Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Modders ?

Page: 1 of 1
 settoken
03-06-2008, 3:58 PM
hi

Anybody interested in making a mod ? I'm down

I know photoshop and 3ds max

Let me know if you want a mate, or just if you have ideas or requests

PS: please excuse my english
 Ferc Kast
03-06-2008, 4:54 PM
I have a request for you, if you're willing; It may be a little too much for you, though. Could you make this (http://www.yourprops.com/norm-47056d6244bab-Star+Wars+custom+lightsabers.jpeg) lightsaber for TSL? Also, could you make this (http://www.yourprops.com/norm-44a6806ca4229-Star+Wars+custom+lightsabers.jpeg) lightsaber for TSL?
 settoken
03-06-2008, 5:32 PM
It's more about making brand new heads and/or robes...
A lot of people here has more experience than me in lighsaber moddeling

In fact, what I want is to take part in a mod project, like adding a new planet or story line or making a headpack or robe pack, something like that
 Darth Payne
03-06-2008, 5:35 PM
DarthDingDong is working on a new planet for K1 called Korak.
 settoken
03-06-2008, 5:42 PM
thx danyael

yeah it looks interesting but ...

My goal, if I find enough modders to help me (2,3 or 4 may be) is to make an "apparte" in the main quest.

The idea is not very clear at the moment but let's build it together if you guys have imagination :
something like a call, a vision or just an artifact reveals to you (REVAN) a way to the true ancient siths. It may be in Korriban. It may be hidden...
the thing, a tomb you can explore, lets you discover a way (something like a hyperspace lane) to an unknown or unexplored world near the outer rim.
that's the beginning

As a sith or as a jedi, you have to discover why the force wants you to know what nobody else knows, so you can't resist and go straight to the planet (after the leviathan ).
before you land on this world you feel a special wave in the Force, a hard dark taste of true hate.
you follow your instinct and land somewhere, I don't know how it could be, but there are many signs of an ancient civilization. A civilization older than the republic itself. Older than the rakatan's conquest of the Galaxy. The people who lived here is as old as the Knowledge of the Force !!! the true ancient sith race, it's their home world.
Here you'll learn some parts of their tragedy, you'll learn (dreams, visions, legends of the native) how the first they mastered the force and how they unbalanced it, creating two ways of feeling it. Preparing the whole galaxy to suffer for ages...
You'll also learn something like a prophecy...;-)
Of course there would be some quest or initiation, but the main thing (as I can imagine it now) is more a spiritual travel through the origin of the force, and an explaination of the futur disappearance of revan in the wild space, as told in TSL.

Let me know what you think about it
 Darth InSidious
03-06-2008, 6:04 PM
Adding new heads is impossible.
 Marius Fett
03-06-2008, 6:06 PM
DarthDingDong is working on a new planet for K1 called Korak.

I surely am! :)

It's on hold for a while though while i'm working on the K1 USM.
 Sithspecter
03-06-2008, 6:08 PM
No new heads? I looked on Kotor Files and found several 'head' mods. But I haven't DL'd them, so I wouldn't know.

@Settoken: Are you just a modeller, or do you do nice retextures? I'm working on the Sleheyron Restoration, and if you could just do reskins and/or new textures, it would be nice.
 Inyri
03-06-2008, 6:11 PM
No new heads? I looked on Kotor Files and found several 'head' mods.Those are reskins (potentially model tweaks) but they are not considered brand new heads -- those are impossible. This is what DI meant.
 settoken
03-06-2008, 6:26 PM
@Settoken: Are you just a modeller, or do you do nice retextures? I'm working on the Sleheyron Restoration, and if you could just do reskins and/or new textures, it would be nice.

yeah I can do that
 Sithspecter
03-06-2008, 6:32 PM
Ah. Well, that's too bad. Maybe with better tools in the future (not that MDLOps, KAurora, and NWmax aren't bad, they just have...a few holes, that's all) we can do that. Back in 2004, I know completely new modules would have been impossible. BTW, Inyri, you're one of the best modders I've known. Recruitable Kay is just awesome.

yeah I can do that

Alright, we've got a pretty large team already, but I think if you could do some high-quality textures for us, they would be a lot better than just my recolored ones. Send me a sample and I'll check it out. Here's the link to our Sleheyron Modding Forums:http://www.sleheyron.proboards49.com/)
 settoken
03-06-2008, 6:39 PM
new heads impossible ?
that's a pity
what's the problem with it ? we can export heads models and animations vectors (vectors? don't know if it's correct)
btw, remoddeling a head is possible in theory, you just have to respect the scale of the original model and its number of faces...
please explain what is the problem about it

PS : check my second post and let me how you feel the idea

Here's the link to our Sleheyron Modding Forums:http://www.sleheyron.proboards49.com/)

Ok I'm gonna see it tomorrow, because it's late here
I pm you sithspecter

what do you want exactly ?

