Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Darth Vader using LIGHTNING?!

Page: 1 of 3
 littleman794
04-07-2008, 2:53 PM
In the upcoming game, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed when you play as Darth Vader, you can use lightning. The thing is, he can't!!

In Star Wars Episode III, Darth Sidious considers leaving Anakin because he can not use lightning! Why? You need living hands to cast it!
Darth Vader can not use lightning, because his hands(and most of his body) are made of metal, therefore he can not use lightning. I wonder if they got George Lucas' permission to give Darth Vader that power.

If anyone else notices this vital flaw, tell me what you think.

littleman794
(")>.<(")
 Jeff
04-07-2008, 2:57 PM
When in the movie does he consider leaving Anakin? There is no real mention in the movies that Anakin can't use lighting, he just never does. And I've heard that you have to have real hands to use lightning but where does this fact actually come from? Because in Episode III the game both Anakin and Darth Vader can use lighting.
 Ztalker
04-07-2008, 2:59 PM
Relax, take a breath, and look again :)

It's the Wii version you're talking about. It has this duel mode thing. And the whole thought behind this particular mode (as one of the developers explained) it to recreate the famous movie duels but WITH the apprentice powers.

And that's why Vader is using lightning. Concider it artistic license or a way to make this particular mode more interesting :D

EDIT: It is stated in several expanded Universe material that Palpatine would sometimes frighten Vader with force lightning since it would instantly kill his circuitry. It seems metalman realy can't use it...
 Jeff
04-07-2008, 3:05 PM
OK, that makes sense since the lightning did basically kill him in RotJ.

In the announcement on SpikeTV last night they also showed Vader using lightning against the apprentice when you play as him in the first level, and I'm guessing they were showing the Xbox 360 or PS3 versions. Still not a big deal, the game is supposed to be over the top and all that.
 littleman794
04-07-2008, 3:08 PM
ya, but it still makes it kinda annoying for any fans.
 Inyri
04-07-2008, 3:09 PM
I think it would be one thing to be attacked with Force lightning and a very different thing to use it. You would think, being as powerful as he is, that Vader would naturally be able to channel the lightning to avoid any obviously necessary circuitry (wasn't the majority in his torso?). Plus metal is a good electrical conductor -- he could channel it right down his arm like normal... you would suspect, anyway.
 littleman794
04-07-2008, 3:14 PM
yes, but if electricity is FLOWING through the metal in him(which is touching his remaining flesh)it would still effect him at least a little.

So if he could use it, there should be a certain period of time as he recovers briefly before he can use it again.
 Miltiades
04-07-2008, 6:06 PM
It's the Wii version you're talking about. It has this duel mode thing. And the whole thought behind this particular mode (as one of the developers explained) it to recreate the famous movie duels but WITH the apprentice powers.
I'm not sure if that's the Wii version, but I think the PSP version has that as well. The goal of the duel mode is to give the player the chance to play those vital moments of the movies on the Wii/PSP, but indeed, with the Unleashed Force powers from the story mode.
 tyrone333
04-07-2008, 6:21 PM
The psp version has darth vader using lighting i swear i saw vader losing health when he used and luke can use it as well.
 Qwerty Uiop
04-07-2008, 6:22 PM
ya, but it still makes it kinda annoying for any fans.

I can just avoid using lightning in the first level when playing as Vader.
 Miltiades
04-07-2008, 8:17 PM
The psp version has darth vader using lighting i swear i saw vader losing health when he used
If you look closely, you can see Vader doesn't lose health when using Force Lightning in his duel with Luke on the PSP version.
 JoeDoe 2.0
04-07-2008, 9:27 PM
I always thought that the LIGHTNING Power used the your body's static electricity (or the electrical shocks used by the nerves) and amplified them using the force. Yeah Vader and Anakin could use Lightning on the Ep 3 game, but I guess they just did it to make them more powerful
 Pho3nix
04-08-2008, 8:38 AM
As far as I know, Vader can't use Force Lightning because of his armor.

"It should be noted that Darth Vader, despite being a powerful Sith Lord, was unable to generate or deflect Force lightning. This was due to his cybernetic implants, and any attempt by Vader to generate it would cause it to backfire, electrocuting his life-support systems, causing it to short-circuit and kill him."

