Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Experiences on using GMAX/ GMAX-TEMPEST

Page: 1 of 1
 Ki_Amaru
04-27-2002, 4:51 AM
So far Gmax tempest is working fine for me, got the hang of making levels easily, plus it's good for someone like me who use 3d studio max.

Now my first snag is this...I've imported a md3 speeder bike and have placed it in the level....exported it all as a quake III .map file....fine and dandy.

JK2 radiant can load and view this map file no problems...I can cruise around it and everything. Architecture is fine.

BUT....it's as though the md3 speeder bike wasn't even there....vanished.

Any thoughts on this ....or indeed how on EARTH do I import an md3 (or 3ds even) into JK2 radiant for use in a level.

?
 FEXX
04-27-2002, 5:07 AM
I have not yet included models in my test map. However I will soon and let you know if I can help.

Say, I have used 3DS MAX for many years, maybe Gmax tempest can help me create and design maps faster than Radiant's interface; that is the basic shapes of things. Entities would have to be done in JK2Radiant I'd assume.

Where did you get your copy of Gmax tempest?
What was your process from Gmax tempest map design to exporting it to a successful .map?
 Ki_Amaru
04-27-2002, 5:23 AM
I created the bulk of the level in 3d studio max and then used gmax tempest purely as a stepping stone to save it as a .map file

Mind you I am going to do all my texture work in JK2 radiant (due to Gmax looking for Quake 3 files)

Someone/anyone with JK2 radiant...is it normal when you import a model using _misc_model, for it to appear in the camera window as a red box (instead of a speeder bike)
 pF.VoOdoO
04-27-2002, 5:33 AM
Been a long time since I did any mapping, (just downloaded the JK tools, it's all coming back ......... slowly :) ) but iirc from my qeradiant days, yes, models would show up by default as a red entity box. Under the view menu/show there was something to tick off to display models as the actual model rather than the box, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was. Not much help I know, but mebbe you can figure it out from there .......
 FEXX
04-27-2002, 7:59 AM
Have gmax up and running. Will do a few tests to see how exporting works. Also not sure of all its plugins, but it is a huge time saver for a map's foundation (if you know 3ds max) among other uses.

As for removing unseen faces from primitives vs. faces and patches, I am not sure yet on a map's stability in gameplay or say JK2Radiant.
 Hubris
04-27-2002, 9:04 AM
This isn't first hand info, I've heard this so take it for what it's worth.

Tempest doesn't port models well to JKradiant, so just do up your level, then go back into Radiant and when inserting your textures then drop your models in and play with them.
 FEXX
04-27-2002, 10:34 AM
I'll remember that thanks.

I was wondering if in gmax you apply the 'Turn into Brush' modifier for each 3D object. You delete faces which are not visible when in the game?
 Skellington
04-27-2002, 4:01 PM
If you're building in Max, can I ask what version? And what does Tempest like to import levels as, 3ds? This would be unbeliveably cool if I could just build in Max instead of the JKORad editor...it's a huge pain in the ass because I keep reaching for my Max shortcut keys anyways :)
 FEXX
04-27-2002, 5:28 PM
gmax after I installed the free 1.1 off the discreet website has an interface very similar to 3ds max 4. So you if know max 3 or 4 you can start to model quickly.

The Tempest plugin seems to give you a few Modifiers to tell the 3D models they should act like brushes. Then you use File > Export to the .map format and open it up in JK2Radiant. Tempest does not seem to importing stuff really (from what I know so far); and thinks in Quake3 terms for mapping, but the .map part works good. So one could do all their map modeling in gmax and then export the .map and add textures, misc_models, NPCs, entities, etc. using JK2Radiant (but I cannot get any misc_models to appear yet in my maps). So knowing JK2Radiant is still important.

I not sure yet, but it seems when modeling with gmax, you should turn your 3D models into Edit Mesh so you can delete faces that are not going to be seen by the player. So far it is a great way to make a map (for 3ds max gurus).
 Ki_Amaru
04-27-2002, 7:08 PM
In response to the import/exporting abilities

gmax tempest can import the following file types .map, .3ds, .md3

and can export .map, .gmax (purely for its own purposes), .MD3 and 3ds.

for those who dont understand what gmax/ gmax tempest is:

GMAX 1.1 =21MB 3d map editing program with similar interface to 3d studio max.