You want me to reskin what ?
 rictus135
03-07-2008, 3:59 AM
I take it you're just working with K1 Settoken?

If not, would you mind having a go at this? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=156215)
 Quanon
03-07-2008, 12:00 PM
new heads impossible ?
that's a pity
what's the problem with it ? we can export heads models and animations vectors (vectors? don't know if it's correct)
btw, remoddeling a head is possible in theory, you just have to respect the scale of the original model and its number of faces...
please explain what is the problem about it

Its mainly we don't have Tools/Programs who can convert correctly what we modelled and animated to the File type Kotor uses.

Well we're sort of half way there, though.
Still there's lots to be sorted out. But the more people mess around and try things, the faster we might have a breakthrough on it all.
 settoken
03-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Its mainly we don't have Tools/Programs who can convert correctly what we modelled and animated to the File type Kotor uses.

Well we're sort of half way there, though.
Still there's lots to be sorted out. But the more people mess around and try things, the faster we might have a breakthrough on it all.

ok the mdlops doesn't convert the models we make to models we can use in kotor exact ?
So if I export a head from game data to 3ds max using kotor tool and nwmax, don't make any change, and just re import it in kotor using mdlops again, it's neither supposed to work...or is it just a problem with anims ?

Rictus : just Kotor 1 yup
I can make music and mess with sounds if someone's interested

What about my piece of story guys ?
 Quanon
03-07-2008, 3:59 PM
ok the mdlops doesn't convert the models we make to models we can use in kotor exact ?
So if I export a head from game data to 3ds max using kotor tool and nwmax, don't make any change, and just re import it in kotor using mdlops again, it's neither supposed to work...or is it just a problem with anims ?

Hйh , there's a big change that the Mesh get beaten up or that the head will be out of place.

I once did small edits, just removing a small piece and I had good looking head, it did the animations, well kind off. The head was floating just next to the body.

Comical :lol:

Anyway, you can edit the orginal heads somewhat, with moving the verts around and all. But you'll have to use Tania's replacer to get them to work in the game.

See, the problem is there still some parts of the model files , we don't understand what they're exactly for.

Importing things in Max is easy, but getting it back to the game is where it goes wrong.

Plus there seems to be a differance in how NWmax works in Max and G-Max.
I'm very sure now that NWmax lacks exporting in Max.

When you export a model out. The file is in an ASCII format, which contains plain english, which you can easly read.

I've exported out the same 3D object with both programs and then compared the ASCII code files.
It looks like the Max made file just seems to forget a couple of lines.
Their just small details, but it can be annoying...

Anyway, I'm just glad we're kind of attracting Modellers to the modding community again.

PS: When you go nuts on problems I'm sure you'll attract Magnusll to :p

He's the guy who made Kaurora and serioulys dug into all the 3D model files of the Kotor game.
 settoken
03-07-2008, 9:49 PM
ok
A guy has given me taina's replacer yesterday, so I don't know how it works,
but I've read somewhere that it works fine replacing vertex code lines in an ascii file.

I may be wrong, I'm gonna test it.
At the moment I'm re-installing XP, its tweaks, and all my applications because of a bagle attack, so I can't very test what I'm talking about.

What's sure, is that I can't imagine modding without moddeling...So I really hope we're gonna find a solution
If Max just forgot a couple of lines, we may be able to add it correctly to the ascii...no?
A quick search on a neverwinter nights modding site has shown me that it's possible to make brand new models. The game use the Aurora engine to, it may works in Kotor with some adjustments (correct?)
Is the coder of the nwmax tool still down with the modding community ?
It's a shame after so many years that a game like KOTOR still can't be open to real, efficient modding...

My opinion, is that the main problem in the conversion process comes with the "grey base" under the model of a head for exemple. It seems as if the animations information about head movements and its links to the rest of the body, were corrupted during the conversion.

The fact that it changes depending on the 3D program you're using, makes me think that it's more a problem with reading the 3d program specific language; or just a specific configuration of it while working on kotor mdlops/nwmax exported models (hard).

We probably could find a way to import our models back in mdl, with the tools we have yet. I can't understand why it couldn't convert back what it can convert correctly...except if the scale or something else as been converted by the program to something specific to it, according with its settings.
An idea: May be the "grey base" (I've forgotten its name) looses its modifier status in max when it's imported in it. May be something else has to be a modifier while exported in order to work (animations keys and axis for example).

And what about the uvwmap ? is it possible to make a new one ?
We should compare taina's replacer verts details with max or gmax verts details.
Some options tweaks in max or nwmax may solve this, let's discover what...

