Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why I won't be playing TOR.

Page: 2 of 3
 Alexrd
07-01-2010, 2:45 PM
I just can't see me taking my character seriously.

My general experience is: Star Wars + Kid's Animation/Manga = :migraine:

They just don't mix well for me.

What are we supposed to do, then? :)
 VeniVidiVicous
07-01-2010, 2:48 PM
What are we supposed to do, then? :)

Sympathise with me and tell me you know how I feel! :lol:

Seriously thiugh, I am curious if i'm the only one who thinks these 2 things don't mix?

Wouldn't this game be much better if it didn't look like a kids cartoon?
 Alexrd
07-01-2010, 2:52 PM
Wouldn't this game be much better if it didn't look like a kids cartoon?

I don't understand the "kids cartoon" part.
 VeniVidiVicous
07-01-2010, 3:05 PM
I don't understand the "kids cartoon" part.

Ok, this is gameplay screenshot from the upcoming mmo.

http://www.gx.com.sg/Admin/Storage/Data/UploadedPicture/Blog/star-wars-the-old-republic-screenshot-jedi-force-choke.jpg)

And this is from the last kotor which came out 6 years ago.

http://ui05.gamespot.com/1316/kotor2004_2.jpg)

Out of these 2 images which do you think looks better suited to a SW mmo?
 Tommycat
07-01-2010, 3:12 PM
Neither. The screenshot you posted was one of the EARLY screenshots. You can tell by the "Pringles Saber"

Try this one
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.massively.com/media/2009/12/ss_20091211_sithinquisitor01_full.jpg)

or this one
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.massively.com/media/2008/11/darkandlight-sms-1108.jpg)
 VeniVidiVicous
07-01-2010, 3:30 PM
 Tommycat
07-01-2010, 3:36 PM
So you prefer lightsabers that didn't connect, repeated flat landscapes, narrowly defined walking areas, very small worlds, expressionless faces, and a total of 30 faces for the entire game, to TOR? Then there's not much point in discussion is there. You won't be swayed.
 VeniVidiVicous
07-01-2010, 3:55 PM
So you prefer lightsabers that didn't connect, repeated flat landscapes, narrowly defined walking areas, very small worlds, expressionless faces, and a total of 30 faces for the entire game, to TOR? Then there's not much point in discussion is there. You won't be swayed.

As i've stated many times now, it's the cartoony characters that i'm not into.

All of the things you just mentioned are not relevant to the point I was trying to make.
 Alexrd
07-01-2010, 4:14 PM
So, you don't like the cartoon look and you think cartoons are for kids. We can't do anything.
 truJedi
07-01-2010, 6:15 PM
Its ok Veni ...." You are not alone, I am here with you " haha i know exactly what you mean buddy - And so does ALEXRD lol . It looks SILLY the way they have created it all, unless your playing a game thats based on a cartoon show / movie, e.g Naruto or Dragon Ball Z.

I though one of the main points of the game was to try and make it look as realistic as possible unless thats the look they purposly are going for. I will say the movies look so amazing though ) :) but , theres nothing we can do to change it.

And btw The Incredibles movie was awwssoommee, im still waiting for the next one :)
 Tommycat
07-01-2010, 7:14 PM
As i've stated many times now, it's the cartoony characters that i'm not into.

All of the things you just mentioned are not relevant to the point I was trying to make.

The "cartoony" characters in my opinion look better than the characters in KotOR(IMHO). But if you want a more realistic look you might look at SWG. And you did ask which looked better suited to an SW MMO. And quite frankly I think the realistic combat helps immersion better than early production cartoon looks detract from it. They have gotten a bit better.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.massively.com/media/2009/11/ss_20091113_imperialagent02_full.jpg)
 LordJhredmo
07-01-2010, 8:39 PM

This.

KotOR (one and two) will not hold a graphical candle to SW:TOR. I'm with Tommycat and Alexrd here. SW:TOR will be the first game I'll be paying a monthly sub for due to what I've seen while I've been following the game (the guild I'm in has also contributed to my hype).

