Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

XWA One Year Thread Part VII: Shadows of the Forum

Page: 2 of 5
 Rogue15
01-13-2012, 9:46 AM
lol smooth keyan...so damn smooth.
 Rogue15
01-13-2012, 1:22 PM
just got my books for my first semester at the community college. not that bad of a schedule...hopefully i get a decent amount from financial aide so i can get a nice computer for TOR. hahahaha
 Cmdr. Cracken
01-13-2012, 1:26 PM
Snow. Lots of snow.

Going out with the snow blower in about another 30 minutes.

Will report later.
 K_Kinnison
01-14-2012, 12:00 PM
We ended up getting 5 inches of snow here in WIsconsin. Ended up snow blowing the driveway 3 times as it drifted rather bad. Not to mention the new 4 ft wide sidewalk in our front yard.

Elderly lady next door usually has someone plow her driveway but he was out of town and asked me to help. It was no problem and I was happy to do it. Gave me $20 and i even came back the next day to clear the drifting and the end of her driveway that the blow left for free.

Next weekend I am celebrating my 37th Birthday a bit early (normally the 25th) with a party and I am inviting a bunch of people over to play Talisman (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27627/talisman-fourth-edition) with all the expansions

Be better then the last one when my mom passed 3 days before my birthday
 Rogue15
01-14-2012, 10:35 PM
got my xbox 360...and games...going to set it up soon...
 Kuuki
01-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Conversations with my Cat while in my bed room:

Me: "Hi Jae!"

Jae: "Mrrrrrrr-rwow?"

Me: "You know about 98percent of these things here in this room I've owned long before the two of you existed..."

Jae: "Mrrrrrrrr-rwow!"

All at the while, 'Skittish' Bob *STARES*

---------------------------------------

Yeah, they're getting bigger now D:

they normally hang out with me during the day and evening, sleeping on my bed :D

I have a feeling that the 'real Jae' still wants em :p
 Rogue15
01-15-2012, 12:10 AM
searching on amazon.com...picked out like 30+ games for under $300. that should keep me busy!
 LukA_YJK
01-15-2012, 10:10 AM
reporting in...
 Keyan Farlander
01-15-2012, 3:38 PM
Trying to hit on ridiculously hot girl I was accompanying for at Mass this morning. But this other dude from the choir stayed late and WOULD NOT GO AWAY. He obviously likes her. And he knows her better since they are in the choir together. Meaning I have no chance. The only thing I have on him is that I am taller than she is, and he isn't. But if he keeps blocking me, it doesn't matter, since I'll never be able to get her alone and work my mojo, dang it :mad: At least I was able to insert an invitation to privately rehearse with her if she wanted. If you know what I mean. And I think you do.
 Rogue15
01-15-2012, 6:49 PM
lol keyan, you should move...do the peace corp maybe.
 Keyan Farlander
01-15-2012, 8:54 PM
That's for hippies.
 edlib
01-15-2012, 9:14 PM
2/3rds of the way through a 3-day weekend... and I'm exhausted. And... I really haven't done anything!!!

How does that work?

Mom is now laying a guilt-trip on me for not being around much to do stuff around the house. Which I guess is a nice change from the last 20+ years of guilt-trip for always being around the house too much in my time off, sitting around moping and/or playing games,.. and not, say, being out getting a girl, and setting up to get her grandkids.

I can't seem to win with her. Ever.

And now when I am here, she puts this crap on me... making me regret staying at home... and making it more likely that I'll spend even less time here.
 LukA_YJK
01-16-2012, 2:32 PM
My son is 8 months old already. Named him after my grand-uncle who was "missing in action" in World War II, until a year and half ago, when I found a document in archives confirming that he was actually "killed in battle", also indicating where he was buried.
 K_Kinnison
01-16-2012, 4:06 PM

And now when I am here, she puts this crap on me... making me regret staying at home... and making it more likely that I'll spend even less time here.

you never will. When you stay in the nest, no matter what the reasons, be prepared to be sat on.
 Wildstar
01-16-2012, 6:47 PM
Keyan, are you closer to DC or Baltimore? B/C if it's the latter, we're going to have a very interesting week. :p
 Rogue15
01-16-2012, 7:33 PM
2/3rds of the way through a 3-day weekend... and I'm exhausted. And... I really haven't done anything!!!

