Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Knights The Old Republic - Family Sidequest.

Page: 1 of 1
 .:Sam:.
10-11-2010, 6:13 PM
Hello. I have decided to resume my Knights of the Old Republic modifying but on a much smaller scale than before.

Today, I would like to announce a new project that I am going to be starting (a name for it hasn't yet been decided, but I'm open for suggestions) which will take place during the events of the first Knights of the Old Republic game. It’s not going to be a ‘must have’ mod, nor will it be the next Brotherhood of Shadow – it’s going to be a short addition which will hopefully give players an hour or two’s more enjoyment from their copy of Knights of the Old Republic. (Some really good project selling skills there. ;) xD)

Anyway, I realised that Revans past isn’t really touched upon much in the expanded universe. This idea is vaguely influenced by an ‘origins’ idea I had last year. Basically my idea involves either the player’s father or childhood friend making an appearance and convincing the player to accompany them on a short investigation to solve a murder. Of course, the actual game itself will be more exciting but that is the basic plot I have in my head. I thought that this would be a good opportunity for the player to get some more EXP, Items and also learn more of Revan’s family (eg. Their reaction to him/her becoming the dark lord).

I have begun working on this project. I’ve written a small part of a script which can be read below:

Father/Friend.
The news of your survival was never publicly broadcast, but the Jedi were clumsy. I thought they would cover their tracks better, but once Darth Malak revealed to you your origins; the Jedi foolishly disclosed the information to the Republic, and believe me when I say that the Republic frequencies aren’t difficult to tap into. When I was sure that you truly were alive, I immediately begun searching for you.

- You sought me out? For all you knew, I may have still been the Dark Lord!

- I betrayed the Republic. I became a conqueror. How is it you can even look at me let alone call me family?

Father/Friend.
When I learnt that you’d become Dark Lord of the Sith, I still respected you. I always knew you would seek redemption; your heart was just too pure. There was always good in you, and I never let go of the hope that that provided. I took comfort in it when things were bad.

Father/Friend.
Then you were gone, and I was never prepared for you to die. I tried not to dwell on it too much, but whenever I went out I could see you in everybody’s faces; a reminder of the child I had neglected. The child I had never been there for. I just wish I had given you a reason to stay when the Jedi came for you.

Father/Friend.
Yet now you stand before me and I feel that the light of my life is shining once again. Just imagine how happy you would be if you lost everything and then got it back again only exactly how you wanted!

I understand it's very little, and you can't get much of an idea from it. However, as well as this, I’ve begun retexturing Yavin: Space Station which will be used as a segment of my side-quest, and it will instead be a space station above the planet Hoth:

I understand right now that this modification may not seem like something to get entirely excited about but I think with the help of a few willing people (whether it is simply to contribute ideas), this modification may hold some potential. If you're interested, feel free to drop me a PM or post your thoughts in this thread.

~ .:Sam:.
 Rtas Vadum
10-11-2010, 7:09 PM
An interesting idea. However, I'd suggest having Revan also be able to justify why he/she fell, along with giving reason why he/she chose it again(should the player chose a darkside playthrough). I don't exactly mean just having a "I never fell. I chose it." line, having a few plausible reasons, left for a potential player to chose.

I can help with some of the dialogue, if you wish. :)
 Phildevil
10-11-2010, 8:40 PM
- Notice the issue in the picture #5. The walls have an orange glow which is emmited from Yavin, however the Lightmaps for Yavin are impossible to work with as Bioware never actually compiled them and left them in the texture packs. >.<

Maybe you could have orange lights? That would "explain" the orange glow without remembering Yavin...
 harIII
10-11-2010, 8:42 PM
or you can take the lightmaps that have an orange tint to them and recolor them an appropriate color
 Phildevil
10-12-2010, 2:02 AM
I am no modder, but...
- Notice the issue in the picture #5. The walls have an orange glow which is emmited from Yavin, however the Lightmaps for Yavin are impossible to work with as Bioware never actually compiled them and left them in the texture packs. >.<
 harIII
10-12-2010, 9:22 AM
Oh, well then you would have to do some other tricks. I would probably change the light textures to be an orangish color or create a sphere model and import it into the module as a sun.
 Slstoev
10-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Will this be compatible with the Lost Ones mod? So I suggest you go for the friend option so as not to conflict with Yatsookey's mod if they're both installed of course.
10-13-2010, 9:11 AM
An interesting idea. However, I'd suggest having Revan also be able to justify why he/she fell, along with giving reason why he/she chose it again(should the player chose a darkside playthrough). I don't exactly mean just having a "I never fell. I chose it." line, having a few plausible reasons, left for a potential player to chose.

