Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Darth Vader using LIGHTNING?!

Page: 2 of 3
 littleman794
04-10-2008, 8:01 PM
I strongly agree with Miltiades... :) :) :)
 JoeDoe 2.0
04-10-2008, 8:18 PM
^Dude, srsly, just because Vader can use lightning does not mean its the end of the world. The game is based is based on a Sci-Fi universe, and to make it more appealing they may have some little changes.
 Astor
04-11-2008, 2:12 AM
I understand the fact that the main reason they did it was for multiplayer, but still...........

Then why keep complaining? You can't change it, so why not just accept it? It is one tiny thing.
 adamqd
04-11-2008, 3:57 AM
he can't...the time is set between the III and IV movies....

I know all about when it is set, and what is happening in the SW universe (Maybe a bit too much :)) and I agree with your reasoning, but what I was trying to say is, if George says that Vader can use lightning now (He hasn't to my knowledge, just making a point) then he can, Whether we like it or not GL is the Maker and everything must fit in with his vision of Star Wars, if not, it is considered C or N canon, Nothing is set in stone.

For the record I DON'T think Vader should use Lightning, the established reasons why he can't make sense to me. I'm just trying to explain that things change :)
 Miltiades
04-11-2008, 9:47 AM
^Dude, srsly, just because Vader can use lightning does not mean its the end of the world. The game is based is based on a Sci-Fi universe, and to make it more appealing they may have some little changes.
I was just kidding. I don't feel that strongly about it. Should've added a smiley. :)
 littleman794
04-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Then why keep complaining? You can't change it, so why not just accept it? It is one tiny thing.

i know, i was just bringing it up, because it is kind of sad...
 Jvstice
04-11-2008, 11:26 AM
I know all about when it is set, and what is happening in the SW universe (Maybe a bit too much :)) and I agree with your reasoning, but what I was trying to say is, if George says that Vader can use lightning now (He hasn't to my knowledge, just making a point) then he can, Whether we like it or not GL is the Maker and everything must fit in with his vision of Star Wars, if not, it is considered C or N canon, Nothing is set in stone.

For the record I DON'T think Vader should use Lightning, the established reasons why he can't make sense to me. I'm just trying to explain that things change :)

I guess he could do as major a rewrite as that, but from a keeping fans point of view, that really would be like killing the goose that lays the golden eggs to that vastly undercut his own characterization and people he's licenced to his franchise without some sort of explanation.
 Astor
04-11-2008, 12:40 PM
I guess he could do as major a rewrite as that, but from a keeping fans point of view, that really would be like killing the goose that lays the golden eggs to that vastly undercut his own characterization and people he's licenced to his franchise without some sort of explanation.

I severely doubt he would rewrite SW to such a degree, but I think adamqd's point is that, at the end of the day, GL can do what he likes with his creations, and no amount of complaining by fans can stop that.

We should count ourselves lucky - some things have massive rewrites (Enterprise, anyone?)
 adamqd
04-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Thats exactly what I'm saying Astor :)
 littleman794
04-11-2008, 2:13 PM
GL can do what he likes with his creations, and no amount of complaining by fans can stop that.

I know, but it is still extremely disturbing....do you agree?
 Astor
04-11-2008, 2:17 PM
No, I don't. I personally don't have a problem whether Vader can use Lightning or not - there have been bigger controversies in Star Wars.

It's really not worth getting worked up over, man - just play the game when it comes out, and enjoy it! I know I will :)
 Nedak
04-11-2008, 2:32 PM
God, this thread is getting annoying.
 littleman794
04-11-2008, 2:41 PM
God, this thread is getting annoying.

exactly!!!

It's really not worth getting worked up over, man - just play the game when it comes out, and enjoy it! I know I will :)

i will enjoy it! and your making it sound like im a lot more worked up than i actually am....like i said in the first post: i just thought it was a pretty bad flaw, that is all....

i hope no one here thinks this is an arguement.....it is in fact a debate...

so i hope no one is getting any hard feelings, cuz i still think all you guys are pretty cool and im not trying to make any enemies out of this....

:xp: :xp:
 Henz
04-11-2008, 8:04 PM
Oh My God.

This thread was n00b-tastic; now it is just plain retarded.

