Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

BFP2X (get it now!):

Page: 1 of 1
 Kurgan
07-08-2000, 1:19 AM
Check it out, I just posted it.

This is the definitive BFP collection thus far. BFP2, BFP2.1, all in one, compact, organized, easy-to-use Gob file!

http://www.jediknight.net/jkmag/bfp2x/)

Kurgan

"BFP2X: The BFP2 to End all BFP2's!"
 Jedi Kenobi
07-08-2000, 9:11 AM
Cool, but I doubt many people will get it, because most people already have the non-gobbed Bfp2 and 2.1
 Kurgan
07-08-2000, 8:41 PM
Well don't knock it till you try it.

I figure people like me prefer Gobs to hundreds of loose files. But nobody has to get it if they don't want to. I just think it's nice.

-Just one file to deal with

-Some errors fixed (some sound files weren't working before, and a texture or two was out of place)

-Skins in alphabetical order, much easier to navigate and find the one you want to use

-Works perfectly with patch commander (and of course, on the Zone)

Kurgan

[This message has been edited by Kurgan (edited July 08, 2000).]
 Vagabond
07-08-2000, 9:41 PM
I'd prefer the one file GOO method, as opposed to the BFP 2.1 implementation. As I said on the Obi-Wan site, BFP 2.1 screwed up my MotS - I had to uninstall and reinstall MotS all over to get things back to normal. If this BFP X works like BFP 2.0, then I'll probably give it a try. If it's like BFP 2.1, then I don't need extra skins that bad.

------------------
VagabondNomad on the Zone...

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players...
 Kurgan
07-08-2000, 11:16 PM
Sorry Vagabond, but BFP2X is just for JK right now. If I get time I'll convert it over to MOTS. That would probably only take about an extra hour of my time, but I spent forever trying to figure out why GobBFP2 was messed up.

It turns out some of the BM's were corrupted. This made GobBFP2 unstable.

The first versions of GobBFP2 I uploaded were fine, but then I was trying to edit them and uploaded a bad version and didn't found out later when I got deluged with emails saying it didn't work. So I released BFP2X.

It works now and it's better than it was before (many more skins). But it's only for JK.

The only problem I run into with the MOTS one is the classes system.

See, in the goo/gob you include a models.dat file, which shows which skins can be used for what class. I, like many others, edit my models dat so I can use certain skins with any class, not just the one LEC assigns me.

For example I am a Veamon, whether I'm a Scout, Soldier, Jedi, etc.

With the new skins, you have to assign them to classes. I could however, rather than just picking and choosing, simply assign ALL the skins to every class. That would just mean you pick your class, and then pick any of the 168 skins for it.

All that means is that the models.dat file would be about four times bigger (but it's just a text file).

The only other option would be to assign the skins to what classes I thought made the most sense (ie: Leia as a scout, Ben Kenobi and Maul as Jedi, Chewbacca as a soldier, etc) and then people could still get around it by making their own models dat (extracting it from the goo of course) and modifying it themselves how they wanted and slapping it in their Resource\misc folder.

That way they just pick a character and start up. If they tried to modify it in game, it would just go to the one on the goo.

I think the first option sounds best (ie: letting anyone pick any skin for any class in BFP2X for MOTS). What do you guys think?

Kurgan

[This message has been edited by Kurgan (edited July 08, 2000).]
 Kurgan
07-08-2000, 11:18 PM
Oh, and Vagabond, to answer your question:

BFP2X works just like GobBFP2 did.

GooBFP2 for MOTS is similar to the way in which BFP2X for MOTS will work.

The ungobbed/ungooed versions were a total mess, and I seek to avoid that with these releases.

Kurgan
 Jedi Kenobi
07-09-2000, 12:51 AM
I'll download it if there are other people willing to play it with me. I'm not gonna download a 9MB file without a reason. I agree the old BFP2 was a mess. For some reason it screwed up my game and when I deleted it it works fine now.
 Kurgan
07-09-2000, 2:34 AM
Well 9mb is the same size as if you downloaded BFP2 and then BFP2.1.

You can use getright if you have trouble getting big files. In my opinion it's much better. After this, you can just delete the old ones, as they are no longer needed.

***Update*** It may take a longer time than I expected to create a MotS version of BFP2X.

The reason I see is that BFP2.1 for MotS actually adds some new snd and wav files not found in the JK version. Thus I will have to incorporate this new stuff, and (eventually) update the JK version I uploaded as well.

This is fine, as I intended to eventually update it later on (those saber tips need to be rounded, for example, right now most of them are squared off at the end).

But, after this weekend I'm going to be very busy with classes for some time, so who knows when it will get released.