I can help with some of the dialogue, if you wish. :)

Yes I agree with that idea. I want to give the player freedom above anything when conversing, so to introduce some plausible options which may allow the player to justify past choices or even defend them will be essential in making this modification as enjoyable as possible.

I would appreciate any help I can get. :) It'd be good to have more then one person contributing on the story so I'll get in touch with you at some stage or the other and we'll discuss it further, or you can contact me; whatever you'd prefere. :)

Oh, well then you would have to do some other tricks. I would probably change the light textures to be an orangish color or create a sphere model and import it into the module as a sun.

It's possible. I myself also contemplated this idea but the issue lies in the fact that Hoth dosen't have a sun which would create an obvious glow inside the space station. I think my best option is to do what Phildevil said and do some lights in that area. Of course, I could also take the lightmap approach. With great effort, the correct ones to edit would eventually make themselves known. Perhaps in future someone with an educated background working with lightmaps will offer a final solotion to this issue, until then I won't prioritise on it.

Will this be compatible with the Lost Ones mod? So I suggest you go for the friend option so as not to conflict with Yatsookey's mod if they're both installed of course.

Well I can't promise anything at such an early stage of development, and if the idea of using a father is already taken by "The Lost Ones", I will lean toward the idea of a friend instead as to avoid any unnecessary conflicts.
 Slstoev
10-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Please include the Father/Friend version as a separate please so people who do not plan to install "The Lost Ones" mod fully enjoy this one.
10-18-2010, 1:39 PM
Sorry about the lack of updates, but I'm going to have to put this project indefinitely on hold for the time being beacuse of this. Right after announcing this my computer broke. Such a shame! I was really eager to get started on this but all 4 of my harddrives went corrupt (rotten luck) and I lost everything on them ranging from school work all the way to Knights of the Old Republic.

I'm really sorry but my top priority will be to get the computer going again before I return to this project. Sorry once again!

LDR
10-18-2010, 4:38 PM
I know what that's like. My two other computers broke with all my mods on them. A lot of people were dissapointed when I said I had to restart my prison ship mod. I haven't gotten back to it for three reasons: 1.) Halo Reach is so addictive. 2.) Real life problems such as school. 3.) My kotor games won't use the cheat system no matter what I try, and my kotor 2 won't even start! (It won't go to the main menu in the game)

You have nothing to be sorry about. Technical errors happen to everybody, without notice. You never know when this happens. Try to back up your files with a floppy disk so you don't have to start from scratch. Something I never did :P.
 Dak Drexl
10-18-2010, 5:10 PM
I hardly even notice the orange glow... maybe if you make the walls grey with a blueish tint it can 1. take away some from the orange and 2. make it look "cooler", as Hoth obviously is supposed to be. Could totally not work at all, but it's a thought that I would play with a bit.
10-22-2010, 8:27 AM
I know what that's like. My two other computers broke with all my mods on them. A lot of people were dissapointed when I said I had to restart my prison ship mod. I haven't gotten back to it for three reasons: 1.) Halo Reach is so addictive. 2.) Real life problems such as school. 3.) My kotor games won't use the cheat system no matter what I try, and my kotor 2 won't even start! (It won't go to the main menu in the game)

You have nothing to be sorry about. Technical errors happen to everybody, without notice. You never know when this happens. Try to back up your files with a floppy disk so you don't have to start from scratch. Something I never did :P.

Oh really? That's bad luck. It is a pain when that happens though! I've not had a chance at playing Halo Reach yet myself!

Well I've got my harddrives running again and resinstalled KOTOR, and I've got a week off school so I'll resume this project now. I was done quicker then I thought. So start expecting updates!
 SkyWoulf
01-06-2011, 3:25 PM
how about re skin the space station to an abandoned space shipyard/dock? that way u could have external lighting that refelects the orange glow. kinda like the sodium arc lights used in interstate highways.
Page: 1 of 1