Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Co-op & Multiplayer ?

Page: 1 of 2
 Jedi Warrior
03-09-2010, 3:24 PM
Do you think there will be co op or Multiplayer in the Force Unleashed 2 ?
 Harkonnen07
03-09-2010, 5:16 PM
Well I heard from somewhere multiplayer, but nothing about co-op.
 Alexrd
03-09-2010, 5:35 PM
Yes. On an interview, they gave a hint about multiplayer, but nothing about co-op.
 Jeff
03-09-2010, 6:36 PM
Well nothing is confirmed, but there are rumors about "online support", which makes me think multiplayer. Dunno if it will be co-op or competitive though. Some kind of "horde mode" like from Gears of War 2 where you and a friend take on waves of enemies would be pretty fun.
 Ghost
03-09-2010, 9:31 PM
Hmm, but then it would kinda ruin the fun of Single Player, pwning everybody by yourself. I would be all for a MP though, if it was made Jedi Knight Style.
 LordOfTheFish
03-09-2010, 10:11 PM
I vote both. But I'm going to agree with Jeff, an individual co-op mode would be best.
 Shem
03-10-2010, 3:32 PM
If you do co-op, who plays along side Starkiller? :confused:
 Jedi Warrior
03-10-2010, 4:40 PM

Maris Brood/Master Kota ?
 DarthReign
03-10-2010, 4:47 PM
I think Co-op would be pointless...Starkiller is already incredibly powerful and works best without any distractions. I do really like the idea of multi-player like Jedi Academy.
 DarthSlinky
03-10-2010, 8:29 PM
We know they started multi-player for TFU 1 so I presume they will have it in TFU 2
 Zerimar Nyliram
03-10-2010, 10:13 PM

. . . Cometeater?
 Shem
03-11-2010, 6:25 AM
Maris Brood/Master Kota ?
And suggestions like that are proving my point that co-op isn't a very good idea.
 Alexrd
03-11-2010, 8:42 AM
I think Co-op would be pointless...Starkiller is already incredibly powerful and works best without any distractions.

What?

You do realise we are not talking about storywise, but about game modes, right?
 Te Darasuum Mandalor
03-11-2010, 10:21 AM
The Wii version of FU1 had multiplayer. It was called "Two Player Duel Mode" though. I only want multiplayer in FU2 though.
 Prime
03-12-2010, 9:44 AM
I'd be happy with something like the ROTS game's duel mode. Me and my friends still play that.
 Darth Eclipse
03-13-2010, 1:23 PM
Split-screen co-op would be amazing.
 DarthSlinky
03-14-2010, 10:50 AM
What enemies would you fight on co-op? It would be ridiculous...take down a AT-AT, 2 star destroyers, few hundred stormtroopers, some shadow troopers, darktroopers, incendiary troopers, commanders, a rancor, and a group of very angry mandalorians. :eek:
 Nick Vader
03-14-2010, 4:38 PM
Co-op:
I think co-op would be pretty exciting. You know, a friend comes over, you put on ForceUnleashed2 and you're able to choose between campaign or just mission. That gameplay style is from Lord of the Rings 3 : Return of the King, and it was really cool! You could play campaign missions (there were more enemies than in singleplayer ) or just a selected area full of incoming enemies.

Multiplayer:
I don't really care about multiplayer, but I think people would wanna see it in. I'd like to see some modes like Team Deathmatch or Siege, where the player would choose their jedi character and join the fight.
 Bassguy
03-17-2010, 4:50 AM
I like single player games. I would prefer it if TFU2 stayed single player.
 Darth Eclipse
03-27-2010, 9:55 AM
I like single player games. I would prefer it if TFU2 stayed single player.