Taken from Wookieepedia (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dart...Force_potential).
 littleman794
04-08-2008, 11:57 AM
exactly pho3nix!

so darth vader can NOT use lightning! So they are controdicting the fact that darth vader can not use lightning, no matter how powerful he is with the force.

it's simple logic!!

i think someone should tell them or george lucas...

(")>.<(")
 JoeDoe 2.0
04-08-2008, 12:53 PM
^I think its incorporated in the game because you can alter things on them :p
 littleman794
04-08-2008, 1:40 PM
true, but you can not ignore the fact that it is IMPOSSIBLE...

this is just one of those things that i will not be able to get over...

(")>.<(")
 Lantzen
04-08-2008, 1:41 PM
i think someone should tell them or george lucas...

(")>.<(")I hope you are kidding. The purpose of the game is "To kickass with the force". Who really cares about one detail that is so small ? I would be more worry with the story of the game then that detail. Or the fact, that if you really noob you could probaly die as Vader ^^ How would that look to the cannon :lol: "Darth Vader was infact not killed at the Death Star after throwing the Empire down a pit, he truly died by a raging wookie when he had his elite batlion of Stormtropper covering his back"
 littleman794
04-08-2008, 1:46 PM
I hope you are kidding. The purpose of the game is "To kickass with the force". Who really cares about one detail that is so small ? I would be more worry with the story of the game then that detail. Or the fact, that if you really noob you could probaly die as Vader ^^ How would that look to the cannon :lol: "Darth Vader was infact not killed at the Death Star after throwing the Empire down a pit, he truly died by a raging wookie when he had his elite batlion of Stormtropper covering his back"

ya, your right....it's not that big a deal, BUT IT IS STILL ANNOYING, right?:giveup:
 JoeDoe 2.0
04-08-2008, 1:52 PM
ya, your right....it's not that big a deal, BUT IT IS STILL ANNOYING, right?:giveup:

Not really.

As mentioned: I WANT TO KICK @$$ WITH THE FORCE!!
I don't care with what as long as I'm able to :xp:
 littleman794
04-08-2008, 1:59 PM
Not really.

As mentioned: I WANT TO KICK @$$ WITH THE FORCE!!
I don't care with what as long as I'm able to :xp:

yes, but you can KICK @$$ without lightning!!!

once again, IT DEFY'S ALL LOGIC!!!

:blaze6::blaze6::blaze6::blaze6::blaze6::blaze6:
 adamqd
04-08-2008, 2:14 PM
Logic rarely plays a part in space fantasy, the game mechanics must be non canon, but the chance to play a game like this will be cool
 PoiuyWired
04-08-2008, 2:56 PM
Well, think about this though. WHEN did Vader start not being able to use lightning. Maybe he is able to use it BEFORE the whole armor destruction thing as shown in the model. Its the extensive damage to his life support system that causes his unablility to use lightning.

So basically, its like how General Goofyous keeps coughing and stuff cause of internal damage to his life support system.
 Ztalker
04-08-2008, 3:00 PM
Hmmm...interesting theory, PoiuyWired.

You mean to say that...say, if the game starts 2 days after Anakin becomes Darth Vader. Which is before any canon information about him NOT being able to use lightning, the creators of this game have the freedom to DO make him use Lightning, but only have to provide a reason with it why he doesn't in the next canon material?

Because it sounds good. We KNOW there is a 'battle damaged' Vader toy out there. The damage there could be the reason he can't use it anymore :D
 Qwerty Uiop
04-08-2008, 5:27 PM
It's most likely for gameplay reasons. I can just avoid using the lightning. Vader has other powers.
 tyrone333
04-08-2008, 7:26 PM
I just want to force push a ship at bunch of stormtroopers and then use lighting to blow them away.
 littleman794
04-08-2008, 7:44 PM
Logic rarely plays a part in space fantasy, the game mechanics must be non canon, but the chance to play a game like this will be cool

yes, but it defies Star Wars Logic...:rifle1:

Hmmm...interesting theory, PoiuyWired.

You mean to say that...say, if the game starts 2 days after Anakin becomes Darth Vader. Which is before any canon information about him NOT being able to use lightning, the creators of this game have the freedom to DO make him use Lightning, but only have to provide a reason with it why he doesn't in the next canon material?

