Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Whats a good multiplayer game I should get?

Page: 1 of 1
 Silent_Thunder
05-23-2001, 8:45 PM
I was getting a little bored with Jedi Knight and MotS. So I'm looking for a good multiplayer FPS or action game to tide me over 'till I get JKII and SWG :). Two games I found that interested me a bit were Elite Force and Mech Warrior 4. Has anyone ever played either of these games, and are they worth getting for multiplayer only?

I remeber reading somewhere that Elite Force was discribed as Jedi Knight but not as hyper. So I was wondering, if I'm not a huge fan (wich I'm not) of Star Trek, will I still enjoy the game? And is it the same as JK but worse? Or is it a different experience?

Does anyone know of any other games that are good in multiplayer?

BTW, I got Tribes 2 alittle over a month ago and find it very fun. However I don't play it very much do to bad lag, and it's very poor deathmatch. So I'm waiting until new patches come out to make the game more stable.

Thanks for the help :).
 Garindan
05-23-2001, 9:18 PM
here are a few:

Total Annhilation
Force Commander (lags when someone doesn't use cable)
X-Wing Alliance
 Silent_Thunder
05-23-2001, 9:24 PM
Hmmm, neither of those games are FPS or action, are they? Also, have you played Elite Force or MEch Warrior 4? If so, can you comment on that?
 OnlyOneCanoli
05-23-2001, 9:30 PM
MechWarrior 4 is awesome. Great SP experience too.

I don't have EF, but I've heard great things about it.

I also recommend Unreal Tournament and Half-Life.
 Silent_Thunder
05-23-2001, 9:33 PM
Thanks for the info, I heard some bad things about Mech Warrior 4 not supporting mouse and keyboard very well. Is that true? If I get Mech Warrior 4 for multiplayer only, will I be disapointed? what I mean is, is it a complete multiplayer game, or is the single player the main part of it?
 OnlyOneCanoli
05-23-2001, 9:45 PM
I highly highly highly recommend a joystick for it. I did play with a mouse and keyboard once... it's playable, but you probably won't be as good as you could be with a joystick.

And you will not be dissapointed with MP only.
 Silent_Thunder
05-23-2001, 9:53 PM
OK, thanks for the info OnlyOneCanoli. What joystick would you recommend? Becuase of the lack of mouse and Keyboard support, I'll probably be getting one of the FPS you mentioned, unless Mech Warrior is really outstanding.

Do you actually own Mech Warrior 4? And can you tell me anything about it that you like? Or how the gameplay is in MP?

Thanks again for the infomation :)
 SithSeeD
05-23-2001, 10:20 PM
The answer to your query is : Counter-Strike

The best multiplayer game around. :mad:
 OnlyOneCanoli
05-23-2001, 11:07 PM
I'd recommend the Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 for $45.

Yes, I own the game. You just can't beat marching around a city in a 75 ton machine, armed to the teeth. Are there better games? Yes. But you certainly can't go wrong with MW4.

Speaking of better games, I actually prefer playing Unreal Tourney. Has some really fantastic mods out there to enhance the MP experience.

A lot of people rave about Half-Life. I'm one of the few who doesn't enjoy Counter Strike. I've tried to play it several times, but never really got into it. The Day of Defeat mod, imo, is much better.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with any of those games. Downside to MW4 is that you need a joystick. Downside to UT is no single player campaign (but there are plenty of bots to keep you satisfied if you don't feel like internet gaming. Half-Life has a stellar SP mode and many many mods out there for your enjoyment.

It'd be hard for me to tell you what to get. Look for some second opinions and look at some reviews, perhaps at a place like IGN PC (http://pc.ign.com).
 Silent_Thunder
05-23-2001, 11:26 PM
Yes, I've checked out IGN PC for reviews for games, thats how I found Mech Warrior 4 and Elite Force :). I was just curious what the general public thought of those games :).