Why? For the people who want co-op they should put it in. If you don't want to play co-op then don't play it.
 Ghost
03-28-2010, 8:25 PM
Co-op is so retarded, it should stay only with Lego Star Wars. TFU is meant to be a Single player game, not a two-player jockey. Now multiplayer I am liking, but only if it is Jedi Knight style. Hands down, we still love serving the massive pwnage like in the old Jedi Outcast.
 Darth Eclipse
03-30-2010, 5:16 PM
Co-op is so retarded, it should stay only with Lego Star Wars. TFU is meant to be a Single player game, not a two-player jockey. Now multiplayer I am liking, but only if it is Jedi Knight style. Hands down, we still love serving the massive pwnage like in the old Jedi Outcast.

Who is to say the TFU is meant to be SP or MP? LA can do whatever they want with it!

Personally, I love co-op games and I hope TFU 2 will have the option to play in co-op.
 Alexrd
03-30-2010, 5:32 PM
Co-op is so retarded

Because you say so? :rolleyes:
 Ghost
03-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Because you say so? :rolleyes:

No, because most co-op games fail. Republic Heroes was terrible, and it was co-op. Just so you know, this was an opinion, not really a fact.

Who is to say the TFU is meant to be SP or MP? LA can do whatever they want with it!

Personally, I love co-op games and I hope TFU 2 will have the option to play in co-op.

TFU has an engine which works only with SP, if they did co-op, they would have to do an entirely new engine. Plus sp you don't really have too much distractions and whenever I play co-op other people just screw around so for me, SP is the way to go for TFU. Plus the engine of TFU was part of why TFU was so likeable. More popularity means more profit for LA which is what the whole company is all about.

I wouldn't mind if TFU had a multiplayer mode, maybe that would be a different way of play, but the way I see it the best way they can do it is Jedi Knight Style, because still so many player play JKII and JKA multiplayer online with others, with different types of matches. Because the costumes and the different saber colors suggest they would do a Jedi Knight Style multiplayer, as this game was fast paced and had select abilities per button, which is what Jedi Knight did in the first place. This all the more suggests it probably would be Jedi Knight Style multiplayer.

Also seeing the main character wielding two lightsabers, there may be a possibility that there will be the twin-blades as well, like Jedi Academy where you can build a single hilt, two single hilts, or twin blades.
 Alexrd
03-31-2010, 11:56 AM
No, because most co-op games fail. Republic Heroes was terrible, and it was co-op.

Right... Lego Star Wars was co-op and was not a fail, NSMB was co-op and was not a fail. Your point?

TFU has an engine which works only with SP, if they did co-op, they would have to do an entirely new engine.

Source?

Plus sp you don't really have too much distractions and whenever I play co-op other people just screw around so for me, SP is the way to go for TFU.

A game may have co-op, yet you can play it singleplayer.
 Ghost
03-31-2010, 10:35 PM
Right... Lego Star Wars was co-op and was not a fail, NSMB was co-op and was not a fail. Your point?

Source?

A game may have co-op, yet you can play it singleplayer.

1. Did you not read that I said it was my opinion?

2. Source? Examine the freaking engine, TFU's engine is very similar to Jedi Knight. The movement, fast paced, power/ability arrangement, a lot more suggests it.

3. Co-op games fail at single player. You have to have some useless bot following you which doesn't do **** to help you when your in a jam. Represented in Lego Star Wars and Republic Heroes
 DarthGOGO
05-29-2010, 9:34 AM
I very much doubt there will be a co-op mode, but MP sounds very likely. Although I would love a co-op mode as well, anyone remember the epicness of Jedi Power Battles co-op?
 Darth Eclipse
05-30-2010, 3:23 PM
3. Co-op games fail at single player. You have to have some useless bot following you which doesn't do **** to help you when your in a jam. Represented in Lego Star Wars and Republic Heroes

Not necessarily. Look at all of the Halo games. You can play co-op in all of them but if you play SP then there isn't any extra AI.
 Ztalker
05-30-2010, 4:37 PM
Co-op could be done by having player 1 control starkiller normally while P2 has some other extra functions.
Maybe a little combat drone...or maybe tagging enemies for combo's. But that's a far stretch.

