Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Tie Fighter - Trilogy Edition - Complications

Page: 1 of 1
 Jabun
08-08-2007, 6:49 PM
Hello,

I posted here a week ago about acquiring a joystick. I now have a Saitek Cyborg Evo Force.

Last week I was able to load Tie Fighter and get into the first mission. I couldn't move around because I didn't have a joystick. I have one now, but some problems have crept up.

The first problem is with 3D acceleration. Last time I figured this out or worked around it or something, I can't remember. Anyways, it asks me to install DirectX 5.0 or something similar. This won't let me load the game up. In order to get around this I go to Program Files and load up the Tie95.exe. I use compatibility mode (Windows 95). I get into the game, but when I try to load up the first mission it crashes to desktop. I get the general "an error has occurred and Tie95 had to close".

This didn't happen last time and I can't remember what I did to resolve this, if anything.

Thanks for reading this and thanks for any help that is offered.

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP2
Geforce 7800 GTX
1 GIG Ram
3.4 Intel P4
 Wildstar
08-08-2007, 7:04 PM
The X-Wing Trilogy version of TIE Fighter is exactly the same as that found in the X-Wing Collector's Series. Therefore, the compatibility fix found here (http://www.lucasfiles.com/?s=&action=file&id=653) should work. It will also solve the game asking for DirectX when it tries to load.
 Jabun
08-08-2007, 7:08 PM
UPDATE: I got the joystick to work, just needed to okay it with CP Game and Controllers.

A new problem, YAY! No audio. I get sound effects, but no audio.

I found a patch that makes it work. This solved both my problems.

http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1406&tstart=0)

Alas, another problem is at hand. My joystick is not working. (I should of got the Microsoft Sidewinder and avoided this problem)

Anyways, It's the Saitek Cyborg Evo Force.
 Jabun
08-09-2007, 1:02 PM
Alrighty, my above post is crap.

My problem is that I have no audio, but I have sound effects. This is my problem.

In my above post it seems as though I found a solution to this, but I didn't.
 Wildstar
08-09-2007, 2:28 PM
If you have more than one optical drive, make sure the CD is in the one with the lowest drive letter, no matter which drive you installed from (i.e. if you have optical drives with E: and F: designations, make sure it's in the E: drive).
 Jabun
08-10-2007, 1:54 PM
Wildstar - Worked perfectly! Thanks.

I miss the midi music though. :(

Anyways, is there a way to make the joystick more precise. When I was playing Tie Fighter on the old collectors edition with the mouse, I was able to steer with pinpoint accuracy.
 Wildstar
08-10-2007, 2:51 PM
I would assume force-feedback sticks are digital, so they should be pretty precise. To optimize it, you may want to calibrate it through the Game Controllers option in CP.

EDIT: If you're more used to using the mouse in the game, you might consider trying PPJoy (http://www.simtel.net/product.download.mirrors.php?id=75176), which is really a driver for old parallel-port joysticks, but can also be used to emulate a joystick with the keyboard or mouse. :D
 Jabun
08-10-2007, 9:58 PM
Awesome. PPJoy sounds pretty cool, but after having used the joystick all day I kinda of fell in love it. Adds a whole new element of fun and immersion to the game; having a hard time envisioning going back to the old keyboard and mouse combo. I'll check it out and see what happens.

Wildstar, you've been a huge help. Thank you! I really do appreciate it.
Page: 1 of 1