Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How does the data coding system of KotOR works?

Page: 1 of 1
 Joris1
08-02-2006, 5:55 AM
Hi,

I was always wondering how the data coding system of KotOR works. I want to write Modding tools but I can't decode the KotOR files because I don't know how the coding system works.

Can anyone help me? I don't want a code just a description how it is coded.

Greetings

Joris
 stoffe
08-02-2006, 6:33 AM
I was always wondering how the data coding system of KotOR works. I want to write Modding tools but I can't decode the KotOR files because I don't know how the coding system works.

Behold! (http://nwn.bioware.com/developers) ;)

(The core formats (GFF, TLK, ERF, KEY/BIF) are more or less the same for KotOR, with some minor differences.)
 Joris1
08-02-2006, 6:40 AM
Thanks! I know this site but I don't know how it can help me to decode the files. All I know now is if a type is an Integer, a String.... But not more.

What I want to know how I have to read out the files. As ASCII Encoding....

edit: I found something. Is it possible to read all as Binary??
 Darkkender
08-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Each of the files types are basically binary encoded. The ASCII portions are derived from the string references stored in the file formats data field. The only format that could truly be considered pure ASCII would be the decompiled models so that they can be read into 3ds max or gmax. The Key file is also relatively an ASCII file as well.

If your interested in making tools I would recomend visiting Torlack's Site (http://www.torlack.com/) there you can download the C++ sourcecode to his various NWN tools. These can form a very good foundation for you to further understand the programming of the file formats.
 Joris1
08-03-2006, 5:11 AM
Thanks man! I think, this will help me! :)
Page: 1 of 1