I'd normally respond: "It's a fantasy film! GET OVER IT!", but it's a GAME based on a fantasy film. It's a whole new level of pointless nitpicking. It may have escaped some people's attention but the whole game is insanely over the top. There's a completely unknown character raping the universe with the force, and some lightning gets up your nose? It's supposed to be a bit of fun.
 DAWUSS
04-11-2008, 9:59 PM
Although I will say this:

This debate has NOTHING on the gender alignment on the Exile. Absolutely nothing.
 Qwerty Uiop
04-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I know, but it is still extremely disturbing....do you agree?

I think I'll just point to your signature in this case.
 Rev7
04-12-2008, 2:01 AM
yes, but it defies Star Wars Logic...
Does Star Wars really have much logic!? Its Star Wars!

Back on topic: It really doesn't matter all that much to me is Darth Vader actually gets to use force lightning in TFU. It will still be an awesome game. I think that if Darth Vader actually can use Force Lightning, it would have been a mistake that would have gone unnoticed...
 littleman794
04-12-2008, 12:05 PM
it would have been a mistake that would have gone unnoticed...

yes, that is possible...that, or he is so ripped with the force that he can heal himself so fast that you don't even notice he was hurt......but i dont like that idea, i like the mistake possibility better...

ps, did anyone see the force unleashed on gametrailers tv lastnight??(i watched it on spike tv)
 holyhyan
04-13-2008, 1:49 PM
Relax everyone, in the singleplayer, Vader can't, he CAN't use force lightning. The apprentice uses lightning, but instead, Vader gets force choke. In duel mode however, he can use it but that's probably for gameplay and balancing reasons or something.
 PoiuyWired
04-13-2008, 2:40 PM
Well, there is generally two ways to do multiplayer.
1) You get different characters with different abilities. You need to balance everyone, do a bunch of playtesting, and balance more. Think Pikachu vs Sonic vs Mario vs Falcon Punch!!!

2) You have AVATARS of different characters. Other than that, everyone is the same. You are either given a set of base abilities, or given a bunch of stuff to choose from, think JK series.

I think they are doing it like the JK series where character models are in no way related to how you play them in multiplayer, theya re just... models. SO you can do stuff like force grip boba or DS ObiWan or Sith JarJar.
 littleman794
04-14-2008, 4:41 PM
Relax everyone, in the singleplayer, Vader can't, he CAN't use force lightning. The apprentice uses lightning, but instead, Vader gets force choke. In duel mode however, he can use it but that's probably for gameplay and balancing reasons or something.

well, that's a plus......
 GeneralPloKoon
04-15-2008, 9:25 AM
Jeez its just a game, I mean I can't live without lighting, even if Vader can't use it....we all know he owns anyways....
 littleman794
04-15-2008, 9:28 AM
yes, but they can't change all history and make it so he can..
 Astor
04-15-2008, 10:04 AM

Why not?
 adamqd
04-15-2008, 10:47 AM
it's called ret-conn, and they can I'm afraid, I doubt they will though, as said earlier it's just for Game Mechanics...
 littleman794
04-15-2008, 12:43 PM
I doubt they will though

yes, that is what i meant....
 SecretVader
04-20-2008, 2:04 PM
First off, I don't even see where Vader is using lightning in anything they've showed us so far (except duel mode screens and videos). Vader's choke is exclusive to him, and lightning is given to the apprentice.

I can't believe everyone overeacted over nothing.

EDIT:
Sorry, didn't see the post a couple above me saying the exact same thing.
No hard feelings meant to anyone.
 littleman794
04-21-2008, 12:50 PM
it's okay Secret Vader....but i personally dont think we're over-reacting...

we are just having a debate...;)
 Ztalker
04-21-2008, 4:25 PM
Well, at a debate, you try to persuade the others by arguments. So far, it's basically nothing more then..."ZOMFG!!11 Vad0r uses lightning! Can't happen!" :xp:

I've seen good proof here that the single player Vader is just the one from the movies, without the lightning. But for 'honest match' reasons, he can use it in multiplayer, without frying his own behind off :)