GMAX TEMPEST= 540k The plugin FOR Gmax, allows you to save productions in quake 3 format (handles entities as well , but only Q3 ones)

I build in 3d studio max 4

I'm still trying to make the model thing work, will try your ide (either that or download the gmax tutorial file....15 megs worth....doh!)
 FEXX
04-27-2002, 7:28 PM
Thanks for your clarification on gmax and Tempest. Been using both. But the tempest plugin did not work for me in 3ds max 4, so I thought I had to use gmax 1.1. Maybe not.

In either case I don't think that the gmax tutorials will help much in your problem for 15mbs, if are you not on a high-speed node. I've looked at them and they are not really aimed at JK2 (yet).

But I did find this on my extra face question:
http://fps.brainerd.net/miteredbrush.htm)

It seems for us, or any map maker, you want to delete any unseen faces or use the 'system' texture 'caulk' to disable the display of map faces which are blocked or overlap.

This also speeds up the map FPS and its respond time.
 FEXX
04-27-2002, 11:59 PM
Ki_Amaru:
If I create 3D primitives and such in gmax for a JK2 map, then export the data with Tempest as .map, I cannot seem to SHIFT+CTRL left click any single faces of the brushes. I apply the Modifier 'Turn to Brush' to each 3D primitive or else they do not seem to export right to the .map.

I cannot assign textures to a single face, but if I make a brush in JK2Radiant I can select single faces of that brush.

How do you get your brushes from gmax to allow you to single face select in JK2Radiant?
 Ki_Amaru
04-28-2002, 2:54 AM
I'm still a newbie at GMAX so bear with me.

I havebeen adding my custom textures in GMAX. (seems to work but as yet can't confirm)

Click on the desired object. Then Using the material editor (M by default) I click NEW (or GET if the object was already mapped in 3d studio max, in which case it automatically finds and attaches it)
....thats how I'm getting my textures across to gmax....whether or not it's actually going INTO the .map and (therefore JK2 radiant) I am unsure.

(I have yet to compile and test)

hope this helps...everything is still experimental with this I'm afraid.
 FEXX
04-28-2002, 3:45 AM
Well the textures in gmax 1.1 I read work for Quake3, but not JK2.

I have tried this, both directions; gmax --> JK2Radiant and JK2Radiant --> gmax and the materials are lost.

I am not able to SHIFT+CTRL left click a single face on a 3D object (brush) from imported .map files that gmax tempest exports. I have no idea why I cannot face select brush faces from imported .map files. Maybe the gmax tempest plugin has a bug or is not written for JK2.
 Ki_Amaru
04-28-2002, 6:28 PM
FEXX

Am trialing using "Nphernos compiler" with regards to the texture problems with the gmax .md3 files. I'll let you know if I'm successful.

But yeah you're right, gmax doesnt SEEM to be retaining any mapping at all.

and just to clarify something: In Jk2 radiant when you misc_model can you actually SEE it in the camera window or does it just appear as a red box.

(I've seen screenies of Q3 radiant where the box is translucent and you can see the model. If so how?)

Right now my project requires me to import a .md3 (with its texture) and have it solid (so it can be jumped on......you know the desert skiff in ROTJ? what do you fancy my chances as?)
 Ki_Amaru
04-29-2002, 4:07 AM
Nope. No good.

I need a decent 3ds to md3 converter that KEEPS the skins. Tried milkshape but it crashes too much (I heard in their forums that they are making a JK2 plugin for next release)

Nphernos might work but I haven't a clue how to use the thing.

The only decent thing is "Quick3d" but the shareware doesnt allow saving and it's 189 bucks.

Damn.
 FEXX
04-29-2002, 4:42 AM
Aah. Well I have not really worked on .md3 files yet, but to import with the misc_model entity. And for me, I can see the model I import, just as in-game w/ textures and all, after I fix the path; so no red box. The default misc_model path is wrong, for both importing it and for game play (for me at least).

I have used gmax for map design only so far. That is why i stopped. I did not want to make a great map faster in gmax than JK2Radiant and then learn I cannot texture a single face of a brush; that is not good - the map will not be texturable then.

As I get into .md3 I can help ya more likely.
Page: 1 of 1