Please reply to this, I'd enjoy to help making new heads moddeling possible

Ps : once again sorry for my english, I make my best, I know I'm hard to read
 Quanon
03-08-2008, 7:47 AM
If Max just forgot a couple of lines, we may be able to add it correctly to the ascii...no?

Yep, I do it all the time for my levels/areas I build. Cause some the 3D gets rotated badly, so I've got get in the ASCII file and alter the Orientation again to correct it all.

Like I said its rather small things that the export seems to forget. For example the SelfIllumination of Textures. The Diffuse and Ambient get out, but not SelfIllumColor, which is a handy thing to make your Light textures bright.

A more annoying thing is that it forgets the Keynode of the animation.
Just a few weeks back SithSpecter made a new door. I had a try at it aswell.
Model shows up in the game.

So I did my research and to my suprise the info for the Keysets are not exported out.

Anyway you can add them in manually, but the Key on frame 10 becomes number 0.333333 then followed by the X,Y,Z values of the Pivot point.

So I'm a bit wondering why/ how 10 becomes 0.33333...

A quick search on a neverwinter nights modding site has shown me that it's possible to make brand new models. The game use the Aurora engine to, it may works in Kotor with some adjustments (correct?)
Is the coder of the nwmax tool still down with the modding community ?
It's a shame after so many years that a game like KOTOR still can't be open to real, efficient modding...

Well, NWN engine is a bit differant then Kotors, their nearly the same...
Its these differances that make it hard to do the stuff we want :)

My opinion, is that the main problem in the conversion process comes with the "grey base" under the model of a head for exemple. It seems as if the animations information about head movements and its links to the rest of the body, were corrupted during the conversion.
The fact that it changes depending on the 3D program you're using, makes me think that it's more a problem with reading the 3d program specific language; or just a specific configuration of it while working on kotor mdlops/nwmax exported models (hard).

Would that be the AuroraBase ? Everymodel has one. It can be set to various types, like Door, Character... Other.

Well G-Max is a dumbed down version of Max 4, while I'm working with Max 9.
Perhaps newer versions of Max do things differantly and thats why ... eh things go slightly "wrong".

We probably could find a way to import our models back in mdl, with the tools we have yet. I can't understand why it couldn't convert back what it can convert correctly...except if the scale or something else as been converted by the program to something specific to it, according with its settings.
An idea: May be the "grey base" (I've forgotten its name) looses its modifier status in max when it's imported in it. May be something else has to be a modifier while exported in order to work (animations keys and axis for example).

MDLops was made to convert the ASCII to the Binary format Kotor uses for its MDLs and MDX files.

MDLops can't handle certain modifiers, like the Skin, which gets used for creatures, NPCS, heads....

But if you know a lot about how these things actually work, you should talk to Magnulls.
He's the one, making a new Tool to handle it all about our models.
So far he got things working for areas, he's now on cracking the Emitters.
He then plans on doing Animations.

Though I'm sure he would appriciate some help on understanding how Maxs does its things.

Its what I lack mostly, I can work with the program, but thats it...

And what about the uvwmap ? is it possible to make a new one ?

THats possible to do.

We should compare taina's replacer verts details with max or gmax verts details.
Some options tweaks in max or nwmax may solve this, let's discover what...

:lol: Go wild ! Wer'e not stopping you.

Please reply to this, I'd enjoy to help making new heads moddeling possible
Ps : once again sorry for my english, I make my best, I know I'm hard to read

Its everybodys dream here to get some new heads, though there might be things hard coded... like the bodys, there seems to be a maximum of models possible.

This could be the same with the heads.

And don't worry about your English, I'm no Enlishmen my self. So I often forget a word here or there.
 Sithspecter
03-08-2008, 11:52 AM
I've looked at two ASCII models in notepad (one straight converted from KotOR, the other pulled into NWMax and back out) And I found that extra fields have been added, but when I tried to remove the extra fields, the game crashes. I was just trying to make a new door to where it could block the camera, but so far I've failed. Even if you did figure out the heads, there would be no stopping the camera or blaster bolts from going through it or a new body, so you'd have to figure out the collision fields or whatever (if they're there).
 settoken
03-10-2008, 6:43 PM
 Quanon
03-10-2008, 6:53 PM
veltools (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=other.detail&id=12)

it could be usefull

Nice, I'll have to check it out to morrow to tired now to delve into this.
 Sithspecter
03-10-2008, 8:06 PM
Settoken, could you be more in-depth, and explain a bit.

Never mind that...

Do you know if NWmax exports collideable models into Neverwinter Nights?
 settoken
03-10-2008, 8:58 PM
I've just compared two ascii.mdl files.

One I get with mdlops 0.5 included in kotor tool,

the second one with mdlops 0.6.1alpha1.

There are so much differences between the two files !