I loved of Veni chose the most earliest screenshot as an example of the graphics of SW:TOR (that have been overhauled on many occasions and most likely will several more times before we reach launch). You're pretty dead-set, Veni, so I don't quite see the point of your debating the game at all. :confused:

WoW may be considering moving to a F2P style based on what they're seeing with Turbine's and other MMOs' numbers, so that may not be completely out of the question for SW:TOR. :¬:
 JediAthos
07-02-2010, 9:33 AM
I've played most of the current major MMO's out there with the exception of Everquest. Out of all of them it is well known that the most successful is WoW, and the reason for that is that clearly Blizzard has done a good number of things right.

For me, the graphics are not a problem, but then I am a "veteran" MMO player and as such probably used to it. At the same time I'm sure Bioware and LucasArts considered many different things before they chose a presentation style including what they thought would work, and the success or lack thereof of their predecessors in the MMO genre. If you don't like it ya don't like and there's little I can do I'm sure to persuade you otherwise.

I could say the same thing regarding the combat system. Bioware and LA had to look at something they thought would work. WoW was not the first game to use the combat system it uses nor will it be the last. What I think will make TOR fun are the unique combat abilities available in the Star Wars universe including lightsaber combat, the bounty hunter jetpack, the Force etc...At the same time the same could be said for WoW as well but several of the abilities in WoW are very similar to D&D and other rpgs...

As for the subscription...well it is a necessary evil. Software sales alone are not enough to maintain servers, pay support staff, pay developers and whatnot especially over an extended period of time. Even Free to play games such as DDO have a subscription system available and microtransactions. The expenses of maintaining and MMO are massive and while paying is unattractive to some there are many that fail to understand why they subscription system is there. (not saying its anyone here, but I've run across plenty.)
 TheRogueForums
07-02-2010, 4:55 PM
As of right now, the only thing that will prevent me from playing the game past the first month will be how much money I have to pay to play it. As a rule, I do not play games with monthly subscriptions. I've already bought the game, why should I have to pay more, just to play it?

Everything about TOR, so far, has enthralled me, every step of the way. I will say one thing I do not like, though- the HUD we've seen so far in the gameplay videos. However, that can most likely be altered through Textmod or something like that, so it's not *that* huge of an issue.
 The-Seraphim
07-02-2010, 7:49 PM
As of right now, the only thing that will prevent me from playing the game past the first month will be how much money I have to pay to play it. As a rule, I do not play games with monthly subscriptions. I've already bought the game, why should I have to pay more, just to play it?

So the company can keep the servers up and pay their employees to make updates and expansions maybe?
 JediAthos
07-02-2010, 8:31 PM
So the company can keep the servers up and pay their employees to make updates and expansions maybe?

QFT...as I stated previously maintenance over time of an MMO including hardware upgrades, software, development staff, admins, account management customer service etc...costs money that cannot be made merely off software alone particularly if the game continues to exist for years after its initial release (a la WoW). That money is certainly not pure profit.
 Tommycat
07-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Not to mention many games with monthly fees ALSO add FREE* content. You get MORE content than you would from a simple single player game. It may be as simple as events, and equipment, or as in the case of SWG completely NEW content at no additional charge.

Imagine how much you would have to pay if BioWare released TOR as 8 single player games. In order to get the whole game with 8 class stories you would have to pay $480. For HALF that you have a year of play(assuming $60 for the game, and $15/month), the whole game, multi-player, and far more content than they could package into a multi-DVD pack. Even as little content as SWG has, it's more content than any SP game I played. And WoW has TONS more(I just don't like swords and boards).

Imagine if KotORII could have had that kind of freedom to add content. We wouldn't have had the crappy ending that left you going "um... is that it?" By their very nature an MMO has to keep you WANTING to play. So continuing to add content becomes necessary.

*free meaning without a second purchase, as the monthly fee covers that.
 VeniVidiVicous
07-05-2010, 2:22 AM
Its ok Veni ...." You are not alone, I am here with you " haha i know exactly what you mean buddy - And so does ALEXRD lol . It looks SILLY the way they have created it all, unless your playing a game thats based on a cartoon show / movie, e.g Naruto or Dragon Ball Z.

