Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Tattoo Mod help requested

Page: 1 of 1
 Gamer6432
12-07-2006, 1:35 AM
OK, I want to make a mod that replaces those rather ugly creased and cracked dark side faces with tattoo patterns.

My problems is that I don't know which files are for the PC faces and the party member NPCs.

I have searched, but I have found nothing on how to locate at the files I want to modify (I could be blind and not seeing them though).

I'm still a little unsure as to how to get them in game, but I figure there are plenty of tutorials for that I can look up when the time comes.

Any help in getting started would be greatly appreciated.
 m16965
12-07-2006, 1:53 AM
okay in the kotor tool go down to ERFs>swpc_tex_tpa.erf>P> then you should find down at the bottom there are files called P_attonH1 you want the darkside ones so go to P_attonh1D1/2 you can aso edit the clothes of the partymembers :D

good luck!

-mando16965
 Gamer6432
12-07-2006, 2:06 AM
Thanks, though I think I've pretty much figured out most of my questions on my own.

Just one more question, would dropping the .tga files in the Override folder be enough. Or do I need to do something more?
 Gamer6432
12-07-2006, 4:04 AM
OK, edited and placed the faces in game.

Now I need to know if there is anyway to get the tattoos on only one side of the face (e.g. under only one eye). Right now everything is mirrored on the face and I can't do any asymmetrical designs.
 Terra
12-07-2006, 4:24 AM
I was under the impression it couldn't be done... However I'm pretty new to modding myself and all I've made is just simple robe textures so...
 Gamer6432
12-07-2006, 4:44 AM
I think I've seen a screen shot with an asymmetrical face design, though I could easily be wrong.

I've tried every image configuration I can think of and nothing works. All I get are horribly mismatched textures.
 Ambrose
12-07-2006, 8:08 AM
Can't wait to see this mod come out, I'm sick and tired of looking ugly in my DS games too! :)
 Torthane
12-07-2006, 10:10 AM
I think I've seen a screen shot with an asymmetrical face design, though I could easily be wrong.

I've tried every image configuration I can think of and nothing works. All I get are horribly mismatched textures.

This is something that gets me angry about KOTOR, no double sided face textures. As far as I know the only way you can get both sides of a character's face is to completely re-texture-map them, and I can't tell you how to do that. There are a few textures that have non-symetrical textures such as Azkul and Sion but unless you can re-map I think you're stuck. Sorry I didn't have better news, but good luck with your project!
 Gamer6432
12-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Can't wait to see this mod come out, I'm sick and tired of looking ugly in my DS games too! :)

Well, don't hold your breath. I'm still waiting on permision for use of the tattoo patterns. If it end up being denied I'll have to look elsewhere, as my artistic skills don't exist.
 m16965
12-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Well, don't hold your breath. I'm still waiting on permision for use of the tattoo patterns. If it end up being denied I'll have to look elsewhere, as my artistic skills don't exist.
well i cant wait and for all my skinning jobs i make my own patterens it makes the mod yours :D
 ace92
12-07-2006, 1:30 PM
how do i do,if i want to...like when a force power is activated the tattos are apearing?
 Gamer6432
12-07-2006, 2:01 PM
how do i do,if i want to...like when a force power is activated the tattos are apearing?

If you mean add the tattoos ingame using a feat/item/force power, I don't think that's possible. The only texture swapping that I know of is for the dark side transitions, and that isn't something you can alter without changing your alignment.

Do keep in mind, that I'm pretty new to KOTOR modding myself, so I probably have as many questions as you do.
 stoffe
12-07-2006, 2:31 PM
If you mean add the tattoos ingame using a feat/item/force power, I don't think that's possible. The only texture swapping that I know of is for the dark side transitions, and that isn't something you can alter without changing your alignment.

You could do it by making an extra appearance type for each appearance which has the tattoos, and then switch appearance of the caster in the force power's impact script. Though that would be a fair lot of work for such a relatively minor cosmetic change. :)
 ace92
12-07-2006, 2:34 PM
can i like make the force power change my alignment and by so make it to change the appearance of my Char.?
 Gamer6432
12-07-2006, 2:53 PM
can i like make the force power change my alignment and by so make it to change the appearance of my Char.?

If you want to change your alignment, either use the console to add DS or LS points, or use the TSL Hak Pad mod by ChAiNz.2da
 Terra
12-08-2006, 4:16 AM
You could still make some OK symmetrical designs...
I would be willing to help with the artistic side, though so far my texture editing skills are pretty poor as i don't know how to predict where the model distorts the texture.
i.e. i put a straight line on the face and it ends up wonky in game...
 ace92
12-08-2006, 7:56 AM
no i want to use the force power to change my alignment temporary,i mean if the force power time is 10 sec. than i'l be darkside for 10 sec. how can i do that?
 Terra
12-08-2006, 8:12 AM
I won't try to answer your question since I'm not experienced in scripting... However I would assume this is possible, I might try and start to learn to make force powers and perhaps this can be my first project, sounds easy enough...

However returning on topic; I tried some basic tattoos however they don't look all that great in game... I must say as a texture i think they look nice though... but unfortunately TSL must not agree with me... =D
If you wanna look at my textures I'll send them to you, but i wasn't intending to make them anything special, was just testing...