How does that work?

Mom is now laying a guilt-trip on me for not being around much to do stuff around the house. Which I guess is a nice change from the last 20+ years of guilt-trip for always being around the house too much in my time off, sitting around moping and/or playing games,.. and not, say, being out getting a girl, and setting up to get her grandkids.

K-K is right lol
 Keyan Farlander
01-17-2012, 9:40 AM
Keyan, are you closer to DC or Baltimore? B/C if it's the latter, we're going to have a very interesting week. :p

I live a bit closer to Baltimore. Is this some football thing you're talking about? Because if so, I'll probably be oblivious to whole thing. I mean, go Ravens and everything, but I'm just not a football fan.
 Wildstar
01-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Fair enough, Keyan. :)
 Rogue15
01-17-2012, 1:44 PM
picked up 5 games for $60...Mercenaries 2, Far Cry 2, Far Cry Instincts Predator, Dragon Age Origins, and Fallout New Vegas. Dragon Age seems pretty sweet. Might go get some more games tomorrow...lol gamestop loves me.
 edlib
01-17-2012, 6:40 PM
you never will. When you stay in the nest, no matter what the reasons, be prepared to be sat on.At this point, it feels much more like I'm the parent bird, however.

I'm providing for everything financially... and I take care of 90% of all the chores that need to be done around the place (when I'm there, of course...) and I have to look after her quite a bit now. Stay after her to shower and pick up after herself, and do her laundry... etc...

So when she gets on me I kind of chuckle a bit...

But I have been spending a lot of time with the girlfriend and her kids... simply because I actually have it to spend at the moment. 2 weeks from now, I'll be flat out again with shows, and they'll be saying they never see me because I'm always working.

I taught them all a bit about D&D yesterday. They seemed to enjoy it... though all we really did was make characters for them, and a sample combat encounter. Barely scratched the surface. And I'm super rusty as a DM. I guess I need to re-read some of the rule books.

I'm my copious spare time, of course... :dozey:
 Keyan Farlander
01-18-2012, 9:41 AM
I was getting ready to call you out as a huge nerd, but then I realized I am posting on the message board for a Star Wars computer game that came out 13 years ago. *Sigh*
 Rogue15
01-18-2012, 4:03 PM
just picked up Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga, Captain Morgan Long Island Iced Tea, and some nice ear rings for my woman. its going to be a good night.
 Kuuki
01-18-2012, 7:56 PM
I was getting ready to call you out as a huge nerd, but then I realized I am posting on the message board for a Star Wars computer game that came out 13 years ago. *Sigh*

Oh snap, you just TOLD yourself! :P
 Keyan Farlander
01-19-2012, 9:37 AM
Well, it would be less of a problem if someone would come out with a new X-Wing game :mad:
 K_Kinnison
01-19-2012, 11:58 AM
I taught them all a bit about D&D yesterday. They seemed to enjoy it... though all we really did was make characters for them, and a sample combat encounter. Barely scratched the surface. And I'm super rusty as a DM. I guess I need to re-read some of the rule books.

I'm my copious spare time, of course... :dozey:

Which version of D&D? Regardless, use a pregen campaign.

In my D&D group we have a bunch of high level characters (16-18) but it is all homebrew for the adventures, and setting. Rather talented DM I got. tho the players don't have much imagination.

THis weekend I am having an early birthday party where I am going to play this
http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic332870_md.jpg)
with all the expansions (Dungeons, Highland, Frostmarch, Reaper, Sacred pool, and Dragon). Completely random, beer and pretzels D&D game

Going shopping for some of the food right now
 Rogue15
01-19-2012, 9:22 PM
though i just bought a buncha games, put fallout 3 in...cant stop playing it. lol i havent really started the main quest! tomorrow is my first day of college. i'm pretty nervous, it has to be at 8am. :(

looking forward to the weekend and monday though, saturday is my birthday, and monday is my fiance's birthday! Got my shopping done for her. :)
 edlib
01-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Which version of D&D? Regardless, use a pregen campaign.