Thanks for being here for me. :lol:
Your Dragon Ball Z anology perfectly explains where i'm coming from.

I though one of the main points of the game was to try and make it look as realistic as possible unless thats the look they purposly are going for. I will say the movies look so amazing though ) :) but , theres nothing we can do to change it.

I agree with you on the two trailers, I think they look cool. I'm just not as blown away by how the actual game looks.

KotOR (one and two) will not hold a graphical candle to SW:TOR. I'm with Tommycat and Alexrd here. SW:TOR will be the first game I'll be paying a monthly sub for due to what I've seen while I've been following the game (the guild I'm in has also contributed to my hype).

TSl came out 6 years ago, of course this game that's coming out late next year should be graphically better. I was argueing that the style is worse.

I loved of Veni chose the most earliest screenshot as an example of the graphics of SW:TOR (that have been overhauled on many occasions and most likely will several more times before we reach launch). You're pretty dead-set, Veni, so I don't quite see the point of your debating the game at all. :confused:

Honestly, I googled "tor jedi gameplay footage" and "TSL jedi gameplay footage" and those were the first few images that I saw.
I'm debating because i think that this game could be unbelieveably good but it looks like Bioware are missing a good oppourtunity here.

WoW may be considering moving to a F2P style based on what they're seeing with Turbine's and other MMOs' numbers, so that may not be completely out of the question for SW:TOR. :¬:

I doubt Bioware will make it F2P. If Blizzard are clever they'll do this close to the release date of TOR.

The "cartoony" characters in my opinion look better than the characters in KotOR(IMHO). But if you want a more realistic look you might look at SWG. And you did ask which looked better suited to an SW MMO. And quite frankly I think the realistic combat helps immersion better than early production cartoon looks detract from it. They have gotten a bit better.

I agree with you on the combat helping immersion. I will say this though, don't you think it's odd that the older SW mmo will have a more realistic look?

So, you don't like the cartoon look and you think cartoons are for kids. We can't do anything.

We? You work for Bioware?? :raise:
I'm just stating my opinions man. :)

Imagine if KotORII could have had that kind of freedom to add content. We wouldn't have had the crappy ending that left you going "um... is that it?" By their very nature an MMO has to keep you WANTING to play. So continuing to add content becomes necessary.

You do know that Lucas Arts forced Obsidian to rush the release of TSL yeah?
 Prime
07-05-2010, 9:15 AM
You do know that Lucas Arts forced Obsidian to rush the release of TSL yeah?That's kind of a half truth. Obsidian also planned poorly for the time they had, which they admitted.
 Feagildin
07-05-2010, 10:02 AM
I like the new look of the Old Republic era. Minus the clone armor for Republic troops. Other than that, I think this game is going to be amazing, graphics included. I will be playing, even if I didn't like the graphics as much as previous games. Honestly, seeing the post with a TSL pic and a TOR pic next to each other, I am even more excited and seriously can't wait for this game to be released!
 VeniVidiVicous
07-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Obsidian also planned poorly for the time they had, which they admitted.

I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

I like the new look of the Old Republic era. Minus the clone armor for Republic troops. Other than that, I think this game is going to be amazing, graphics included. I will be playing, even if I didn't like the graphics as much as previous games. Honestly, seeing the post with a TSL pic and a TOR pic next to each other, I am even more excited and seriously can't wait for this game to be released!

In a lot of ways I think they're doing the right thing. It just dosen't look different enough from the other mmo's for me to be intrested.
 Ztalker
07-06-2010, 8:45 AM
In a lot of ways I think they're doing the right thing. It just dosen't look different enough from the other mmo's for me to be intrested.

Well, it's difficult to do something different I guess. That goes for more genres.

I once named Guild Wars that did stuff differently, but even they had a static fight system, skills leveling, armor crafting and the standard stuff.

Maybe it's not the 'core' that's different, but merely the stuff Bioware is doing with that core gameplay. Peronalised transportation, fully voiced over game, cover system, fast-paced action (I was VERY pleased with the last demo video. It showed the healer character was able to do some Melee work while healing, the smuggler was too. WoW is VERY static when it comes to do this. As a caster you stand and spam 1-8 on your keybord).

