Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why Force Unleashed is not for PC

Page: 1 of 2
 Jeff
05-12-2008, 5:40 PM
Finally, an official response. In an interview with the game's producer Cameron Suey, he spoke about why the game would not be playable on enough PCs so only a select few could play it. Check out the overview at Forceunleashed.net: http://www.forceunleashed.net/news/why-force-unleashed-is-not-on-pc/)
 tk102
05-12-2008, 5:49 PM
The PC being the gaming platform that it is, someone with a $4,000 high-end system would definitely be able to play the Euphoria, the DMM and really technical elements of the game. But someone with a low-end PC would have a watered down experience, they would have to turn all the settings down and it wouldn’t be the same game.
So how would that be any different from any other PC game? Really a weak excuse. Of course high-end PCs are going to provide a different gaming experience than an outdated PC. Just make the game experience equivalent to the best console and let the PC gamers catch up. It's what we always do. We're used to it. And unlike consoles, we can upgrade our rigs.

That said we’re definitely not out of the PC market. It’s just with our choice for this game, with the known quantity for the consoles, and every console is the same with the same processing power, it made sense for us to develop for those consoles.Translation: we were already spread thin covering each console and when we crunched the numbers, the payback from developing a PC platform wasn't worth the investment.

Just say it like it is.

That said we’re definitely not out of the PC market. :¬: Throw me a bone...

Might there be a PC version in the future?
No. And if there was no-one has told me about it yet!Or not. Pfft.
 Ctrl Alt Del
05-12-2008, 5:53 PM
I agree with Teekay. If it would to be watered down on low-end PCs, then why not add the special levels or the duel mode of the Wii, for example?
 Char Ell
05-13-2008, 1:16 AM
So how would that be any different from any other PC game? Really a weak excuse. Of course high-end PCs are going to provide a different gaming experience than an outdated PC. Just make the game experience equivalent to the best console and let the PC gamers catch up. It's what we always do. We're used to it. And unlike consoles, we can upgrade our rigs. Word.
Translation: we were already spread thin covering each console and when we crunched the numbers, the payback from developing a PC platform wasn't worth the investment.

Just say it like it is. Well, if it makes you feel any better Haden Blackman pretty much said that back in January.

:¬: Throw me a bone... What do you mean? LEC threw out LEGO Star Wars I and II for PC. That isn't enough of a bone for you? :xp: :mob:
 Lantzen
05-13-2008, 2:10 AM
Bah, bull****. The PS2 version can't look so good either, and the Wii version isnt so good looking either but that still counts as the same game
 TKA-001
05-13-2008, 9:40 AM
Yeah, see? I knew this would happen. People bitched about there being no PC version, and when they [LA] actually give[s] a good reason for it, they refuse to believe and bitch anyway. It's what I like to call a "lose-lose" scenario.
 tk102
05-13-2008, 9:43 AM
What "good" reason would that be TKA-001?

@Char Ell: Ah thanks didn't see the Blackman interview.

As for *future* bones, let's see:
Lego Indy? No.
TFU? No.
Fracture? No.
Battlefront 3? ?? KotOR 3? ?? JK 4 ??

No, I won't count a MMORPG as a bone. I wonder when they're going to drop the "we're definitely not out of the PC market" rhetoric.
 Ztalker
05-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Bwahahaha!

Did the guy actually ice cold say 'WATERED DOWN' while he's bringing the damn game to the PS2, DS, PSP, N-gage, Texas instruments calculator and microwave?

When they'll give us a serious statement, I'll be back...
 Lantzen
05-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Yeah, see? I knew this would happen. People bitched about there being no PC version, and when they [LA] actually give[s] a good reason for it, they refuse to believe and bitch anyway. It's what I like to call a "lose-lose" scenario. I don't bitch about it aint comming to PC, but there still no good reason why it wont come to PC. Waterd down my ass, most gamers PC are better then a PS2, thats for sure...

If this wasnt one of the nice forums im a member off, there would be some flame in the above post ^^
 tk102
05-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Sad truth is if TFU is a big commercial success for Lucasarts, which appears likely, won't that further ingrain the strategy of *not* developing for the PC?

There seems to be a growing conflict of interest being an admin on these forums and a PC-only gamer. :(
 TKA-001
05-13-2008, 1:30 PM
What "good" reason would that be TKA-001?
Maybe the reason they gave?

