Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Will JK2 run on a Voodoo 5?

Page: 1 of 3
 [xeno]DarkStar
03-20-2002, 6:45 PM
I hope this question hasn't been asked to many times. I searched for a similar topic but couldn't find one.

It's not mentions as one of the video cards on the game info. But it also runs on the Q3 engine, which a voodoo card will run on.
 CorranHornjr
03-20-2002, 6:58 PM
It is an honest question, though I do believe that it has been asked once or twice. I used to have a 3dfx voodoo 3 card, and it worked on all games after they sold to Nvidia. I do believe that they are (100%) openGL compliant. If you read the system info on the Jedi Outcast page,

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/html/system.html)

it will tell you what is required for the cards. And it says that they have to be 100% opengl supported. Which I do believe that 3dfx put that into all of their cards. All can do is try to play it and if it doesn't work, then you know you might want to get a new card. The voodoo5 is a pretty powerful card, it was made to go against the geforce 3 i believe...though I could be wrong.

I am almost positive that it will work.

If you look, Geforce 4 isn't even supported. But it will work. Alot of games say that they are supported but have alot of unsupported cards on a list that work just fine.

there you go buddy.
 digl
03-20-2002, 7:09 PM
Welcome to the forums [xeno]DarkStar, I hope you have fun around.

I just moved your thread to our Tech Help area.
 H-street
03-20-2002, 7:15 PM
One thing you might want to seriously look into with the voodoo line ( i have a v5 in one of my computers) is to try wicked3D.. they actually made tribes2 playable on the voodoo5..

sorry i don't have the url but give

www.voodoofiles.com) a try
 acdcfanbill
03-20-2002, 8:22 PM
most likely not the best, the voodoo5 is getting to be an older card now days...:)
 UrzaTRI
03-26-2002, 2:10 PM
It should work with a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP, but may take bit of tinkering.

When I first installed and ran the a similar game such as Medal of Honour: Allied Assault, none of the video sequences at the start would show and the menu system's text was so horribly corrupted that it made menu navigation impossible.

Heres how I fixed it:

1) I downloaded WickedGL from http://www.wicked3d.com/technology/wickedgl.htm) and installed it.

2) I went into the dir where I installed Medal of Honour: Allied Assault and found the exe file, and I renamed it quake3.exe

3) Then I ran the WickedGL control panel, and told it to look for the game Quake 3 in my Medal of Honour: Allied Assault dir.

4) It told me it had found a copy and asked me if I wanted to install the MiniGL driver there, so I clicked OK.

5) I closed the WickedGL control panel, went back into my Medal of Honour: Allied Assault dir and renamed quake3.exe back to its original name

Now when I run the game I get the WickedGL shareware message which says press 'C' to continue, and then the game works fine!

My PC is as follows:
PIII 700mhz
320MB RAM
Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
SB LiVE! Value
Windows 2000 Pro
DirectX 8.1

The game runs like a dream on my machine in 800x600x32 :D

This should also work with Jedi Knight II seeing as though the graphics engine is also based on the Quake 3 engine. Give it a try and make sure you have the latest drivers for your card!!
 NatePalm
03-27-2002, 4:47 PM
Ah! Many thanks UrzaTRI! I was having the exact prob with my Voodoo 5 for Outcast as you had for Medal of Honor. I was getting no opening movies and the screen was garbled. Also my saves weren't working. I followed your instructions for the WickedGL drivers and I'm running 100% now.
I wonder what is causing the exact same problem on two different games? Oh well.

Thanks again!

Nate
 Nickeleye
03-27-2002, 11:57 PM
I just did this to for Medal of Honor and it worked great. More importantly, this really does fix the JO problems, right??!

[Edit]BUMP - I just need some reassurance people :D
 l-FeigN
03-28-2002, 2:59 AM
well I'll be damned...it does work!

I think ill still be getting a geforce3, though...i love my voodoo5, but im looking for something with a little more developer support, heh.
 Frumpus
03-28-2002, 4:03 AM
Wow, thx, Urza!

I was havin CRAP framerates in MOH:AA as well; blackscreen intro movies; no text adjustment - especially in vast environments.

I had already downloaded WickdGL for Tribes2 last fall, but never tried tricking it into using the MiniGL Quake3 drivers. It worked: I see the intro movies, and the text isn't screwed up.. . .I just wish I could get more framerates out of it. I still have to have the detail rpetty much at LOWEST settings at 1024 X 768.

My system:

AMD Duron 800MHz
256 PC133 RAM
Asus A7V133 Motherboard
Voodoo5 5500 64MB AGP
SBLive Value!
KDS XTreme Flat 19" monitor (mmm, just got this a month ago)
30GB Hard drive (that REALLY needs a fresh reformat! 2GB freespace is asking for problems I hear.)

Which version of WickedGL did you use? I think I have a couple versions from last fall (beta and "reg").

