Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

BLUE SHIFT RULES....

Page: 1 of 1
 CaptainRAVE
06-07-2001, 6:40 PM
what do u think??????????????????
 Rogue15
06-07-2001, 8:36 PM
i think about alot of stuff.
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-07-2001, 10:20 PM
I heard that it was good, but just too short.
 Vornskr
06-08-2001, 1:43 AM
Well, no, I'd say the red shift rules, because a blue shift would mean the universe is ending...

What were we talking about? ;)
 Masamune
06-08-2001, 1:58 AM
I was blessed with the opportunity to play Blue-Shift this weekend. As some of you may know, it went gold a few weeks ago. A friend of mine who works for a computer store, got a promotional copy, and gave it to me. I started playing at about 12:30 last night as soon as I got home. I was quite eager to return to Black Mesa and relive the story from yet another perspective.

My expectations were very high, and I must say, I was NOT disappointed. I highly recommend this title.

The puzzles in the game are numerous and challenging. The high level of immersion is back and better than ever. The new models and engine enhancements make it visually pleasing as well. The game also does an excellent job of tieing all three titles together. For example, you remember at the very beginning of Half-Life, as Gordon Freeman is traveling along the train thing, off to the left is a security guard banging on a locked door. Guess who that security guard was. Yep, you guessed it. B. Calhoun, the star of Blue-Shift.

My only disapointment was the length. As I said, I started a new game at 12:30 last night. I beat the game early this afternoon (yes, I did go to sleep).

The CD also has some extras on it. The enhanced models and engine enhancements (the fog underwater looks very cool) can be installed for the original Half-Life and Opposing Force. The CD also comes with the full version of Opposing Force.

Despite its short length, Blue-Shift is definitely worth while.
 Letalis
06-08-2001, 2:44 AM
I haven't played it yet, but am curious as to how they keep the story going? I mean it really is the same story, just from a diferent perspective. I found OF really lacking, (not to say I didn't love it), but it wasn't as good as HL.

Does Blue-Shift do well with the story?
 Masamune
06-08-2001, 11:27 PM
Blue Shift starts technically before the original Half Life. You start on a tram like in Half Life, after a minute or so you pass Gordon Freeman, you can watch him board the tram behind your tram.

It is the same story line from a different perspective, a security gaurd. The story of Blue Shift goes right along with the way things happened in Opposing Force and Half Life.

I agree about Opposing Force, it was kind of a disappointment after Half Life. Had Blue Shift been a tad longer, I would say its better than Half Life.

[ June 08, 2001: Message edited by: Masamune ]
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-09-2001, 12:51 AM
What's Blue shift?

I'll have to agree with Vornskr on this one. 'Cause that's the first thing that came to my mind when I read Blue Shift...
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-09-2001, 2:52 AM
Expansion for Half-Life.
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-09-2001, 3:03 AM
So it's more like an Opposing Force wanna be?
 CaptainRAVE
06-09-2001, 4:25 PM
Its part of the Half Life trilogy if people dont know and apparantly its shorter than opposing force....but because its half life, its amazing :)
 StormHammer
06-09-2001, 7:11 PM
Does anyone know if HL: Blue Shift is longer or shorter than Gunman Chronicles? I've played GC, and enjoyed it while it lasted, but it was short. If HL:BS is shorter, then I'm not sure I'd be interested in buying it...unless it becomes a budget title.

I've already got Half-Life, and Opposing Force (which I thought was quite good).

Even if I am persuaded to get Blue Shift, it will most definitely be the very last game I would be willing to get that is based in Black Mesa. I think they've told the same story from pretty much every angle except the aliens, and it wouldn't surprise me if they try to do that next.

If they are working on Half-Life 2, then I can say in all honestly I hope this is one sequel that has nothing to do with the original. They need to move on and up to the next level if they have any hope at all of duplicating the impact Half-Life had on the gaming community.

Just IMO. ;)
 CaptainRAVE
06-09-2001, 8:08 PM
GC was cool! The problem was we compared it to half life, which was too long!! Blue Shift will definatly be shorter because it is even shorter than opposing force!
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-09-2001, 10:58 PM
oh! So Valve made Blue Shift too? I thought it was user made.
 CaptainRAVE
06-10-2001, 8:13 AM
Nope....its an official Valve title! :D
 CaptainRAVE
06-10-2001, 8:16 AM
Even though some of the user made ones are better!
 StormHammer
06-10-2001, 3:06 PM
Originally posted by CaptainRAVE:
<STRONG>GC was cool! The problem was we compared it to half life, which was too long!! Blue Shift will definatly be shorter because it is even shorter than opposing force!</STRONG>

Actually, I liked the length of Half-Life. The only thing I really didn't like about the game was ending up in Xen, and the key boss at the end was rubbish. The head-crab's big mom was great, and they should have ended the game after defeating that one.

Opposing Force had the same problem - the boss at the end was silly.

I believe Gunman Chronicles is shorter than Opposing Force (I haven't played OF for some time, so I'm unsure). That was why I wondered if Blue Shift was shorter than GC.

Anyway, it might be worth getting Blue Shift just for some of the updated tech, which is supposed to upgrade the original Half-Life. I think I read that somewhere. Anyone have any idea about what BS changes in HL?
 CaptainRAVE
06-10-2001, 3:20 PM
All they've done is increase the polygon count slightly....nothing else had changed. I also agree with u in the fact that the ending in Half life was long and pointless and the bosses just didnt fit into it very well.
 bsbuckeye21
06-10-2001, 7:58 PM
Originally posted by CaptainRAVE:
<STRONG>Nope....its an official Valve title! :D</STRONG>

Actually, Blue Shift and Oposing Force were developed by Gearbox Software, not Valve.
 Archie
06-11-2001, 12:33 PM
But Gearbox was officially sanctioned to do them... So make what you will of that.
 Aragorn
06-11-2001, 2:43 PM
Blue Shift rules...unless you already have Opposing Force. Then it's a short game that won't give you anything new...
And I've heard that the high definition pack is a free download...
 CaptainRAVE
06-11-2001, 4:54 PM
Opposing Force rules too, know the LINK for that pack cause id like it!!! :D :D :D :D
 Wilhuf
06-11-2001, 6:26 PM
Does Blue Shift feature new multiplayer weapons and multiplayer maps?
 Masamune
06-11-2001, 6:40 PM
There is unfortunely NO multiplayer aspect of Blue-Shift. None at all. Blue Shift is soley singleplayer.
 CaptainRAVE
06-11-2001, 6:45 PM
Blue Shift offers nothing new except the storyline. It was originally only meant for the dreamcast, but they then made it for the PC!
 Aragorn
06-12-2001, 12:25 AM
I finished the game in less than 4 hours on one take with dificulty set to difficult...
That about says it all.
And no, there is no MP...
 [RAA]-=Chi3f=-
03-15-2002, 4:52 AM
Originally posted by CaptainRAVE
what do u think??????????????????

I liked it. It was fun to play as poor little Barney. He he he. I also like how they involved you in the plot, again, from a different perspective. :D
 Darth Knight
07-24-2002, 3:36 PM
I liked it but it was really short. I wish they would have made it longer.
Page: 1 of 1