Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Someone Please Help Me This Time!!! I Cant Bsp Mah Map!!

Page: 1 of 1
 MuRaSaMuNe
04-25-2002, 11:15 PM
Im going to go nuts here, I gotta do my homework but I gotta play my map, how in hell do you use the freakn bsp? It loads up sof2map thingy and it just has all these illegual operation error and doesn't work. Can someone PLEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HELP MEEE!!! :( :( :( :(
 ReverseLogic
04-25-2002, 11:44 PM
I get this same error. what version of windows are you using? I'm using ME. Anyone else have this problem?
 mapmaker
04-25-2002, 11:48 PM
When you compile your map, where is the .map file located? In your 'base' folder, under maps? That is where it should be.
If it isn't in there, find it and copy it to the maps folder, then the bsp program should work. It will create a .bsp file alongside the .map file in the maps folder.
 Jecan
04-25-2002, 11:52 PM
What tool compiles the map?
 ReverseLogic
04-26-2002, 12:44 AM
thanks mapmaker.

Jecan: you go to the BSP menu, and select the style you want. the actual program is something like SOF*.exe, where the * is the set of chars I don't remember.
 MuRaSaMuNe
04-26-2002, 12:46 AM
Ok, here's the thing, I have it saved in the base/map folder (the .map file) but, when I try to run the FulVis er whatever bsp thing it still gets those errors.. whats with this? btw Im not on ME Im on 98
 MuRaSaMuNe
04-26-2002, 12:57 AM
What the.. all it did was make another folder in my maps one called snapshots and made a file there but it aint no bsp :(
 Guardian Omega
04-26-2002, 1:05 AM
The maps folder is the one in the GameData dir.......
 MuRaSaMuNe
04-26-2002, 1:08 AM
In the GameData drive? Mine is in the base drive... I just tried putting the map folder in the GameData dir but it didn't work
 Guardian Omega
04-26-2002, 1:18 AM
ER THE BASE........ and remember to make a seperate folder for it in it!
 ReverseLogic
04-26-2002, 1:38 AM
all right. I'm starting to get a little pissed. I'm getting a GPF in Kernel32.Dll. the output Error I'm getting is the following:

SetQdirFromPath: no'base' in |e (happy face)

I have a feeling that mean I've got the path set up wrong, but I have no idea what the **** |e(happyface) means. BTW that e should have a ^ over it. thanks you.
 parasiticz
04-26-2002, 2:17 AM
I'm having the same problem making the .bsp file. I'm sure I'm making an idiotic mistake, but I can't figure it out at all. I already fixed the path problems (and got my entities list), made the start points, lights, etc... all that's left is getting it to bsp so I can test it in the game. I'm running Windows XP Professional on an Athlon 1.4 w/ 512 MB ram and a MSI G4MX440 (geforce4 mx 440) :mad:
 ReverseLogic
04-26-2002, 2:25 AM
they've actually said that it won't compile in XP

someone said they got it to work when in full win 2k support mode or something like that though.
 unicronTHC
04-26-2002, 3:57 AM
Make sure you're saving your maps in /base/maps

That will fix it.

It didn't create a .bsp file for me either(at least I didn't see it)I just loaded MP JK2, pulled down the console, did /devmap filename(no extension needed) and it loaded fine. I did all the default installation settings, if that helps.
 UniKorn
04-26-2002, 4:13 AM
Create a batfile that contains this (providing you installed the game on your c-drive) :

C:\PROGRA~1\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\GameData\Tools\\sof2 map -bsp -samplesize 32 C:\PROGRA~1\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\GameData\\base/maps/duel_wls2.map
C:\PROGRA~1\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\GameData\Tools\\sof2 map -vis -fast C:\PROGRA~1\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\GameData\\base/maps/duel_wls2.map
C:\PROGRA~1\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\GameData\Tools\\sof2 map -light -extra -samplesize 32 C:\PROGRA~1\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\GameData\\base/maps/duel_wls2.map

As you can see, the map must be in gamedata\base\maps

Try if this works.
 Dross
04-26-2002, 5:38 AM
Tried Win2k compat mode on editor and sof2map. Tried bat file. Maps are base/maps. None of this works in Windows XP
 brigand1138
04-26-2002, 6:01 AM
Who said it won't work on XP?? I'm using Windows XP Pro, a 1Ghz Athlon, 384MB RAM and a Geforce4 MX440 - can compile my maps fine so far (albeit very simple ones, but still)

Hmmm....strange, am I just a lucky bugger??