In my D&D group we have a bunch of high level characters (16-18) but it is all homebrew for the adventures, and setting. Rather talented DM I got. tho the players don't have much imagination.

THis weekend I am having an early birthday party where I am going to play this
with all the expansions (Dungeons, Highland, Frostmarch, Reaper, Sacred pool, and Dragon). Completely random, beer and pretzels D&D game
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/189299_10150250082253461_591183460_7550183_5229899) _n.jpg
I ONLY have 1st Edition AD&D and the various "Basic" D&D sets.

You gotta remember: The last time I ACTUALLY ever played D&D was around 1985 or '86! I think I was 15. (I'm 41 now...)

I was out of it before 2nd Ed. appeared.

I was typically DM. I always made my own adventures from scratch... though I own a few modules, I almost never used them. I used the Greyhawk map as a setting for a while... then built my own world. I still have it.

But it's been the better part of 30 years since I've even given it much thought. I didn't even remember most of the combat procedures.

I was thinking of getting the 4E books, just so the kids could play the current game... but I have yet to read a positive review of it from somebody who is an old school gamer.

Maybe I'll just look into one of the free 3.5 "Retro-Clone" D20-System games that are floating around on the web...

But actually, the more I think of it, the "Red Box Basic" BECMI system is probably the best way to start them out. That's how I began...

What we played the other day was kind of an amalgam of stripped-down 1E AD&D and Basic... just to give a feel, and for me to figure out if they even liked it, and if they could possibly handle something more rules intensive.

Interesting news:
WOTC is re-releasing the 1E core rulebooks this spring. I already have originals... but I think it's pretty cool!
http://blogs.evtrib.com/nerdvana/books/dd-1st-edition-premium-reprints-to-support-gary-gygax-memorial/64204/)
 Rogue15
01-20-2012, 12:35 PM
1st day of college was fun...got a parking ticket too. :joy:

Went to gamestop and saw they had buy 2 preowned get 1 free, so i was like huh wtf i didnt get informed of this the last 2 times i went out and bought 2 preowned each time so i had the one receipt and i picked out Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition. :)

Also going to return Dragon Age Origins and pay the extra $1 or $2 for Origins AND Awakening, and hopefully with that receipt pick up Dragon Age 2 for an extra couple bucks, or Mass Effect 2. hmm...
 K_Kinnison
01-20-2012, 1:30 PM
@Ed kudos for old school D&D

As far as 4th edition, it is there to prevent a lot of the flaws in 3.5. The fact that Casters bog down the game at high levels. case in point my Cleric was able to cast about 12 buffing spells on himself before entering combat.

Old skool gamers don't like 4th edition because they have spent YEARS learning to munchkin-ize and 'break' 3.5 and don't want to have to learn it again. Just by my browsing of the game each character has "powers" based on their race and class. So it is kind of like Diablo. 4th is different, but I think it makes it more enjoyable for new gamers since everything is rather clear cut at what you can do. Instead of 3.5 where you have to spend time reading books to figure out the best way to min/max your player
 Kuuki
01-20-2012, 2:48 PM
I loved my zerker/barb half orc with maxed out power attack and cleave
hmm, substitute attack roll (d20) modifier for 4dmg per point? SURE!
78+1d6 X 6 attacks per turn :D
 Rogue15
01-20-2012, 9:05 PM
eh just turned in dragon age origins for mass effect 2. da:o was boring.
 K_Kinnison
01-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Sure kuuki. Sounda like our Critical master zerker we have in our group. Critical hits on a roll of 15+. Who needs power attack when you got a 25% chance of double damage. My Cleric is tweaked to pretty much kill any evil or undead in one turn. Most of our group combats don't last more then 3 rounds unless the monsters have a high DR.
 Keyan Farlander
01-21-2012, 5:34 PM
I loved my zerker/barb half orc with maxed out power attack and cleave
hmm, substitute attack roll (d20) modifier for 4dmg per point? SURE!
78+1d6 X 6 attacks per turn :D

