Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Item Placing

Page: 1 of 1
 Fallen Guardian
02-27-2011, 5:35 PM
How do you find the X,Y,Z coordinates in Kotor 1 and Kotor 2 to place something on top of a table or somewhere you normally can't get to, like behind a bar.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
02-27-2011, 9:02 PM
Hmmm, this is interesting.... I do know, but I have an idea you could check. When stuck on Telos in the apartment, there is a communication device on the desktop. This may be a placeable entity in-and-of-itself, or it may be a generic desk with a placed item on it. Go to that room, and then use your whereami armband to get the coordinates... IIRC, the armband gives a wealth of information besides your whereami coords, including the nearest door, placeable, etc. From that you could gather some information about that desk.

Then, I feel like you would need to look at the .git with KGFF, looking for the item in question.

The z-coordinate is the vertical axis coord, which is normally 0 for things like a container or a spawned NPC. In your case, you would be looking for a z# > 0.

I really am not sure if this can be done... a little out of my experience, I am afraid, but there are many more experienced than I around these parts :p
 Fallen Guardian
02-27-2011, 9:31 PM
All right thanks. I believe that the computer on Telos is just an invisible placeable, but I'll check.
 newbiemodder
02-28-2011, 8:34 AM
It can be done, just takes a little work...paper and pencil...placeables can be placed anywhere unlike creatures that require a walkmesh...What you need to do is kind of make a grid on paper centered around your object like a table or bar.. also you will need the whereami armband or another similar application. What you do is stand at select points around the table and get your coordinates via the armband and write them down.. Once you have your pairs of coords, you can make a grid to determine the approximate x.y to put something behind or in the middle of the table. For z that may take a little more trial and error to get the exact height.
 Fallen Guardian
02-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks newbiemodder.
 Darth InSidious
03-04-2011, 2:22 PM
For KotOR I, you can get the XYZ co-ordinates by typing "whereami" (without the quotes) into the console. However, this won't give you the bearing or orientations. For that, I use Star Admiral's K1 Utility Armbands (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/;100418). This mod contains an armband which will give you the XYZ co-ordinates as well as the bearing and orientations. This is based on Darth333's whereami armband for KotOR II.

For KotOR II, use Darth333's whereami armband, which will give you XYZ co-ords, as well as the bearing and orientation. The console in K2 is invisible, which is why you can't use it to find the co-ordinates.

Now, why do you need bearing and orientations? Briefly, the Bearing is used for placeables, while the XOrientation and YOrientation are used for creatures. IIRC, Darth333's armband doesn't always give the orientations accurately, so you may alsow ant to use Glovemaster's AngleToVector Calculator (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Angle_to_Vector_Calculator;98733).
 Fallen Guardian
03-04-2011, 7:20 PM
Thanks.
 Darth InSidious
03-04-2011, 11:13 PM
I forgot to mention: some placeables will be 90 degrees out from the bearing you gave them. For some reason, they've been put on the base sideways. You'll need to take a new bearing, accounting for this.
 Fallen Guardian
03-05-2011, 11:08 AM
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
Page: 1 of 1