Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Empire At War - Realism

Page: 1 of 1
 Marku
02-20-2006, 7:26 AM
I did a thread like this at the time of demo release and was wondering if there were still modders out there who were going to give the game abit more depth/realism(like maybe shps are too easy to build, maybe need to be more expensive?, some ships too powerful or weak, taking over planets too easy, getting to planets too fast?) the campaign map gameplay im mainly annoyed at, it could of been alot better. Planet conquer needs a feel of struggle, more reward due to your efforts.

stuff like that. any fans of rome total realism should know what i am craving for :-P
 Slocket
02-20-2006, 2:51 PM
I would like a longer more Epic feel. I want smaller fleets more tougher ships that last longer so tactics would be of use. It is too arcadish and just a bum rush tactic. Space travel should be way slower.

It would take a quite a bit of time to make everything last longer and slow it all down. Then you must make sure it is still balanced...then you must pray the AI understands this. That maybe changed I think via the LUA scripts.

Look how fast shields drop due to all the missle type projectiles. Why have shields? They drop their pants faster than Peewee Herman at a peep show with a bucket of popcorn.

Concussion missile (lite torpedo) should have a different effect than normal Proton Torpedo (regular torpedo). You can make one do more damage via the Armor_Damage Matrix to a smaller say corvete class ship than a capital ship hardpoint via SW canon.

How about them Apocalyptic ground Bombing Runs? Way too over powered. Once you lost your base shield it it GAME OVER for that planet. It can be toned done also.

I want to make changes to make the game more EPIC like a real Star Wars movie, and make sure the AI does not suffer for it. I believe alot can be done to achieve such end result.
 Tom Servo
02-20-2006, 3:12 PM
I would love to see something like this, but i don't have a lot of time to make it myself.
 Marku
02-20-2006, 3:13 PM
i guess what needs to be done is nerf every unit's attack and defence stats so that battles last longer. Income for planets could be lowered abit and the ship costs could be more expensive.
 Tom Servo
02-20-2006, 4:08 PM
I think:
1. Bigger health on ships(Hull and Shields)
2. Income for imperials/rebels more than halved.(A bit increased for pirates)
3. Hyperspace speed decreased.
4. Tech upgrades slowered and made more expensive.
5. Streamline rock/paper/scissors approach for both space and ground.(I have no ideas on this one)
6. Stations gain massive shield health and pop caps for space higher.(Trying to test a x1.5 approach)
 Zarkis
02-20-2006, 5:07 PM
You can download my personal realism mod here (http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=2659.0). It's far from being finished, but testing & comments are welcome.
 ath12
02-20-2006, 5:52 PM
Im currently working on a realism/balance mod that will include some of the following

Land Battles

I felt AT-ST were quite pointless as the only thing they are good at killing is turrets and well everything is good at killing turrets. So I increased their accuracy against infantry units.

I felt that the empire always had more resources and a much larger army then the rebellion, so I made the empire stormtroopers squads come in three squads of 10 rather then two squads of nine. To balance this issue I reduced stormtroopers hitpoints. So now land battles have more of an epic feel with the mass waves of stormtroopers and the more trained rebels fighting them off.

As a balance issue I thought it was unfair for one vehicle during a huge fight to slip in and run over hundred of troopers, so I got rid of all trampling effects on both sides. (This option will be seperate from the rest so you can decide if you want this or not).

I increased the cap you can have in a land fight by a small ammount so that it has a more epic feel but at the same time isnt a huge ammount of micromanagement.

Space Battles

I increased the cap from 20 to 40

I felt that capital ships shields were next to pointless as they get wiped out quick, so I increased the shields on all capital ships.

I decresed the accuracy on fighters on the tartan and Ccorvette units so that they cant wipe out fighters as easily as they were.

I increased the unit production of the Acclamator two 2 per construction I did the same with the Neb B Frigate. (more epic feel) (im thinking of doubling up every unit so you get 2 for one on everything just to see how it works with lag and balance issues.)

With the increased space cap I thought that it may be too easy to rush a Space Station and destroy it with no problem so I increased the stations hit points.

I Made Obi Wan Konobi able to fight adequatly in space. (just added shields and weapons to his shuttle)

I made Darth Vader in space slightly stronger

Im thinking of taking away the ion cannons ability to disable a ships engine and make it just do damage like hyper velocity

Galactic Conquest

I made travel much slower
To travel from one planet to an adjacent planet it takes one full day
To Travel from one planet to two planets away takes two full days and so on.

With Travel being slower I increased Currency for home planets only, Making them huge targets to the enemy.