Differences of values and (may be this explain that) a lot of new lines called "scale 1"

Do you know if NWmax exports collideable models into Neverwinter Nights?

ok ok

excuse me

I've made some research on NWN forums

I've found some usefull tools like MDL suite plugins (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Other.Detail&id=217)
and tile slicer (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Other.Detail&id=335)

I haven't tested it yet

You should search in the NWN modding forums, I've read a thread about "the

doors you can go through" problem, but I can't remember where it was.

It may be in a french site cos I can't find it back. I'll retry tomorrow I'm tired.

Anyway I think you could find some answers on these forums...(the nwn modding community is huge, so they probably have "collideable" objects for their mods)
 settoken
03-11-2008, 8:11 AM
here (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=other.Detail&id=92) is a tutorial on doors making for NWN

I hope this could help you
 memarik
03-11-2008, 9:11 AM
settoken can you help quanon and ferc whit the quarren pc head stuff? the quarren was kinda my requests and they helped out but now they have done a darkside transition quarren pc head and a lightside transition pc head quarren but they are separate pc heads.. my meaning of this request is to add only one jedi quarren pc head so that when you go to the darkside it becomes as the dark side quarren pc head they have made..

and i looked at this thread and if i understud right your kinda good whit heads/models right..?
 settoken
03-11-2008, 9:26 AM
No mamrick I'm sorry but I'm just a noob trying to help the community finding a way to make "brand new heads" possible...:-)

So I search and experiment.
But as Quanon said, the most we search the quicker we'll get it

I've asked some help to the NWmax development team...They are real 3d developpers, I'm not.
I'm waiting for their answer if I get one
 Quanon
03-11-2008, 9:29 AM
Good find settoken. Might give us some insight in the models of all kinds.
 memarik
03-11-2008, 9:30 AM
ok.. just asking.. but hey if you get an answer PM me ok..? cos yeah il play whit the jedi quarren but i would love to play it whitout using KSE when going to the dark side..
i guess you know what i mean buy my intention? :D

COME TO THE CHAT ARE EASIER TO COMMUNICATE ! ! ! ! ! :D

http://www.starwarsknights.com/chat.php)
 Inyri
03-11-2008, 10:18 AM
I've asked some help to the NWmax development team...They are real 3d developpers, I'm not.
I'm waiting for their answer if I get oneYou do realize NWN and KotOR are two different games, right? And that they do actually run on different engines (despite them being very similar)? I'm not sure how much the NWMax team will be able to help you, even if they wanted to. Not all NWN techniques just automatically work in KotOR.
 settoken
03-11-2008, 3:09 PM
of course I know that.

I've asked them some help because of that...

Anyway, as it uses the Aurora Engine, NWN tutorials are good reading.

It's our stuff to adapt what we read there to what we want.
 Inyri
03-11-2008, 4:05 PM
KotOR does not use the Aurora engine. It uses the Odyssey engine.
 settoken
03-11-2008, 4:43 PM
alright
It's still bioware's stuff
It's based on the Aurora Engine and uses 2DA files, mdl etc...
It's not the same but it's similar
So what are you meaning ?
Am I wasting my time ? that's ok
 Inyri
03-11-2008, 4:49 PM
The two engines are very similar, but it's kind of like humans are very similar to monkeys. Almost all the DNA's the same, but it's that 0.01% that's a real killer... Applying NWN techniques will only get you so far before the fact that MDLOps simply can't compile the model in-tact rears its ugly head; I really doubt it has anything to do with NWMax.

I'm just of the opinion that you're wasting your time by asking a group of folks uninvolved in KotOR tools (or with the game in any way, for that matter) when you have at least one person here actually making a modeling utility for this game. Suit yourself, though.
 settoken
03-11-2008, 5:25 PM
when you have at least one person here actually making a modeling utility for this game

Who is he ?

I agree there's a problem with mdlops, I've just experienced the head moving on the neck in a real strange way :lol: that's so weird :jab:

If I'm now sure by experiencing it myself that it can't compile ASCII to BIN correctly,
It also makes me doubt of its real ability to decompile mdls correctly...

Is NWNmdlcomp a better tool ?
What about Taina's replacer
 Inyri
03-11-2008, 5:36 PM
Taina's Replacer simply moves vert and/or uv coordinates on an existing model. Don't ask me how; that's not my thing.

If you're interested in utilities you should talk to magnusll.
 settoken
05-14-2008, 8:30 AM
I have made a Zabraak head using 3ds max and it looks like it works fine in game.
no weird moves no space-time distorsions
I'm a little lazy so I haven't mapped it yet but I will show you when it's done if you are interested

Edit: I used a vanilla head so I can't consider it a "brand new head" but it has something like 10 horns on the head.
I'm not using a mask for the horns so it's quite good I think.
Page: 1 of 1