Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is the PS1 version any good?

Page: 1 of 1
 DeadYorick
12-31-2008, 10:35 PM
I recently got the opportunity to buy Dark Forces 1 on the PS1. Since I loath using D0Sbox I was thinking of buying it. The question is however. How does the PS1 version of Dark Forces compare to the D0s version?
 Zwier Zak
01-09-2009, 4:44 AM
The look about the same. I belive that some of the textures are blured moore. But nothing big.
 DeadYorick
01-10-2009, 7:30 PM
The look about the same. I belive that some of the textures are blured moore. But nothing big.

I meant control wise and how is the famerate on the PS1 compared to the PC. Since Doom had horrible frame rate on the PS1 compared to the PC. Plus it's textures were so badly done
 GeneralPloKoon
01-10-2009, 10:22 PM
I thought the PS1 version was the greatest version in terms of graphics and controls.
 DeadYorick
02-23-2009, 2:28 AM
Alright I just got Dark Forces for my Ps1 (I played it on my Ps2). My predictions are mostly the same.

1. It's control scheme was what I expected. After buying and eventually selling Quake 2 for my Ps1 (I eventually got it for my 360) I noticed the control scheme was centered around the thumb buttons and not the R and L buttons. I really wish they could have allowed you to map your own controls though.

2. The graphics were fairly similar to the Dos version to my surprise. The overall fuzziness from the Dos version was still there sadly, though it played almost exactly the same

3. Frame rate was possibly the worst part of this game. The frame rate can dip into the single digits from time to time. Especially when you are in the middle of a firefight with 3 or more enemies.

4. Presentation wise. I generally liked it. It was almost a straight port from the Dos version. Plus I liked how it allowed you to save on your memory card and use a password.

5. Audio was really well ported. No choppyness or slowness to it to my surprise. As I know from experience a few Ps1 games that have choppy or low quality sound (*cough*Syphon Filter 1*cough*). Kyle's voice was still rather crisp and clear and the music, while not focused was still very easy to hear

Overall I would rate this port a 8.5 out of ten. Mostly because the framerate was just to annoying and detracted from my like of this port. Overall it was a fun game to play on my Ps2 and I have to admit I have played worse games on the Ps1. I have played better games of course, but I've played worse games
 swaaye
02-25-2009, 5:28 PM
Interesting. Well you do have to remember that PS1 has a very wimpy MIPS R3000 CPU at a whole 33 MHz. That CPU basically has less guts than 486, and it's at a low clock. Porting a DOS game that was designed for mid/high end 486s is going to take its toll unless the game gets reworked for PS1's other hardware abilities. Sounds like they didn't bother much.
 nizwiz
02-26-2009, 1:32 AM
Ah, the good old days, when PC games were ported to console, not the other way round.
 ryu91
12-29-2009, 2:48 PM
Interesting. Well you do have to remember that PS1 has a very wimpy MIPS R3000 CPU at a whole 33 MHz. That CPU basically has less guts than 486, and it's at a low clock. Porting a DOS game that was designed for mid/high end 486s is going to take its toll unless the game gets reworked for PS1's other hardware abilities. Sounds like they didn't bother much.

Take a quick look at the PSX port of Quake 2, very smooth and much more work put into in order to create a fun gameplay experience for the system. Though the PSX port of Dark Forces is still very very playable however it just didn't feel as smooth as on a PC.
 Kurgan
01-03-2010, 7:02 PM
Ah, the good old days, when PC games were ported to console, not the other way round.

Here, here!

Yeah, basically the Playstation version is a "close" port of the PC version. At this point though, since you can run both the PSX version in perfect emulation on your PC and the PC version in DOS box, it's the PC version all the way... not only is it superior in terms of graphics, control options, etc. but you also get to use the many mods that are out there (even if they may seem primitive by today's standards, remember this was a mostly sprite based 1990's FPS with no multiplayer). The stuff they came up with DF1 was quite impressive! There's really nothing in the PSX other than the sheer novelty of playing it on an old PS1.

A lot of FPS games were ported to consoles back in the day (just like today), but they were a mixed bag. It all depended on the team that did it.
 INFERNOJHC
05-05-2010, 6:21 PM
Who still wants to play Dark Forces anyway? You got to be ****ting me.
 Kurgan
05-06-2010, 2:29 PM
Who still wants to play Dark Forces anyway? You got to be ****ting me.

Yeah, I mean it doesn't even have flip kicks! ;P

Seriously though, obviously lots of people still want to, which is why LucasArts is selling it over Steam now (in addition to the rest of the series).

That said, there's no reason to play the inferior PSX version these days, except for the sheer novelty of playing it on your PS2/3...
Page: 1 of 1