The style, I still don't know. Too much prequel-looking for me. But I felt that way about TSL as well, with the modern robes and such. Maybe it'll come in time.
 VeniVidiVicous
07-06-2010, 4:50 PM
Well, it's difficult to do something different I guess. That goes for more genres.

I once named Guild Wars that did stuff differently, but even they had a static fight system, skills leveling, armor crafting and the standard stuff.

I only recently discovered the system for pre-cu SWG of building your character. It is quite different to other mmo's and was quite impressed by it.
There are ways to do things differently but a lot of companies don't want to risk too much with their releases I suppose.

Maybe it's not the 'core' that's different, but merely the stuff Bioware is doing with that core gameplay. Peronalised transportation, fully voiced over game, cover system, fast-paced action (I was VERY pleased with the last demo video. It showed the healer character was able to do some Melee work while healing, the smuggler was too. WoW is VERY static when it comes to do this. As a caster you stand and spam 1-8 on your keybord).

I agree that WoW is an incredibly unintuitive combat experience, hopefully the more Bioware realise this the more they'll try to make their combat that much better. As it stands right now.. it's still kind of lacking imo.

The style, I still don't know. Too much prequel-looking for me. But I felt that way about TSL as well, with the modern robes and such. Maybe it'll come in time.

Well the robe thing in TSL was good i thought, I never liked the jedi/sith clothing in kotor 1, it just looked a bit of a mess.

I hope the more they expand the game the more intuitive the combat gets and more based on realism the character graphics get.
 jonathan7
07-19-2010, 12:35 PM
On topic, I was not, and still am not happy that SW:TOR is a MMO, I'm a single player gamer by nature. However I don't see the point on judging the game now, if once it is release there are free 7 day trials and what not, I really don't see the point in having an attitude which is "I'm not going to play that" without having at least played a free demo. I for one despite by sceptical will but this scepticism asside and give any free demo's a chance. I don't like MMO's but if anything was going to get me to play one it would be Star Wars...

j7's humble 2 cents.
 dswtor
07-28-2010, 2:16 PM
honestly im not expecting this game to be like any of the KOTORs when blizzard made world of warcraft was it similar to warcraft? no. but this dosnt mean its going to be a bad game.
 truJedi
07-28-2010, 7:17 PM
im not going to play it because its an MMO , simple. doesnt matter if there is a 7 day
free trial .....meh . :)
 swphreak
07-28-2010, 7:59 PM
Yeah, I don't think I'll be playing TOR. Just another MMO, but Star Wars.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll be a good MMO, I'm just not interested in playing an MMO.

MMO.
 Ztalker
08-27-2010, 1:57 PM
The character designs look like something out of a low budget saturday morning cartoon. SWTOR offers nothing innovative to the genre despite their insistent behavior over how unique the story unfolds. While I am not a huge fan of the Force Unleashed, I would much rather see a Star Wars MMO similar in design and gameplay. Dark, gritty, over the top and set during a timeline most of us grew up loving.

Imo, The Force Unleashed is a collection of forced clichés in a canon-raping story. It's a good game, don't get me wrong. But it has nothing the old trilogy has. I don't think it gets much love from the first-hour fans. I mean....cloning, Vader, Yoda, reverse-grip lightsaber...it's an explosion of nerdgasm.
Swtor is trying to create a setting based on the movies and is much more subtle in doing so. It's using the movies as inspiration, not using everything IN the movies.

It is over-the-top epic though, have to give you that. But we haven't seen the lv 60 powers from ToR either...
 Miltiades
08-27-2010, 2:39 PM
I, personally, am done with stories set in the timeline most of us grew up loving. That whole era has been milked out, whether it's in games, novels, comics or tv series, and none of it ever came close to the quality of the original trilogy.

I'm glad some people are steering away from this era, though not everyone is using that freedom to its full capacity. SWTOR is more than 3,000 years before the movies, but it still tries to connect as much as possible to the movies and in my opinion, actually not in a subtle way. Tie Fighters, Clone Troopers, Boba Fett, Moffs, Hoth, these are some of the results of the movies "inspiring" SWTOR.

