Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

E-Mail Virus Warning: SIRCAM

Page: 1 of 1
 ZeroXcape
07-24-2001, 4:52 PM
Just got back from my mini-vacation to find my mail box stuffed with over 650 e-mails. Sure enough, several people sending me the virus I've seen on either these forums or another LucasGames forum.

Check out the following information for quick info:

<a href="http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=9637">Ain't) It Cool Info</a>
<a href="http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,45476.00.html">Wired) Info</a>
 CaptainRAVE
07-24-2001, 5:42 PM
Now you tell me. I got it, but it aint that deadly. Wouldnt let me open any applications. No prob though, easy enough to get rid of.
 CaptainRAVE
07-24-2001, 6:08 PM
Ok i thought i had got ridden of it anyway. I downloaded that thing in the end. The funny thing is.....i got two of the viruses in one night. lol. THANKS FOR THE INFO ZeroXcape
:D :D :D :D
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-24-2001, 6:26 PM
Yeah, I read about it. Thanks for the heads-up though.
 Kurgan
07-24-2001, 6:42 PM
The deal is is that infected people are sending files from their "My Documents" folder to others from their address books.

I've gotten at least four emails with the virus attached (hugely obvious).

Norton AntiVirus swiftly removed each and every one and purged it from my system.

Another reason not to bother using Outlook..

Kurgan
 WD_ToRMeNt
07-24-2001, 6:51 PM
That's why I use linux, it's almost immune to virii because 1) most virii are written for winhoes 2) A virus can't really do anything because it can't get root permissions anway.

I don't use outlook anymore, I swear it crashes half the time I even try it. I use Kmail in linux, I like it better anway.
 PreTZeL
07-24-2001, 8:14 PM
OR
dont use an address book :D
i never do
 ZeroXcape
07-25-2001, 12:13 AM
We all use Linux over Windows... unfortunatly until we get more info on the JKII Linux release, I can't drop windows from the HDD just yet ;)

As for the virii, I was never infected - but I'm now getting something like 50 e-mails an hour from this thing.

READ THIS: <a href="http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6660198.html?tag=lh">INFORMATION</a>)

and if you think you have it, use <a href="http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.removal.tool.html">THIS) FILE</a> to get rid of it.

It's more of an annoyance than anything
:mad:
 Kurgan
09-03-2001, 8:39 AM
Oddly enough, I'm still getting copies of this virus sent to me, though it has really slowed down.. I was getting a ton of them (though not as many as Z).

Kurgan
 CaptainRAVE
09-03-2001, 5:01 PM
The other night I was away from MSN for about half an hour....looked back and i had 2800 emails!!!! Took ages to delete them and all they held was rubbish. I blocked them and so far i havent had anymore. Really annoying though.
 ZeroXcape
09-03-2001, 6:05 PM
I stopped getting them for a while, but it looks like they are back again :|

Most of my current spam is coming from spanish speaking languages though, but hopefully it will die out again.
 Kurgan
09-03-2001, 7:19 PM
What gets me is that the people I'm getting it from I've never talked to before. I thought that the virus just sent stuff that was in your address book.. unless I have thousands of admirers.

Or is it simply able to scan for email addresses?

I mean I could tell if it was being sent to mailing lists I was on, or could I?

Dang annoying...

Kurgan
 matt--
09-03-2001, 10:28 PM
The virus scans documents for '@' I believe. Then it parses it and uses the string as an email address.
 Ice Man
09-04-2001, 10:07 PM
I got about 5 or 6 e-mails containing the virus. Luckily I had already heard of it beforehand. Still, I'm not stupid enough to open a file in an e-mail, containing double extensions. I think not!
 Kurgan
09-05-2001, 2:42 AM
Yeah, I hear you there. It's not that I am fooled by them, it's just that I KEEP GETTING THEM, it's annoying. ; p

Kurgan
 matt--
09-05-2001, 12:26 PM
What email client do you use?

Some clients can be configured to auto delete stuff after finding a specific string.
 Kurgan
09-05-2001, 1:19 PM
Oh, you mean like a content filter?

My program has filtering, just that I wouldn't know what string to block in this case...

Kurgan
 Rogue15
09-05-2001, 1:31 PM
my parents cpu has the sircam virus. :( my mom uses outlook...hope it doesn't get through the router to my computer! :D
 matt--
09-05-2001, 2:15 PM
www.sarc.com) (http://www.sarc.com) sircam info
message details

The message body will be semi-random, but will always contain one of the following two lines (either English or Spanish) as the first and last sentences of the message.
---------------------------------------------
Spanish Version:
First line: Hola como estas ?
Last line: Nos vemos pronto, gracias.

English Version:
First line: Hi! How are you?
Last line: See you later. Thanks

Between these two sentences, some of the following text may appear:

Spanish Version:
Te mando este archivo para que me des tu punto de vista
Espero me puedas ayudar con el archivo que te mando
Espero te guste este archivo que te mando
Este es el archivo con la informaci=n que me pediste

English Version:
I send you this file in order to have your advice
I hope you can help me with this file that I send
I hope you like the file that I sendo you
This is the file with the information that you ask for
Put each of these in your filter.
 matt--
09-05-2001, 2:32 PM
here is a quick way to see your potential for getting the SirCam virus. Run your email through a search engine. If it's on a often visited site, you'll probably expect an email from infected visitors.

You're email is probably plastered around the web.

However, ZeroXcape has you easily beaten. A quick search for 'zeroxcape@' revealed 206 matches. Me thinks you see a lot of sircam, zero.
Page: 1 of 1