If this wasnt one of the nice forums im a member off, there would be some flame in the above post ^^
Oh, thank god. I am very appreciative of your mercy.
 Lantzen
05-13-2008, 2:00 PM
TKA, that still not a good reason. It's so much easier to get your opinion across with a bit of flame :lol:

And btw, wtf "The PC being the gaming platform that it is, someone with a $4,000 high-end system would definitely be able to play the Euphoria, the DMM and really technical elements of the game"My computer costed around $2000 (A little less, and that was a year ago) and i can play Crysis on highest with that one. I really don't think you need double the amount to be able to play Force Unleashed
 TKA-001
05-13-2008, 2:16 PM
You people are saying those things based on assumptions. I'm content enough to assume that the people who actually make the games know what they're talking about.
 tk102
05-13-2008, 4:40 PM
Maybe the reason they gave?
Suey's reason: "People with low-end PCs wouldn't have a good play experience" = bad reason
Blackman's reason: "It would require high-end PCs and there's not enough customer base to justify it" = okay reason, though it's flawed logic.

Perhaps LA was looking at Crysis sales for a yardstick in the high-end PC gamer market. Back in November the sales in the U.S. were less than anticipated (http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/17/hardware-geeks-fail-bump-crysis). Not really fair though since that was sales snapshot was the first week of sales for a game hyped as being a DX10 game while people were badmouthing Vista. The buzz at that time was that yes, this is a high-end game and you will probably need to upgrade your components. That doesn't happen overnight.

Now look ahead 3 months later after the Christmas holiday and digital downloads, and EA tells us it has sold 1 million units (http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8945&Itemid=2) worldwide. Sales for higher-end PC games may not be as dramatic as console games (eg. GTA IV), but they have longevity especially when the modding communities spring up.

(And all this is under the assumption that TFU will require a high-end machine, yet we have development for the PS2 and DS.)
 Jeff
05-13-2008, 5:33 PM
Well I don't mind as much just because I have access to a console and think gameplay would be better on there. But one thing I'd like to ask the PC-only gamers is would you be satisfied with the PS2 version being brought to the PC instead of the high-end version? Not trying to prove anything, I'm just curious.
 Lantzen
05-13-2008, 5:44 PM
There aint no reason they would bring a PS2 version to the PC. From what i understand xbox and PC games is very similar to program, so if they can do a high-end version on xbox they can easily do it on PC. Not that i care so much either since i have a xbox, but the reason they have give is just crap
 tk102
05-13-2008, 6:08 PM
I don't need high end graphics to have fun gaming. I'm used to turning down my graphics settings, so if they do it for me by porting the PS2 version, that's fine. It'd be nice for a change to be able to pwn the specs on a new game. Maybe I look at games a little differently coming from RPG/Adventure fandom of which TFU isn't.

And perhaps I take it a bit personally. This game was given the tacit nod by Lucas and elaborates on the OT timeframe that my generation grew up with watching in the theaters. There is a feeling of being deliberately left out because I don't own a console like my younger friends. Ah, well, whatever.
 Pho3nix
05-13-2008, 6:17 PM
I don't mind anymore since I'm getting a PS3 :xp:
 Char Ell
05-14-2008, 1:54 AM
As for *future* bones, let's see:
Lego Indy? No.
TFU? No.
Fracture? No.
Battlefront 3? ?? KotOR 3? ?? JK 4 ??

No, I won't count a MMORPG as a bone. I wonder when they're going to drop the "we're definitely not out of the PC market" rhetoric. I think the only future bone for PC right now is the unannounced LucasArts/BioWare project. Seems like there would be a decent chance for that game to be released for PC though we'll not likely see that until the end of 2009 or more likely 2010. Talk about a "future" bone... :dozey:

The Free Radical project will most definitely come out before the LucasArts/BioWare project but since Free Radical isn't known for making PC games the odds on bet for that game is it will be another console exclusive like TFU.
There seems to be a growing conflict of interest being an admin on these forums and a PC-only gamer. :( So you've noticed, eh? ;) Of course I'm not an admin but I've wondered how LF will do if LucasArts stops releasing PC games or only releases a PC game once every 2-3 years. If the PC peeps start dropping off then will the console peeps fill in? Hard to predict but seems likely a demographic shift in the LF user base would result.
 Hayden Kered
05-14-2008, 2:55 AM
I could really care less that it's not for PC. IMO, PC games are a waste. Most games that I have seen for PC in the last 2 years have been ones that can be easily beaten in 3 hours, and others you have to play online, which most of the time requires monthly fees just to play a game you already paid $60 for.