I don't agree on SWTOR being better had they adapted a more action-y gameplay à la The Force Unleashed. I have only played a bit of TFU, but there's hardly much depth in its gameplay, something that I think is needed for games in the MMO genre. And I'm not pro-over the top gameplay, myself. Agreed, it's disappointing that SWTOR isn't trying to innovate when it comes to MMO gameplay (and keeps hiding behind the "story pillar" as if that was the one thing that was missing from MMO's) and it's precisely that aspect that will make or break the game, no matter how much effort they put into their storytelling. But I still prefer traditional MMO gameplay over TFU-based gameplay.
 JediAthos
08-28-2010, 9:00 AM
I don't think that Bioware has to innovate anything in order to make this game a success. Why would they go out on a limb and try and design something completely new when they don't have to? All they have to do is do it in an outstanding fashion and they will draw subscribers. Blizzard didn't innovate a blasted thing when they brought out WoW, they simply did what everyone else was doing but they did it better, but then I'm an avid MMO player and I saw the difference between WoW and its predecessors.

For those concerned there's too much movie influence...what did you expect? I mean really, what did you honestly think they were going to do? This game, like any other product, has targeted demographics. Some of that is MMO players, some of that is OT fans, some of that is people who love the prequels(god help me there are some out there), some of that is KOTOR fans, etc...They have to use elements that Star Wars fans are familiar with but at the same time elements that someone who has never picked up a Star Wars game, book, or movie(god help me there are some of those too) can relate to.

I don't really think Bioware is "hiding" behind anything. They have been straight forward that they want to bring their kind of story telling to the Star Wars universe and the MMO genre. Say what you wish about Bioware's stories following "patterns" or whatever, but imho they still tell compelling stories in their games and that is evident by their game sales and critical success. I will definitely be playing TOR at some point even though there are things I dislike(the space combat for starters)I'm willing to give them a chance.
 Miltiades
08-28-2010, 3:06 PM
I get that they need to attract as many people as possible. But as far as I know, the same was true for KotOR. And KotOR, while having very recognizable elements from Star Wars in it, was far more subtle than TOR seems to be. Besides, attracting Star Wars fans, whether they played KotOR or not, is as easy as showing lightsabers and having the pew pew pew sound. Combine that with BioWare's reputation, I'm sure they've got a lot of Star Wars fans in the bag, so making the game more unique, in my opinion, wouldn't have been a risk.

Convincing the Star Wars fans never was the main obstacle, I think, rather convincing the MMO fans is. At a time where developers start to experiment with the MMO genre and games like Guild Wars 2 crop up, it's hard to defend the traditional road BioWare is taking. The question is: will the Star Wars brand and the storyline(s) be enough to warrant the MMO players' backing?
 JediAthos
08-28-2010, 4:08 PM
A solid point about KOTOR Miltiades and I think they Jedi thing is probably what drew people to KOTOR and will indeed by the thing that draws many SW fans to TOR.

As far as MMO players go..I think the biggest thing they have to overcome is Star Wars Galaxies and the way Sony $%*#@$ that up. Hopefully they will realize that Bioware is NOT SOE.
 adamqd
08-29-2010, 3:44 AM
As far as MMO players go..I think the biggest thing they have to overcome is Star Wars Galaxies and the way Sony $%*#@$ that up. Hopefully they will realize that Bioware is NOT SOE.

^^ This ^^
 Ztalker
08-31-2010, 3:33 PM
@ Miltiades:
It's not as subtle as I had hoped no. The fighters and stuff just resemble the OT stuff a little too much. Kotor distanced itself a bit more.
If you look at the Tales of the Jedi comics though, that's a giant leap away.

In some way, we all want a naughty astromech droid, crew ship, bitchy princess, overpowered hairy alien and lightsaber and/or blaster....
 dswtor
08-31-2010, 4:50 PM
im liken where the games going with this space combat...
 Prime
09-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Why?
 Ztalker
09-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Why?