Mal Brigand
 sithmaster goz
04-26-2002, 6:20 AM
just wanna say thanx for helping w/ the .map problem....

also, i wanna say that i was having a problem opening jk2radiant and i was getting errors...

but i deleted the files in my documents and it loaded right up.

it seems like jk2radiant doesnt like you saving ANY file out of the directory :mad:

"May the Sith be with you" :fett:

Sithmaster Goz
 D.L.
04-26-2002, 6:37 AM
Originally posted by ReverseLogic
they've actually said that it won't compile in XP

someone said they got it to work when in full win 2k support mode or something like that though.

Is this true?
 ReverseLogic
04-26-2002, 4:26 PM
I believe I saw an article by someone from raven about that it won't work in XP. I think I saw it at www.jediknightii.net)
 coach24
04-26-2002, 4:34 PM
Figured this out the hard way:

sof2map is a dos-based program. You can't use file names with spaces or file names longer than 8 chars when you save your .map file. Mine was "First Room.map," but that wouldn't compile. I just saved it as First_rm.map and it works fine.
 MuRaSaMuNe
04-26-2002, 5:18 PM
Thanx all for helping, I really appreciate it I'll see if your ideas will work and if I do get it to work, how do I make it into a pk3? Do I just add the .bsp, the snapshot and the .map files into winzip and rename it to .pk3?
 MuRaSaMuNe
04-26-2002, 5:31 PM
Nope, still getting these annoying Illegual operation crap :(
Okay;
I have my Tools folder with jk2radiant in my gamedata folder
I have the maps folder in the base dir
I saved my file as test

I don't think I did anything to mess it up
Hmm.. it seems to load something called qe3bsp2 in my windows temp folder is this wrong? It might be because I had to manually extract the files with winzip when I got it

Okay, this is the 3rd time I edited this message, one more thing though, in the thing at the bottom of jk2radiant it says

Running bsp command...

C:\PROGRA~1\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\GAMEDATA\TOOLS\\sof2 map -bsp C:\PROGRA~1\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\GAMEDATA\\base/maps/test.map

C:\PROGRA~1\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\GAMEDATA\TOOLS\\sof2 map -vis C:\PROGRA~1\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\GAMEDATA\\base/maps/test.map

C:\PROGRA~1\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\GAMEDATA\TOOLS\\sof2 map -light C:\PROGRA~1\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\GAMEDATA\\base/maps/test.map

completed.
Run time was 0 hours, 0 minutes and 6 seconds

Is there anything that might point out why Im having this error in there?
 Gabrobot
04-26-2002, 7:35 PM
Try renaming your file something other then test. For whatever reason when I tried to compile a small test level that I named test.map, it wouldn't compile. then I renamed it and it worked without a glitch. heh.:rolleyes:
 CX_OmegaRed
04-26-2002, 10:37 PM
I had this problem running on xp...

Going into the project settings and removing any //'s seems to have done the trick...

hope this helps.

