Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Darth Maul's demise was cheesy! Agreed?

Page: 1 of 1
 quite-gone gin
04-27-2000, 5:33 PM
(I'm brand new to the board so forgive me if this topic already took place!)

Come on, Darth Maul was bad to the bone, taking on two Jedi at once with a saber too dangerous for most beings to handle, and finishing off Qui-Gonn (how also fell for a cheesy move!) with the equivalent of a head-butt! All those Jedi reflexes and force moves! Then, in a moment of gloating, he loses all his prowess and falls for Obi-wan's force jump over his head (while force pulling Qui-Gonn's saber). What, did he forget about Qui-Gonn's saber? He didn't notice Obi-wan was about to try something? His saber was in hand, all he had to do was hold it out and Obi-wan would have jumped into it! No, all Darth Maul does is get a dumb look on his face and the only only Jedi reflex he has is to turn around just in time to feel his inards seared!!! I don't buy it. That was so cheesy I looked around for some wine to go with it! They might as well just had Darth Maul accidentally trip over Qui-gonn's body and impale himself on his own saber!

How about this: Obi does a backward motion, back-flipping force jump to the other side of of the pit, of course landing at the same time Qui-gonn's saber reaches his hand, and the sword-play continues. THEN Darth Maul's final moment is seen, dying in the heat of battle, in a blaze of glory wielding his saber against one ticked-off Jedi, not falling for a simple move with a dumb puppy-dog look on his face.

Or, Obi, after landing, force pushes Maul (who happened to be in front of that energy field) into the energy field, which would ruin anyone's concentration, then Obi force leaps across the pit to deliver his final blow.

BTW, Maul falling down the pit was cool - his day was falling apart (hehe), he probably felt like he was being pulled in two different directions at once(hehehe); I guess he had to split! (hehehehe)
 Hannibal
04-27-2000, 7:20 PM
Nobody told him to stand up there making faces at Obi-Won. He deserved the death he got. He could have easily finished OBi-Won from right there but he didn't, he gloated.

Cheese, good! And now, toast.

[This message has been edited by Hannibal (edited April 27, 2000).]
 Obiwon15
04-27-2000, 7:47 PM
I agree with you on this subject Obiwon should have backfliped out of the whole , and then the action could have started again , I think that Darth maul should have finished him off instead of force pushing him in the first place.

"I am a jedi like my father before me"
 Hannibal
04-27-2000, 8:09 PM
 quite-gone gin
04-27-2000, 10:19 PM
Hannibal - I agree that Maul got his deserts, you don't gloat, you finish the job BUT I think Lucas and Co. could have done a better job at it and given us a better dessert! I know they'd say "He was gloating and must have lost his concetration" or whatever, but theatrically and artistically speaking, it was a powerful and pivotal point of the movie and could have been done stronger.
 Hannibal
04-27-2000, 10:31 PM
Ahhh, True, the movie was lacking. Anyone wish to join a class action lawsuit removing ownership of the films from G Lucas and giving them to someone better suited to write the films. Like Kathy Lee Gifford.

------------------
Potential Man-eating vice-president of the Un-Council
 darth_maul_87
04-29-2000, 12:55 AM
Darth Maul was pretty awesome, but the ending was pretty lame. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/mad.gif)

------------------
Fear...
Fear attracts the fearful...
The strong...
The weak...
Fear...
Fear is my ally.

[img]http://www.starwars.com/characters/darth_maul/2bg.html[img])
 Kurgan
05-01-2000, 2:44 AM
Did I hear an echo in here? Don't worry, it happens to the best of us! ; )

I thought it was a good enough ending.

Maul didn't have much character, he was basically a trained attack dog. A good fighter, but that's about it, otherwise just a scary face in the film.

Kurgan
 Walwi Makno
05-05-2000, 12:01 PM
The reason that Maul fell for such an easy move is that Maul underestimated Obi-Wan's abilities. Due to his hatred, Maul wanted Obi-wan to die a slow death. He could've used the force to lower is light saber and slice Obi-wan. But don't forget, Jedis can mask their thoughts from other jedi, that's why Maul did not know that Obi-Wan was going to jump up and slice him with Qui-Gon's lightsaber.

------------------
WHO NEEDS A SIGNATURE!
 lightbulba
05-05-2000, 7:19 PM
i bet maul wouldn't have made a good mathematician. ha, ha.

------------------
http://www.starwars.com/snapshot/1999/20/img/merchant_sm.jpg)
 Xyst
05-06-2000, 1:28 AM
and on ROTJ i think vader fell down on purpose when luke was fighting him.

------------------
"The Dark Side.Hard to see it is"
Page: 1 of 1