C-mon Prime. Everyone likes 90's on-rails shooters...wait. No. No-one does. Bah.
 Tommycat
09-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Looks like I'll be avoiding the space content... I'll wait until there's something in it that actually gives a reason it's online instead of what could be a downloadable demo. It's that kind of game that's fun for a bit, but after a while after repeating it got old. Like the Star Wars arcade game. I used to play that before movies... I certainly wouldn't have played it for much longer than wasting time before the movie starts. After beating it one time, it just feels like boring repetition.
 Lord Foley
11-04-2010, 2:19 PM
The rail-shooting in TOR cannot be worse than the space combat in KotOR. What a cheap pain in the ass that always was. Not interesting, not hard, not fun. TOR space combat reminds me a lot of that, except that it looks aesthetically pleasing. I'll take it for what it is.
 Nedak
11-05-2010, 7:35 PM
Just watched this video:
http://swtor.com/media/trailers/warzones)

After seeing that I probably won't be playing the game too much.
 RogueJedi86
06-30-2011, 6:36 PM
Has the stuff on flashpoints and operations helped people's opinions? We've finally been seeing the MMO part of MMORPG for TOR.
 Pho3nix
06-30-2011, 7:11 PM
 Scars Unseen
08-17-2011, 5:04 AM
Imo, The Force Unleashed is a collection of forced clichés in a canon-raping story. It's a good game, don't get me wrong. But it has nothing the old trilogy has. I don't think it gets much love from the first-hour fans. I mean....cloning, Vader, Yoda, reverse-grip lightsaber...it's an explosion of nerdgasm.
Swtor is trying to create a setting based on the movies and is much more subtle in doing so. It's using the movies as inspiration, not using everything IN the movies.

It is over-the-top epic though, have to give you that. But we haven't seen the lv 60 powers from ToR either...

I think I am on the opposite side of the coin from your opinion. I think that TFU's story itself(haven't played the sequel) was serviceable enough given that a lot of the time between RotS and ANH is unknown, but the gameplay was utter crap. They ballooned the force powers up to the point where they were barely recognizable while simultaneously using an arcade beat-em-up model that made the lightsaber look only slightly less effective than the baseball bat in Double Dragon. Throw in the stupid QT finishers that I found annoying enough in God of War, and I quickly realized that the only thing that kept me playing the game was the story. Definitely glad I waited for the game to hit the bargain bins.

But at least TFU had a good reason for ripping off the aesthetic of the movies. It took place in the same era. SWTOR has no such excuse. So while the stylized graphics doesn't bother me as much as it does the OP(though still not my preference), the lazy choice to rip off the movies rather than come up with their own aesthetic (which they had already developed in KOTOR!) does. Does it bother me enough to prevent me from buying the game? Perhaps not on its own, but it does act as a bit of a warning sign that SWTOR might not be the kind of game I'm interested in. So I'm taking a wait and see stance at the moment.

EDIT: annnnd I just realized that I only looked at the month of that post and not the year. Aren't my cheeks red.
 Master Finch
08-22-2011, 2:19 AM
Interesting. I understand what you're saying about the graphics, but, they will no doubt grow on you. I was a bit iffy about The Clone Wars at first, and I get a bit iffy about lightsabers not being able to cut through stuff. But I adapted and I made excuses for that (cortosis, etc.) and realistically, you shouldn't moan about this stuff before you've actually given the game a try.

It's not all about the graphics, it's about the content. I've played games like WoW which involves repeatedly spining around in circles hitting someone 82 times in the face with a battleaxe and they still won't die, whilst listening to 200 different sound effects from other players until the opponent finally submits to the 9,000 cuts and bruises he's sustained and keels over, dead.

With the combat, I think it looks pretty good. I know a lot of people don't really like how high-tech some of the equipment people are using is, but you have to remember that this is set 4,000 years before Star Wars IV. That's 4,000 years before The Phantom Menace if you round it up, so it's a completely alien time to the Star Wars we now know, and some of this tech might've vanished.

Like in Halo: Reach for example. They had amazing technology and upgrades and stuff, but it all went with time.