Because it sounds good. We KNOW there is a 'battle damaged' Vader toy out there. The damage there could be the reason he can't use it anymore :D

Excellent point Ztalker, that may just be true, and you may have just finally calmed me down..I will have to do some research on that idea...

:yelbounc::yelbounc::yelbounc::yelbounc:
 Zerimar Nyliram
04-08-2008, 8:13 PM
Okay, people, I will tell let you in on a truth that applies to every single video game ever made: gameplay is never canon.
 Jvstice
04-08-2008, 8:41 PM
Well, think about this though. WHEN did Vader start not being able to use lightning. Maybe he is able to use it BEFORE the whole armor destruction thing as shown in the model. Its the extensive damage to his life support system that causes his unablility to use lightning.

So basically, its like how General Goofyous keeps coughing and stuff cause of internal damage to his life support system.

Well in Dark Lord: the Rise of Darth Vader, he's still recovering from the loss of his arms and legs and the grafting on of is suit when Palpatine says that his cyborg parts will make him never able to use force lightning. So there's really no way to fit the ability into canon once Darth Vader both has his armor and is up and walking around once he's had his lifesaving surgery after his fight with Ben Kenobi, no matter how you look at it.
 littleman794
04-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Exactly, so I was right the whole time!!

No matter how much force Darth Vader has, he can not physically possible use lightning.

Ha!
 Jeff
04-09-2008, 1:40 AM
Sounds like you guys are right, I agree with Zerimar though: the gameplay itself is not canon, its the story that is canon.
 littleman794
04-09-2008, 12:25 PM
oh, by the way guys.....hehe..PREPARE YOURSELVES, THIS MAY SOUND LIKE A REALLY STUPID QUESTION, BUT IT IS MOST LIKELY COMING FROM A VERY STUPID PERSON...aka:me.....

here goes: what is canon??

there! I typed it and now i feel twice as stupid....nonetheless, please answer it anyway...

hehe....:D
 Zerimar Nyliram
04-09-2008, 1:25 PM
Basically "canon" or "canonical" refers to events that are considered to have happened.

Here's (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon) a pretty good article on it.
 adamqd
04-09-2008, 1:41 PM
Thats what I was gonna link too :), yes canon is an "Official" version of a story, or Characters and events deemed part of the continuity by Lucas and his crew, Canon is separated into different levels, this is organized by Leland Chee and Lucas Licensing... Well... check the Link :D ^^^
 littleman794
04-09-2008, 3:56 PM
cool, ok....I still don't understand much, but i don't really mind...

ill get someday soon....

Well in Dark Lord: the Rise of Darth Vader, he's still recovering from the loss of his arms and legs and the grafting on of is suit when Palpatine says that his cyborg parts will make him never able to use force lightning. So there's really no way to fit the ability into canon once Darth Vader both has his armor and is up and walking around once he's had his lifesaving surgery after his fight with Ben Kenobi, no matter how you look at it.

so, i guess that statement raps it up guys.

but, hey! It was one heck of a debate...!!:shadow:shadow

anyways...I wonder if the makers of the game might think twice about letting darth vader use lightning..

message:i am not really concluding this thread, feel free two keep on talking on this subject or another..

littleman794----(")>.<(")
 adamqd
04-09-2008, 4:45 PM
You've got to imagine that this game is to Star Wars, what NBA Jam was to basketball, its set in the Basketball league, using real Players just with over the top skills, this is a canon story with canon Characters, it's just got caricatured Force Powers. the same thinking should be adopted with a lot of EU...

"The analogy is that every piece of published Star Wars fiction is a window into the 'real' Star Wars universe. Some windows are a bit foggier than others. Some are decidedly abstract. But each contains a nugget of truth to them. Like the great Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi said, 'many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view.'"

It's just for the sake of the Game play, Mainly (From what I can tell) for the VS Mode
 Astor
04-09-2008, 5:42 PM
It's just for the sake of the Game play, Mainly (From what I can tell) for the VS Mode

That's exactly what it is, and why it's in there. It's one tiny point - what next? Are we going to complain because Vader's life support is flashing the wrong colours? :lol:
 Inyri
04-09-2008, 5:45 PM
Are we going to complain because Vader's life support is flashing the wrong colours? :lol:Yes! Lightbulbs don't burn out in Star Wars! :p
 littleman794
04-09-2008, 6:06 PM
Yes! Lightbulbs don't burn out in Star Wars! :p

nice one!

yes, i realize that, but if someone takes a break from the game, that night in bed they realize that it is still not possible.No matter what!
 Astor
04-10-2008, 4:27 AM
Yes! Lightbulbs don't burn out in Star Wars!