And, will that trick work for ANY Quake3-engine game?

I'm using the x3dfx_V5_Win9X_1.08.04 drivers for my Voodoo5.
 Nickeleye
03-28-2002, 5:37 AM
You're getting low framerates because you're trying to run it at 1024x768. Try 800x600.
 NatePalm
03-28-2002, 11:49 AM
Oops spoke too soon. I'm not quite 100%. The games not displaying a sky texture. All I get is a big white light sky or a big black sky. Thing is on the save game screen shots the sky is there. Other than that though the game runs great. And is quite good btw.
If anybody has any ideas on my sky problem let me know.

Nate
 GarbageCanDroid
03-28-2002, 12:38 PM
THANKYOU for this info! I signed up for this forum just to say thanks!

My Voodoo 4500 is running the game great now :)
 Voodoo5500
03-28-2002, 7:02 PM
Thanks for the advise on installation but I still get a black screen on start up any ideas?

I think its the XP drivers I'm using has anybody got any ideas on help?
I would realy like to get the game up and running?

Thanks Voodoo5500
 Nickeleye
03-28-2002, 9:53 PM
I really don't know anything about Windows XP nor do I know how the Voodoo5 card works with XP (I have a Voodoo 5 5500 as well). You did try the WickedGL solution, right?

p.s. NatePalm - I have the same setup as you and my JO is showing me clouds and sky just fine. Don't know why you don't see it.
 JR2000Z
03-28-2002, 10:30 PM
Is this WickedGlide thing free? Safe?
 Nickeleye
03-28-2002, 11:00 PM
Yes, the demo version is free (I'm not sure the differences between the demo version and the registered version besides $8). Go here (http://www.wicked3d.com/technology/wickedgl.htm) and you can download it. It's completely safe. I highly reccomend it! It fixed my Medal of Honor problems as well as Jedi Outcast :D
 Chicanery
03-29-2002, 4:20 AM
Installed WickedGL and most of my problems have gone away...

I'm not seeing the sky either (though in my case the save screen shots don't show it either), and I have absolutely no gamma control whatsoever...

Any suggestions? (other than buying a geforce...)

-Chicanery
 krazyscotsman
03-29-2002, 6:14 AM
I've downloaded the demo version of wicked GL. And the fix by changing the exe to quake3 worked. However in the setup screen for video preference, If I raise the screen resolution other than default the game locks up. The phrase about buying wicked gl comes up and I can hit c to continue. it just freeze there. Any ideas?
Scotsman
 dansolo
03-29-2002, 7:00 AM
:racer: Wicked GL is the only way to fly :)
 dansolo
03-29-2002, 7:25 AM
Ok, I figured out how to get the sky working and the gamma back to normal.

You will need to open the jk2mpconfig.cfg file in Wordpad and change a few numbers.
This file is located in: "\Jedi Outcast\GameData\base"

To fix the sky, find the line that reads:
seta r_fastsky "1"

Change the 1 to a 0 and the sky should reappear.

Now, to fix the gamma, find the line that reads:
seta r_ignorehwgamma "0"

Change the 0 to a 1 and the gamma should be normal.

Save the file, load JO and you should be good to go. Hope this works out for you... way to go WickedGL drivers for saving the day...

-ds
 Creepy_Smell
03-29-2002, 1:10 PM
thought up a possible work around to the renaming directory thing.

in the wickedgl folder there is a file called wglgames (not sure what version i have..might be different). Copy the quake 3 line..paste it in there and then edit..

"Jedi Knight",jk2sp.exe,opengl32.dll

not sure if it would work..havent tried it..i did enter a fake game name using above method and then ran wickedgl install and it showed up on list of games.

i might try later.

What i really want though is the ability to switch in-game from my geforcemx2 to my V2 sli's (and u though v5 was old...ha)..want to be able to test both..see which is better for me tweaking wise.

Creep
 Chicanery
03-29-2002, 2:14 PM
That fixed the sky problem... Still no gamma control. Can't figure out why...

There are three gamma settings in the cfg (I'm using jk2config.cfg, btw... not the multiplayer config).

seta r_ext_gamma_control "0"
seta r_ignorehwgamma "0"
seta r_gamma "2.511719"

I'm playin' with 'em... But not getting very far... Nice to have a sky though.

-Chicanery
 dansolo
03-29-2002, 5:02 PM
You shouldn't have to rename the EXE's or folders to install WickedGL. All you need to do is to copy the opengl32.dll (from the WickedGL folder) into the JO/GameData/ folder.

If you want to use the hi-res version of the WGL driver, copy the ogl_hres.dll and rename it to opengl32.dll .

Remember, any file named "opengl32.dll" will be the GL driver JO uses.

-ds
 dansolo
03-29-2002, 5:08 PM
Chicanery

If you want to set the gamma for multiplayer, you must use jk2mpconfig.cfg and play with the gamma variables.

