Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hack limbs and force push visuals

Page: 1 of 1
 Malcontento
08-26-2008, 5:58 AM
After playing the demo, I noticed two things which bothered me about the game: You can't hack limbs, which you could do in previous Jedi Knight titles, and there's a visual effect for the force push.

Will there be any way to make the force push visuals disappear? They didn't appear in any previous game, they weren't part of the movie, and they shouldn't be a part of this game.
As for limb hacking - it's an essential part of Star Wars. At least four hands were hacked in the original trilogy and at least three more in the new trilogy, plus two legs and a torso. Kyle Kataran used to send stormtrooper limbs flying all over the place. I suppose this was left out in order to lower the game's rating, but will there be some parental code or whatever which will allow for it to be in the game?
 TimbukTurnip
08-26-2008, 6:31 AM
Loads of people keep complaining that you can't hack limbs off...
if you remember though, you had to put in g_saberrealisticcombat 1-5 to be able to chop people up.
Also, TFU isn't a Jedi Knight game, so it's not gonna be the same.

and why does seeing force push bother you? if you don't see it you wont know where its aiming, or how big its radius is, as TFU doesn't have a middle-of-screen aim
 Nicomon
08-26-2008, 8:26 AM
:( *sigh* This has indeed been discussed over and over in here, every other planet in the galaxy, every universe, megaverse and ultraverse!

A tip to newcomers, take a while to browse the forums and read the other threads and what people have posted. ;)

To make a valid reply on your concern about the dismemberment, though, i think that people have come to the conclusion that the dismembering has been left off because it would "jack up" the rating of the game, so to speak.
 LordOfTheFish
08-26-2008, 10:43 AM
It's not really that big of a deal. Does it really make the game any less fun?
 Boba Rhett
08-26-2008, 2:13 PM
Well, yes.
 Da_Man_2423
08-26-2008, 3:40 PM
Well, yes.

Not really. People need to stop taking crack, I mean, Jedi Knight.
 RyuuKage
08-26-2008, 4:12 PM
Force Push has had visual effects in every single game that had it, including Jedi Knight...
 Boba Rhett
08-26-2008, 4:39 PM
Not really. People need to stop taking crack, I mean, Jedi Knight.

Ahaha. Yes, how dare we point out how and where lightsaber combat has been much better executed.
 Commander Obi-Wan
08-26-2008, 4:43 PM
I don't mind the force push visuals. They don't bug me, and it's since the game is focused on the force, why not?

Yeah, it brings more realism for the game to be able to hack off limbs, but it doesn't really bother me that you can't. I'm still gonna play it and whether or not you can. I'd just consider it an added bonus if you were able to.
 Da_Man_2423
08-26-2008, 4:44 PM
Ahaha. Yes, how dare we point out how and where lightsaber combat has been much better executed.

I know, right? Even other popular games like KotOR had the most unrealistic of lightsaber combat mechanics. Jedi Knight was never crowned as the best Star Wars game of all time.
 LordOfTheFish
08-26-2008, 6:19 PM
I don't mind the force push visuals. They don't bug me, and it's since the game is focused on the force, why not?

Yeah, it brings more realism for the game to be able to hack off limbs, but it doesn't really bother me that you can't. I'm still gonna play it and whether or not you can. I'd just consider it an added bonus if you were able to.

Well put. :golfclap:

And there, is your answer, friend.
 Da_Man_2423
08-26-2008, 7:06 PM
Keep in mind that the development team's philosophy has been "kicking ass with the Force" (watch the videos of the behind the scenes stuff), and that the game is called "The Force Unleashed". Whether you take it literally or not is your choice, but this game is ALL about using Force powers.
 LordOfTheFish
08-26-2008, 9:45 PM
Exactly, why people shouldn't be complaining about the melee attack.
 StarWarsPhreak
08-26-2008, 10:46 PM
I kinda wish lightsabers acted like they should, but then the game would be pretty easy. That AT-ST at the end of the demo? Two lightsaber swings and it's goin' down. This is probably a Gameplay > Realismâ„¢ thing. Plus, if the ratings board saw a bunch of limbs flying everywhere, it'd probably go up a rating.
 GeneralPloKoon
08-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Rated T for Teen, Not M for Mature.
 Da_Man_2423
08-26-2008, 10:51 PM
I kinda wish lightsabers acted like they should, but then the game would be pretty easy. That AT-ST at the end of the demo? Two lightsaber swings and it's goin' down.

What difficulty were you playing at? I've been playing at Sith Lord (which I must say, is incredibly easy), and there's no way 2 lightsaber swings would take it down at that difficulty. I always chuck crates and boxes at it from a distance.
 Boba Rhett
08-26-2008, 10:58 PM
He wasn't saying that's how he does it, he was suggesting that that's what would happen if the lightsabers in TFU behaved, "realistically".

Is English not your native tongue, perhaps?
 Da_Man_2423
08-26-2008, 11:09 PM
He wasn't saying that's how he does it, he was suggesting that that's what would happen if the lightsabers in TFU behaved, "realistically".

Is English not your native tongue, perhaps?

