It'll all be fine
 DjalenzoH
05-11-2002, 9:19 AM
First of all, Thanks for the help everyone. However BGbennyboy... i've done everything u said, and religiously followed every step. Sam &max still doesn't work. I get a Windows msg "an error was encountered while attempting to open file 'samnmax.ini' for reading --- last error reported by Windows: 0x00000002 - The System could not find the file specified".:confused:

I'm sure there's something wrong with my system. I'm close to tears of frustration now...
 bgbennyboy
05-11-2002, 9:29 AM
Strange
Try reinstalling vdmsound
 DjalenzoH
05-11-2002, 9:33 AM
OK, i'm close to solving the problem. For DOTT it's fixed. running directly from LEC Quick and easy it won't run, says that Tentacle is no a external command, program or batch file.. :confused: (go figure)... but goign directly to the Q+E batch file it runs just fine, all i have to do is do a copy of it and rename it DOTT or something, and add the Chcp 850 line to it. As for Sam & max, i go inside the SamnMax folder inside Q+E folder, and run samnmax.exe with VDMs, since Q+E generates the correct samnmax-ini file. I run it and get an error msg, but clicking it goes away, just one problem though, the speech is all slllllooowwwedd Doooowwwnnn... it's pitched down... how can i solve this one?

And Thanks for the amazing program BGbennyboy. :D
 DjalenzoH
05-11-2002, 9:42 AM
OK, i'm close to solving the problem. For DOTT it's fixed. running directly from LEC Quick and easy it won't run, says that Tentacle is no a external command, program or batch file.. :confused: (go figure)... but goign directly to the Q+E batch file it runs just fine, all i have to do is do a copy of it and rename it DOTT or something, and add the Chcp 850 line to it. As for Sam & max, i go inside the SamnMax folder inside Q+E folder, and run samnmax.exe with VDMs, since Q+E generates the correct samnmax-ini file. I run it and get an error msg, but clicking it goes away, just one problem though, the speech is all slllllooowwwedd Doooowwwnnn... it's pitched down... how can i solve this one?

And Thanks for the amazing program BGbennyboy. :D

PS: oddly enough, now both of them work thru the Q+E bat file process. neat. Though they crash a bit often...
 bgbennyboy
05-11-2002, 9:43 AM
Not an external comand?!?!?!
Holy hell never had this before.
Does it say that in a windows dialog box or in the dos window that appears when you click go?

That samnmax.ini file is a modified vdms.ini that stops the s+m slow speech problem.
The line: dosdrv -i:samnmax.ini
Makes vmdsound use that ini instead of its default one.

Is vdmsound installed on the same drive as Quick and Easy?
This sounds like cocked-up .bat files
Run S+M through Q+E then paste me the contents of Q+E.bat here.
Then run DOTT through Q+E and paste the contents here.
 DjalenzoH
05-11-2002, 11:30 PM
OK, so here's the copy paste of the Q+E file for DOtt:

cd D:\jogos\Quick And Easy\
dosdrv -i:lucasvdm.ini
cd D:\jogos\Quick And Easy\DOTT
Tentacle.exe a s220/7/50

And the one from Samnmax:

cd D:\jogos\Quick And Easy\
dosdrv -i:samnmax.ini
cd D:\jogos\Quick And Easy\SamNMax
Samnmax.exe m s220/7/8

I must add, that i've turned these into separate batch files now.. to be used with the chcp string. And they work fine now. Thanks for the help!!!!!:D
 bgbennyboy
05-12-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by bgbennyboy
Not an external comand?!?!?!
Holy hell never had this before.
Does it say that in a windows dialog box or in the dos window that appears when you click go?

Is vdmsound installed on the same drive as Quick and Easy?

Could you answer me these questions? Because I'll have to fix this in the next version.
Cheers:)
 DjalenzoH
05-12-2002, 9:29 PM
It says that in a DOS box. The VMDS is in a diferent drive.
Page: 1 of 1