Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Gold sellers - ugh.

Page: 1 of 1
 Taak Farst
05-13-2008, 5:08 PM
For gamers who play World of Warcraft (WoW) or Star Wars Galaxies (SWG), don't you find it really annoying when you get gold and credit sellers spamming up the chat with advertisements? What are Blizzard and LucasArts doing about it? Last year they banned A LOT of gold sellers and buyers but this year they seem to be doing diddly squat!

I saw this annoying one while playing WoW - in the Stormwind Trade chat.
Need Gold? Strapped for cash? Want that mount? Then go to Blah.com!* We offer 1000g for 11.50 euros! So if you need that mount then come on down!

- Pathetic...
* I used Blah.com to cover the real site address.
 Achilles
05-13-2008, 5:22 PM
Yeah, I never got the whole "using real money to buy fake money" thing. I knew a guy that took out a loan to buy a character. This is why I don't play MMOs.
 Rogue Nine
05-13-2008, 5:51 PM
Not to mention it's usually illegal to sell and/or purchase gold with real money. :p
 Pho3nix
05-13-2008, 5:53 PM
I remember the golden days of WoW back when it was just released. There were no gold bots spamming the major cities.

I think they started appearing about a year ago.
 Jae Onasi
05-13-2008, 6:23 PM
Report them. If the companies hear from enough people, they'll start doing something about it. If enough people leave the game because of the spammers, the companies will take notice.

We were having a problem with that in Guild Wars, too, and then ArenaNet cracked down on it. It wasn't horrible, but I don't see the spammers in the major towns anymore at all.
 mur'phon
05-13-2008, 6:28 PM
As jae said, to the companies, it's the valet that does the talking. But even if they try their best, there will still be gold sellers. Where there is suply, there will be demand, even though most people don't like it.
 Jason Skywalker
05-14-2008, 5:40 AM
Yeah, they're annoying, but i don't usually run into many on this MMO i'm playing now. I actually reported one the other day. Felt good lol.
 Jeff
05-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Something all MMOs have to deal with, I just report and /ignore them.
 Master Zionosis
05-14-2008, 4:26 PM
Not to mention it's usually illegal to sell and/or purchase gold with real money. :p

Yep, that's because in a few years time, Blizzard will be selling it themselves. :p

Edit: To stay relevant to the post, yes, I also hate them, returned to WoW recently and there seems to be more than ever...
 Hallucination
05-14-2008, 5:18 PM
I haven't had much trouble with gold spammers after 2.3 in WoW, just the occasional naked orc standing in the centre of a city. I guess I'm just lucky, amirite?
 Jae Onasi
05-14-2008, 8:37 PM
I never knew you liked naked orcs that much, Hall. I commend you for your open-minded views on love.
 Hallucination
05-14-2008, 9:25 PM
Once you go green you know what they mean if ya know what I mean. :naughty:
 EnderWiggin
05-14-2008, 9:30 PM
Where there is suply, there will be demand, even though most people don't like it.

I think it's more like where there's demand there will be supply.

Yeah, I used to play SWG for a while before the whole Sony-Suicide thing. I still can't believe they did that to me.

I never needed a gold-seller. Just became friends with a Wookie Dancer who would give me some of his tips sometimes when I needed a new swoop or a bantha. I really loved that bantha.

But I digress.

_EW_
 JediAthos
05-14-2008, 10:38 PM
I don't know about what SWG is doing but WoW actively pursues gold farmers and sellers and bans their accounts. I personally report all the spammers I come across, and I make it a point to let them know it too.

Unfortunately there are enough people who use the services that for every one Blizzard and SOE get rid of there are two or three more that pop up. I heard that at one point the economy for the final fantasy mmo was so bad it was almost unplayable because of gold farmers and rediculously high item prices in game.

edit: omg...I just saw an add for a service on this site!
 SilentScope001
05-14-2008, 11:32 PM
I am in support of legal Gold Farming. If a game allows players to buy stuff to make them more powerful, and if a player wants to have fun by becoming more powerful, why not let them?

