Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Two Questions in One!

Page: 1 of 1
 HodgePodge
05-17-2008, 2:54 PM
Okay guys, I've been lurking around the forums lately trying to figure things out, and I found an amazing tutorial on making puppets (i.e. Bao Dur's remote.) The problem is, it was written for TSL. So could anyone point me in the direction of such a tutorial for K1. Are puppets even possible in K1? And if it's any importance, I'm trying to add two puppets at once.

Second Question: If the puppets are impossible for K1, then I guess I'd have to just replace party members. But how would I replace two party members instead of just 1? Would it work to just attach one script to one dialog option and another script to the next dialog option? Or could I use one script to add two new recruits?

Thanks for any help.
 TriggerGod
05-17-2008, 3:05 PM
AFAIK, its impossible for puppets in K1. Have you seen any characters that just plain followed another character (Mission/Zalbarr don't count :xp: )? No?

Well, If I understand your second question, you want to replace 2 characters, am I correct? If I am, then you have the right guy. I am working on replacing 2 characters in TSL. But scripting right now is beyond me.
 HodgePodge
05-17-2008, 4:26 PM
Are you sure puppets are impossible? I mean, look at the LD-29 mod. It can create wardroids which follow you. How does that work?
 TriggerGod
05-17-2008, 4:33 PM
As I said:
AFAIKAs Far As I Know
 HodgePodge
05-17-2008, 4:38 PM
Ah. Sorry about that, I'm acronymically challenged. :P
 Giant Graffiti
05-17-2008, 6:00 PM
I mean, look at the LD-29 mod. It can create wardroids which follow you. How does that work?

I'm unfamiliar with that mod, but I think I know how it was done. Was there a conversation option that "triggered" a war droid spawning? You could do something similar to this, with your mod. This is basically what you would have to do:

1. Edit the dialog, it could be pretty basic like, "I want you to call in <inserthere>". (Be sure to add the name of the script you're going to use under the script column)

2. Make the script to spawn the NPC, it should be like this:

void main()
{
CreateObject( OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE,
"object_template", GetLocation(GetFirstPC()));
}

3. To make the NPC follow you around use the "The Fake Party Member" made by Dak Vesser, found here. (http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=152677)

One of the downsides to doing this is that the NPC will only follow you around in that module and you'll have to re-spawn him every time you leave a module. To recruit two NPCs at the same time follow D333 tutorial on recruiting NPCs, just add to extra lines in the dialog for the other scripts.

~Giygas
 Sithspecter
05-17-2008, 6:34 PM
Are you sure puppets are impossible? I mean, look at the LD-29 mod. It can create wardroids which follow you. How does that work?

That is a follow script. The difference between an NPC that follows you and a puppet is that there has to be a script to make it spawn.
 Darth Payne
05-17-2008, 6:41 PM
There is Sekans Call Of Aid armband that does this.

But, like Giygas said if you use it you will have to do a respawning in each module.
 HodgePodge
05-17-2008, 7:32 PM
Hmm...any way around the problem that you have to re-execute the script for a new module? Is there a way to execute a script every time a new module is entered?
 Darth Payne
05-17-2008, 7:48 PM
Don't think so.

At least, i haven't found it yet.
 Master Zionosis
05-17-2008, 8:46 PM
Don't think so.

At least, i haven't found it yet.

There is a way, but way to complicated to even bother with.

You would have to decompile every single OnEnter script for every module, then add in the specific lines of script in every OnEnter script, then about 24 hours later, you have to recompile the scripts and build everything together again. Essentially, it is to much hassle. Not to mention on decompiling the scripts, bits may not decompile correctly and may miss vital parts of the script that is needed.

But as I said, it is possible. :xp:

EDIT:

Is there a way to execute a script every time a new module is entered?

As I said above, yes, you can use the OnEnter function.
 Giant Graffiti
05-17-2008, 8:56 PM
You would have to decompile every single OnEnter script for every module, then add in the specific lines of script in every OnEnter script, then about 24 hours later, you have to recompile the scripts and build everything together again.

Not necessarily, you could extract every OnEnter script and change the name (easy to do if you copy and paste it in the same folder). Then you would make a new script that checks if the NPC was spawned, use the ExecuteScript function at the bottom, and rename to the same thing as the original OnEnter scripts. But it still would take a while. :xp:

~Giygas
 Master Zionosis
05-17-2008, 9:16 PM
Not necessarily, you could extract every OnEnter script and change the name (easy to do if you copy and paste it in the same folder). Then you would make a new script that checks if the NPC was spawned, use the ExecuteScript function at the bottom, and rename to the same thing as the original OnEnter scripts. But it still would take a while. :xp:

~Giygas

Hehe, that would work. Judging by my knowledge and experience in modding it would still take roughly the same amount of time to do it lol. :xp: But I guess that gives any takers two options, hehe.
 HodgePodge
05-17-2008, 9:26 PM
Yes, I'm smart like that. As my first mod, I choose 24+ hours of work :/

Guess I'll have to think of a work around.
Page: 1 of 1