Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lightsaber Handle Construction?

Page: 1 of 1
 Danierusan
03-20-2002, 7:56 AM
One really simple yet important addition we could make to this game is handle construction....in order that everyone can have there own style of saber (though this would get complicated if other light weapons were incorporated.)
We all wish we could have one, and we all know that we would have to make one too. It's the nearest thing we are going to get to the real thing - ever!
Now, i'm not a computer graphics expert but I assume that skins for the model are wrapped on to a frame in this case. They are a little(!) more detailed in this edition but i'm sure that can be worked on.

The Idea: If the skins that surround the model are split into thirds down the length of the handle.....people can pick and choose portions from existing skins or those that have been created by the community. This will work particulaly well with metallic handles, but since lightsabers can even be made from hollowed out bones etc. if someone to prepare a skin it could used on any saber. Imagine an ivory saber with the top portion provided by Obi-Wan's saber from Episode 1 - sweet.

I hope this has sparked someone's enthusiasm, it's all about the individualism!

Danierusan
 LightningBaron
03-30-2002, 12:01 PM
the idea is good, and if i was at home id check the game files to see if there is a way of opening up the saber skin, that way i guess you could edit it, but it would effect every saber (im assuming the game just uses one saber skin). i suppose it might be possible to have only yourself using the skin, but i dont know how (altho the darth maul skin has been made into a seperate one now instead of over writting the reborn skin). the only thing is, u cant really make out the saber that well anyway, but i wouldnt mind having a look into making a new saber skin, and the idea of everyone having there own seems cool, or at least having a large range to select from
 Shifty
03-31-2002, 3:24 AM
Originally posted by Danierusan
... it's all about the individualism!
Agreed! :amidala:
 Lord Odisse
04-01-2002, 12:58 AM
In SP they're 4 different types of Lightsaber handle, Desann's, Luke's, Kyle's and the Reborn one, I've looked at the texture files and they can be edited however in MP only Kyle's Lightsaber is used, until someone can add another choice to the menu system where you select your saber's colour and handle you're stuck with only one at the moment.
 JoshCube
04-12-2002, 8:20 PM
I saw multiplayer examples of different saber handles on the Gamespot website. Watch one of the videos and they show a saber with a spiked ball on the bottom of the handle. No idea how they did it.

:evanpiel:
 mtrixman
04-12-2002, 9:26 PM
what if you rename the luke saber skin and replace the kyle saber in multi?
 CheshireKat
04-12-2002, 9:50 PM
Seeing this game is built almost just like Q3 you're only choice is a Saber Replacement. Then you'll only see it on non pure servers, unless you trick the game into using yours instead of kyles. Still you'll only get one style of Saber. Multiple Sabers would need an entire mod.
 Cornbread
04-12-2002, 9:53 PM
Not to mention how much downloading would be required if everyone had an individual sabre hilt.

:biggs:
 Jarrodo Malachi
04-13-2002, 2:18 AM
Cornbread-Depends on how many players and how big the files are. maybe it can be as simple as just a jpg file to go over the saber model?
 toolboi
04-13-2002, 3:11 AM
Well... if you created a mod that allowed you to customize the models from parts all you would need going back and forth over the network is ~3 bytes of info. guard type A, grip type D, pommel type F.
 Tigris
04-13-2002, 7:21 AM
Perhaps someone can ask the CPM-Mod guys from Q3. They build a player model on which you can change colors from the head to the leg individually. That should be possible with JK2 too.
 Lord Odisse
04-13-2002, 12:05 PM
It'd be good to have a different model for your saber hilt, I wouldn't mind Count Dooku's curved Lightsaber hilt.
 Tigris
04-14-2002, 8:42 AM
So my two bits again:
First I mailed arqon (one of the CPM-guys) and he told me that different colors (don't know if this could be expanded) on models is done by creating a white item and then GL_Modulate it. So, I'm not very good at coding but I think we could try.

Second I thought about the quake-code again and one thing came to my mind: You can change your headmodel in some mods (I don't know if it was even implented in baseq3)- could we adapt this to JK2- basically the lightsaber-handel seem to be an independent model, so why not make it seperately selectable? Perhaps there is even a clue about this in the existing bot-files... (this idea came VERY recently, elsewise I would already have checked this- sorry)

So far, hope this brings up some sollutions....

Oh yeah, since the admins disabled the email-thing: Tigris@durahcell.de
 X_Fighter
04-14-2002, 9:48 AM
If You Can do that it would be grat so far i am just recolouring the lightsaber in the game maybe other ppl will be doing this till the editors come out
Page: 1 of 1