Also, I would prefer to play a game that isn't full of gore. As I beleive that Half-Life, and Unreal are. So, basicly, the game I'm looking for is a good FPS, or action game, that (if its an fps) is similiar to Jedi Knight, and has an ESRB rating of 13+.
 OnlyOneCanoli
05-24-2001, 1:06 AM
You can turn gore off in UT. In HL, you can for the SP, but in the MP it needs to be activated.
 Garindan
05-24-2001, 1:17 AM
why didn't you say first person oops you did, but you sed action as well i thought ah never mind.

ok for multiplay:

i do not know. sorry. oh wait! Project:IGI but i only plaid the single playr. rrrrrrrghhhh
 Kurgan
05-25-2001, 8:49 AM
Good to see the forums back. ; )

I'd highly recommend Unreal Tournmament as giving you the most Multiplayer bang for your buck, assuming of course your computer can handle it.

The GOTY edition provides more MP play-value out of the box than any other FPS game I've ever seen (of course you don't get any single player campaign in the traditional sense, but the long hard road to the final battle is fun nonetheless).

Kurgan
 Silent_Thunder
05-25-2001, 3:33 PM
Kurgan, do you think that a 550 MHz with a GeForce 2 MX 32mb, with 128 ram be enough? I can run Tribes 2 fairly well with it, and from what I've heard, it takes a lot to get it running even though the graphics arn't the best.

I might get Unreal Tourney, but like I said before, I would prefer a game with out gore. In general, it seems like when you turn the gore off on a game such as Unreal, the only thing it gets rid of is blood. However, you'd still see players having their arms, legs, or heads, being blown off. I don't consider that turning off the gore.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting MechWarrior 4, unless I hear some bad things about it. Anyone have any idea why I Shouldn't get MEch4?

[ May 25, 2001: Message edited by: Silent_Thunder ]
 sammoyedigimon
05-31-2001, 12:20 AM
command&conquer red alert the arsenal.that was one game not three.donkey kong 64 is best for n64. :D
 Darth_Simpson
05-31-2001, 10:28 AM
Elite Force doesn't have much gore in it, and it's an excellent game. Check out the demo.

I think the game has a T rating.
 Silent_Thunder
05-31-2001, 7:58 PM
Darth Simpson, can you comment on Mech Warrior 4? I'm kind of leaning towards getting that, since it's something new, and I have many FPS's already....

In comparision to Tribes 2, how do you think Elite force would run on a 550 MHz, with 128 RAM, and a Gefore 2 MX 32mb. Tribes 2 runs pretty well, with all of the detail up to max, and the resolution fairly low.

I assume you've played Jedi Knight, so how is ELite Force in comparison to that? Better? Worse? Or different?

Thanks for the reply :)
 Darth_Simpson
05-31-2001, 10:34 PM
Mech 4 is also very good, but you really need a joystick to get the most out of it. Multiplayer is excellent, and the net-code is fantastic. I can actually play 12 people on a map with my 56k modem with very little lag. Gotta love that!

You have Quake 3 right? Elite Force is a Q3 engine game, so the performance should be similar. Elite Force should run waaay better than Tribes 2 on your system, I speak from experience. I have a PC that's pretty similiar to yours, and Tribes 2 ran like a 3-legged dog. ;)
Very hard to compare it directly to Jedi Knight, but I would say it's better. I'm really sick of JK though, so my opinion could be biased... ;)

I'm not sure which one I would choose of the two above. I really like Mech 4, but I love Voyager. If you're a Trekkie, I think you would like Elite Force more.

For the best experience, get both!
 Darth Oosha
05-31-2001, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Silent_Thunder:
<STRONG>I might get Unreal Tourney, but like I said before, I would prefer a game with out gore. In general, it seems like when you turn the gore off on a game such as Unreal, the only thing it gets rid of is blood. However, you'd still see players having their arms, legs, or heads, being blown off. I don't consider that turning off the gore.</STRONG>

When I played the demo of UT, it looked like the bots were just falling down and disappearing when they died. Anyway, there was occasional limb loss in JK too.