I'm also in support of legalizing all forms of Gold Farming (the goal of a game is to HAVE FUN, and if a person is having fun by paying money to somebody else to play the game, why not? It beniefts everyone.) AS LONG AS THEY DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE ILLEGAL (like keylogging, hacking, etc.), but I understand that is an unpopular position.
 Jae Onasi
05-15-2008, 12:00 AM
edit: omg...I just saw an add for a service on this site!

Report that one to tk102 and Aristotle--they can make a complaint to the company that provides the ads. I don't think LF should condone something that violates the EULAs of games, but that's just me.

@Silent--what's the point of paying someone else to play the game for you? That's just crazy. Just find a different game you like better, in that case. Gold farming just ruins it for everyone who wants to play the game honestly. The games are generally structured to provide a theoretically level playing field for everyone. Utilizing outside sources to obtain in-game gold and items creates an unfair advantage.
 RedHawke
05-15-2008, 3:14 AM
The funny thing is in DDO on my server it is likely the worst as far as the Plat sellers.

We have our crusaders and the company seems to be trying but they just keep coming! :lol:

My opinion on it is they have customers or they wouldn't be there... so in the end who is really to blame for the gold/plat sellers and item dealers? The people who play with us who buy their crap, even inadvertantly. Not a popular opinion either I know.

I made a high Haggle Bard so I can afford my own extras off the AH in-game, but I have no idea who is selling the items and could very well be supporting the plat/gold famers myself.
 mur'phon
05-15-2008, 5:14 AM
EW: :headbump obviously that's what I meant
 Taak Farst
05-17-2008, 7:03 PM
I agree to pretty much all these posts apart from Silent Scopes.

Silent, as Jae said, it totally ruins it! If people want money - people in their rite mind do quests and grind. Not go over to Blah.com and buy 1000g for 10 euros, it ruins the fun of it. Sure, you got ur little frostsaber (WoW mount) but that doesnt mean its cool. You can get a really bad rep.
 EnderWiggin
05-18-2008, 12:32 PM
EW: :headbump obviously that's what I meant
It happens :D

_EW_
 Pho3nix
05-18-2008, 1:19 PM
Personally, I couldn't care less if people do buy gold. I think the influence it has on the game economy is exaggerated (correct me if I'm wrong). The only downside that I see are the bots which can be irritating. And besides, you can't buy good (epic) items in WoW via the Auction House so I really can't see anything wrong with it.

Same with people who sell their accounts and end up losing them after some kiss-ass reports them to Blizzard. People should mind their own business, if someone wants to sell their high end account, quit playing wow and make a profit; let them. In no way does it intervene with your own character/game.
 Kilppari
05-18-2008, 1:32 PM
Gold selling sucks hardly!
Way back when i was playing Guild Wars, there was always gold sellers spamming at you on private chat whenever you arrived to major city. Always reported them.
 EnderWiggin
05-18-2008, 1:57 PM
If someone wants to sell their high end account, quit playing wow and make a profit; let them. In no way does it intervene with your own character/game.

Quite right :)

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't know why there are restrictions against that and stuff.... I think it's perfectly all right.

_EW_
 Da_man
05-18-2008, 2:44 PM
I played the demo of SWG which came with the best of PC thing, and there where a lot of spammers there. These gold sellers are a serious problem. It totally ruins the experience, and makes the game seems like one big ad.
 Jae Onasi
05-18-2008, 3:57 PM
Gold selling sucks hardly!
Way back when i was playing Guild Wars, there was always gold sellers spamming at you on private chat whenever you arrived to major city. Always reported them.

They've cut down on that alot recently--There aren't obvious gold sellers in the big cities, and I'm not getting spammed in private chat at all anymore.
 Kilppari
05-19-2008, 8:02 AM
They've cut down on that alot recently--There aren't obvious gold sellers in the big cities, and I'm not getting spammed in private chat at all anymore.

That is good to hear! I might return to GW, when they release GW2
 mur'phon
05-19-2008, 5:15 PM
I believe the only way to get rid of gold sellers is to either make a game with no currency to sell, or make it unproffitable for the gold seller. Essentially, either remove demand, or strike straight at the supliers. Personally I think the first option is easier.
Page: 1 of 1