I think Kuuki just had some sort of seizure :eek:
 Kylilin
01-21-2012, 9:19 PM
It warms my heart to see that this place is still going. Hope all is well with everyone.
 Kuuki
01-22-2012, 1:30 AM
I think Kuuki just had some sort of seizure :eek:

naw. but that does remind me, I NEED to find that character sheet, I made that guy years ago... I still got it around here somewhere (just to give out what the attack dmg was per roll :3)

besides, my seizure is caused by something else
 Cmdr. Cracken
01-22-2012, 10:50 AM
http://nzcomputers.net/heroforge/)

Digital versions. You can input the values of your character into the relevant tabs then it spits out a character sheet. The character sheet itself you can edit with your damage (wounds) and temp modifiers. it doesn't do well with 2 weapon fighting (I have to manually calculate that, meh) but it's PRETTY GODDAMNED AWESOME. (requires Excel 97-2003)
 K_Kinnison
01-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Got in two games of Talisman at my party last night. First game ended with a 3 person battle royal after I got there first, killed one player off, then failed my spell check rolls and got smacked by a damn THIEF.

2nd game dragged on from 7pm til 3am. We finally gave up when the game basically told us it had no chance of beating us anytime soon

still had fun
 Cmdr. Cracken
01-22-2012, 1:01 PM
just watched Manchester United v. Arsenal on FOX. I can't believe they decided to broadcast actual futbol! :D
 Wildstar
01-22-2012, 1:02 PM
Hey Kylilin...LTNS :)
 edlib
01-22-2012, 9:17 PM
I was looking for a basic, all-in-one starter box set of D&D to get the kids on the road. Couldn't find it...

Went with Pathfinder RPG box set instead. It looks like a really nice product. D20 OGL 3.5 compatible.

http://geekout.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/28/inside-paizos-pathfinder-beginners-box-set/)

I'm pretty excited about it!

In the meantime... I've been looking over a bunch of the old-school materials I have, as well as stuff I've found online, to get reacquainted and inspired again.
 Keyan Farlander
01-23-2012, 9:27 AM
Man, these morning runs are treacherous and unpleasant in icy and foggy conditions.
 edlib
01-23-2012, 9:42 AM
Yeah... It's a dirty, slushy, sloppy mess around here on the streets and sidewalks right now.

I'm always somewhat surprised when I see joggers and bike riders out in it. That's more dedication than I have.

Which probably explains my out-of-shapeness. :dozey:

I have been putting a bit of time in on the bike... Though not as much as I need.
 Keyan Farlander
01-23-2012, 11:27 AM
That's more dedication than I have.

It's lack of dedication that compelled me to do it. I have to start the week out right or my motivation evaporates. Otherwise, tomorrow it'll be like, "Well, I didn't do it Monday, so the week's already shot. Might as well eat a bag of Cheetos for breakfast instead."

If it were Wednesday or something, I could skip a day and get back on track, but that Monday morning run sets the tone for the whole week for some reason.
 Wildstar
01-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Well, it's on...a rematch of Super Bowl XLII with the Patriots and Giants for Super Bowl XLVI. I just hope the result of the last one is reversed this time. :D
 Cmdr. Cracken
01-23-2012, 3:16 PM
Well, on reddit, the comparisons to the Patriots and the Empire have started. It's endless Star Wars jokes over there. :D
 Rogue15
01-23-2012, 6:52 PM
went to all my classes today...walked there from my place, wasn't too bad. got homework.

Mass Effect 2 is freakin awesome. :)
 Keyan Farlander
01-24-2012, 9:55 AM
Terrible traffic this morning. I considered a murder rampage followed by suicide, but I haven't finished Batman: Arkham Asylum yet, and I want to see how it ends :¬:
 Cmdr. Cracken
01-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Finished the contract work, and got paid today. Though it did involve a trip to the county clerks office, which was FUN. Oh god, would go again! >.>
 edlib
01-24-2012, 4:42 PM
I'm here... with nothing to add.

Work is... *YAWN*... (excuse me...) super exciting.

:dozey:

Did my performance review self-evaluation today. Ugh.
 Rogue15
01-24-2012, 9:40 PM
writing my obituary for homework. fun.
Page: 2 of 5