No, it's not, I was raised learning leetspeak. (i.e. it was a misread)
 Malcontento
08-27-2008, 1:02 AM
Maybe I should have left the limb hacking out of it, because really, the push visuals bother me more. There were no visuals for the force push in any movie, and I don't remember force push/pull visuals in Jedi Knight either (unless you are reffering to the visuals of stormtroopers/droids being pushed and pulled).
As for the limb hacking, I really can live without it. Most limb hacking in the movies happened at dramatic points anyway, let's not turn this into a Samurai Jack game with all the whirlwind of limbs people talk about.
 Da_Man_2423
08-27-2008, 2:03 AM
I think people need to stop getting so hung over TFU in comparison to Jedi Knight...different story...different series...different engine...different purpose...different game. The only think they have in common is the Star Wars logo. You will enjoy this game 1000x more if you stop all the comparisons.
 Malcontento
08-27-2008, 4:37 AM
Well, I suppose I should also stop comparing it to the movies, because all it has in common is the Star Wars logo?
Force push, or any force power used in the movies with the exception of lightning, didn't have a visual effect. Why do force powers have visual effects in a game (doesn't matter what game)?
 Da_Man_2423
08-27-2008, 4:47 AM
Well, I suppose I should also stop comparing it to the movies, because all it has in common is the Star Wars logo?

Yes.

Force push, or any force power used in the movies with the exception of lightning, didn't have a visual effect. Why do force powers have visual effects in a game (doesn't matter what game)?

Dramatic effect. Wouldn't the visual effects look boring as hell if you were spamming Force powers 24/7, but didn't see anything?
 Malcontento
08-27-2008, 5:07 AM
Originally Posted by Malcontento
Yes.
Well, if that is the case, call it "Planet Struggle: Set the Power Free!!!1" and leave Star Wars the f**k out of it.

Dramatic effect. Wouldn't the visual effects look boring as hell if you were spamming Force powers 24/7, but didn't see anything?
No, I don't think it would be boring. I didn't think it was boring in the movies. Maybe you won't see blue waves when force pushing, or distortion when force jumping, or little puppies when using the mind trick, but you'd still see people flying away, yourself jumping to incredible heights and stormtrooperesses giving your their phone numbers.
 Commander Obi-Wan
08-27-2008, 5:22 AM
Really, I don't see the big problem with the visual effect of the force. It's a video game, and it's NOT Jedi Knight. It's providing emphasis on the force, in which, is the main point of the game. Visually, it looks better IMO. It makes it look smoother when you use the force.
 Malcontento
08-27-2008, 6:43 AM
it's NOT Jedi Knight.

A lot of people seem to have forgotten that before Jedi Knight, there were those movies called Star Wars. The reason people compare TFU and JK isn't because they expect TFU to be a JK clone. It's because - in the aspects being compared - JK managed to capture the spirit of the films, while TFU seems to have failed in doing that. Now, it's too early to pass judgment. Perhaps there will be hacked limbs at specific points. Perhaps the force visuals can be canceled from some in game settings menu. But according to what I've seen in the demo, TFU, a game revolving around the force, didn't quite capture the spirit of the force as it was shown in the movies, and that's a real shame.
 TimbukTurnip
08-27-2008, 6:52 AM
But according to what I've seen in the demo, TFU, a game revolving around the force, didn't quite capture the spirit of the force as it was shown in the movies, and that's a real shame.

TFU wasn't supposed to have the 'spirit of the force in the movies'. To quote the president of Lucasarts (i think thats who he was, can't remember his name) they 'reimagined the force powers'.
It was never meant to be like it is in the movies.
 Malcontento
08-27-2008, 9:32 AM
Well, I suppose I can't argue with that reasoning.
Even though I want to. Very much.
 tk102
08-27-2008, 10:31 AM
TFU wasn't supposed to have the 'spirit of the force in the movies'. To quote the president of Lucasarts (i think thats who he was, can't remember his name) they 'reimagined the force powers'.
It was never meant to be like it is in the movies.

Well alright then!

Lightsabers... old school.
Force push... pffft.

Let's stop beating around the bush. :carms:

You want to unleash the force? Force Quadriplegic and Force Decapitate.
 GeneralPloKoon
08-27-2008, 4:47 PM
What he said..... I view TFU as Episode 3.5, as its a game, book, and a comic sereis! OR a dent in the Star Wars universe.
 Da_Man_2423
08-27-2008, 5:09 PM
What he said..... I view TFU as Episode 3.5, as its a game, book, and a comic sereis! OR a dent in the Star Wars universe.

Well, at least those people complaing about everything will still get the story from other sources.
 GeneralPloKoon
08-28-2008, 4:43 PM
I wish they WOULDN'T complain.
 Da_Man_2423
08-28-2008, 5:26 PM
I wish they WOULDN'T complain.

Unfortunately, there is a thing called "freedom of speech", and people abuse it quite frequently, usually in a negative fashion to piss others off.
 Malcontento
08-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Lןike you just did?
 Da_Man_2423
08-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Lןike you just did?

Way to continue the flamebaiting buddy.

Edit: @Mods: I think the thread should be closed. We get that people don't like some things in the game, enough said. There's nothing worth discussing on topic anymore here.
Page: 1 of 1