Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Question about a new NPC model

Page: 1 of 1
 pablo_fett
06-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if there are any tutorials out their about adding new NPC models to the game? I have seen many tutorials talking about editing existing ones, but I was wondering if it is possible to create new models? I've been following Darth333's Recruit in 10 steps tutorial to add a Dark Jedi NPC to they party, but I'd like to change the model from the existing Dark Jedi model to something a little different, but I dont want all of the Dark Jedi in the game to change. Is this possible?

Thanks for any help.
 SykoRevan
06-18-2007, 2:24 AM
If you're talking about making an entirely new character model, I'm afraid that's not possible at the moment.
 oldflash
06-18-2007, 4:20 AM
@pablo_fett: Well, acording to this tutorial (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=167221) you could try to create a fresh new model but only for body (armors, robess, cloth).
 Kha
06-18-2007, 9:35 AM
This fresh new model means that you could get a body model delete all its meshes and model new ones, but it has some limitations:

1. You will have to follow how the skeleton was constructed since it can not be changed, thus your meshes should be divided accordingly, and fit somehow to the skeleton. So find the skeleton with bones setup and animations that your meshes require.

2. Since you are changing the number of vertices, you will need to use MDlops to compile, so the seams between the meshes will be visible as it doesn't support smooth groups yet. ::gets down to her knees and begs shameless for someone to fix it:: :eyes3:

3. Much patience will be required to reassign the weighting of the bones on the meshes, so be prepared.

As how to add this new model into the game I think you will need to add a new row in the appearance.2da file for this new NPC, but the modders here could give you more info than I. ;)
 pablo_fett
06-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Sorry, I think I may have misphrased my question. This is all good stuff, but all I really want to do is change the skin of a Dark Jedi model to a little more red and add it in to the game as an NPC, but I dont want all of the Dark Jedi's in the game to become red. I changed the skin and I added it to the override folder, but i dont want this skin to override all of the darkjedim's to red. Is this possible?

Thank You
 SykoRevan
06-18-2007, 1:49 PM
Ahhhhh so this is a skinning question, not a model question. In that case, it is possible, although I would not know how to make the skin unique to one Dark Jedi, but I could make the skin.
 Master Zionosis
06-18-2007, 5:21 PM
Well to apply a new texture to only one NPC you would have to extract the dark jedi texture you want then edit the texture to what you want it to look like and change the number part of the filename of the texture to something higher than it is already (e.g 89) and then edit the .UTC file of the unique NPC and change the texture number box to the number you changed the texture .tga to, then place both files in the Override folder and that NPC will be the new applied texture.

That is only a basic guide to what you have to do, but it should be correct.
 pablo_fett
06-19-2007, 11:18 PM
OK, that seems logical, so I must be a moron. I changed the name of the skin to n_darkjedim99.tga and dropped it into the override folder. Then I opened up the utc file with kgff and changed the TextureVar value from 1 to 99. Then I recreated the mod file and dropped it into the modules directory. The dark jedi still looks gray, but when I changed the name of the skin back to n_darkjedim01.tga its red. Is there something Im missing?

Thank You for all of your help.
Page: 1 of 1