Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Bioware's RPG)

Page: 1 of 1
 Old Jedi Ben Kenobi
05-18-2001, 8:04 PM
Hey, people! Check this out!
It's from Gamespot.

"E3 2001: LucasArts Unveils BioWare RPG

We've got some early information on Knights of the Old Republic.

LucasArts showed off BioWare's upcoming Star Wars role-playing game behind closed doors for the first time today. Called Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, the game was first announced last fall, but has only been in full development for about six months at BioWare, developers of the highly acclaimed Baldur's Gate series of PC RPGs. In fact, the game is very similar to BioWare's Baldur's Gate games, but it uses a brand new 3D engine with a floating camera instead of a 2D tile-based engine with an isometric perspective.

The game takes place approximately 4,000 years before the Star Wars movies. However, space travel still exists, and the universe is still very technologically advanced. You'll traverse worlds like Tatooine that will look very familiar to you and yet contain enough subtle cues to remind you that these are ancient times. Keep checking back to GameSpot, as we'll have a detailed hands-on preview of this game later on today. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is scheduled for release in late 2002."

Sounds like it will be great.
These are indeed exciting times.
 Pedro The Hutt
05-18-2001, 9:52 PM
Sounds neat but...
Tatooine? Again? HOW COME EVERY MAJOR SW HERO PASSES A BLOODY BARELY INHABITED DESERT PLANET [this has been an angry message by Pedro The Hutt messenging service http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/cool.gif]) http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif)

------------------
No!
I am your father.
 Tie Guy
05-19-2001, 1:45 AM
Get over it. Visiting the smae places past and present help tie things together.

------------------
We will crush the Rebellion in one swift stroke.

[This message has been edited by Tie Guy (edited May 18, 2001).]
 StormHammer
05-19-2001, 5:59 PM
I'm with you, Pedro. The first time I saw Tatooine, it was cool (well, hot actually http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif) ). And then they went back in ROTJ. And then they went back in TPM. Undoubtedly they will go back in Episode II, and Episode III. And...aaaaaaaggggghhhh!

To quote Luke... "If there's a bright centre of the universe, you're on the planet it's farthest from."

Well, if it's so out of the way, how does everyone keep turning up there? The place is starting to sound like the Bermuda Triangle.
 Pedro The Hutt
05-19-2001, 7:28 PM
ROTFLOL! THE TATTOINE TRIANGLE! http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif)

------------------
No!
I am your father.
 BeastMaster
05-19-2001, 10:37 PM
BEN KENOBI: Mos Eisley Spaceport. You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
ME: *MST3King* You've never been to Nar Shaddaa, have ya buddy?

------------------
"The Beasts know much that we do not." -Ancient Jedi proverb
 oninosensi
05-20-2001, 4:05 AM
Tatooine must be a stop over on the way to the core worlds.

------------------
Master of Demons, Defender of Underworlds

The place Mom warned you about: http://www.geocities.com/oninosensi/Newdays.html)
 Jedimaster Tanskanen
05-20-2001, 1:20 PM
NOOO!!!! Not Tatoiine!!
I hate that ****ing...
 paulbarnard
05-20-2001, 3:47 PM
I agree. I'm so sick of revisiting worlds because no one has any originality and is afraid that George will say no, this is what this world really looks like.

Dark Forces made a Coruscant level, that image was shattered by EP 1, still they made the never been seen world before. (ok, TIE Fighter has a clip of the Imperial Palace too).
 Garindan
05-20-2001, 4:40 PM
Hey, we see coruscant in Return of the Jedi Special Edition. and btw, coruscant has lovely..rr i mean Shadows of the Empire you got to swim in prince xizor, darth vader, and emperor palpatines umm nevermind.
 Kurgan
05-20-2001, 6:58 PM
Of course ROTJ SE came out in 1997, Dark Forces came out in 1995.

Kurgan
 StormHammer
05-20-2001, 11:37 PM
Anyway, as no one seems to be frequenting the KOTOR forum, where I started another thread...I'll post the link to another preview here...
http://www.gamespy.com/e3/republic/)

Feast your eyeballs on what they say in that one. It sounds like it's going to be Epic in scale.

Here's a little rip to lube your brains...

The media seemed to be really impressed with a great lightsaber battle that was witnessed between two NPCs. The fluidity, animation and effects (even down to the blurring effects of the lightsaber) of the melee encounter smacked of Star Wars goodness, and the final encounter with a Sith character arriving via landing craft during an ominous realtime cutscene ended the demo on a high note.