As for myself, I have a Wii which is good enough for me to play TFU.
 Jeff
05-14-2008, 4:10 AM
You must not see many PC games then... :dozey:
 Hayden Kered
05-14-2008, 5:04 AM
Around where I live...not really!
 Ztalker
05-14-2008, 12:49 PM
I'll get back on my previous statement.

I've bought a new computer at the beginning of this year. Some specs (X-Fire Sca):
Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory:
2048MB RAM
Hard Drive:
250 GB Total
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

I just took the Assassin's Creed Test...(to check if my comp's able to handle it) and I was flabbergasted. It ran very bad. I know the 8600 is a crappy video card (which was completely ignored by the videogame creator who embraced the 8800 and left us 'first gen Vista cards' owners to cry).

Too be honest about this...I don't feel I want to buy another 600 euro video card for Assassin's Creed. And although TFU is no Crysis, it's far more cmparible with Assassin's Creed. And remember, I bought my system THIS year....it sucks :(

There is (for me) some reason behind LA's statement now.
 Serpentine Cougar
05-14-2008, 11:42 PM
I guess it would be too hard to make the physics system scalable? So that, like other graphics settings, you can turn them down in "Options" if your rig can't handle it?

But one thing I'd like to ask the PC-only gamers is would you be satisfied with the PS2 version being brought to the PC instead of the high-end version? Not trying to prove anything, I'm just curious.
Even if that was all the PC got, it would still probably mean some modding possibilities...

[...] only releases a PC game once every 2-3 years.
Isn't that how long it usually takes to make a game, though?
 Char Ell
05-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Isn't that how long it usually takes to make a game, though? Sure, PC games usually take at least 2 years to make. However if LucasArts only releases one PC game once every 2-3 years then that would mean LucasArts would likely be developing or contracting development for one PC game at a time. In the past LucasArts has released one or more PC titles each year so they've had more than one PC game in the development pipeline.
 PoiuyWired
05-15-2008, 2:16 PM
I'll get back on my previous statement.

I've bought a new computer at the beginning of this year. Some specs (X-Fire Sca):
Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory:
2048MB RAM
Hard Drive:
250 GB Total
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

I just took the Assassin's Creed Test...(to check if my comp's able to handle it) and I was flabbergasted. It ran very bad. I know the 8600 is a crappy video card (which was completely ignored by the videogame creator who embraced the 8800 and left us 'first gen Vista cards' owners to cry).

Too be honest about this...I don't feel I want to buy another 600 euro video card for Assassin's Creed. And although TFU is no Crysis, it's far more cmparible with Assassin's Creed. And remember, I bought my system THIS year....it sucks :(

There is (for me) some reason behind LA's statement now.

1) Once the game is out its requirement would not raise, this is not World of Grindcraft or other MMO.
2) TFU have low-end version like PS2. And you should seriously think of becoming an hero if your newer computer is less capable than such a "next-gen"(anyone call it that nowadays should have his balls removed and made into sausages) console.

So, its not a capacity problem. Plus, you should buy a better video card, really.
 TheZor
05-18-2008, 8:57 AM
Well I don't mind as much just because I have access to a console and think gameplay would be better on there. But one thing I'd like to ask the PC-only gamers is would you be satisfied with the PS2 version being brought to the PC instead of the high-end version? Not trying to prove anything, I'm just curious.

Well, this already is what is happening most of the time.. For some odd reason, most of the developers/editors feel like we, PC gamers, deserve the PS2 version. I can't honestly figure it out.
It wouldn't have been surprising if we had the PS2/Wii version :lol:

You people are saying those things based on assumptions. I'm content enough to assume that the people who actually make the games know what they're talking about.

Do you want something that is not an assumption ? A vast array of PCs ( a majority actually ) are way more powerful than the PS2 and the Wii. Yet, we don't get a PC version because it'd supposedly require a 4000$ PC, which would then be even more powerful than the PS3. But, the PS2 and Wii versions are somehow possible. I fail to see logic.
See, that's not an assumption, those are facts, and their excuse is a poor attempt at fooling us. There are obvious other reasons for it, lack of time, lack of investement, lack of interrest, whatever you want.

I tend not to believe developers all the time, and that's a good idea most of the time.
See, GTA IV had unbelievable issues as to how to make it run on the X360 or the PS3, yet they are still somehow able to port it onto the PC. How wierd is that ? The only excuse for this is they don't think the base market on PC would be good enough, and it just amazes me when I see such interviews filled with sheer hypocrisy.