Otherwise, jk2config.cfg is only used by the single player exe.

I think if you keep playing with those gamma vars, you will get results.
Maybe try this:

seta r_ignorehwgamma "1"
seta r_gamma "5"

I'm not at home to test this, but I will get back to you soon.

-ds

PS- There is also a brightness setting in the advanced display options which might help. :cool:
 Chicanery
03-29-2002, 7:22 PM
Yeah... I'm trying to get it for the single player... Haven't even bothered running MP yet...

Playing around with r_gamma has yielded some results, though the problem is I have to exit the game and reset it to use it. Oh well.

-Chicanery
 dansolo
03-29-2002, 8:32 PM
Chicanery-

I just got done testing this on my machine. To get the default gamma, change the three variables so they read as follows:

seta r_ext_gamma_control "1"
seta r_ignorehwgamma "1"
seta r_gamma "1"

"1" is the default gamma setting for the game, but if you need it higher, try using 1.2 or some decimal. It seems to be in very fine increments.

Another thing-- if you want to do it mid game, bring down the console by hitting shift+tilde, then type:
r_gamma "whatever"

After that, typing the command "vid_restart" will reload your current map with the new display variables.

-ds
 Ready Wan
03-29-2002, 9:20 PM
I just installed a v5 5500 into my wife's machine (a p3 450), and only allowed it to load the newest drivers 1.08.04 for win98

I was prepared to do the wickedgl tweak, but there is no need. It runs just fine...I see sky, am getting 33fps or so...pretty smooth considering.... Once in a while, when just spawning, it'll pause and freeze for a couple of seconds...but then it runs just fine.

I dont know why I didnt need the wickedgl drivers...except that perhaps I'm only running win98 not SE, I didnt load ANY 3dfx drivers until I loaded the 1.08.04.

has anyone else gotten their v5 running w/o the wickedgl drivers?

one question: do you think the wickedgl drivers would help my fps? Like I said, I'm getting 33fps, down to 25fps or so with one other user in the game...resolution is 640 x 480.. ??

thank you

RW
 dansolo
03-29-2002, 10:46 PM
Ready Wan - give Wicked GL a try... it works wonders :)
 Jedi Child
03-30-2002, 12:45 AM
does anyone know if this wickgl fix will work for voodoo 3 2000?

the voodoo 5 and voodoo 3 issues seem to be much the same...?

has anyone with voodoo 3 tried? I am downloading wickedgl and will try it myself.. i'll get back with results.
 Rebel736
03-30-2002, 12:55 AM
Hey guys i got RTCW to run on my voodoo 5500 pci card. Go to www.3dfx.com) and dl the user made drivers ppl have made drivers for XP. And theres another way to do that wicked gl fix u dont have rename anything just copy these files to the dir _ISREG32.dll , ogl_hres.dll and opengl32.dll That will fix JO and anything else. I use drivers ppl made and my games run fine. Hope this helps u guys out.

My system specs:
1.3ghz amd anthlon
256k ram
Windows XP
40 gig HD
not really sure on the rest its a prebuilt HP pavilion model # 7935
 Ready Wan
03-30-2002, 2:48 AM
Dan Solo--I loaded them and it does seem to run better than it did.
thanks for the tip!
 Voodoo5500
03-30-2002, 9:04 AM
Hi I notice everyone is worried about the sky textures but the question I have is which drivers are people using?
Also if you don't use the Whicked version of the update and just input the open gl files can you change the screen resolutions?

Thanks

Voodoo5500
 Jedi Child
03-30-2002, 11:33 AM
well, I followed the step described above, and i couldnt get the wickedgl fix to work for Voodoo 3 2000. i know it hasn't worked because i do not get the "press C to continue" message on load up. :(

does anyone know how to get it working with Voodoo3? or what might i be doing wrong?

PLEASE HELP!
 Jedi Child
03-30-2002, 12:33 PM
wickedGL DOES WORK!!! previously i had changed th JediOutcast.exe to quake3.exe, but that's the wrong .exe.
jk2mp.exe and jk2sp.exe need to be changed to quake3.exe each...

now i get skies and even the old scroll text in the start of single player - however, it's VERY blurry, but the menu screens and the save games are sorted! :D

Does anyone know how to sharpen the famous scrolling text, or focus it, at the start of singleplay?
 LightningBaron
03-30-2002, 1:35 PM
instead of altering the games exe's u can add JK II into wicked gls game list, simply open its cfg (cant remeber its name) and under the line for hitman (if you want it in alphabetical order) add:
"Jedi Knight II SP",jk2sp.exe, opengl32.dll
"Jedi Knight II MP",jk2mp.exe, opengl32.dll

and amazing, its in the wickedgl data base, anyway, i think the lines read like that, just copy the structure of everything else (dont have WGL handy at the mo so this was all off the top of my head)
 LightningBaron
03-30-2002, 1:45 PM
Originally posted by Rebel736
Hey guys i got RTCW to run on my voodoo 5500 pci card. Go to www.3dfx.com) and dl the user made drivers ppl have made drivers for XP.