For the present, at least now people can with JK or MotS can now play BFP2 using patch commander. But the JK users will just have access to more skins.

This was a pet project of mine along time ago, and I just now starting working it again, because I felt bad about GobBFP2's not working.

MotS BFP2X will probably be the last big skinpack released by the time ObiWan comes out, at this rate. ; P

Kurgan

[This message has been edited by Kurgan (edited July 09, 2000).]
 BeastMaster
07-11-2000, 4:43 PM
I've an idea: why not release one BFP2for MotS with classes, then release the models.dat in a separate zip file so that people can substitute it themselves.

------------------
"The Beasts know much that we do not." -Ancient Jedi proverb
 Kurgan
07-11-2000, 11:49 PM
Actually, now that I have examined the BFP2.1 models.dat file, I see that whoever set it up actually made it so every skin could be selected with every class (all 168 of them).

So I feel justified in making this, for the following reasons:

1) the old BFP2 files were very messily constructed

2) EXE files are prime targets for viruses, I have heard about infected versions being spread around

3) Many of the custom sounds were implemented incorrectly, so you didn't hear the new sounds for certain characters, plus the Veamon skin had a bright green neck because another skin used the same file name

4) It makes more sense to download 1 file and have everything, rather than download and install three files to do the same thing (BFP2, BFP2 update, BFP2.1).

5) Patch Commander is so easy to use, and most people know how to use Gob/Goo files anyway. Plus this makes it so you can play it on the Zone with ease

6) True, with the old system, you could always have it installed even if nobody else used it (but what's the point if they can't see it?). But it would cause conflicts with other patches, and I see from some folks, even cause MOTS to not function correctly at times.

7) The skins are in alphabetical order. Before it was a major pain to have to scroll through 168 skins looking for just ONE you wanted to use, even if you knew the name. This way if you want "Vader" you can quickly click through to the V's rather than having to scroll through each one slowly so you don't miss it.

8) Fully endorsed by Chyren. Unlike some previous JKMAG leaders, Chyren is open to change, and he was very supportive of this move. Many thanks to him! ; )

As to other folks not having it, that will change once people start getting it.

When you're on the Zone plug it. Tell the folks in your clan or IRC chat that play with you. Get it the word out to folks to get it! That's the way it gets spread.. hype. Spork would not have been as popular as it was if the author had not hyped the hell out of it.

Sure, some folks may be "reluctant" to download a 9 mb file of something they think is the same as what they already had, but if you show them the benefits of it, they will try it.

If the old version didn't work well for people anyway, then they will want to get the new version that works. 9 megs used to be a big deal, but nowadays, alot of files you get online are that big or bigger, plus 'net connections are faster and cheaper than they were a few years ago, and it's worth the wait anyhow.

Kurgan

[This message has been edited by Kurgan (edited July 11, 2000).]
 Kurgan
07-14-2000, 12:30 PM
Hey, has anyone seen Al MacDonald?
I tried emailing him twice this week, but no response.

I am awaiting his permission to release two large skinpacks I put together with his skins.

If anybody sees him, have him email me please or send me an ICQ message.

kurgan@obi-wankenobi.net

Thanks!

Kurgan
 BeastMaster
07-14-2000, 7:29 PM
I thought it was just me.

I've been waiting for weeks to hear for permission to release the Crazed Mimbanite.

http://www.geocities.com/mark_a_brown/punky.JPG)

Since it's inspired by his comics and is based on his Aurra Sing skin, I figured he should have final say.

I'm also waiting on Marc Sauve on permission for some mats I used on a Kyp Durron skin.

Anyone seen either of them?

------------------
 BeastMaster
07-17-2000, 7:36 PM
Well, I heard from Marc SauvŠ¹, and my new Kyp Durron skin is up for download at the BeastMaster's Den.
http://www.geocities.com/mark_a_brown/central.html) http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/cool.gif)

------------------

[This message has been edited by BeastMaster (edited July 17, 2000).]
 BeastMaster
07-17-2000, 7:51 PM
Rrrr...

This'll teach me to try to access the forums on my home 'puter. Damned 0.00000288 connection. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/mad.gif)

------------------
 Kurgan
07-17-2000, 11:37 PM
Got the go ahead from Al. ; )

Here you go:

Al's Movie Skinpack:

http://www.jediknight.net/jkmag/bfp2x/Almovies.zip)

Al's Star Wars pack:

http://www.jediknight.net/jkmag/bfp2x/Alswskin.zip)

Kurgan
 BeastMaster
07-18-2000, 5:56 PM
Cool. How didja get in touch with him?

------------------
Page: 1 of 1