Did I just get 'served'? :xp:

But surely you understand my point?

yes, i realize that, but if someone takes a break from the game, that night in bed they realize that it is still not possible.No matter what!

Why is such a game ending thing? If you don't like that he has lightning for MP reasons or whatever, then don't use it!
 littleman794
04-10-2008, 9:27 AM
If you don't like that he has lightning for MP reasons or whatever, then don't use it!

I won't!!!....
 Nedak
04-10-2008, 3:06 PM
nice one!

Then sleep tight ;)
 mrpanicy
04-10-2008, 3:35 PM
What does it matter. Yes, we know he can't use lightning, those of us who read the EU do anyway. But the game makers took some artistic license. From the sounds of it it was for duel mode. And apparently its supposedly rediculous, because everyone and anyone can use "Dark Side" powers. (I use quotations because during the Killik novels there are discussions on if the force even has a Dark Side and Light Side, that its more how you use it)

If there is anything we should be arguing over its if Jedi who shouldn't use these powers can. Such as if Luke uses them, should he be allowed too?
 littleman794
04-10-2008, 3:40 PM
If there is anything we should be arguing over its if Jedi who shouldn't use these powers can. Such as if Luke uses them, should he be allowed too?

nice point...so neither darth vader, luke, or any other jedi should be able to use force lightning!!

*hmph!!!*that is very annoying!!.....

If I were a maker of the game, I wouldn't care about multiplayer players being able to not use lightning as luke.....they could suck it up and play as the apprentice if the lightning power is thatspecial...

flamthro
 mrpanicy
04-10-2008, 3:45 PM
Or it could be balanced somehow. I know Corran Horn for one can absorb power. I am not saying everyone can do it (I know Luke can, to a much lesser extent), but lets use creative thinking, rather then everyone being the same mix it up. Thats why I loved Jedi Academy's multiplayer, so many options, so many cool things that could happen.
 littleman794
04-10-2008, 4:19 PM
true, but that still doesn't handle the fact that darth vader can not use lightning...

like jvstice said:

take that!
 adamqd
04-10-2008, 5:41 PM
I know where your coming from Littleman, but the whole Idea of the game is to use ridicules powers that aren't "realistic" or true to the films, The Idea of an apprentice pulling a Star Destroyer out of orbit is so non canon its got supershadow (Wookiee it ;))written on it. This is where your earlier question about canon and its various levels come in to play.

eg: In the EU Sidious can create force storms in space and destroy entire new republic fleets, In the Films (Which are the highest canon) The Jedi and Sith don't use Powers anything near that magnitude.

The licensed Games and books are fantasy within the fantasy, certain aspects are to be taken with a pinch of salt. Besides with George signing off on it, maybe Vader CAN use lightning now... Bigger things have been ret-conned :)
 Henz
04-10-2008, 6:25 PM
This thread is n00b-tastic.
 littleman794
04-10-2008, 6:31 PM
This thread is n00b-tastic.

i agreee....lolz

maybe Vader CAN use lightning now...

he can't...the time is set between the III and IV movies....

I understand the fact that the main reason they did it was for multiplayer, but still...........
 DAWUSS
04-10-2008, 7:01 PM
Darth Vader MAY have used Force Lightning during the attack on the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, where he still had 3 natural limbs... :P

But I thought Vader's Force Lightning restrictions was nothing more than a theory mentioned in a few author interviews...
 Miltiades
04-10-2008, 7:06 PM
The licensed Games and books are fantasy within the fantasy, certain aspects are to be taken with a pinch of salt. Besides with George signing off on it, maybe Vader CAN use lightning now... Bigger things have been ret-conned :)
Oh no! If it does, then I'll... I'll... I don't know what I'll do, but it won't be pretty! Seriously, while I don't think Lucas is always choosing what's best for SW & the EU, some things should be left alone.
Page: 1 of 3