Multiplayer will probably be a duelling mode.
Maybe they could add a face/clothing editor to create your own Jedi and have a Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy multiplayer with TFU graphics en physics. Would be awesome.
So I'm guessing Multiplayer only.

Nice topic btw. Co-op in a Star Wars game. Worthwhile to think about.
 The-Seraphim
05-30-2010, 6:11 PM
The most we will get is a Jedi knight like multiplayer where you can choose to play as characters from the story: kota, vader, ect
 Ghost
05-30-2010, 6:21 PM
Well now it is like that, up to 4 player matches that was announced for Wii, I'm looking for Ps3 however
 truJedi
05-30-2010, 7:47 PM
If it was ever going to be a co-op i think it would be sweet as if Vader , The Emperor and Starkiller had a mission where they went to wipe out some wookies lol (everyone bags the wookies) would be cool to have them both at your side kicking hairy wookie but :)
 Ztalker
06-01-2010, 10:24 AM
If it was ever going to be a co-op i think it would be sweet as if Vader , The Emperor and Starkiller had a mission where they went to wipe out some wookies lol (everyone bags the wookies) would be cool to have them both at your side kicking hairy wookie but :)

Hmmm...do I smell Survival Mode?
On Kashyyk, fighting undenging waves of Wookiees with famous characters...
Non-canon as hell, but frying, slashing, teabagging Wookiees sounds awesome!
 Rinku
06-01-2010, 6:24 PM
I go for just multiplayer...But this time I hope they have more than just duels. I would like to see some Jedi Knight series multiplayer.

If possible, yet highly unlikely, I would love to see a siege mode like in JKA that was so much fun.
 AlexDM
06-02-2010, 11:03 PM
I hope it is something like Metal Gear Solid - You have to admit, Metal Gear Solid 4 had a good Multiplayer until they began to add-on some stuff that was broken...

If this game did a multiplayer like MGS4 i'd be in heaven...
 Zwier Zak
06-04-2010, 5:36 AM
I think that if they don't confirm it on e3 there will be no multiplayer. Why? Because there would be not enough time to build up the hype and convince people to preorder. Also it's not listed on the info page.
 GeneralPloKoon
06-04-2010, 5:09 PM
Co-op and multiplayer would definitely help me think about buying the game...
 Master-Kyle-Leeson09
06-12-2010, 2:10 PM
I'd like both...playing this online with other players, just like with CoDWAW co-op, would be sweet.

I'll definitely think about buying the game if they include this online co-op mode.
 SciFiGeek17
06-14-2010, 3:32 AM
Co-op & Multiplayer would be cool. It would give the game an little extra bonus. I vote for both :)
 Kurgan
06-18-2010, 12:53 AM
I wish there was, but apparently there won't be any.

If anyone is curious, this is what Multiplayer looked like in The Force Unleashed for the Wii:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS7NJoUGZko)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS7NJoUGZko)

It was just your basic 1 on 1 deathmatch duel.

Coop would be awesome, though. There's only so much replay value in a single player campaign, even if the main draw of the game is "how many creative ways can you kill stormtroopers."

So just having duels would be rather boring, but still... better that than nothing.
 Breaking Bad
06-20-2010, 2:22 PM
 AlexDM
06-20-2010, 2:41 PM
Nope what?

A Blue Castle representative told Joystiq it does not comment on potential business relationships. Today, during a Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 demo, executive producer Haden Blackman told Joystiq that the team "definitely talked about all possible features" for a Force Unleashed sequel but ultimately they decided to focus on a "really solid" single-player experience. Blackman says he personally feels that multiplayer and co-op are "hugely important" and he would be "surprised if we didn't see some multiplayer and co-op somewhere down the line" in the Star Wars: The Force Unleashed franchise.

Ever heard of an update? <.< Games do those sometimes you know and really

+1 for them working first more on a Solid single player gameplay first, before they even work on multiplayer.
 PoiuyWired
06-20-2010, 3:20 PM
Maybe they will rip us off by having these game modes unlocked via DLC...

