Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

James Earl-Jones?

Page: 1 of 1
 MacTavish
07-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Does anyone know if James Earl-Jones will be doing the VO's for Darth Vader in the game? I've checked IMDB for the game and there isn't even a cast spot for Darth Vader.
 Ztalker
07-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Nope. He won't be doing it.
The guy who voiced Vader in this video series will:
http://break.com/index/try-not-to-laugh.html) (Chad Vader)

Source:
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2008/03/lucas200803?currentPage=2)
 MacTavish
07-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Bummer, I was hoping it would be the real Vader.
 TKA-001
07-06-2008, 3:36 PM
I wouldn't complain if I were you, Ronin (if that is what you're doing). Vader speaks several times in the preview videos, and as far as I ςan tell they got a pretty convincing Vader. I find that very impressive, because the voice actors they've been getting for movie characters in their games for the past several years have almost universally been terrible (Luke Skywalker in Jedi Outcast, everyone in Galactic Battlegrounds, etc).

The thing you have to realize is that it's more important that they get someone who suits the character well, not necessarily the original voice actor. A good example of this is the dude who voices Palpatine in TIE Fighter. He didn't really sound much like Palpatine from any of the movies, but his voice worked well for the character. The same applied for Darth Vader in the FPS Dark Forces and a few other games from that era as well.
 Jeff
07-06-2008, 8:16 PM
I can definitely tell it's not James Earl Jones when I've heard Vader in the game speak, but I think they got the next best voice they could have. I'm satisfied.
 Davinq
07-06-2008, 10:39 PM
I dunno, not so sure about Chad Vader. His voice almost sounds a little cliched, if that's at all possible, with his "You have done well.......... my........ apprentice." The apprentice bit paused for dramatic effect and all. Jones wouldn't have emphasised it as much, making it seem more original and less of a marketing ploy.
 Nicomon
07-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Indeed it won't be James Earl-Jones, but hey, Chad Vader is awesome!

At first when i watched the internet show, i couldn't believe how good he was.
 MacTavish
07-07-2008, 8:40 PM
I wouldn't complain if I were you, Ronin (if that is what you're doing). Vader speaks several times in the preview videos, and as far as I ςan tell they got a pretty convincing Vader. I find that very impressive, because the voice actors they've been getting for movie characters in their games for the past several years have almost universally been terrible (Luke Skywalker in Jedi Outcast, everyone in Galactic Battlegrounds, etc).

The thing you have to realize is that it's more important that they get someone who suits the character well, not necessarily the original voice actor. A good example of this is the dude who voices Palpatine in TIE Fighter. He didn't really sound much like Palpatine from any of the movies, but his voice worked well for the character. The same applied for Darth Vader in the FPS Dark Forces and a few other games from that era as well.

I wasn't really complaining, I was just curious at first who was voicing Vader and when I found out it wasn't James Earl-Jones I said bummer because I hadn't heard him speak in any of the trailers, so I didnt know whether he sounded good or bad but I did later watch one with the new voice actor and he does sound very good.
 Rev7
07-07-2008, 10:56 PM
I can definitely tell it's not James Earl Jones when I've heard Vader in the game speak, but I think they got the next best voice they could have. I'm satisfied.
QFE.
 PoiuyWired
07-08-2008, 7:20 PM
Well, the Chad Vader guy did a wonderful job, from the fan films that I have seen at least. Plus, it is said that GL acktually like that series.

Now, does it mean that Chad Vader is canon now? :)
 Thrawn
07-09-2008, 9:24 PM
I liked the voice over for Vader in TIE Fighter personally.
 Jason Skywalker
07-10-2008, 9:55 AM
I see no difference at all between the original Vader and this one.
 RyuuKage
07-10-2008, 3:58 PM
there's plenty of difference, but unless you're playing the game and movie at the same time or immediately after each other it isn't very noticeable...
Page: 1 of 1