You'd best not ignore the Descent series, either. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it already.
 Silent_Thunder
05-31-2001, 11:26 PM
Well, I'm not much of a Star Trek fan.... not really one at all.

And no, I don't have Quack 3, so I really can't compare it with Elite Force.

I too am very sick of playing Jedi Knight on the zone, I'm tired of the graphics, bored with the controls, and am frusterated that it lags terribly with only 4 people in a game. I thought that since I'm srarting to dislike Jedi Knight, that it would carry over to Elite Force, but luckly, it looks like I'm wrong about that :). At this point in time, I'd like to leave Jedi Knight as a fond memory, like I did with Dark Forces, and go on to something new :).

I really haven't had all that many problems with tribes 2. I once joined a game with 64 people in it. Even with 20+ people on the screen at one time I didn't get any lag at all. I'm on a 56k modem. But then again.... when Tribes 2 isn't playing perfectly it's playing like a slide show. If you've ever played T2, you'd know what I mean ;).

I'm not sure if I'm reading into your post too much, but I get the impression that Mech Warrior 4 has a better net code, support for more players, and an over all better multiplayer game. Am I right in assuming that?

I don't have a Joy stick yet, so that's one down side for getting MW4.

In your opinion, which do you think I should get?
 Darth_Simpson
06-01-2001, 1:09 AM
When Tribes 2 isn't playing perfectly it's playing like a slide show. If you've ever played T2, you'd know what I mean.

:D

Yeah, Mechwarrior 4 is a better MP game. Elite Force is more of a single-player experience, although the MP isn't bad at all.
 Silent_Thunder
06-01-2001, 3:34 PM
OK, so if I don't want to touch the single player aspect of either game at all, then you'd recommend Mech Warrior 4?

The only problem I with Mech Warrior 4 is the lack of mouse and keyboard support. I don't recall ever having a Joystick on my computer :). Come to think of it though... it might help me pilot vehicles in Tribes 2 better aswell ;).

Yeah, I know Jedi Knight had limb loss, but that really wasn't really a bid deal. Generally the very gory games, even with all the gore off, sill have an atmosphere about them that I don't like.

I assume that you own Mech 4 Darth Simpson, so I was wondering which Joystick you'd recommend.
 Wilhuf
06-01-2001, 4:51 PM
Silent_Thunder I play MechWarrior 4 with mouse & keys only and it works great. You can do everything with the mouse and keys arrangement that you can do with the stick & keys.

No need to get a new stick for MechWarrior 4!

As far as finding a game that is similar to Jedi Knight goes, I'd say that UT or Elite Force are somewhat similar, but they have no 'spells.' Although with powerups, Elite Force can seem somewhat Jedi Knight like : eg the speed boots are similar to Force Speed, and the antigrav pack is similar to force jump, and medpacks are like force heal.

Mysteries of the Sith is the closest you'll find to Jedi Knight of course.

Another game similar to JK is Requiem:Avenging Angel (http://www.3do.com/requiem/). It was an FPS that featured spells, somewhat similar to Jedi Knight. I'm not sure the game sold a lot of copies.

And course there is Outlaws, an FPS by Steve Shaw, creator of Mysteries of the Sith.

If you want good sword fighting, like Jedi Knight, then you should try Rune (http://www.runegame.com). Great swordfighting, and the control scheme is almost identical to Jedi Knight.

Mechwarrior 4 is not at all like Jedi Knight. It's a robot simulator and it runs at a much slower pace than JK. MW4 is a good game in its own right though. It's very customizable, so there is a lot of 'replayability', IMO.

I would have to say that Elite Force and UT's netcode is currently 'better' than MechWarrior4's. MW4's netcode has been patched a few times, but there are still warping problems. I wouldn't let this be a deterrent though, since I Microsoft and the developers are still working to improve it.