You know, some slimeball companies will do that.
 Breaking Bad
06-20-2010, 4:08 PM
Nope what?

Nope as in; they're not going to have multiplayer or co-op for TFU2. They'll probably have it for the Wii like they did with TFU, but not for the 360/ps3/pc.

Blackman says he personally feels that multiplayer and co-op are "hugely important" and he would be "surprised if we didn't see some multiplayer and co-op somewhere down the line" in the Star Wars: The Force Unleashed franchise.

Right, but don't get your hopes up. He wasn't talking specifically about having multiplayer or co-op for TFU2. For all we know they will probably come out with TFU3 and have multiplayer/co-op for that game.

Ever heard of an update? <.< Games do those sometimes you know and really

Highly unlikely, never heard of a single player game having an update for multiplayer.

I want multiplayer for TFU2 just like everyone else, but from what I've read it's not going to happen.
 AlexDM
06-20-2010, 4:41 PM
- I think its to soon to assume that they would do a TFU3, if it was TFU3 it would probably not have to do with Starkiller...which they could do but they need to see how sales do for TFU2 first.

- They could do multiplayer for TFU2 as an update, think about it, TFU2 is using clones = Character Customization within a tank = already a good way to start multiplayer, with a cool / nice way to use customization. I will just wait and see for the future if they do or don't.
 Breaking Bad
06-20-2010, 7:11 PM
- I think its to soon to assume that they would do a TFU3, if it was TFU3 it would probably not have to do with Starkiller...which they could do but they need to see how sales do for TFU2 first.

We can only assume, I've watched multiple interviews with Haden Blackmen talking about TFU2, referring it as "The Emperor Strike Back" for his star wars force unleashed saga and hinting that it's going to be a trilogy.
 Harkonnen07
06-20-2010, 7:17 PM
The challenge rooms are still in it would seem though.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
06-21-2010, 1:19 AM
Maybe they will rip us off by having these game modes unlocked via DLC...

You know, some slimeball companies will do that.
I haven't the foggiest who you might be referring to....
 Kurgan
06-21-2010, 3:28 PM
The various folks saying that they're GLAD there is no multiplayer strike me as rather. Why is it a "good thing" that there's no multiplayer? Are they against having options in a game? I don't see how the LACK of multiplayer increases the lifespan of a game or adds replay value.

It's not like people are going to be modding new single player adventures for this title after release (no word on any modding tools, like its predecessor).

Frankly, it seems like people are just trying to deflect any possible criticisms from this game when they say stuff like that.

That said, there have been other examples of games in which no functional multiplayer was available out of the box, but was added in patches later on. Let's say the multiplayer isn't complete by the release date, but they work on it later and finish it up.

I've heard the Wii version of TFU used a different engine (along with the PS2 version) from the PS3/360/PC version. Perhaps that's why they didn't just port over the MP module. But then again, why was the Wii the ONLY one with it? It's not as if the other versions would have been incapable of having two player deathmatches on a set of basic maps (with throwable objects) using the player models and saber options already available in the game, plus a handful of powerups.

Is it because they don't see a big market for this on Xbox Live or the PS Network? After all, I'm pretty sure the Wii stuff was strictly offline. Or is there (I'm just dreaming here, I know) a new online Jedi game in the works that they're afraid this might cut into?

Then again, I think the odds are slim that, "The Old Republic" will satisfy the cravings of saberists. That game looks like it has fantastic cinematics, but the game itself looks rather cartoony, almost reminding me of Team Fortress 2 (obviously not that caricatured, but still).
 Kurgan
06-21-2010, 3:36 PM
Highly unlikely, never heard of a single player game having an update for multiplayer.

Some examples of games that added multiplayer in patches:

"Deus Ex" and LucasArts' own "Outlaws," plus "Heroes of Might and Magic IV."

Sure, I'm pessimistic, but it's not like it would be without precedent to do something like this.
Page: 1 of 2