Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What next?

Page: 1 of 1
 darthtyren
07-05-2011, 8:15 AM
I've just finished my first mod and am eagerly awaiting it to show up at FileFront. I'm just wondering: What should I do next? Is there a suggestive part of modding that I should work on next?
 Sith Holocron
07-05-2011, 9:03 AM
It just seems to me that a modder should always mod for themselves first and only then seek input after. There's no point doing it if it isn't satisfying some need of yours. The question is - what do you feel drawn towards for your next mod?
 darthtyren
07-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Well, I do like the idea of storyline mods, but I'm nowhere near being able to do that. I'm trying to build my skills up to that point. I was just wondering what the next step was.
 newbiemodder
07-05-2011, 11:44 AM
If you want to improve your skills, there's only one way to do it...jump right in. If you want to do a storyline mod, but don't think you are ready, I suggest this.....

Take on a big-small project...like adding a new area to an existing area. You will then work with all the tools and learn which files to use, what goes where, etc. You will learn to skin, script, dialogs....It doesn't have to be extensive but a way for you to learn your skills and get comfortable doing it. If you have questions, there are thousands of threads at lucas forums and I can say with pretty good confidence that any problem or question you have has been asked before.
 Darth InSidious
07-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Well, I do like the idea of storyline mods, but I'm nowhere near being able to do that. I'm trying to build my skills up to that point. I was just wondering what the next step was.

Learn to script, and about the mechanics of the game. There are far too few competent scripters and also far too few people who really understand how the game works.
 darthtyren
07-05-2011, 4:45 PM
Hmm... I'm thinking on one big idea, and I'm wondering how much attention it would get.

Jedi Apprentice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Jedi_Apprentice)
 ChAiNz.2da
07-05-2011, 5:01 PM
If you're hurting for ideas, or just have the itch to mod "something":

http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635)

It's where I always go. It was the reason the Kreia Robes mod ever got made ;)
 darthtyren
07-05-2011, 5:24 PM
I was trying to get input on the idea that I had.
 Snard
07-05-2011, 6:44 PM
I was trying to get input on the idea that I had.

Uh... I think that that is a little TOO big for you, since youre still learning. I would try what newbiemodder suggested.
 Sith Holocron
07-05-2011, 6:56 PM
Learn to script, and about the mechanics of the game. There are far too few competent scripters and also far too few people who really understand how the game works.

On the other hand, DI makes a good point!
 darthtyren
07-05-2011, 9:18 PM
I am working on that stuff, I just put the idea out there for something I might do in the future.
Page: 1 of 1