Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Reskin not showing up

Page: 1 of 1
 Mercury314
01-19-2007, 5:48 PM
Hello there,

Being unable to find a similar problem at a glance (I might have missed it by accident, tracking through a douzen or so pages of posts), I thought I'd join up and ask directly.

I seem to be having a problem with a reskinning project for KOTOR 1 that I began. I have extracted the skin I needed using the KOTOR tools, changed it and saved it. I then placed it in the override directory, assuming the game would detect my file over the original and use it instead. However, upon testing, the texture does not appear to be used in game.

I have looked at case sensitivity in the filename, which is not an issue, tried both a .tga and .tgc extention for the file, etc. I also experimented using high, medium and low quality textures in the game itself.

I seem to be unable to figure out why this particular texture is not copied, while others from other mods are. Is this a specific issue to head textures perhaps? If anyone could help me with this little conundrum, I would be most greatful for their help. Thanks!
 m16965
01-19-2007, 6:19 PM
Just so you know you need to save the new texture as exactly the same name as before or do some .2da editing :D

I
 Darkkender
01-19-2007, 6:24 PM
Your file does need to be a tga however I would recomend checking the dimensions of the file. Make certain your tga is either 256x256 or 512x512 for a robe or armor skin. The dimensions should be 256x256 for a head skin.
 Mercury314
01-19-2007, 6:24 PM
I figured out the problem. Wasn't the wrong name, but my editor, for some reason, has the tga default set to 16 bits instead of 32, so the game found the file to be the wrong format and subsequently neatly ignored it.

Thanks for the help all, it works now :)
 Shrub91
01-19-2007, 7:57 PM
Your file does need to be a tga however I would recomend checking the dimensions of the file. Make certain your tga is either 256x256 or 512x512 for a robe or armor skin. The dimensions should be 256x256 for a head skin.
Why not 1024 x 1024???
 Darkkender
01-20-2007, 12:48 AM
Why not 1024 x 1024???

While the I believe the game can handle the texture as it is of proper dimensions it is very memory intensive. A 1024x1024 image is 4 times the size of a 512x512 image. In game you don't gain any more quality over a texture that is sized 1024x1024 as a 512x512 image so all your doing is forcing the game to use more of your memory resources. Not to mention if you are making the mod a public release people are now downloading an image that is 4 times larger for a high speed user it's no biggie however for those using dialup 4MB vs 1MB is a big difference.
 worm
01-29-2007, 5:01 AM
ok...i got bored and re-skinned some of the default heads-saved them w/the SAME name and at 32bit....but the original skins are still being used...

like i said, no name changes, just some simple tweaking in photoshop, nothing else.
Is there anything in K1 that prevents this?

I reskinned the Trask head and the game uses it w/o any problems-these were re-skins of the pc heads...
the reskins of npcs seem to work-just not the reskin of pc heads....

I even went so far as to rename the the pc heads and create new entries in the 2da files(along w/the model files-again just renaming the stock pc head and model-absolutely no mdl/mdx editing...)

So does anyone have any ideas as to why the stock heads are showing up rather than the reskinned versions?

and out of curiosity i checked the swkotor.ini file-what is the setting for the hi-res textures? As it is now, it is set at 2 for the texture quality, I am just wondering if this setting is causing the reskins not to be used...

I'm a bit frustrated atm, so I've been checking everything....

The only thing i haven't tried is saving the reskins at a lower res...but if the game is set to use the hi-res tex, this isn't(or shouldn't be) the answer...
 Darkkender
01-29-2007, 12:37 PM
What are the dimensions on your custom head textures. Most of the time it is because your dimensions are either too large, too small, or are uneven example 512x256 rather than 512x512. Those 3 reasons will kill an overriding texture everytime.

As to the Hi-res tex reference I need to double check but I believe it is #2 as that ini reference probably uses array naming which means it starts at 0 and not 1.
 worm
01-29-2007, 12:45 PM
no the sizes are all 256x256....

later on i had figured out what i had done wrong-or failed to check...there were .tpc files that were in the override folder and that caused the problems...it was the last thing i checked....

thanks for the answer....apologies for not posting earlier that i fixed it, but i needed to sleep... :wornout:
 BlazeHoliday
01-29-2007, 4:51 PM
although i can't contribute to the questions that are being asked here, i'd like to say welcome to the community to worm and Mercury314!

Blaze :twoguns:
Page: 1 of 1