I think the main thing really is this:

Don't bitch until you've played it.
 Klw
08-22-2011, 12:25 PM
I won't be playing it because it's an MMO. Have you ever heard of the "WoW Freakout Kid?" I have no doubt that I would turn into that kid if I ever picked up an MMO. I can get extremely addicted to much less immersive games like turn-based rpg's and rts's, all single-player even. The only games I will even touch nowadays are single-player story adventure games like TFU that actually end at some point. The less replayability the better. If this game were like TFU I would be drooling over it.
 Master Finch
08-22-2011, 3:11 PM
I won't be playing it because it's an MMO. Have you ever heard of the "WoW Freakout Kid?" I have no doubt that I would turn into that kid if I ever picked up an MMO. I can get extremely addicted to much less immersive games like turn-based rpg's and rts's, all single-player even. The only games I will even touch nowadays are single-player story adventure games like TFU that actually end at some point. The less replayability the better. If this game were like TFU I would be drooling over it.

But World of Warcraft MAKES you addicted. It DEMANDS all your time to be able to play it. I don't think SW:TOR will be like that.
 RogueJedi86
08-26-2011, 3:57 PM
Klw, the WoW Freakout Kid was faking it. WoW doesn't turn you into a moron. If you act like that you already had problems before that. Don't think that kid is indicative of how MMO players are or what MMOs can do to you.

I'm sure I could make unfair assessments on non-MMO players too. Like Kroyt's Rage for FPS players(warning, salty language, as expected for a video of FPS players): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG42S_PmRs4)
 Klw
08-26-2011, 9:53 PM
1. I insulted you by admitting that I have a tendency to get addicted to video games? If anything, I insulted myself. I never made a single "assessment" about other gamers in my entire post. The only generalization that I made is that MMO's are addictive. I stand by that statement.

2. MMO addiction is real for many players. I can come up with many more examples, including scholarly ones. In fact, I know a kid who got addicted to WoW and had to recover. I also knew a kid who was addicted to Halo. Here is some quick data: http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/2008/06/are_mmorpgs_addictive.php)

3. I don't play FPS's either, mostly because I'm terrible at them but also because I know that they are also addictive.

It is my opinion that MMO's are dangerous and can have evil consequences if you take them too far. It is also my opinion that certain types of video games, like MMO's, are more addictive than others. But that doesn't mean that I think that all WoW players are "morons." Above I was simply answering the OP's request for reasons "why I won't be playing TOR." I won't be playing it because I have a past history of video game addiction.Now I will leave this forum and go back to the TFU forum if you don't mind.
 RogueJedi86
08-27-2011, 2:11 AM
Everything has evil consequences if you take it too far. Even eating can have bad consequences if you overdo it, resulting in clogged arteries and heart attacks and heart disease. But you don't starve yourself to avoid such problems. The same applies to addictions of any sort. There's no such thing as a good addiction, that's why the word has such bad connotations these days. You name it, there's someone out there addicted to it. There's even people addicted to random things like growing their fingernails to lengths that render them unable to do anything with their hands.

My assessment remark was, like the rest of my post, focusing solely on the WoW Freakout Kid. I was saying few MMO players are like that if any, and that everything has a few freaks like that, including FPS games(hence my linked Croyt's Anger). I feel fairly sure the WoW Freakout Kid was proven fake. Sticking a remote in his butt? Come on.

I imagine TOR will be easier to not fall into the deep end on since each class has a storyline. You have obvious breaks at the end of each act(of which each class has 3) and at the end of each class' entire story.

Don't run off, you're welcome here. We're just having a spirited debate is all. :)
 Klw
08-27-2011, 2:57 AM
I'm not so sure that the WoW Freakout Kid was proven to be a fake, but I'd welcome a link that proves it. People do strange things when they are in a fit of rage. They grab the nearest object and try to destroy it or use it to destroy themselves. If that was acting then it was certainly very good acting.

I don't think we are really having a debate because all you are doing is attacking straw men with red herrings. I don't disagree with any points you've made and you don't disagree with any points I've made. No need to get spirited about anything.

Now back to the main topic: You may be right that TOR is different, but I'm not willing to risk addiction to it to find out.
Page: 2 of 3