For pure multiplayer deathmatch action, I'd go with Unreal Tournament, or Elite Force if you like Trek.

[ June 01, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]
 Darth_Lando
06-01-2001, 5:10 PM
Originally posted by Silent_Thunder:
<STRONG>Yes, I've checked out IGN PC for reviews for games, thats how I found Mech Warrior 4 and Elite Force :). </STRONG>

Check out www.pcgr.com) (http://www.pcgr.com) where people who own the game review it.
 andy_nighthawk
06-01-2001, 6:59 PM
Counter strike is the best multiplayer game around..STIL! a year later and i think that just shows how good it is. It has quite a steep learning curve, but once you get into it you'll become totally addicted!

Elite force is great multiplayer, particularly with the expansion pack which offers great new modes such as assimilation and disintegration (i've never seen anything that tests my reactions more)!
 Wilhuf
06-01-2001, 7:05 PM
Elite Force, patched to version 1.2 (without the expansion pack) also supports the new gameplay modes (assimilation, elimination, disintegration, specialties and 'action hero').
 Silent_Thunder
06-01-2001, 7:10 PM
Well, you see Wiluf, I want to find a game that is different then JK. I don't want a JK clone. Tribes 2 is the farthest from Jedi Knight as it can be--and that's great :). So maybe Rune isn't the game for me... but It might be, do you have any idea what it's about, or it's ESRB rating?

It's nice to know that Mech Warrior 4 is much different then JK. I actually use a Track Ball and keyboard when I play games... will that work OK with Mech 4?

One of the reasons I quit playing JK and MotS on the zone was it was starting to become too simplistic, I guess you could say I got to the 'Elite' status, and then I ended up using just a few different powers and weapons when I fought.... so it wasn't nearly as complex as it used to be. But then came Tribes 2, which was infinetly more complex then Jedi Knigh, due to the fact that it has team play. Yeah I know Jedi Knight has team games, but they're always just 2 vs. 2 which is kind of tiny. However, I've let all of my Jedi Knight skills diminish, so I guess I'm a Jedi Outcast now :).

Remeber though, I'll be buying these games for multiplayer only. So if you recommend a game, please make sure the multiplayer is very good :).

Right now I'm leaning towards Mech 4 again.... I think I'll be buying it today :).
I LOVE customizing in games, so Mech 4 seems right for me.

I'd probably just stick with Tribes 2 and not get another game if Tribes 2 would just work correctly. My game freezes after about 1-6 maps, and I have to restart my computer. There's also "redjacks" that I get constently If I play for more then an hour or so. And ofcourse the infamous 'slide show' :).

It's hard for me to decide over MEch Warrior 4, or Elite Force, I think I just might take Darth Simpson's suggestion and get both :).

Oh, and your SURE that the mouse/trackball and keyboard controling will work.... right :)?

Thank you all for the help :).
 Silent_Thunder
06-02-2001, 1:46 AM
I just bought Mech Warrior 4. I have yet to install it. Anyone know of any thing I should do to my PC before I install it?

thanks again for the help. Mech Warrior 4 looks great on the screen shots :).

The Uziel Mech is my favorite (for looks) anyone know how it runs :)? What's everyone else's fav mechs?

I'll probably have it loaded up in a half of an hour and will be playing it on the zone :cool:. I play under the name of noname2001 on the zone, and I'll be playing in-game as Silent Thunder :).

I guess this game is alot newer then I thought, it cost me 49.99 :(. But I guess it's better then waiting to get it from Ebay ;).
 Agent-Smith
06-03-2001, 1:21 PM
Hey, all I gotta say is that if you're tired of mindless shoot em up FPS, get Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear or Counter Strike. Both are awesome.
 Darth_Simpson
06-04-2001, 1:31 AM
Fave mech...

Probably the Madcat MKII. Gotta love it. :)
Page: 1 of 1