Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Menu avatar

Page: 1 of 1
 luc500
03-01-2010, 2:14 PM
First, I'm talking about K1. My question is is there any way to get rid of Malak at the menu screen, or replace him with a differnet character?
 Queen of Night
03-01-2010, 2:18 PM
I have once tried to replace him there, but I failed. For that I would also be interested in how this works.
 luc500
03-01-2010, 2:29 PM
That'' s unfortunate. Anyone else tried this and succeeded?
 redrob41
03-04-2010, 2:06 AM
I haven't succeeded yet at completely replacing a character in the menu. I have been able to edit the model so that it looks a little different though. I use Taina's replacer tool, similar to editing any other head or body model. The files to look for are mainmenu##.mdl and .mdx. If you want more info on other peoples attempts, and/or successes, try the search feature and look for "mainmenu" (don't put a space between the words, and it should work great).

Another topic directly tied to this is the "CurSithLord" setting (again, that wonderful search feature will help).

Happy hunting :D
 harIII
03-07-2010, 4:59 PM
I have been able to "erase" Sion in TSL so that he's invisible, but like you said you want to know how to replace him and the only thing I can think of is to replace his model and skins with another; though I haven't tried yet.
 ForeverNight
03-07-2010, 5:02 PM
<---- KotOR Modeling Illiterate

Would it be possible to just rename the file you're using to replace Malak to what Malak's is supposed to be and drop it into override? Or am I totally missing something here?
 redrob41
03-09-2010, 1:08 AM
I have been able to "erase" Sion in TSL so that he's invisible, but like you said you want to know how to replace him and the only thing I can think of is to replace his model and skins with another; though I haven't tried yet.
I'm guessing that you made the alpha 1 channel 100% black, so that the default shader (invisible) gets used.

<---- KotOR Modeling Illiterate

Would it be possible to just rename the file you're using to replace Malak to what Malak's is supposed to be and drop it into override? Or am I totally missing something here?

It's possible to re-skin the textures, and they will be applied to the mainmenu model as well as the in-game model (which are two seperate models). But in the end, it is just a re-skin, and not a full replacement. I still haven't played around with any of the more advanced model editing methods (merging, linking bones or like that), so I don't know how well they'd work.
 harIII
03-09-2010, 7:08 AM
I'm guessing that you made the alpha 1 channel 100% black, so that the default shader (invisible) gets used.

Yes, this gets the model out of the main menu, also just a thought, this would allow you to edit the background picture if that would do what you want.
 ForeverNight
03-09-2010, 9:14 PM
It's possible to re-skin the textures, and they will be applied to the mainmenu model as well as the in-game model (which are two seperate models). But in the end, it is just a re-skin, and not a full replacement. I still haven't played around with any of the more advanced model editing methods (merging, linking bones or like that), so I don't know how well they'd work.

Ah, I was figuring there was a reason this hadn't been done, and it didn't take a modeling illiterate to point out the idea. Thanks :)
 Hunters Run
03-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Well, theoretically you might be able to replace the supermodel by renaming another one to something like mainmenu ## 5 or so and changing the curSithLord to correspond with the number. Please note, this is an untested theory and there is a chance it won't work.
Page: 1 of 1