Ztalker: About Assassin's Creed, something is wrong, it shouldn't be running THAT choppily. Try checking your drivers or look for some kind of conflict, it should run pretty ok with decent settings.
 Jeff
05-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Well I think when talking about needing a high-end PC to run TFU, they would have been referring to porting the Xbox 360 version, which probably would require an above average but not $4000 PC.
 Char Ell
05-18-2008, 11:54 AM
I agree. My guess is that LucasArts believed they had two choices: Port the Xbox 360 version to PC or develop and optimize a PC version of TFU.

If they did a fairly straightforward port of the Xbox 360 version of TFU then it would require a high-end PC to run, probably a quad core running at least 2.4 GHz, at least 1 GB RAM, and a 512 MB graphics card. I think they felt a straightforward port would limit the number of PC players who could buy the game and they decided not to go that route.

Developing and optimizing a PC version of TFU would have required more development cost and expense. Though such an effort would allow the game to be played on more PC's I don't think LucasArts felt they would sell enough copies of the PC version to recoup their development costs.

Thus the rationale I believe was behind the decision to not make a PC version of TFU. Not that I agree with it or anything but I think that was the logic behind LucasArts' decision.
 GeneralPloKoon
05-18-2008, 5:15 PM
I wish I could feel sorry for the PC gamers, but I have always loved consoles more. Plus in my opnion, the PC market is starting to die down....
 Da_man
05-18-2008, 9:26 PM
Bah, bull****. The PS2 version can't look so good either, and the Wii version isnt so good looking either but that still counts as the same game

I agree, but I have a Wii and an Xbox 360. Certain games on the PS2 can have Xbox 360 level graphics, and I've seen it. Rock Band looks almost the same on the 360 and PS2. Whereas GH3 can barely get the drummers animations right. The PS2 and Wii are getting bad reputations because the devs made the graphics. SSBB and Super Mario Galaxy look just as good as Halo 3.

And btw, wtf My computer costed around $2000 (A little less, and that was a year ago) and i can play Crysis on highest with that one. I really don't think you need double the amount to be able to play Force Unleashed

I heard NASA just played Crysis at the highest level with thier orbital supercomputers for five minutes before crashing. :xp:
 Serpentine Cougar
05-18-2008, 11:46 PM
I heard NASA just played Crysis at the highest level with thier orbital supercomputers for five minutes before crashing. :xp:
Got a link/source?
 Da_man
05-18-2008, 11:59 PM
^ GameInformer (It's a joke, genius)
 Lantzen
05-20-2008, 5:05 AM
Well, it's not really fair to take the old xbox360 game and make a comparison with the new PS2 games. The new 360 game is pushing the xbox to the limit, the old games don't. It would be like making a comparison between Crysis and Farcry in my opinion. But i get your point

And see how good a computer can get with 2000$ well spent money ^^ But i can admit, i don't have antialasing (sp?) on max, and thats nearly the only thing thats not maxed. Im not home so i can look at the settings
 Prime
05-20-2008, 9:30 AM
I don't bitch about it aint comming to PC, but there still no good reason why it wont come to PC. There is for Lucasarts, and developers in general: The market is just too small to justify the cost of making a PC version. If it was, they'd do it.
 Lantzen
05-20-2008, 9:35 AM
But Lucasarts aint saying thats the reason...
 Char Ell
05-20-2008, 10:02 AM
^^^
If that is what you think then it seems apparent that you haven't taken the time to read all the posts in this thread. Recommend you read post #4. ;)
 BoBoZoBo
05-27-2008, 2:05 PM
There IS no good excuse.

Im sure they think they have a good reason, but considering the TOTAL BS excuse they gave us I don't think it is a reasonable one. It probably has something to do with a backroom deals making them money and making the game a crappy experience for us.

The PC market is MORE than large enough to justify the porting of the game to PC, especially when it come to Star Wars fans. What gets me is that if it was a market/pirate issue.. why not say it? Why give this $4000 PC resoning which is just PLAIN WRONG. The technical excuse is just a load of crap.

It obvious they are developing the game as quickly as possible just to make a buck. And I am all for capitalism and making a buck... but HELL man, this is Start Wars, give us something.