Let's just leave it at that, shall we, gentleman/ladies?
 DAWUSS
04-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Well, MP has less canon status than SP
 littleman794
04-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Well, MP has less canon status than SP

what?
 adamqd
04-22-2008, 12:25 PM
^^^

Well for example MP has got players from different era's, which cant fight each other unless they can flow walk lol, whereas the SP game will probably have a canon plotline (Be it Darkside, Neutral or Lightside) thus being a higher lvl of canon :)
 littleman794
04-22-2008, 12:27 PM
^^^^

i mean what is MP and SP?......im not very smart....
 adamqd
04-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Multiplayer and singleplayer ;)
 littleman794
04-22-2008, 12:44 PM
oooooooh......okayyyyyy...........DUH!!!!!!!i am sooooo dumb....hehe

thx a lot man.....LOL!!!
 Micahc
04-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Why are you so concerned about realism in a game where you use light sabers, fly across the Galaxy faster than the speed of light, shoot lasers, and control an omnipotent energy?
 littleman794
04-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Because it breaks Star Wars realism......
 adamqd
04-25-2008, 1:15 PM
Google "Han shot first", Ret-Conn's are going on all the time ;). Joking aside, if the Vader using Lightning is just in MP then it's completely acceptable IMO.
 littleman794
04-25-2008, 1:54 PM
what does IMO stand for???I are stoopid...:xp:
 adamqd
04-25-2008, 2:48 PM
IMO= In my Opinion :)
 PoiuyWired
04-25-2008, 3:30 PM
Google "Han shot first", Ret-Conn's are going on all the time ;). Joking aside, if the Vader using Lightning is just in MP then it's completely acceptable IMO.

Yes, and MP are done for fun, not realism. Cause normally Jedi or Sith would not call someone using a gun a "cheating m00b", and Jedis/Siths don't run around carrying flags/yasalamaris from one place to another, and none of them would squeal like those annoying chipmunk kids with balls between a garlic grinder.
 Astor
04-25-2008, 5:31 PM
Yes, and MP are done for fun, not realism. Cause normally Jedi or Sith would not call someone using a gun a "cheating m00b", and Jedis/Siths don't run around carrying flags/yasalamaris from one place to another, and none of them would squeal like those annoying chipmunk kids with balls between a garlic grinder.

And most of those things you've mentioned are exactly the reason why I don't play online :lol:
 littleman794
04-25-2008, 8:08 PM
Yes.....i strongly understand that it is only for multiplayer......and that makes me very happy!!!
 Thrawn
07-09-2008, 9:34 PM
Vader never had his training fully completed by Palpatine because palps wanted to hold onto power for as long as possible. On top of that, you have to have conduits of living tissue to be able to use force lightning. So Vader is screwed on two fronts.

In MOTS, you could play as Vader in multilayer and outfit him with force lightning. Sure it didn't really fit into "reality," but it was still fun.
 Rev7
07-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Because it breaks Star Wars realism......
Do you actually believe that Star Wars has any real realism to it? Star Wars breaks a lot of rules....;)
 Astor
07-10-2008, 7:51 AM
*Sigh*

Do we really need to go over all this again? Didn't we argue this to death three months ago?
 RyuuKage
07-10-2008, 3:56 PM
exactly pho3nix!

so darth vader can NOT use lightning! So they are controdicting the fact that darth vader can not use lightning, no matter how powerful he is with the force.

it's simple logic!!

i think someone should tell them or george lucas...

(")>.<(")
hello? duel mode! it's not canonical so such restrictions aren't very important...in ACTUAL gameplay (as in campaign) he can't use lightning. Instead he gets Choke.
 Lord Foley
07-16-2008, 12:30 PM
omfg guyz thay r having liteside karaktrs use forse litening 2!!!1!
 Ryazan
08-19-2008, 2:31 PM
He could always have gotten some kind of special apparatus for his prosthetic hands that allow him to cast Force Lightning or at least some kind of energy similar to Force Lightning. Kind of like how Lumiya got her prosthetic arms enhanced with energy bolt launchers.
 Juno Eclipse
08-19-2008, 8:36 PM
He could always have gotten some kind of special apparatus for his prosthetic hands that allow him to cast Force Lightning or at least some kind of energy similar to Force Lightning. Kind of like how Lumiya got her prosthetic arms enhanced with energy bolt launchers.

He cannot use lightning! It's just for MP! Vader has no special "apparatus!" :swear:
Page: 2 of 3