CX_OmegaRed
http://chronx.ravenclans.com)
 yrean
04-26-2002, 11:34 PM
it works fine on XP....make sure you got all the directories etc set up fine.
 MuRaSaMuNe
04-27-2002, 1:05 AM
Err... nothing seems to be working,
I tried renaming
taking the // stuff out
bah whats with this? Anyone who has it working can you please tell me what it says when you load up the bsp thing, right click the tab at the bottom of the screen and click on properties and tell me under the heading cmdline what it says, mine says c:\windows\TEMP\qe3bsp2.bat but I think it's wrong...
 DigitalVapor
04-27-2002, 1:27 AM
I am running XP pro and I figured out the map directory fix easily, but I am experiencing some inconsistancies in the compiling process. If have noticed that after recompiling a map several times under the same name, it just stops working. so after several revisions (usualy 4-5 re-compiles) I have to save the map under adifferent name. (example: test.map, test2.map, test3.map) It seems as though a bsp can only be overwriten so many times before it "write-protects" itself from further changes.

RAVEN! PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS!
 Dross
04-27-2002, 2:48 AM
The problem is spaces in folder names. See JK2Radiant makes the q3ebsp.bat, and trying to run it, it doesn't like the star wars jk ii outcast. This is a peice of crap name for a folder anyway. Rename it to SWJK2. Or reinstall into there. I ran this batfile:

C:\PROGRA~1\LucasArts\SWJK2\GameData\Tools\\sof2ma p -bsp C:\PROGRA~1\LucasArts\SWJK2\GameData\\base/maps/bla.map C:\PROGRA~1\LucasArts\SWJK2\GameData\Tools\\sof2ma p -vis C:\PROGRA~1\LucasArts\SWJK2\GameData\\base/maps/bla.map C:\PROGRA~1\LucasArts\SWJK2\GameData\Tools\\sof2ma p -light C:\PROGRA~1\LucasArts\SWJK2\GameData\\base/maps/bla.map

And it worked!
 Dross
04-27-2002, 2:52 AM
Anyone having trouble with compiling?

Figured it out!

The problem is spaces in folder names. See JK2Radiant makes the q3ebsp.bat, and trying to run it, it or Windows XP doesn't like the star wars jk ii outcast folder name. This is a peice of crap name for a folder anyway. Rename it to SWJK2. Or reinstall into there. I ran this batfile:

C:\PROGRA~1\LucasArts\SWJK2\GameData\Tools\\sof2ma
p -bsp C:\PROGRA~1\LucasArts\SWJK2\GameData\\base/maps/bla.map C:\PROGRA~1\LucasArts\SWJK2\GameData\Tools\\sof2ma
p -vis C:\PROGRA~1\LucasArts\SWJK2\GameData\\base/maps/bla.map C:\PROGRA~1\LucasArts\SWJK2\GameData\Tools\\sof2ma
p -light C:\PROGRA~1\LucasArts\SWJK2\GameData\\base/maps/bla.map

And it worked!

You need to make sure your installation matches mine. To make this batch file, make a new txt document, put this in and edit, save, then rename .bat

Later,

D
 ReverseLogic
04-27-2002, 4:23 AM
Can someone please enlighten me as to what in the hell that \\Base is in there for, and what it mean? It makes no sense to have that in there to me, but I know it must be in there for a purpose. maybe this is why it won't work
 FEXX
04-27-2002, 4:35 AM
For example, e:\jk2\gameData\\base is odd I agree, but for some reason this \\ is critical and must be present.

I have a gut feeling that the \\ behaves similar to the .. (two periods) in a Command Prompt to navigate between directories.
 parasiticz
04-27-2002, 5:06 AM
Ok, got it to bsp. :p

First, I grabbed my snapshots directory and all my test files out of gamedata\tools and threw em somewhere safe. (Yes, I was moving my map to gamedata\base\maps before trying to bsp... it still wasn't working. I just dont like saving there directly beacuse i save as test1, test2, test3 etc everytime i make a major change and its a mess)

Uninstalled the whole mess, game and all (I like a clean slate)

Reinstalled in to "c:\program files\lucasarts\swjk2" instead of the default directory with all those spaces in it, and reinstalled the GDK.

Then I dropped the stuff I was working on back in, moved the file I wanted to test to gamedata\base\maps, and viola! I guess it IS just picky about directory and file names on XP, I never would have figured that as the problem. What a pain in the...

Much thanks Dross, and all who helped.
-Dave
Page: 1 of 1