Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Vista Compatible K1

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Xander
08-09-2008, 8:08 PM
Does it exist will the TSL one work for K1? I only ask because I just recently got Vista and have been unable to test my mods ever since. I can get thr one for TSL sure but I would like to have K1 playable wiht Vista.

~Xander
 jonathan7
08-09-2008, 8:12 PM
Does it exist will the TSL one work for K1? I only ask because I just recently got Vista and have been unable to test my mods ever since. I can get thr one for TSL sure but I would like to have K1 playable wiht Vista.

~Xander

:rofl:

Sorry; I'm laughing as the TSL compatibility fix is made from using a K1 file - so a fix like that isn't possible; sorry :(
 Darth Xander
08-09-2008, 8:14 PM
So I can't mod K1 any more with Vista?

~Xander
 jonathan7
08-09-2008, 8:31 PM
So I can't mod K1 any more with Vista?

~Xander

Depends what the problem is - have you checked out the threads here; http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=554)
 Darth Xander
08-09-2008, 8:35 PM
There was never any problem I couldn't repair until I got Vista so I think that may be it.

~Xander
 LordRevan999
08-09-2008, 8:39 PM
I just have a advice for you.Go back to XP like most of us did.It saves a lot of trouble seriously trust me.
 Darth Xander
08-09-2008, 8:40 PM
If I could, I would but this is a shared PC and it is my Dad's :( I wish I could but I cannot :cry8::compcry:
~Xander
 Robespierre
08-09-2008, 9:29 PM
Can you tell us the specifics of the error? Rather than just saying "it doesn't work".
 whatthehell
08-09-2008, 9:51 PM
if someone could make a K1 vista compatibly fix, they would be forever hailed as a god/goddess
 Marius Fett
08-10-2008, 7:41 AM
Weird, K1 usually works woth Vista..

Try uninstalling, then manually running the installer off the CD in XP compatibility mode and run as administrator.

Also, when you play the game, play it with those same settings.

Thats how I got TSL to work..
 Thanatos9t
08-10-2008, 7:42 AM
I run K1 on a Vista laptop and use it to test my character/armor mods.
Has it's graphics drivers been updated and do you have all of the recent updates fom Microsoft.
 Marius Fett
08-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Yeah, if you haven't installed Service Pack 1 yet, do so.
 Darth Xander
08-10-2008, 10:04 AM
When I try to start KOTOR this comes up.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x284/cheshirebadges/Alex/vistasucks.jpg)

~Xander
 Marius Fett
08-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Did you try the install method I suggested above?

What version of Vista are you using? (to find out, right click Computer and choose properties)

At what point does it crash?

This thread would do better in the Workbench.
 Darth Xander
08-10-2008, 11:49 AM
As soon as I click Game on the launcher. And this is Windows Vista Ultimate.

~Xander
 Marius Fett
08-10-2008, 2:48 PM
Hmm.. Have you tried TSL?

Does that work?
 Darth Xander
08-10-2008, 3:42 PM
Yes TSL works, without the fix:smilehug:.

~Xander
 harIII
08-14-2008, 8:26 AM
I have used K1 and 2 on Vista and I had strange problems when I got to Dantooine. The 2 companions I had with me in the Jedi Academy Courtyard somehow wound up on a cliff (outside of the module boundaries) and I could get out of it. If you use Vista I highly recommend that you use Vista Ultimate or Extreme. There are enough patches to run almost every program for XP. Also if you do try to go back to XP trust me, take it to a shop. It has something to do with files that are required for an XP installation that need to be on the hard drive and all new Vista computers don't have these files. You have to some how put them on by a floppy disk and the total number of files exceeds the size of the floppy. I hope this helps. That's what I did.
 SevaC
08-14-2008, 9:38 AM
I have WinVista Ultimate and K1/K2 (and mods) work for me. The only thing I have to do is set them to run on a single core and run in realtime in the task manager.
 LoganZezima
08-18-2008, 3:03 PM
I have a completely upgraded computer, with all of the service packs, and mine works fine.
 DarthHK
08-18-2008, 5:27 PM
When I try to start KOTOR this comes up.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x284/cheshirebadges/Alex/vistasucks.jpg)

~Xander

Don't you just love how specific Vista is?:xp:

At any rate, try running it in compatibility mode and as admin if you can (if your dad won't let you hope compatibility will be enough) and patch the game to 1.3, the same settings on the patcher. Why do I say this? I have the Best of PC version which works perfectly fine and it's just 1.3 on a DVD.
 glovemaster
08-19-2008, 2:45 PM
There could be many reasons that an error like that would appear. First of all check your graphics card, KotOR supports Nvidia and ATI graphics card and some Intel boards have worked, if you arn't running on any of those then that is a posibility. Make sure that you are running KotOR in Windows XP compatibility mode. Go to the SWKotOR root directory and right click swkotor.exe > Compatibility. I suggest you show us what the config scan shows for your computers hardware.
 harIII
08-26-2008, 8:40 AM
Install Vista Extreme. Beleive me it works, that's what I use. K1 and K2 work. The only thing is that there is only one that it might crash and thats in the boot up of K1 at least. All you have to do is keep booting up K1 and within 3 to 5 tries, you'll get into the game. With Vista Extreme, there are enough patches to use/play many of your older programs. I also suggest that you download it off the internet, I have a full downloaded version of it but I'm sorry I don't know if I can tell you because of fear for advertising freeware. I hope this helps.
 MajinMikeyX
08-27-2008, 4:39 AM
How about the KotOR 1 from the Star Wars: Best of PC? Is that version supposed to be compatible with XP and Vista?
 Da_Man_2423
08-27-2008, 5:21 AM
How about the KotOR 1 from the Star Wars: Best of PC? Is that version supposed to be compatible with XP and Vista?

Well, that's the one I have, and it works for my XP. It doesn't specifically list Vista on the back of the box, though, only XP.
Page: 1 of 1