Personally I am tired of it and I for sure will no longer be buying it. Between this and the fact that game will have different content on different consoles... the enchantment is completely lost for me. I have not bought a LA game in a while becuase of it and I guess I can still do without. I am not about to drive myself crazy with this Console Vs. Console Vs. PC war BS

Check out the rant here: Force Uleashed POLL (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=188984)

Vote if you care.
 Gurges-Ahter
05-27-2008, 3:44 PM
I'd prefer a PC version too, but it's not terribly disappointing to me. I mean, the game/story is still available on console... what's the big deal?

I am disappointed with the "different versions on different consoles" decision, but I guess the strategy will work on me since I'll just buy it for 2 different consoles (Wii and 360 or PS3).
 RyuuKage
05-27-2008, 5:39 PM
i just don't get why people are so anti-console...what's wrong with having a good gaming computer AND consoles? that's what i do, and because of that, i can have basically any game i want in whatever flavor, and it doesn't cost a lot of money either (except for the PC T_T).
 SithStarSlayer
05-28-2008, 7:41 AM
DM, do you really think they'd do that? (put out the ps2 version for PC) I mean I wouldn't be shocked if they did, but I can't see them slapping the PC gamers in the face like that.

Prime posted:

"There is for Lucasarts, and developers in general: The market is just too small to justify the cost of making a PC version. If it was, they'd do it."

Or maybe they're scared of getting shown up by the MOD's that the community comes up with?
 Prime
05-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Prime posted:

"There is for Lucasarts, and developers in general: The market is just too small to justify the cost of making a PC version. If it was, they'd do it."

Or maybe they're scared of getting shown up by the MOD's that the community comes up with?LOL, I don't think so. :D
 RyuuKage
05-28-2008, 2:55 PM
LOL, I don't think so. :D

agreed, mods for games as detailed as TFU will only rarely live up to the original content in terms of quality.
 Negative Sun
05-28-2008, 4:21 PM
Or maybe they're scared of getting shown up by the MOD's that the community comes up with?
lolz, that made me chuckle, thanks :)

I don't mind it not coming out for the PC, since my rig sucks atm anyways, and I've vowed not to buy any more games since I tried to play NWN2 and it looked smurfin' ugly and had a terrible framerate @ 1024x768

The controls will probably be more suitable for console use anyways...Unless you've got a crosshair control system like in JK, but I don't think so (haven't seen the game in action yet, dunno if there's any footage of it at all actually)

I've got a PS2 and will probably get a Wii soon, even though I wouldn't mind seeing DMM or Euphoria in action, it wouldn't really bother me that much...
 DAWUSS
05-28-2008, 9:13 PM

Because God forbid we have Jaina Solo vs. Naga Sadow or Mira vs. Mara in TFU
 SithStarSlayer
05-29-2008, 12:07 AM
After the new year, you might just get your wish...
to play as Jaina, at least.
 RyuuKage
05-29-2008, 1:41 PM
After the new year, you might just get your wish...
to play as Jaina, at least.

what a cryptic statement....'SPLAIN! lol
 Da_man
05-29-2008, 2:41 PM
 LordSerion
06-28-2008, 8:09 AM
I think they will make it for PC as well, after waiting a few years. They've no real excuses, and the PC is definitely not dead.
 Kurgan
07-02-2008, 8:13 AM
Pity...

I mean yeah, doing it for consoles they really only have to test a handful of systems, whereas with the PC they have to test a lot more to account for the diversity of hardware. But then they have this thing called "patches" (I never thought I'd see the day when console games are even getting patched), meaning (sad to say) we PC gamers are used to games being "Half broken" out of the box... so long as they get patched up within a month or two and the game shows enough potential to make us willing to wait.

Still, it's a shame... I think it's probably, as others have speculated, backroom deals and maximizing profit for the least amount of work.

In a day and age when they can release Doom3 on the consoles and it looks worse than on the PC (and at the time, who had the hardware to run D3 smoothly at max settings on the PC when it first came out?)... and a niche franchise like Highlander can get a game on all the systems (including PC).... that's just bogus.

The whole "the physics are just too intense!" excuse didn't fly with me when Obi-Wan was canceled on the PC...

And making people buy a $20 gamepad isn't really a big deal either (considering they'll spend more than that on ram and video cards just to get the most out of their PC games).

I almost bought their excuses for TFU being console-only until I heard about the PS2 and DS versions...

I guess this is just one more LA game I won't be playing except for 5 mins in the store (probably not even that because there's always a line of kids on those things).
Page: 1 of 2