they rnt user made, they are made by the people that used to work for 3dfx, but because 3dfx was closed down they cant use that name, hence x3dfx, and thats the reason for them being so stable
 Gromas
03-30-2002, 9:58 PM
I'm running Win98SE, x3dfx 1.08.04 , WickedGL drivers. I've renamed the .exes and what not, and I can get into the game. But as soon as I get to the menu in the it totally locks up. Any idea if there is a setting that needs to be changed elsewhere? This is my #6 at the Outcast LAN that's going on right now! Five computers at the LAN is such an odd numma.

HELP!!!!!
 Chicanery
03-31-2002, 6:53 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone, especially DanSolo, for helpin' out with my gamma problems...

It's fixed (still butt ugly compared to my buddy's Geforce3 sitting next to me), but it's playable.

THANKS!

-Chicanery
 Darth Massacator
03-31-2002, 7:27 PM
That solution using the WickedGL drivers on JKII were right on the mark! I use the drivers for Tribes 2 and never bothered to think it'd work on other Q3-based engines. I had similiar problems that others have posted, such as lack of cutscenes, poor fps (granted I was somewhat expecting it being I'm using a V5500 agp), etc.

At any rate, if anyone needs reassurance on using the Wicked GL drivers, my stats are (all drivers updated):

PIII 700mhz
SB Live
V5500 AGP
Latest 4-in-1 Via Drivers
512 ram
Win '98
USR Ext. 5686 modem
Edit: Forgot to mention I have turbo turned off in my CMOS.

And if you still have doubt, I used the same tip on MOHAA and the game finally bloody rocks!! I can view cutscenes, and the option menus aren't a garbled mess.
 Ravioli
03-31-2002, 9:12 PM
Thanks guys worked for me too :)
 TegSkywalker
04-01-2002, 6:15 PM
I just found out the best way was to get a recent, up to date video card. I got sick of tooling with my Voodoo 3 back in the day to make certain games run.

Buy a new video card, it will help you in the long run :)
 Erdrick
04-03-2002, 2:40 AM
Thanks for the wickedgl tip guys....using a voodoo3/3000 and it works fine now, though words are still blurry...
 SlimChance
04-04-2002, 1:46 PM
Well, No luck here. I did everything that was suggested here and no change.

Downloaded WickedGL, change the cfg settings, pointed to the JKII directory and installed. Checked to make sure open32gl.dll file is in the proper directory(even copied into every directory. But NOTHING. Still blank screen on startup, and lockups on loading games.

I've got a temporary workaround from another thread, so I can still play the game. But this fix didn't do anything for me?

Athlon 1gHz
Voodoo 5
256 kRAM
Fortissimo II Sound

Any ideas?

Slim,
 KRHJEDI
04-05-2002, 2:21 AM
ok...i have a V5 and tried using the Wicked GL trick....renaming the exes and what not.....when i try to start the game....the glsetup command window comes up then I get a popup dialog that says error. anyone know what the problem is?
 iggy2k
04-05-2002, 12:38 PM
just want to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this wee voodoo faq. bought the game a couple of days ago and was quite upset to see what looked like the scrolling text through milk bottle bottoms :P hopefully once ive downed wicked and got ma x3dfx drivers i should be sorted :) and to think i nearly returned it
 bertroid
04-05-2002, 10:07 PM
Try forcing the textures to 16 bits in the V5 advanced settings for OGL. That allowed the movies to play for me in MOHAA and JO.
 DhalgrenJedi
04-06-2002, 1:28 AM
Just install the driver pack released by NuAngel. You can find them with google. They worked fine for my Voodoo 5.

His drivers are based on WickedGL and the rare unreleased Voodoo 6 driver code.

--
K
 TYorke
04-06-2002, 1:43 AM
Guys, I am not sure if you heard about this or not but there has been a GlideXP Project in the works since last year when Windows XP was released.

http://nat.mine.nu:81/3dfx/glidexp/)

The recommended setup is to install the original 3dfx Windows 2000 Drivers WHQL from www.voodoofiles.com), download GlideXP (it only comes with glide2x.dll and glide3x.dll) and copy and paste these files into your Windows\System32 directory.

That's all there is to do, all your games will work with no problems. I run MoHAA and it works fine. Obviously it has some tears but maybe it is just my setup. You tweakers can probably make them disappear and if you do, give me a shout! :)
 Zylmax
04-06-2002, 7:22 AM
I can now run jk2 on a voodoo2, and that works find. Thanks for posting these tips.
Page: 1 of 3