Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

My first KotOR II-mod. BIF question

Page: 1 of 1
 trettonkilolax
05-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Q: I've made a change to a BIF-file i the Kotor Tools and now I want to apply it to my game, how do I do this?

Specifics: When the changes has been made the Kotor Tools wonder where I would like to save the file, but if I just save it in the folder where Kotor Tools has been installed I guess nothing will happen. So where do I save it so that it applies to the game?

I would really appreciate your answers!
 ChAiNz.2da
05-30-2007, 11:56 AM
moved to Holowan since you'll likely get a better/faster response here in terms of modding/mechanics questions :)
 trettonkilolax
05-30-2007, 11:59 AM
moved to Holowan since you'll likely get a better/faster response here in terms of modding/mechanics questions :)

Thx m8!
 tk102
05-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Eek, you changed a .bif file? To answer your question, bif files go in the data folder inside the game installation folder. Did you also edit the chitin.key file at the same time? (you would need to). The chitin.key goes in the root of the game installation folder.

I strongly suggest you make backups of these files.

There is no reason to have to edit a .bif file. It is always better to extract the resource you want to use and place the modified version of the resource in the override folder.
 Pavlos
05-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Eek, you changed a .bif file?

From his description, it looks like he's exclusively using KotOR Tool and unless this is some new, crazy version I've never heard of (which is entirely possible given the way the laws of reality work around me :nut: ) you cannot rebuild .bif files with it. So I'm going to guess that trettonkilolax has simply edited a standard game resource and doesn't know where to put it - and I'm most likely wrong in this assumption. But I couldn't pass up an opportunity for exposition of how my mind works.

@trettonkilolax: Save your edited files (as tk102 pointed out) into the Override folder. If you haven't got one then... create one in the game's main directory.
 trettonkilolax
05-30-2007, 2:00 PM
Eek, you changed a .bif file? To answer your question, bif files go in the data folder inside the game installation folder. Did you also edit the chitin.key file at the same time? (you would need to). The chitin.key goes in the root of the game installation folder.

I strongly suggest you make backups of these files.

There is no reason to have to edit a .bif file. It is always better to extract the resource you want to use and place the modified version of the resource in the override folder.

Ok maybe it isn't named a BIF-file, but it was under the category BIFs in the Kotor Tools.. so I figured...

I just altered an item to not be a "Plot item" and wondered how to use that change in the game.

Edit: @trettonkilolax: Save your edited files (as tk102 pointed out) into the Override folder. If you haven't got one then... create one in the game's main directory.

Ok thx, but does it need to have a certain directory in the override-folder? (So it is in the same folders as orginally, if you know what I'm talking about?).
 Darth333
05-30-2007, 2:10 PM
The *.uti files go in the Override folder. So As Pavlos said, just drop your file directly in there.

Btw, as a general rule, modified files go in the Override folder save for:
- files with a .mod, .erf or .rim extension: modules folder
- .wav files: sound folders
- .lip files (lipsync files): lips folder
- If you change the .tlk file, it goes directly in your SWkotor diectory but backup your original .tlk file before replacing it.
 trettonkilolax
05-30-2007, 2:31 PM
The *.uti files go in the Override folder. So As Pavlos said, just drop your file directly in there.

Ok, done, but when I load an old game save it doesn't apply, the item that I tested it on is still a plot item (the thing I wanted to test was to make a plot item to not be that any more) in my inventory. Does it not work with old saves?
 tk102
05-30-2007, 2:41 PM
If you have the item already, then your change will not be seen. Think of the file that you modified as a blueprint for an item. The game reads the blueprint to determine how to spawn the item in-game. Once it's spawned, the game doesn't need to refer to the blueprint anymore.

You have a couple options.
1) Load an older savegame and have the game spawn the new item.
2) Use the giveitem cheat to give yourself the item
3) Use KSE to add the item into your inventory
 trettonkilolax
05-30-2007, 2:56 PM
If you have the item already, then your change will not be seen. Think of the file that you modified as a blueprint for an item. The game reads the blueprint to determine how to spawn the item in-game. Once it's spawned, the game doesn't need to refer to the blueprint anymore.

You have a couple options.
1) Load an older savegame and have the game spawn the new item.
2) Use the giveitem cheat to give yourself the item
3) Use KSE to add the item into your inventory

Hm ok, I see. The item I tested it on was "Remnants of S-0D3", do you mean that I do the giveitem-cheat and enter the name of the file I altered?

But wouldn't that just make me a new item? Or would it replace my old item? If not it seems like I've have to load an older save. (I want the one that's already there to not be a plot item).
 tk102
05-30-2007, 3:13 PM
It would add a new item. If you want be rid of your old item, you'll need KSE to modify your savegame. It's a good idea to backup your savegame first before using KSE.
 trettonkilolax
05-30-2007, 3:27 PM
It would add a new item. If you want be rid of your old item, you'll need KSE to modify your savegame. It's a good idea to backup your savegame first before using KSE.

What is this "KSE" then?
 L0rdReV@n88
05-30-2007, 3:34 PM
that would be kotor save game editor
and it can be found here http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php)
 Pavlos
05-30-2007, 7:36 PM
.lip files (lipsync files): lips folder

Don't individual .lip files go into the override while those compiled into modulename_loc.mod (e.g. 303NAR_loc.mod) go in the lips folder?
Page: 1 of 1