Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Photoshop vs GIMP

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthSomething
10-24-2007, 10:39 PM
Can the same things be accomplished on either one? I ask because GIMP is free, and Photoshop isn't. So if I can use GIMP to do the same things, that would save a lot of money.
 herosinger
10-24-2007, 10:58 PM
I haven't actually ever tried GIMP, but I believe it does most everything you would need. And it's free. That's always a plus.
 Kainzorus Prime
10-25-2007, 9:50 AM
Gimp pretty much equals PS 7, I have experience in both, so it's proven claim.
 ChAiNz.2da
10-25-2007, 9:55 AM
While i'm an avid Photoshop user... I'd have to agree that for most graphic work, both Gimp and Paint.Net (http://www.getpaint.net/) are formidable graphics programs. Just because they're free doesn't mean they aren't powerful... ;)

I'd say you're pretty safe going with the free options. Most tutorials out there are for PS.. but Gimp has garnered a following so it wouldn't surprise me one bit to be able to find a slew of tutorials for it as well :)
 Marius Fett
10-25-2007, 1:00 PM
I Have Both Photoshop And GIMP But I Prefer Gimp :)

Easier To Work With I Find......
 Dashus
10-25-2007, 3:20 PM
Paint.NET rocks though I tend to prefer GIMP's multiple windows. Heads up if you're with a Wacom tablet though: I grabbed GIMP 2.4 last night and discovered that GIMP no longer recognized my tablet. I could draw but my pressure sensitivity was non-existent. 2.2 works fine though.
 GeorgNihilus
10-26-2007, 6:21 PM
Gimp opens a little faster and works fine with multiple windows as far as I know ... of course Photoshop has more filters, effects and that stuff but maybe you don't need all that to do some texturing ... :shads2:

good modding!
Page: 1 of 1