I increased the cost of space stations
I decreased the cost of some vehicles
I decreased the cost of tartans and Ccorvettes

Any changes you would like to see added that are resonable and deal with only galactic conquest, space, or Land (no skirmish stuff please)

Then tell me here, as soon as I get this done I will put it here for download
 ath12
02-20-2006, 5:57 PM
Something else I forgot to add

is I made a new unit for both sides
using the commander models

Sniper

Capable of one shotting a single infantry
Large cooldown in between shots
only has 5 hitpoints which makes him die in a few shots from infantry and one shot from vehicles.
 Zorromorph
02-20-2006, 9:31 PM
I'm working on something along these lines. It will involve a complete overhaul on unit stats for land/space combat and make pretty much everything take longer to different degrees: space travel, training of units in particular, etc. In the future you'll see something about ZorroMod on these forums(I was going to use EpicMod but that's already taken by Lion), that's when you'll know its at least under way.
 Orao
02-20-2006, 9:50 PM
ATH12

I was looking at the AI in XML files and I can't find where the agressivnes is calculated. I would like to add some temporization befor the AI will actualy attack me in ground battles.

Do you know in which file this is ?

Thank you.
 vanen22
02-20-2006, 9:59 PM
ATH12

I look forward to your mod
 LenaMarieD
02-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Its Realistic for the Empire to have massive armies and fleets you know. If the Empire was as poor as the rebels, they wouldnt be able to build SSDs and Death Stars. Keep that in mind with realism mods. Also i agree rebels should be fewer but tougher while imps should be plentiful but die faster.

Could you realism mod guys also look into the population spawns? Its totally unrealistic for civlians to be spawning and attacking constantly, should be on a timer. Also Pirates need to be toned down, pirates shouldnt be more powerful then both the empire and rebellion. Pirate squads down AT-Ats with ease!
 Zorromorph
02-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Population spawns for indigenous guys is a very easy timer to edit. What do you think would be good? I was thinking there should be a lot more of them but then not respawn. Other thoughts?
 MistenTH
02-21-2006, 12:45 AM
I'm working on my own personal one too, to be more in line with SW lore and better balancing. Just need to figure out what some of the XML lines actually do. Primarily space skirmish though.
 LenaMarieD
02-21-2006, 12:53 AM
I think lots and no respawn would be good for pop spawns, maybe 4 groups per building then no more
 ath12
02-21-2006, 2:33 AM
Some things I have added

Made Heros respawn timer shoot from 4 mins to 30 mins so keep those heros alive

Made all population on all planets stop despawning after one

Created new unit

Storm Trooper Legion
Two squads of 50 storm troopers

I also increased rebel infantry damage to offset this and placed squashable back into the game.

Made the sniper for only rebels

Slowed Bombing run timer for balance

Tomorrow I will start on decreasing income
tweaking travel time
increasing structure and unit costs

I also took out double ships for one production

I should have a version one release by this Wed

If you would like to see anything else let me know
 Slocket
02-21-2006, 2:47 AM
I think people should infinite spawn in the game. it is the only way political popularity can be expressed by the planet. Some planets do not like you and fight against you. You can always destroy their buildings to stop spawning. It is part of the game strategy -what little exist- to show there really is a war.

I think it is important. 6 Billion people are not just going to lay down their firearms that easy. Some planets favor the Rebels, other like the Imperials.

The way this game plays fast, I would set hero respawn to about no longer than 20 minutes. That is very much on your play style. So not alot arguement.

Instead of longer wait of Bombing Runs, the destruction power of a bombing run should be nerfed ALOT (or a combination). It only takes one good Bombing Run to get through and totally destroy your army and buildings. The AI especially cheats and can see you through the fog of war.

Do something about that annoying Artillery fire. make that longer between firing, the map are so small, no where to hide really. Make Artillery fire more effective upon fixed implacements like turrets and buildings (they got a location on them) less damage to infantry (small moving target), then average damage to vehicles (bigger but tougher armor).
 EmperorJello
02-21-2006, 3:14 AM
It makes absolutely no sense to have Imperials die quicker than Rebels--they're far better trained and equipped. Did you folks miss the very first few moments of the original film, where crack Rebel troops are getting mowed down by Imperial stormtroopers? Curious, isn't it?

The Rebels aren't supposed to engage the Empire directly. Their strength is in their guerilla style of warfare. If they stepped toe to toe with the Empire, they'd be slaughtered.
 Zorromorph
02-21-2006, 9:30 PM
The problem is that the EAW engine basically requires them to go toe-to-toe with the Empire. In that situation you have two options: give the Alliance side no chance whatsoever to do anything than die quickly -- or make balance more important than realism. There is no third option, unless something can be done to give the rebels advantadges in areas other than combat that are both realistic and help stabilize the situation.
 dookie23
02-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Im working on a Pirate mod atm, so far I made the space battles seem so much better instead of corvettes,frigates and captials just lay there. They actually move like fighters giving much more entertainment or realism. ;)
Page: 1 of 1