I suggest you read the rest of the article, because it gets better... http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/eek.gif)

I am now eagerly awaiting some more info and screenshots on this title. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/wink.gif)

It gets away from top-down views, and looks like it's going to be an over-the shoulder 3rd person RPG with a lot of depth.
 Garindan
05-21-2001, 2:28 AM
Will THIS game be able to be played without internet?
 StormHammer
05-21-2001, 3:47 AM
Yes, Garindan. Knights Of The Old Republic is NOT an MMORPG, ie, Online-only game. It is a single player RPG set 4000 years before the new Republic, in the time of the old Jedi Knights. If you've read any of the Tales Of The Jedi graphic novels, it's around that period.

It is being made by Bioware, who brought us the Baldur's Gate series of RPGs (which I haven't played).

However, KOTOR is totally different from their previous games because it uses a new 3D engine, and offers an over-the-shoulder 3rd person viewpoint, according to the preview.

I have long been waiting for an RPG with this viewpoint that has such an epic scope, and they seem to be saying the story is going to be deep and well-structured.

Here's another little rip from the article in case you haven't read it...

Casey talked about the three different races and six different character classes (eg. scoundrel, bounty hunter, and jedi)

They only mention 3 there, but you'll have a choice from 6, and be able to explore 8 different worlds (including Tatooine, unfortunately). And here's another juicy rip from the article...

The character models blinked, had fingers that moved independently, and hair and clothing was disturbed by movement or the wind.

Now that sounds pretty good to me. I can't wait to see some eye candy for this game now...

[This message has been edited by StormHammer (edited May 21, 2001).]
 Kurgan
05-21-2001, 11:23 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't "Tales of the Jedi" only take place 1,000 years (not 4,000 years) before ANH?

It's been awhile...

Kurgan
 Garindan
05-22-2001, 12:21 AM
*checks a markby knights of the old republic on his 'to-buy' list'

ok good. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif)
 BeastMaster
05-22-2001, 1:47 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan:
<STRONG>Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't "Tales of the Jedi" only take place 1,000 years (not 4,000 years) before ANH?
</STRONG>

*runs upstairs to comic collection*

TotJ's Golden Age of the Sith was set 5000 years before ANH. Fall of the Sith Empire happened 4990 years before.

4000 years before ANH was Ulic Qel-Droma & the Beast Wars of Onderon.

One year later (3999 BSW) saw The Saga of Nomi Sunrider, and 3998 BSW was The Freedon Nadd Uprising. In 3997, Dark Lords of the Sith took place, and The Sith War happened in 3996.

3986 was when Redemption happened.

You must be thinking of the currently running miniseries Jedi vs Sith, which is set 1000 years before TPM. This is where Darth Bane gives his "only two" rule. :cool:
 Delita
05-22-2001, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer:
<STRONG>
Who brought us the Baldur's Gate series of RPGs (which I haven't played).

</STRONG>

No, BG? You sad, sad little man...

As far as RPGs go Bioware games are perfection. Of course, you would have to be a fan of RPGs and not just Star Wars to enjoy BG.

The viewpoint in KotOR is the same as in Neverwinter Nights so by the time KotOR is released they should have all the kinks worked out of it.
 StormHammer
05-23-2001, 12:37 AM
4000 years before ANH was Ulic Qel-Droma & the Beast Wars of Onderon.

One year later (3999 BSW) saw The Saga of Nomi Sunrider, and 3998 BSW was The Freedon Nadd Uprising. In 3997, Dark Lords of the Sith took place, and The Sith War happened in 3996.

I would take a wild guess and say you get directly involved in these events during the game. Interesting, because The Beast Wars + Freedon Nadd Uprising was the first Graphic novel I read in that series.

Delita: minor correction, I'm a big man...as in rotund. ;)

The RPGs I've played may not all be as sophisticated as today's titles, but for their time some were innovative...

Just to give you a flavour...

1. Eye of the Beholder series (3rd one was very poor)
2. Ultima Underworld II
3. Lands of Lore I & II
4. Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall

Then they all went Iso3D/Bird's Eye view, and I couldn't stand it. That is why I have never played BG or it's sequels, because I hate the viewpoint, and I feel totally apart from the story.

I have to be down in the action, preferably first person, though I can live with over-the-shoulder third person view. Seeing too much of the environment totally spoils a game for me...I like not knowing what's around the next corner...and having things jump out at me. I like the close-up interactivity with the environment, and looking at an environment through my characters eyes.

Iso3D and birds-eye views just totally kill my enjoyment, so I've never bothered playing any of them.

I have hope for KotOR - I just hope you get to adjust the camera to go right over your character's shoulder, and that you can play the whole game that way.
 Kylilin
05-23-2001, 1:42 AM
So is there any speculation on who the bad guys will be in this game? I read the name Ulic Qel-Droma in this thread,does that mean we may see him, as well as the infamous Exar Kun? Anyone else have an opinion?

[ May 22, 2001: Message edited by: Kylilin ]
Page: 1 of 1