EDIT: Hmmn... One thing with tattoos is that the minor details dont look great ingame... when you are choosing portrait and it is close up they look nice, but in game (well at least with my computer/tattoos) they looked like someone isnt very accurate when putting on their make-up.... :P
 stoffe
12-08-2006, 8:43 AM
no i want to use the force power to change my alignment temporary,i mean if the force power time is 10 sec. than i'l be darkside for 10 sec. how can i do that?

This should work as an impact script for a force power that changes the alignment (and appearance) to Darkside mastery for 10 seconds and then returns it to what it was before:

void main() {
object oTarget = GetSpellTargetObject();
int iForce = GetGoodEvilValue(oTarget);
float fDur = 10.0;

ApplyEffectToObject(DURATION_TYPE_INSTANT, EffectVisualEffect(9004), oTarget);
SetGoodEvilValue(oTarget, 0);
AdjustAlignment(oTarget, ALIGNMENT_DARK_SIDE, 0, TRUE);

DelayCommand(fDur, ApplyEffectToObject(DURATION_TYPE_INSTANT, EffectVisualEffect(9002), oTarget));
DelayCommand(fDur, SetGoodEvilValue(oTarget, iForce));
DelayCommand(fDur, AdjustAlignment(oTarget, ALIGNMENT_LIGHT_SIDE, 0, TRUE));
}
 Terra
12-08-2006, 8:51 AM
Heh, looks like i got beaten to it, though I'm not surprised. Even if i did know how to script, I doubt i could match stoffe's genius anyway... :P
 ace92
12-08-2006, 8:52 AM
yeah but i meant like i have my force power

void main() {
effect eLink1 = EffectAbilityIncrease(ABILITY_STRENGTH, 75);
eLink1 = EffectLinkEffects(eLink1, EffectBlasterDeflectionIncrease(100));
eLink1 = EffectLinkEffects(eLink1, EffectAttackIncrease(3));
eLink1 = EffectLinkEffects(eLink1, EffectVisualEffect(VFX_DUR_BODY_FUAL));

int iIdx;

for (iIdx = 0; iIdx < GetPartyMemberCount(); iIdx++) {
object oParty = GetPartyMemberByIndex(iIdx);
ApplyEffectToObject(DURATION_TYPE_TEMPORARY, eLink1, oParty, 20.0);
}
}

now in it i want it to change my alignment temporary and by that changeing my looks that my tattos showing up...

p.s
i'm sorry it's not in code form something wrong with it everytime i push the code button it's pushing the page up
 Gamer6432
12-08-2006, 11:09 AM
I tried some basic tattoos however they don't look all that great in game... I must say as a texture i think they look nice though... but unfortunately TSL must not agree with me... =D
If you wanna look at my textures I'll send them to you, but i wasn't intending to make them anything special, was just testing...

EDIT: Hmmn... One thing with tattoos is that the minor details dont look great ingame... when you are choosing portrait and it is close up they look nice, but in game (well at least with my computer/tattoos) they looked like someone isnt very accurate when putting on their make-up.... :P

If you could send me your tattoo ideas (not applied to the face textures) I'm pretty good at positioning things around texture breaks. My main problem lies in my complete lack of artistic talent.
 Terra
12-09-2006, 2:37 AM
Alright so is psd format ok or shall i make it black on white or something?

Also, what style of tattoos were you looking for... tribal sort of tattoos... ummn... i dunno.. lol.
I'll try to make them look as DS as possible i suppose... it might be easier if we get on an instant messenger or something so its easier for your to tell me want you want or i'll probably end up making something entirely different to what you had in mind...
 Gamer6432
12-09-2006, 10:23 PM
psd format is fine, and I don't particularly care what type the tattoos are.

If you need to contact me on IM my AIM is gamer6432, MSN is [email snipped] and yahoo is gamer6432. I'll try to stay online most of the time.

Mod note: Please don't post e-mail addresses in the forums. Use the Private Message system for such contact information, or set up your profile to allow others to email or IM you via it. Posting e-mail addresses on the forums will only invite harvesting spam-bots. ~M
 Terra
12-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Alright I added you on msn, i have done a few quick designs but im not sure how well they will fit...
 Gamer6432
12-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Alright I added you on msn, i have done a few quick designs but im not sure how well they will fit...

If they aren't a perfect fit I can always crop and resize them.
 EnderWiggin
12-10-2006, 6:52 AM
psd format is fine, and I don't particularly care what type the tattoos are.

If you need to contact me on IM my AIM is gamer6432, MSN is and yahoo is gamer6432. I'll try to stay online most of the time.

I'm thinking that is your email address, which is prohibited in this here forum from being posted.

_EW_
 Terra
12-10-2006, 8:10 AM
Indeed it would seem that way...
I've uploaded the psd's to my site for you, you can get them at http://members.westnet.com.au/retra6106/downloads/tattoos.rar)
 Gamer6432
12-10-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm thinking that is your email address, which is prohibited in this here forum from being posted.

_EW_

Well, I suppose that is an email address as well, however I have never checked it once. I created it for the sole purpose of an MSN messenger account. Anything actually sent to that email will never be received.

My apologies.

And thanks for the files, Terra.
 Terra
12-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Just wanted to ask... uhh, any progress? :D
Long time with no updates, and it seems that i can post again...
Page: 1 of 1